Latest news:
New Page 1

Days of old - football from a different era
Discussion started by Ivybridge Wolf , 06 April, 2020 11:09
Days of old - football from a different era
Ivybridge Wolf 06 April, 2020 11:09
I watched this, this morning. A great 10 minute film from December 1963 where the BBC followed, not Wolves, but the players of Swindon Town. It does have Wolves connections however, as it heavily features the late Ernie Hunt who seems to be good mates with Mick Summerbee. How football and footballers have changed ..... as well as the ground. I think I’ve seen Wolves play there, maybe 5-6 times.

Hope you enjoy it

BBC ‘Six days to Saturday’

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/74/97/b1/7497b1d1e231e8f83fc02db12bc473da--uk-football-sports-logos.jpg

Re: Days of old - football from a different era
Andy Fincher 06 April, 2020 14:56
Very interesting. Not a bad side with Ernie Hunt, Mike Summerbee, Bobby Woodruff, Don Rogers.
I remember taking a wooden rattle to matches when I was a kiddie. Don't remember so many supporters wearing a collar and tie though.
Amazing how it's changed. Playing football with kids in the street and look at those cars they're driving.

Lupinehowler 07 April, 2020 15:35
Good grief,
To think that I lived in that era starts to become frightening. Went to the ground on several occasions, later 60s when Don Rogers was sporting more of a Beatles haircut and was receiving rave reviews for his performances. How times have changed, and currently not for the better.
Take care everyone.

Cheshire wolf 10 April, 2020 11:54
I lived at RAF Lyneham and then Wootton Bassett from 1966 to 1971 and whilst remaining a Wolves fan I also took up supporting Swindon Town as it was easier to get to the County Ground and more affordable!! Obviously the highlight of that time for me was going to Wembley to see the Town beat Arsenal 3 - 1 in the 1969 League Cup Final with Roger Smart scoring the first and Don Rogers scoring twice. Wolves' own Bobby Gould scored the Arsenal goal to take the game into extra time. I still have my ticket, but can't lay my hands on it at the moment.
Don Rogers was a really nice and down to earth guy who ran a sports shop 'Don Rogers Sports' in Swindon. He served my brother in the shop one day and told him that his passion outside of football was table tennis. He of course followed Dave McKay to Derby County, ad we also lost our other top player who was right back Rod Thomas. John Trollope was the left back and he went on to set the record for (I think) the most consecutive league appearances which went into the 700's.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net