Latest news:
New Page 1

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Corona Virus
Discussion started by an angry wolf , 25 February, 2020 18:12
Corona Virus
an angry wolf 25 February, 2020 18:12
Given football matches are now being postponed in Europe such as Inter milan last weekend, I wouldn't be surprised to see the champions league/Europa league affected . The virus appears to be turning into a pandemic and wouldn't be surprised to see a death toll in the Uk of thousands as it is essentially now out of control. If the virus mutates even slightly which according to reports is highly likely, then we are looking at deaths of potentially millions of people which may/may not affect posters on here... granted it's a glass is half empty outlook but not as improbable as one may think.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2020 11:49 by Cheshire wolf.

Re: Corona Virus
Lupinehowler 25 February, 2020 20:13
Just looking forward to Thursdays match at the moment.

Sheffield WWFC 25 February, 2020 20:36
There are confirmed cases at the Hallamshire Hospital up the road from me. Therefore I am self-quarantining from Molineux until round of 16 as a precautionary measure.

an angry wolf 25 February, 2020 23:41
Well people may mock , but Inters Seria A match last week was postponed and will be playing Europa league games behind closed doors (starting tomorrow) so good luck getting a ticket there if we draw them in the next round. The Olympic games which is as big as it gets is on the verge of being cancelled this summer- I suspect every club including ours may get affected eventually

Lupinehowler 26 February, 2020 11:18
Not mocking at all Angry, in fact I have been following this outbreak well before it became mainstream news. Your predictions are spot on and I would expect the decisions that will be made by governments will curtail many if not all public gatherings.

Andy Fincher 26 February, 2020 16:26
Ireland's 6 Nations match against Italy next weekend has been postponed.

an angry wolf 26 February, 2020 16:42
Around half a million expected to die in the uk from it- suppose we all have to go sometime

an angry wolf 26 February, 2020 16:48
Ive enjoyed our foray into Europe this season and would just be our luck that our first season back in Europe for a generation is the season all European games are abandoned due to impending death.

an angry wolf 27 February, 2020 11:30
News says " Wolves fans are advised to travel to Barcelona with caution as there are confirmed cases of the virus in the city " How silly, how can you be "cautious" if someone sneezes over you in a packed stadium or public transport .

maiseytaw 27 February, 2020 13:10
I understand the concern about coronavirus but the media have whipped it up out of all proportion. The mortality rate is 3-4%. As a direct comparison, Ebola has a mortality rate of 90%. It's not the killer pandemic that the news channels want you to believe, it's actually barely more deadly than normal influenza.

an angry wolf 27 February, 2020 15:16
I've argued this point about the mortality rate on another forum maisey taw and you're correct - infact it's closer to 2% mortality but you're missing the point. This virus is far more contagious than flu meaning more are likely to get it hence the comparative potential huge number of fatalities compared with flu and the likely danger. If you consider 4% of the worlds population equates to around 300 million , it's hardly insignificant.

Lupinehowler 27 February, 2020 16:01
Interesting that at the moment there is as much attention being paid to the damage being done to the stock market as to the human cost.
The great worry amongst the scientific community is that the virus mutates and becomes a more deadly strain, made more likely the wider it spreads.

maiseytaw 27 February, 2020 17:24
Quote:
an angry wolf
I've argued this point about the mortality rate on another forum maisey taw and you're correct - infact it's closer to 2% mortality but you're missing the point. This virus is far more contagious than flu meaning more are likely to get it hence the comparative potential huge number of fatalities compared with flu and the likely danger. If you consider 4% of the worlds population equates to around 300 million , it's hardly insignificant.

I understood your point, I did say I understood concerns about coronavirus but it's far more likely that the infection rate will slow significantly and the world will come up with an effective vaccine than it infecting the entire world population. In fact, until it's infecting a very large percentage of the world population, you're still more likely to get shot dead on your doorstep than catch it in the first place, let alone be one of the unlucky 4%.

an angry wolf 27 February, 2020 17:45
Indeed Lupine, many suspect it may mutate creating a completely different dynamic into the fatality ratio that we currently have.

I believe there is a strong possibility the virus has been genetically engineered- the so called " market " where it apparently originated from is metres away from a Chinese bio lab … a very unlikely coincidence. Let's face it , there may be some good in humanity, but the human race is generally vile and has been murdering each other since time began. It has progressed beyond bows and arrows, to guns ,to bombs, to potentially nuclear holocaust and now biological warfare which we have already seen on a lesser scale in other countries.

an angry wolf 28 February, 2020 11:44
You may be right Cheshire regarding the HIV virus, but it's all speculation where it came from with the consensus of opinion believing it started from Africa. I'd argue it was more likely down to hunters coming in contact with monkey blood contrary to one being shafted on valentines night in the Congo but who knows.

Regarding the Corona virus, all swiss matches are off and even Bruce at Newcastle is on the news saying players have been banned from shaking hands on the training ground. Inter milan are playing games behind closed doors and even if this virus doesn't affect us all healthwise, it's extremely likely it will affect things like the football programme with the Europa league etc in jeopardy

an angry wolf 29 February, 2020 21:24
I see one of my posts has been removed , the board is quiet enough without draconian censorship- this will be my last post on here

Cheshire wolf 01 March, 2020 11:48
Quote:
`
I see one of my posts has been removed , the board is quiet enough without draconian censorship- this will be my last post on here

I did some tidying up on the board yesterday Angry, but I can't account for how your post would have been removed! I've just noticed that the title of this thread and the Europa League Thread were changed, and I don't know how that happened, but I have set about restoring them. Ivybridge Wolf and I are the only two people who edit the board in any way, and we are much more focused on retaining members and encouraging new ones than removing or editing posts by any members of the board I can assure you. Mistakes happen occasionally and certainly - as you know - if I make one which cannot be repaired and I am aware of it I will own up and apologise.

Ivybridge Wolf 01 March, 2020 13:19
Quote:
`
Angry, similar to Cheshire, I cannot explain the deleted post. We need to retain and gain folk on here ... not lose.
I’ve looked through this thread this morning and others to find blank titles and posts etc, so wondered what was happening. I can see that there is at least one post from this thread gone because I read it during the Watford v Liverpool match yesterday and things have since altered but no idea how this might have occurred.
I echo Chesh’s comments about mistakes. This can be an incredibly clunky message board to moderate and publish articles but given the past history of the board over many years, purposeful deletion of posts and threads without explanation is a non starter.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/74/97/b1/7497b1d1e231e8f83fc02db12bc473da--uk-football-sports-logos.jpg

oldngold 02 March, 2020 00:11
There is obviously a lot of information out there on this subject. Of the various sites I have seen this article from the NY Times is one of the more sober and informative.

[www.nytimes.com]

Lupinehowler 04 March, 2020 20:06
Worrying spike in confirmed cases and the government now speaking, for the first time, about a probable epidemic. Sports events being cancelled and large public gatherings so it does make me think that our foray into Europe may sadly grind to a halt.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net