Latest news:
New Page 1

Concerning news on the funding front
Discussion started by maiseytaw , 29 October, 2019 06:43
Concerning news on the funding front
maiseytaw 29 October, 2019 06:43
[twitter.com]

Jeff Shi says as part of this interview "Now is not the time to always get funding from Fosun." Which is a bit of a red flag for me and explains the summer transfer window and would suggest January will be similar.

Re: Concerning news on the funding front
maiseytaw 29 October, 2019 11:09
Now in E&S - [www.expressandstar.com]

an angry wolf 30 October, 2019 19:00
This is very bad news and as close to saying " the club is up for sale " as it gets. I don't agree with Oldngolds links from dodgy sites in China implying Fosun lost only 40 million with the demise of Thomas Cook. Without going into too much detail, I'm 99% sure they have lost a huge sum of money ( well over 1 billion) and they are now looking to recoup a little with wolves or at the very least be much more prudent with financially backing their businesses.

I very much doubt Fosun will be here for much longer if they get a reasonable bid for the club and sadly suspect our season in Europe this season will be our last for a long time with relatively little invested in January or future transfer windows. I also think Nuno may well think he has taken the club as far as he can given this situation meaning our hopes each season are trying to stay in the league contrary to challenging teams in the top 8

Ivybridge Wolf 30 October, 2019 19:55
...... concerning stuff

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/74/97/b1/7497b1d1e231e8f83fc02db12bc473da--uk-football-sports-logos.jpg

Sheffield WWFC 31 October, 2019 11:30
Informative link to Financial Times at top of thread does show intent of Fosun towards the club better than the dumbed down version in the E&S. They see wolves not as an end in itself but part of their wider business plan in sport merchandise. Hence sending the players to China pre-season to take part in their fashion show and launching of these new crazy strips. I don't think they are planning to sell up but do want to use the club to build their global brand in sports merchandising outside China particularly Mexico, Portugal, etc..

Getting to and staying in the premiership was critically important to their strategy hence their willingness to run a loss of 57M for a season to get where we are now on top of the 45M purchase. Getting to the Champions league is less critically important to them short-term from a business perspective so not business sense to continue to run a loss for that end. Since the club is now valued at maybe 350M they will get their initial investment back through the additional partner and still be quids in as well as buiding strategic links. I would be extremely surprised if they sold up because they have a cash flow crisis. I would equally be surprised if they were willing to sustain ongoing losses improving the team to buy their way into the champions league.

I do think bringing champions league football to a redeveloped Molineux is their medium term strategy as part of building a broader global brand, but throwing money at January window to secure European football next season will not happen. Europa league has been fun this season but I don't think it matters that much to Fosun. As for us holding on to Nuno, we will see since Champions league may well be in his ambitions.

maiseytaw 31 October, 2019 12:35
Quote:
Sheffield WWFC
Informative link to Financial Times at top of thread does show intent of Fosun towards the club better than the dumbed down version in the E&S. They see wolves not as an end in itself but part of their wider business plan in sport merchandise. Hence sending the players to China pre-season to take part in their fashion show and launching of these new crazy strips. I don't think they are planning to sell up but do want to use the club to build their global brand in sports merchandising outside China particularly Mexico, Portugal, etc..
Getting to and staying in the premiership was critically important to their strategy hence their willingness to run a loss of 57M for a season to get where we are now on top of the 45M purchase. Getting to the Champions league is less critically important to them short-term from a business perspective so not business sense to continue to run a loss for that end. Since the club is now valued at maybe 350M they will get their initial investment back through the additional partner and still be quids in as well as buiding strategic links. I would be extremely surprised if they sold up because they have a cash flow crisis. I would equally be surprised if they were willing to sustain ongoing losses improving the team to buy their way into the champions league.

I do think bringing champions league football to a redeveloped Molineux is their medium term strategy as part of building a broader global brand, but throwing money at January window to secure European football next season will not happen. Europa league has been fun this season but I don't think it matters that much to Fosun. As for us holding on to Nuno, we will see since Champions league may well be in his ambitions.

Agree entirely with this. They will try to get top 4 and/or top 6 sustainably using their own shrewd business acumen rather than throw money at it, which is how most of us perceived their original stated aims. If they can't do it sustainably, it won't happen at all is what they're trying to say. Expect a slow January again and expect Nuno to move on next summer.

chicagowolf 31 October, 2019 14:40
So Fosun are selling the club and Nuno is heading out?
Wow, that is a bit scary.
On the other hand it is just possible that despite the understated losses from Thos Cook they may indeed deliver the promised Good January Window and build for the future. We know that the mid season window is expensive and has a hint of desperation about it but Jeff has spoken so it surely will be?
And Nuno may decide that the lure of Real Madrid or Arsenal might be fool’s gold (ask Dave Moyes). He too is in ‘building’ mode and if his affection for Wolverhampton is feigned (or cash dependent) that would be sad.

an angry wolf 31 October, 2019 15:31
Quote:
chicagowolf
So Fosun are selling the club and Nuno is heading out?
Wow, that is a bit scary.
On the other hand it is just possible that despite the understated losses from Thos Cook they may indeed deliver the promised Good January Window and build for the future. We know that the mid season window is expensive and has a hint of desperation about it but Jeff has spoken so it surely will be?
And Nuno may decide that the lure of Real Madrid or Arsenal might be fool’s gold (ask Dave Moyes). He too is in ‘building’ mode and if his affection for Wolverhampton is feigned (or cash dependent) that would be sad.

Chicago, I realise there is more than a hint of sarcasm in your post at the perceived melodrama but direct quotes from fosun have said that the time for significant investment is over. I'm not sure how you can expect or even hope for a good transfer window unless dare I say it we find some "hidden gems" . Regarding Nuno, I don't think if he feels he has taken the club as far as he can that it would be "feigned" however if Fosun don't intend to invest as heavily as we thought I doubt nuno will just want to remain at a club where the ceiling is a top half finish.

Ivybridge Wolf 31 October, 2019 19:06
[www.expressandstar.com]

Link to Jeff’s January plans, according to the E&S

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/74/97/b1/7497b1d1e231e8f83fc02db12bc473da--uk-football-sports-logos.jpg

an angry wolf 31 October, 2019 23:26
A certainly more encouraging article that seems to contradict comments made a few days ago- perhaps Fosun actually read the mix or dare I say here and are trying to reassure fans... better news reading that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net