Latest News:

High Five!

goal hero

By Alex O'Loughlin
January 16 2011

Yeovil Town have extended their unbeaten run to five games, thanks to a 1-0 victory over ten man Swindon Town. 

Coming into the game the Glovers had won their previous two games, as well boasting an unbeaten run of four games in which they had not  conceded a single goal. 

It was this run of form which saw manager Terry Skiverton name an unchanged side for a third game running, with the only changes occurring on the bench with loan arrival Oli Johnson and fit again Alex Russell  returning to the bench. 

Swindon's season can be summed up as inconsistent, and it seemed as if the worst of Robins had turned up as Yeovil dominated much of the first half. 

The Glover's main opposition was the wind, with the blustery conditions meaning long passes and through balls often went astray. 

Despite the Green and Whites dominating much of the possession it was the ever dangerous Charlie Austin who had the first chance of the game, as he collected Matt Ritchie's cross to fire a shot from a tight angle which 'keeper Stephen Henderson saved well. 

At the other end Dean Bowditch nearly scored a bizarre goal as Swindon goalkeeper Phil Smith misjudged the wide man's shot, tipping what seemed a comfortable shot onto his own bar before thankfully gathering the rebound.

Paul Wotton was next to go close for Yeovil as his free-kick from all of thirty yards brought the best out of 'keeper Smith as he saved well from the midfielder's low, hard drive, parrying the drive for a corner.

The chances began to fall Yeovil's way as they got to grips with the wind, with the ever busy Andy Williams forcing Smith to save again after he drove into the box from the by-line looking to pull it back for a team mate.

Yeovil however failed to make their dominance count and Swindon began to come back into the game with ex-Yeovil player Michael Rose testing Stephen Henderson first from a free-kick and then from a low drive across goal, but the goalkeeper was more than able to thwart his efforts.

As the half time whistle approached Charlie Austin had a couple of efforts deflected wide, with defender Scott Cuthbert seeing his header from a corner cleared from only a few yards out by Paul Wotton.

A moment of controversy occurred moments before the break as Andy Welsh raced through on goal before surely being upended by Michael Rose, but referee Neil Swarbrick waved away the Glovers appeals much to the disbelief of coaches and fans alike of Yeovil. 

Both sides went in at the break at deadlock, in what had been an entertaining half of football, although neither side had been clinical enough to score the opening goal of the game. 

Half Time: Swindon Town 0-0 Yeovil Town

If Michael Rose should have been sent off for the incident involving Andy Welsh in the first half, he didn't have to wait long to receive his marching orders in the second, receiving a straight red card for a stamp on midfielder Ed Upson as they tangled by the half way line. This time Swarbrick got the decision spot on.

Ed Upson had clearly been riled by the stamping, and he took out his frustration on Jonathan Douglas with a late challenge, which earned him a yellow card, despite the Robins fans desperately wanting the numbers to be evened up. 

It is often the fact that teams find it harder to play against ten men, but Yeovil didn't seem to think so as they took the lead just eight minutes after Rose's dismissal. 

A hopeful lob into the box from Nathan Smith found its way to Sam Williams whose effort from ten yards was tipped onto the cross bar allowing a predatory Dean Bowditch to nod in from virtually the goal line, scoring his first goal for almost two months. 0-1.

Any fight back from Swindon never looked on the cards with Vincent Pericard going closest for them with his header flashing across the box.

Yeovil introduced Norwich loanee Oli Johnson for Andy Williams, and the striker didn't take too long to get involved as he almost supplied a second Glovers goal. 

After demonstrating his pace Johnson supplied a cross over towards Andy Welsh who looked destined to tap in only for Jean-Francois to deny him with a last ditch challenge. 

Alex Russell and Adam Virgo came on late to provide some experience to the Yeovil side, although the final few minutes didn't provide too much panic as the Glovers saw out the game and won their third game in a row stretching their unbeaten run to five games.

Yeovil are still in the relegation zone, but now it is only on goal difference as they are level on points with Tranmere Rovers. The Glovers continue to pull away from the teams below them, but now the emphasis must be on catching and over taking those teams in front of them. 


View a Printer Friendly version of this Story.

Bookmark or share this story with:


Yeovil Town Poll

How many points will guarantee safety?

See results > Submit >>