Latest News:

Green and White stopped by Wright

league one action

By Alex O'Loughlin
February 5 2011

2011 has been a good year for the Glovers so far, but they lost their second home game of the year to a resurgent Charlton Athletic.

Terry Skiverton was forced into making one change coming into the game, with Dean Bowditch failing to recover from an injury which forced him off in midweek. His replacement was on-loan Andrew Tutte, making his first start for Yeovil Town. 

The game began in a relatively fast fashion, with Stephen Henderson tipping over a Johnnie Jackson free-kick in the opening few minutes, whilst at the other end Andy Williams had a shot deflected out for a corner leaving goalkeeper Rob Elliot scrambling for a moment.

From the resultant corner captain Paul Huntington wriggled free of his marker to get a free header on goal, although all he could manage to do was direct his effort over the bar in a quite wasteful effort.

With the Addicks fielding veteran defensive duo Christian Dailly and Gary Doherty, Yeovil looked to exploit this by putting the ball over the top, hoping one of either Williams or Oli Johnson would beat them to it.

That tactic had limited success although the one occasion where Johnson did threaten to get in he was fouled cynically by Doherty, who received a yellow card for his troubles. 

From another corner Huntington went close again, after a low corner was completely missed by a Charlton defender with the Yeovil captain's effort flying just wide of the post. On another day, Huntington could have easily had two goals. 

It would be fair to say that the Glovers dominated the opening 45 minutes, especially in terms of chances, although no one in the Green and White seemed to have the accuracy required to break the deadlock. 

Paul Wotton's free kick flew wide with Jose Semedo bearing down on him, whilst Andy Welsh spurned Yeovil's best chance, as he sliced his right footed shot wide from inside the box after Andy Williams had played him in.

The half time whistle blew with the scoreline still at 0-0 although Yeovil should have been in front. Despite a host of chances, they failed to test Rob Elliot and that would have been at the forefront of Terry Skiverton's half time team talk.

Half Time: Yeovil Town 0-0 Charlton Athletic

Charlton were unlikely to be as bad in the second half, and they weren't, as Bradley Wright-Phillips should have given them the lead early in the second period. 

Joe Anyinsah skinned and out muscled Max Ehmer before playing in Wright-Phillips but the new signing somehow shot wide from what could have only been 10 yards. 

But the striker didn't have to wait too long for a goal, when from a corner he rose above a ball watching Ehmer to head home from close range, giving the Addicks the lead on the 63rd minute. 0-1.

Skiverton responded by throwing on Alex Russell and Sam Williams for Andrew Tutte and Ed Upson respectively, as he looked for the guile to breakdown a solid Charlton.

The game did eventually become overshadowed by controversy however, as Gary Doherty once again fouled Andy Williams as he sprinted away up the line, but referee Karl Evans inexplicably didn't produce a second yellow.

Evans wasn't done their though, as he then denied the Glovers what seemed a blatant penalty, as Christian Dailly clearly blocked the ball with his hand right in front of the referee, who of course waved away the Yeovil appeals.

In a desperate attempt to salvage something Adam Virgo took the field upfront instead of Oli Johnson, but for all their huffing and puffing they couldn't produce any chances of note, and after six minutes of added time the full time whistle blew.

Position wise things don't change with the Green and Whites staying in 17th position, with a vital trip to Dagenham & Redbridge next Saturday becoming even more important than it already was. 

View a Printer Friendly version of this Story.

Bookmark or share this story with:


Yeovil Town Poll

How many points will guarantee safety?

See results > Submit >>