Manchester City 4 Burnley 1
By Burnley FC
January 6 2018

Ashley Barnes added to his list of high-profile strikes but four second-half goals killed the Clarets’ hopes of an FA Cup shock as all-conquering Manchester City extended their incredible unbeaten run.

 The Premier League leaders are now undefeated in domestic football this season, with their only loss in 38 games a dead Champions League rubber against Shakhtar Donetsk.

  City were made to work for their latest success after Barnes had fired the Clarets in front in the 25th-minute to add to the equaliser he bagged here three seasons ago and the goals he has scored at Old Trafford, Anfield and White Hart Lane.

  But Burnley haven’t won in 16 attempts at City – stretching back to 1963 – and that record was extended as Pep Guardiola’s expensively-assembled side went up a gear after the break to cruise into the fourth round.

 Sergio Aguero led the fightback with a quick-fire double before Leroy Sane and substitute Bernardo Silva added to the tally to match the three-goal winning margin City also enjoyed in the league meeting between the sides in October.

 Both sides made four changes from their last Premier League line-ups, with the Clarets bringing in Matthew Lowton, Kevin Long, Ashley Westwood and Sam Vokes.

 City, despite the absence of Kevin De Bruyne, had no shortage of big hitters in their side, despite Guardiola’s protestations at their Christmas holiday workload.

 And inevitably the league leaders started on the front foot with Sane and Aguero threatening to pick holes in the Clarets’ back line.

  But Burnley stood firm and as they began to press and force errors at the other end, the tide began to turn,

 Barnes - invariably coming in dangerously from a left-sided role - was only inches away from opening the scoring after 18 minutes when he failed to get a touch on a towering header back across goal from ex-City youngster Ben Mee following a Johann Berg Gudmundsson corner.

 But the in-form striker made no mistake with a thunderous finish to put the Clarets 1-0 up just seven minutes later with his fourth goal of the season.

To read the full match report please click on the link below;

Match Report