Latest News:

Tigers Take A Point

By Eye Of The Tiger
March 19 2009

The Tigers were held to a 1-1 draw by Newcastle United at the KC Stadium on Saturday afternoon. City had taken an early lead through Geovanni, but Steven Taylor levelled for the visitors before the break. Phil Brown kept faith with the same eleven that started against Fulham.

Andy Dawson returned from suspension to take a place on the bench where he was joined by the matchwinner at Craven Cottage Manucho.

Michael Owen returnd from injury to start for Newcastle and he was partnered up front by Obafemi Martins.

It was a blustery day in East Yorkshire, but both fans were in fine voice as the game kicked off.

The Tigers took the lead on nine minutes with the first chance of the game. Kamil Zayatte dispossessed Geremi deep inside the City half and fed Geovanni. He carried the ball over half-way before finding Craig Fagan on the left. Fagan worked himself a crossing opportunity and found Geovanni, who headed past Steve Harper and into the net.

It was the perfect start, but Newcastle looked to hit back with Martins firing just over after picking up Geremi's pass inside the box.

Fagan had a half-chance when Kevin Kilbane's long throw found its way through to him, but he could only hook the ball over the bar.

Fagan picked up a yellow card after being elbowed in the back of the head by Steven Taylor. Referee Howard Webb didn't award a free kick and booked the City man for his protests.

It was becoming a feisty encounter. Zayatte clashed with Alan Smith before Geremi's late tackle on Zayatte had the City bench outraged. Geremi was booked.

Geovanni took City on a counter attack in the 32nd minute and won his side a free kick 25 yards out when he was fouled by Fabricio Coloccini. The Brazilian took the free kick himself and curled it inches wide of the post.

Newcastle levelled on 38 minutes. Nicky Butt crossed from the right after picking up Geremi's throw and Taylor, who was up expecting a long throw, lifted the ball over Matt Duke and into the far corner of the net.

Coloccini was booked in added time for hauling down Daniel Cousin after the Gabon striker had got the better of him on the left touchline.

Half Time: Tigers 1-1 Newcastle

The second half started with Smith picking up a yellow card for chopping down Geovanni in the centre circle.

City made their first change ten minutes after the break as Manucho replaced Cousin before Zayatte was booked for a challenge on Owen.

The Angolan substitute almost made an immediate impact when he controlled Mendy's low cross before turning and shooting on target, only to see Harper save.

At the other end, Jonas Gutierrez blasted Martins' square ball over when he had time to do better.

Martins then had a chance himself after squeezing between Sam Ricketts, Michael Turner and Duke, but he could only poke the ball wide.

The next chance was City's as Fagan sent Mendy clear. He tried to square for the unmarked Manucho, but it was an awful ball and it ended up in the hands of Harper.

City's second change came with 20 minutes remaining as Richard Garcia replaced Fagan. Soon after, Shola Ameobi replaced Owen for Newcastle.

Newcastle weren't afraid to try their luck from distance, but both Gutierrez and Geremi were well off target with efforts.

City's final change saw Nick Barmby replace Mendy.

The home side thought they had a free kick midway inside the Newcastle half when Garcia went down under Geremi's challenge, but the referee booked the City man for diving.

Four minutes of time were added but neither side could win the game.

Tigers: Matt Duke, Sam Ricketts, Michael Turner, Anthony Gardner, Kevin Kilbane, Bernard Mendy (Barmby 80), Kamil Zayatte, Ian Ashbee, Geovanni, Craig Fagan (Garcia 70), Daniel Cousin (Manucho 55).

Subs: Boaz Myhill, Andy Dawson, Peter Halmosi, Richard Garcia, Bryan Hughes, Nick Barmby, Manucho.

Newcastle: Stephen Harper, Fabricio Coloccini, Jose Enrique, Obafemi Martins, Michael Owen (Ameobi 73), Sebastien Bassong, Alan Smith (R. Taylor 75), Jonas Gutierrez, Geremi, Nicky Butt, Steven Taylor.

Subs: Fraser Forster, Damien Duff, Ryan Taylor, Shola Ameobi, Peter Lovenkrands, David Edgar, Andy Carroll.

Referee: Mr H. Webb.

Attendance: 24,914.

Report taken from the Club official website,,10338~1590391,00.html


View a Printer Friendly version of this Story.

Bookmark or share this story with:


Hull City Poll

Should Phil Brown be sacked following Hulls poor start to the season

See results > Submit >>