football
Latest News:

Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

saddest films
Posted by: celine dion
Date: 10/02/2012 19:21
I was watching 'Battle for Los Angeles' this afternoon and it made me feel a bit teary when Mr Rincon dies. Now, admittedly, Battle for Los Angeles is not a VERY sad film, I think it was more becasue Ive got a bit of 'flu. But it made me think, I know we are all strapping chaps who drink beer and go to football and so on, but what are our saddest film moments. The ones where, OK, we wouldnt exactly CRY, because that would be embarrassing, but we might feel a bit, er, sad, and have to have an extra stella to snap out of it.

Heres mine, in no particular order.

Dead Man Walking. When Sean Penn goes to the electric chair. Thats BL**DY sad. I watched it in France and the whole cinema was in FLOODS of tears. Some women ran out crying.

Leaving Las Vegas. At the end, when hes having them alcoholic spasms. thats very upsetting.

The Empire Strikes Back. It was a toss up between this and when Yoda dies in Return of the Jedi. But Empire wins, for the bit where Han Solo gets frozen and just before that, princess leah tells him she loves him. The acting in that scene is IMMENSE my friends.

Terms of Endearment. Three hour epic 1980 family tearjerkers arent everybodys cup of tea but if you've got a spare afternoon - watch this film. I wont spoil it for people, but anyone who has seen it will know what the sad bit is. Warning - its VERY sad.

ET - both when he dies, then comes alive again, then gives Elliot a hug, then flies away in his spaceship, now thats VERY SAD. I am sure we all remember crying when we watched it when we were about 7, well, we watched it on Christmas day this year and everybody was crying too much to have their christmas dinner. Plus we thought we might have killed the rabbit but thats another story.

Midnight Cowboy - an incongruous but touching scene where old Dustin Hoffman shuffles off his mortal coil at the back of that bus and John Voight doesnt really know what to do about it.

Greystoke - dont know why people dont make more of this film. Its about Tarzan you see, a magnificent sprawling merchant ivory classic, where Tarzan comes to like in England, meets a girl (andie macdowell I think) who loves him, but unfortunately Tarzan cant fit into society so he goes back to the jungle to live with his friends the monkeys. Its both sad, but happy at the same time.

Dear John. OK not a classic film, but its all rather sad, how they dont stay in love.

Remember me - I wont spoil the ending because its a twist, but its pretty sad.

Philadelphia - this is easily the SADDEST film I have ever seen. And i mean it seriously. The final sequence, which Neil Young wrote the soundtrack for, well, I dont mind admitting, that in actual fact, if Ive had enough to drink, it CAN actually make me nearly cry. I dont mind admitting this, because I am secure in my masculinity, and certain of the bewitching power of the silver screen.

Ok what are your saddest films. I admit I have left out the well known holocaust films, these go without saying, but i prefer not to dwell on them.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net