football
Latest News:

Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Next up: Wrexham (A)
Posted by: Phil65
Date: 30/01/2018 20:17
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
Phil65
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
Yiggsy
The whole of the crowd and all of the players had no idea why the pen was given.
Having looked at the video several times, which the referee doesn't have the luxury of, it appears that Sutton's right arm was over Pearson's left shoulder when they challenged for the ball. The referee must question how this came about and it is evident that it is two players legitimately jostling for space and position. It appears that Sutton did not pull, push, deliberately hinder or grab Pearson.. it's just how they both arrived for the aerial challenge. Sutton won the joust and headed clear. It could be argued that Pearson put himself in that position and then fell over.

Nobody in the ground thought that it was malpractice apart from the referee.

I am loathe to criticize refs because it is an impossible job and I have done it at Junior level with great reports until I jacked it in because I couldn't be arsed with the unjustified flack.

However, I think 99% of referees would'nt have given that penalty.

The ref at Anfield watched VAR and still gave a ridiculous penalty so we can’t complain to much. We are non league the refs are essentially tier 5 refs, they are relatively in experienced and not professional, we didn’t win because we didn’t take chances not because the ref gave a penalty. In fairness to the ref Sutton has his arm round their lads shoulders, that could go either way any week, if we give the ref a decision to make at times it will go against us. Cook fouled their goalie in the run up to the corner so it’s all equal anyway.

You fail to add that there was a blatant push on Cook in the penalty area early in the game; all I'd like to see is consistency. At what level in life does accountability stop.

As Bill Shankly used to say, It was a penalty because the ref gave it, they all equal out over the season.

It also doesn’t help when the manager makes ridiculous statements such as “Cook went for a diving header and fell off the pitch resulting in a booking”. Well that’s the funniset falling off a pitch I’ve ever seen. If he refers to slowly walked towards and climbed over the hoardings in celebration. What is that refs attitude going to be towards us next time he officiates us after hearing comments like that when it’s clear as day a yellow card.

You inadvertently hit on a good point about impartiality, or lack of. Criticism indeed. I doubt whether many at this level have the capacity or cognitive ability to retain such information. Dealing with (or attempting to) the here and now is as good as it gets.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net