By Celine Dion
December 30 2012
How well did you do in the 2012 Arsenal Times Quiz? If you got them all right you probably googled them. If you got half of them right you're probably a train spotter as well. If you only got 10% right you are a glory hunter or 7 years old.It was a really tough one this year so without further ado you can check your answers below.
1) Name 3 players who appeared for both Arsenal and West Ham between
1980 and 1990
There may be others but I’ve got Steve Walford Liam Brady and Stewart
2) What connects Arsenals victory over Liverpool in the 1950 FA Cup
final and our title clinching victory at Old Trafford in 2002?
3) In the twilight of their careers Paul Davis and Graham Rix both
appeared for which lower league London Club?
4) How many Arsenal players has Arsene Wenger sold to Barcelona in
7 Petit, Overmars, Van Bronckhorst, Hleb, Henry, Fabregas, Song
5) Arsenal have lost two domestic cup finals to Leeds by the same score
line. Which ones? Who were the scorers?
1968 League Cup, Terry Cooper Scored winner
1972 FA Cup Final, Alan Clarke scored winner
6) When Arsenal lost to Tottenham 3-1 in the FA cup semi final in 1991,
who won the other semi final later that afternoon, and by what score
Forest 4 West Ham 0
7) And when Arsenal beat Tottenham 1-0 two years later, what had been
the score in the other semi final the day before?
Sheff Wed 2 Sheff Utd 1
8) Name three strikers who have played for both Arsenal and Manchester
United since 1979
Stapleton, Andy Cole, RVP
9) Alan Sunderland’s winning goal in the 1979 FA Cup final is well
known but who had equalised for Manchester United seconds earlier?
10) Name three Arsenal players in the modern era who joined Arsenal
straight from Southampton.
Steve Williams, Theo Walcott, Oxlade Chaimberlain
11) Winger Jimmy Carter joined the club in 1991 but where from?
12) How many clubs did Dennis Bergkamp play for in total?
13) Who was he named after?
It was Denis Law, but Dutch law required an extra ‘n’ be added
14) The 1991-2 ‘prison arrow’ away strip attracted criticism for its
garish yellow and blue design but what colour was the JVC logo on the
15) How many times did Arsenal contest the Makita tournament?
16) In the 1988 Makita tournament, Arsenal beat Tottenham 4-0, but who
did they also play in the same weekend? What was the score?
The next day we beat Bayern Munich 3-0
17) Who scored two goals against Arsenal in a cup final and was then
released at the end of that season by his club?
Brian Stein 1988 Littlewoods Cup final
18) Who beat Arsenal by the heaviest margin in the 1971 Double season?
Stoke beat us 5-0
19) Who did Herbert Chapman play for between 1905 and 1907?
It was indeed Tottenham Hotspur
20) How many starters in our 1998 cup final side had joined the club
from French clubs, and which ones?
Petit and Wreh from Monaco and Anelka from PSG. Vieria joined from AC
Milan and Grimandi was only on the bench.
21) Arsenal reached the FA cup quarter final in both 1987 and 1988 but
which clubs knocked them out at this stage, both home ties.
Watford and then Forest
22) How did the first of these matches finish controversially?
Linesman flagged for an Arsenal penalty at 2-1 but ref overruled it and
in the confusion Barnes went up the other end and set up final Watford
23) What was significant about Emmanuel Adebayor’s penalty in last
seasons North London derby at the Emirates, from his point of view?
It made him the highest individual scorer in North London Derbys
24) What was unique for Alan Smith about his appearance in the 1993 FA
Cup final replay?
He got booked, his only ever booking
25) Apart from playing for Arsenal, what links Gilberto Silva and
Quincy Owusu Obeye?
They have since turned out for Panthanaikos
26) Which team do Arsenal play in the 1939 film ‘ The Arsenal Stadium
A made up team called ‘Trojans’
27) Against which club did Kevin Campbell score his first league goal?
Forest, in a 3-0 win
28) What scoring distinction do Kevin and Paul Vaessen both share?
Indeed it was clinching goals in a cup winners cup semi
29) Gael Clichy shares his name with an area of which city?
30) Whose goal clinched our 1991 title win?
Trick Question, it was Ian Woan.
31) When Arsenal played France in a prestigious friendly in the 1988-89
season, what was peculiar about the choice of kit?
We wore the away kit at home, for some reason.
32) What is Bacary Sagna’s wife called?
33) What colour were the goal stanchions at Highbury pre 1991
Everybody should know this, they were GREEN
34) What colour did they then change to before they were got rid of
They were RED
35) When did they get rid of coloured stanchions altogether?
My records show that we went to ordinary ‘no stanchion’ goals for the
36) Arsenal and Everton were the first two clubs to appear in three
consecutive FA cup finals, but what do they also share in terms of
their three final appearances?
They only won one of the three matches
37) What was John Jensen’s rather inappropriate nick name? Why was it
‘Faxe’, after the Danish Beer. Inappropriate because apparently he
didn’t like beer.
38) The ‘I’ in the seminal comedy film ‘Withnail and I’ shares his name
with which old Arsenal favourite?
39) Against whom did David Platt score his league debut goal for
40) Armand Traore was once removed from White Hart Lane as a spectator
for bringing WHAT with him?
A set of knuckledusters
41) After giving up football, Kevin Campbell once signed which jailbird
R&B star to his new record label?
It was Mark Morrison
42) Which club, (clue, sounds a bit like ‘Toulouse’) did Arsene Wenger
play for between 1973 and 1975?