Latest news:
New Page 1

Last match of the season, Liverpool and 1976
Discussion started by Ivybridge Wolf , 07 May, 2019 10:22
Last match of the season, Liverpool and 1976
Ivybridge Wolf 07 May, 2019 10:22
So we await our last match of this fantastic season at Anfield. It’s not working out quite as I wanted it but it’s close enough. Sadly the outstanding Kompany goal last night has potentially scuppered things, nevertheless I still live in hope. Essentially I wanted Liverpool to be in the driving seat next Sunday as I really wanted us to have the opportunity of us preventing them winning the league. Paradoxically I’d prefer them to win the title over Manchester City ....but not if we have the chance to stop them .... if you see what I mean.

The reason is ... I remember 1976, I was there. It’s revenge for 43 years of hurt! 8 years old and my first taste of relegation. The maths on the night was simple. We needed to win to stay up (and Blues v Sheffield United to go our way), Liverpool needed the victory to win the league (and prevent the title going to QPR).

Steve Kindon , the ‘tank’, stormed through in the first half and made it 1-0. Blues / Blades was looking good too. 15-20 minutes to go and we were hanging on and then disaster as what I remember as 2 from Toshack and 1 from Keegan (records correctly show Ray Kennedy, Toshack and Keegan as scorers) blitzed Liverpool to the title, wild pitch invasion celebrations from thousands of scousers and a subsequent European odyssey. We capitulated, were relegated, sacked McGarry, appointed Sammy Chung and I was heart broken. Could it be true that we, Wolves, would now be playing 2nd division football?

So this, as I see it, has been building up all season to reverse some of the turmoil that the 8 year old me felt on and from that May evening under the floodlights at Molineux. I might now need the unlikely intervention of Brighton, but I keep on dreaming! I just hope we take the game to them, in all honesty, I think we will!

UTW!

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/74/97/b1/7497b1d1e231e8f83fc02db12bc473da--uk-football-sports-logos.jpg

Re: Last match of the season, Liverpool and 1976
Andy Fincher 07 May, 2019 10:50
I know how you felt, I was there too. It, and much more, is all in the charity book "Growing Up With Wolves" by Andrew Fincher.

Lupinehowler 07 May, 2019 15:08
My kids asked what I wanted for my birthday last September so I said it would be nice to see Wolves play Liverpool as last match of the season. They are all currently living in Liverpool so my hopes of one of them being able to get a ticket were reasonable high.
Not a sniff of a ticket and currently changing hands for astronomical figures.
Ah well!!

Cheshire wolf 11 May, 2019 11:34
Nice tale Ivy. I too have wanted Liverpool to win the title simply because I don't tend to like things being dominated by one team - although I have to say if City had ended up with a chance of achieving the once in a lifetime quadruple I would have changed my tune - but I have to say I think it is City's for the taking, and what a team they are to watch in all fairness.

I think Nuno will attack Liverpool tomorrow and do all he can to win the game, as he should.

Unfortunately my Granddaughter's christening is scheduled for 12:30 tomorrow!! So I don't know how much of the match I will be able to see, but will keep fingers crossed. I don't expect to be able to conduct any sort of commentary but I will set up a page tomorrow morning so that others can share their observations.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net