Latest News:

Up, Up and Away!

winning goal

By Alex O'Loughlin
February 2 2011

Yeovil Town have moved out of the bottom four after defeating a stuttering Plymouth Argyle side 1-0 at Huish Park.

Coming into the game manager Terry Skiverton made one change to the starting eleven, re-introducing Luke Ayling after suspension with the youngster replacing the departed Jean-Paul Kalala at right-back.

On the subs bench Adam Virgo returned from suspension, whilst new loan arrival Andrew Tutte went straight into the squad at the expense of Craig Calver.

The Pilgrims have financial issues they have to contain with, a factor which played a vital role in the departure of leading goal scorer Bradley Wright-Phillips and good young prospect Breda Johnson.

The game itself began at a somewhat subdued pace, with neither side able to find their passing rhythm, although Argyle did have the best of possession.

It took almost until the half hour mark for any meaningful chance to be created, and it fell to Dean Bowditch who turned his marker well from a throw-in before lashing a shot goal wards from the edge of the box, forcing David Button into a good save.

At the other end of the pitch Rory Fallon's looping header was tipped over the bar by 'keeper Henderson, who was about to show his ability in a flurry of Plymouth attempts.

Argyle sprung the offside trap allowing Rory Patterson to have a clear shot at goal, which Henderson got down to quickly to push away narrowly missing a lurking Yannick Bolasie. However, the ball did fall to Rory Fallon and the New Zealand international's shot was again saved by Henderson, who pounced on the ball at the second attempt.

After those who gave the Glovers goalkeeper a standing ovation returned to their seats nothing much else happened for the remainder of the first half, with both sides struggling to carve out any chances of real note.

Half Time: Yeovil Town 0-0 Plymouth Argyle

The Glovers made a tactical switch at half time altering the positioning of their attacking quartet. Oli Johnson went up top with Dean Bowditch supporting him, as Andy Williams moved to the left wing leaving Andy Welsh where he was on the right.

Despite that change it was the Pilgrims who had the first change of the half from the head of Rory Fallon, as the striker flicked an ever dangerous Kari Arnason long throw-in onto the top of the bar and thankfully out for a goal kick.

But it was Yeovil who would grab the lead just before the seventy minute mark, in a move which is largely credited to luck.

Andy Welsh's poor corner was cleared back out to him with his second in-swinging cross finding Paul Huntington whose shot deflected off of Andy Williams and past a sprawling Button to grab the lead. 1-0.

Argyle immediately responded altering to a standard 4-4-2 formation, with Rory Patterson joining Rory Fallon upfront.

Yeovil replaced a tiring Oli Johnson with debutant Andrew Tutte, before having to replace an injured Dean Bowditch with Sam Williams, who took to the field in an attacking midfield position.

The final ten minutes saw Plymouth throw everything they had at the Glovers, who had the heroic to Stephen Henderson to thank as he produced a contender for save of the season.

Stephane Zubar headed goal wards from close range and the ball seemed destined to hit the back of the net. That was before Henderson at full stretch pulled the ball off of the line in mid-air to tip the ball around the post for a corner, earning yet another standing ovation.

Four minutes of injury time followed and nothing of note took place apart from the sending off of Pilgrims player Yannick Bolasie, for an off the ball incident with Henderson and Nathan Smith.

The final whistle eventually blew ending a result which sees the Glovers move up to 17th position in nPower League One, as they now find themselves closer to the play-offs than 24th position, but whisper it quietly...

View a Printer Friendly version of this Story.

Bookmark or share this story with:


Yeovil Town Poll

How many points will guarantee safety?

See results > Submit >>