Latest news:
New Page 1

It's bent
Discussion started by Andy Fincher , 30 December, 2019 14:36
It's bent
Andy Fincher 30 December, 2019 14:36
The General Secretary of the IFAB, who are the law makers of the sport, has released a statement that the Premier League are using VAR incorrectly for offside decisions. The statement says-

The Premier League are not using the VAR system correctly by reiterating that it should only be used to correct "clear and obvious" errors and should not be relied upon to try and pinpoint marginal offside calls that require lengthy stoppages to identify.

It's too late for the likes of us and Norwich (what a farce their offside was against Spurs) but the Premier League are making up their own rules. Mike Riley and the rest of the Stockley Park brigade should be sacked.

Re: It's bent
Ivybridge Wolf 30 December, 2019 15:19
Thanks Andy - It's disgraceful. Found a link here Independent Report

What did our clubs actually sign up for with VAR? As fans we certainly had no idea and the way it has impacted on the paying fan has been abyssmal. What detailed analysis have FA, Premier League and IFAB conducted to ensure micrometre measures are acceptable or not? Goal line technology took years of investment, research, development, refinement and careful testing prior to introduction. It is excellent and most importantly, completely accepted and instantaneous. Has the same level of research etc etc been put together for drawing a dubious offside crayon line on a fuzzy freeze frame?

What is the definition of 'clear and obvious' - this in itself is totally subjective. IFAB may well come out with such statements but what is the standard application. Seems woolly to me. Whatever the definition, our glorious premier league, the 'best league in the world' have got it totally wrong. Who in England has made the decisions on definition I wonder?

Same old arguments time after time, controvesy after controvesy, crass decision after crass decision but it doesn't change the fact - at present, VAR is destroying our sport. And nothing is being done, no semblence of acceptance that something is wrong, no accountability. Pathetic

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/74/97/b1/7497b1d1e231e8f83fc02db12bc473da--uk-football-sports-logos.jpg

wolf123 30 December, 2019 16:41
I initially defended VAR but as Andy says , it original purpose was for clear and obvious blatant errors contrary to zooming in on highly enhanced pixelated images determining if someones shoe laces are on or offside. The benefit should be given to the attacking player and in any doubt, the goal should stand which is how it used to be with clear daylight normally signifying whether a goal is deemed offside.

The penalty against city was an even greater farce with the main encroaching player being a man city one... in what world of common sense does someones foot being on a white line have relevance to a penalty being scored or not? We have now a situation where goals aren't being celebrated with a sport becoming too Americanised … tune into American football to watch the biggest abomination of "sport" known to man with a stop start event boring the hind legs off a donkey with much of the time spent discussing when they will be going to KFC after the game waiting for decisions.

Incidentally, it's no great surprise Mike Riley is a key figure in this farce... I went to goodison watching wolves there around 15 years ago and his performance was probably the worst from any referee Ive ever seen. He clearly hates Wolves and it's again no surprise I read in the paper last week we have lost more points due to VAR than any other team in the premiership( this was before the city/lpool games) They did a league table of where clubs would be without VAR and its subsequent decisions with points not counted with VAR over turning things … we were 4th

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/12/2019 16:43 by wolf123.

Lupinehowler 30 December, 2019 17:08
Can’t someone start a petition?

wolf123 30 December, 2019 18:28
https://i.postimg.cc/Nf4HdHK1/var.jpg

Andy Fincher 30 December, 2019 20:40
Can't you send this through to the Premier League, Angry? Not that it will do any good mind.

Ivybridge Wolf 30 December, 2019 22:22
BBC article

The above pretty much goes over the same stuff but has a league table of VAR For and Against.

That’s a great pictorial representation of the VAR degree of error. Great how the Prem are using it so forensically. ........ not

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/74/97/b1/7497b1d1e231e8f83fc02db12bc473da--uk-football-sports-logos.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/12/2019 22:40 by Ivybridge Wolf.

Ivybridge Wolf 30 December, 2019 22:56
Lupinehowler - I saw this petition from the Mix. Don’t really know what the ultimate objective is. I think it’s general rather than a Wolves thing (as it should be) . It had less than 5000 signatures this morning, 15000 by this evening

VAR petition

Lupinehowler 30 December, 2019 23:01
Whilst they have stated that VAR should only be used to amend “the clear and obvious “ I have a feeling that it will become a further bone of contention and thus give us further interruptions and delay/frustration. Scrap it.

Cheshire wolf 02 January, 2020 17:33
I think a big part of the problem is the criticism levelled at the referees and linesmen/women over the past few seasons, particularly by the so called 'experts 'on TV, even though the evidence point to over 95% of call being correct. I agree with all the above comments, but I'm afraid a petition is unlikely to have much effect, as i can't see much changing before the end of the season.

Having seen the dreadful decision to call Jack Grealish's heel offside in yesterday's game, it must surely become a real concern to the teams battling against relegation as the season progresses, that their future may be decided by equally mind-boggling decisions.

Lupinehowler 04 January, 2020 15:45
Thanks Ivy, petition signed although it probably will not have any effect at least until they review at the end of the season.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net