Latest news:

To splash the cash or not, that is the question...
Discussion started by soapylily , 10 April, 2019 22:11
To splash the cash or not, that is the question...
soapylily 10 April, 2019 22:11
As much as Alfie would like the board to splash the cash, Lowton's return epitomised the strength in depth and quality of signings over the past few seasons without spending unrealistically. Wasn't the most recently released wage bill including bonuses over 80 million. All this and look at the bench and without Defour most of the season. I don't think our 17th position before the game last week accurately reflects our capabilities. 9th to 12th would be more realistic. So hasn't the board got it right?

Re: To splash the cash or not, that is the question...
Jilted 10 April, 2019 22:39
Ffs, a few weeks ago some Burnley fans were wanting SD out. If you splash the cash to bring in better quality you also have to splash the cash on wages, and don’t forget the agent’s fee. There’s a few clubs on the brink of administration/extinction because they can’t balance their books, ‘buyer beware’.

Alfie 14 April, 2019 17:46
Quote:
soapylily
As much as Alfie would like the board to splash the cash, Lowton's return epitomised the strength in depth and quality of signings over the past few seasons without spending unrealistically. Wasn't the most recently released wage bill including bonuses over 80 million. All this and look at the bench and without Defour most of the season. I don't think our 17th position before the game last week accurately reflects our capabilities. 9th to 12th would be more realistic. So hasn't the board got it right?

Soapy,I'd like them to splash the cash on some decent signings and not on players who will never get in the first team hardly..

We need to add to our ever increasing list of good players coming through for next season ..

Shanghaiclaret 15 April, 2019 12:26
Anyone we buy has to be better than the existing player. Buying players as squad members is just bullshit and a way to waste money

Prediction League Champion 2007-2008

soapylily 15 April, 2019 13:37
Which squad members have we wasted money on besides Joe Hart?

Alfie 15 April, 2019 22:42
Quote:
soapylily

Hart, Walters, Vydra, Ulvestadt, Long(Chris), Defour, Bamford, Flanagan, Jutkiewicz,

Shanghaiclaret 16 April, 2019 08:32
Thanks Alfie. Plus Lennon.

To name but a few

Dave Thomas 16 April, 2019 08:53
Alfie add Henning and Vossen...and now Crouch.
The list of B list strikers that have been signed...oh add Sordell… must now be in double figures...oh add Wells...

talk now of Vydra to Leeds
and Hart to Norwich

Alfie 16 April, 2019 09:50
Glad I'm not on my own in thinking we have made some poor signings.. No doubt Next season will be no different to the board after we have survived another season with the squad we have..Onwards and downwards.lol

Shanghaiclaret 16 April, 2019 12:02
We need quality, not quantity

soapylily 18 April, 2019 16:34
Quote:
Alfie
Quote:
soapylily

Hart, Walters, Vydra, Ulvestadt, Long(Chris), Defour, Bamford, Flanagan, Jutkiewicz,
Seriously? Defour?!!! The forwards you mention haven't had much of a sniff except Jukes though they would have had if the first choice strikers had got injured. Bamford was only on loan and Lennon - that's harsh, he has had some good performances.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 18/04/2019 16:38 by soapylily.

Alfie 19 April, 2019 22:13
Quote:
soapylily
Quote:
Alfie
Quote:
soapylily

Seriously? Defour?!!! The forwards you mention haven't had much of a sniff except Jukes though they would have had if the first choice strikers had got injured. Bamford was only on loan and Lennon - that's harsh, he has had some good performances.

D4 a Great player ,injury prone .. Get rid now we have seen the best of him.. Shame really..

soapylily 22 April, 2019 02:29
The next transfer window will be telling. We have the oldest squad on the Premiership, and probably the best your English player in McNeil and an England centre half. I can see a big reshuffle of which Vokes was the first. However, who really should go? Who has let themselves or the team down when called on? Not an easy one to answer.

Alfie 23 April, 2019 21:17
Time for the board to show their mettle by spending some money and buying some good players instead of @#$%& footing about with Schite signings.. If we sign anybody decent I will be surprised..

So_Cal_Claret 24 April, 2019 04:19
I keep saying, the Prem is not a fair competition. We will not splash the cash as we have to prepare ourselves for the inevitable relegation that will happen at some point, But the main reason we will not splash the cash is because, despite the millions we get, we simply do not have the cash to splash that will make a difference. The existence of the club and its' importance to the community is far more important than being in the Prem. You can't gamble with that.

We cannot compete with the top six, actually, probably the top ten / twelve in terms of fees and especially wages. In many ways, I wish the top six would just bu**er off and let the rest of us have a decent competition - but there would be a hell of a lot less money for everyone if that happened,

Shanghaiclaret 24 April, 2019 05:13
Well if SD continues with his record of having new signings sitting out the first year at the Turf, we should see Tarkowski moving on and Gibson stepping up to the first team level.
Similarly we should be seeing much more of Vydra next year.

We can say goodbye to: Ward,Crouch,Hart,Wells and Lennon. I would have Dufour on the list but he is unsaleable. Not sure about Bardsley and Lowton but I can see one of them going.

I also think that we may struggle to hang on to Pope.

That means we need to bring in:

Left Back, Central Defender, Right Back. Central midfielder(Our area of greatest weakness), Striker.

Ok Im kidding myself we won't bring all of those in. That means we won't sell a RB or Ward.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net