Latest news:
New Page 1

Thelwell leaves Wolves
Discussion started by Cheshire wolf , 03 February, 2020 16:52
Thelwell leaves Wolves
Cheshire wolf 03 February, 2020 16:52
Hot on the heels of head of Sport Science Phil Hayward leaving for the LA Galaxy, Sporting Director Kevin Thelwell will now also leave the club to join MLS club New York Red Bullsand Head of Sport. That is some senior members of staff lost by the club particularly when considered alongside Laurie Dalrymple who has not been replaced.
Unsurprisingly - considering the Dalrymple situation - Jeff Shi will take undertake Thelwell's role whilst the club 'examine their structure'.
There will undoubtedly be some fans who will celebrate Thelwell moving on, although personally I fail to see why, and I can't help wondering whether the club's reluctance to recruit first team players in the transfer window bears any relation to these recent developments.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/02/2020 17:04 by Cheshire wolf.

Re: Thelwell leaves Wolves
Ivybridge Wolf 03 February, 2020 18:42
Thelwell, I felt, was one of the Morgan stooges who kept the club back, creating player dossier after dossier, every more drossier than the last and assisting the then contemporary view of make do, mediocrity and PR BS.

In effect, I was surprised he stayed with us post Fosun arrival, either dodging a bullet or truly valued by Jeff and co.

The timing now is interesting, I’d speculate he’s waited to allow the transfer window to elapse prior to announcement. Was he due to be pushed, did he proactively jump ship, who knows, however regardless of my reservations for Thelwell, how on earth is Jeff Shi going to take over this role? And again, regardless of my reservations, what does this all mean with Dalrymple gone, Molineux redevelopment going quiet, Thomas Cook fiasco and now Thelwell. Sure, I freely admit I could be doing the old 2+2=5, though I do wonder just how rosy things really are behind the scenes.

In essence, I won’t be crying with dear old Kev doing the disappearing act, just wondering about any significance.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/74/97/b1/7497b1d1e231e8f83fc02db12bc473da--uk-football-sports-logos.jpg

Lupinehowler 03 February, 2020 20:10
There is a danger that we read too much into these recent developments when it may just be the natural evolution of things both for the club and the individuals. People change jobs for a multitude of reasons and there is little the employer can do about it other than restructure or employ a replacement. I was never quite sure what Thelwell did anyway but he must sell himself well to get the gig he has just secured. Big Jeff seems to be unfazed by the situation and hopefully the gap left will soon be filled although Fosun don’t do knee jerk so they may string us along for a while.
As long as we keep NES.

Ivybridge Wolf 04 February, 2020 10:06
Genuine question, reflecting on events, exactly how long since Thelwell was appointed as a director, 18 months? Not much longer I would have thought ?

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/74/97/b1/7497b1d1e231e8f83fc02db12bc473da--uk-football-sports-logos.jpg

Cheshire wolf 06 February, 2020 17:49
According to the OS Ivy he was installed in that position during the summer of 2016, which will probably surprise many of us!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net