football
Latest News:

| REGISTER FREE USERNAME | HOME PAGE | REFRESH | ADMIN@TYNE-TALK.CO.UK | TOON NEWS ARCHIVE

- Why not REGISTER YOUR FREE USERNAME and join us in discussion on this message board? Chat with 100s of Newcastle United fans about the latest news/rumours/gossip and matches. Everybody is welcome, and it takes literally just 30 seconds to register!

waffles
Chelsea and CL qualification
waffles (IP Logged)
10 April, 2012 15:26
In the unlikely scenario that Chelsea manage to knock out Barcelona and win the Champion's League, they will qualify for the Champion's League regardless of their league position. As a result, the 4th place team in the table will actually NOT qualify for the Champion's League. Thus, we could technically finish 4th place and still only make the Europa League

This leads to an interesting predicament for Di Matteo. Should Chelsea win the home fixture versus Barcelona with a comfortable score margin (say 2-0), should he go all out in the Champion's League and rest crucial players like Drogba, Mata, and Essien during the coming league matches?

Keep in mind that Chelsea still have matches against an in-form Arsenal, desperate sides QPR, Liverpool and Blackburn, and of course ourselves.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Chelsea and CL qualification
tunyc (IP Logged)
10 April, 2012 21:46
There are so many variables. I can't worry about them all. I have two thoughts on this, specifically:

1. I don't think Chelsea have a snowball's chance in hell of beating Barca. I would bet literally anything that they won't beat both Barca and Real (who will likely wipe the floor with Bayern, a team I like). I will only consider what happens if CFC wins the CL after they get past the best club side I've ever seen.

2. Di Matteo will be under specific instructions to win the CL. I can see him resting players in league matches. He's in a real pickle though, as if we beat them we will have a very good chance of finishing ahead of them. Imagine if they had gotten the 0 points they merited against Wigan...

Neil2010
Neil2010 (IP Logged)
10 April, 2012 22:27
More worryingly, if Everton beat Liverpool in the FA Cup semi-final this weekend, they will then play either Chelsea or Spurs in the final. Chelsea and Spurs will most likely have already qualified for either the CL or the Europa via the league, so Everton will take the Europa place that is allocated to the cup winners, even if they lose the final. That means we could finish 6th (and if I'm honest, 6th is most likely where we will finish) and not even qualify for Europe at all.

So we need to hope for a Liverpool victory against Everton at the weekend, and I just don't think I can bring myself to do that!!!

Note To Self
Note To Self (IP Logged)
10 April, 2012 23:30
Bear in mind Ivanovic has now got a 3 game suspension in addition to the Champions League game(s), the FA Cup game(s) and a tiring squad (someone mentioned they've played 11 games in 33 days?).

Will their priorities lie with the league, or with a trophy?

MESSAGES->author
tunyc (IP Logged)
11 April, 2012 20:52
Thing is Neil, EFC doesn't get the FAC Europa League spot as runners up unless the winners qualify for the CL, specifically. I don't think CFC will make the CL.

As long as EFC don't win the FAC, I think we'll make the Europa league.

Can't lie: I'm rooting for LFC this weekend.

I also think CFC will continue to flag. They looked ragged against Wigan and didn't deserve anything out of that game. We have a realistic chance of finishing 5th or, with a healthy dose of luck, 4th.

Note To Self
Note To Self (IP Logged)
11 April, 2012 21:50
In other news - Chelsea are appealing Ivanovic's suspension.

The suspension which the FA gave after the game for a punch that was caught on TV footage, and presumably went through the usual checks (referee asked if he'd seen it, etc.).

...How optimistic do you think they're feeling?

TOONTILLIDIE
TOONTILLIDIE (IP Logged)
13 April, 2012 08:51
All goes on what happens in the first leg of the CL, if the score is a draw or they are stil in it, then they will rest players. But the likleyhood of them winning it slim, Barca defence is poor but then the attacking options are so good. Bayern have too much quality for Chelsea and the special one Real will destroy Chelsea

I am one that is hoping to see Liverpool win this weekend, to take the pressure of us, as it will guarantee Europa football, and you never know we can push up the league, but I do think the next two games are important as if we can amazingly take 6 points then I reckon we would be 4th by then. Either way I can see us getting Europa as the winner of the Chelsea or Spurs semi final match will win the FA Cup

http://magpieszone.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/micky-quinn.thumbnail.jpg

MESSAGES->author
annie (IP Logged)
24 April, 2012 21:10
Chelsea are beating Barcelona at the moment 2-2 by virtue of an away goal. 65 mins
John Terry sent off for sheer stupidity.
Chelsea's other CD off injured.
Messi failed to convert a penalty.
It's all happenening here folks.

MESSAGES->author
CNDShearerFan16 (IP Logged)
24 April, 2012 21:22
Dammit Barca pick up the pace already!

MESSAGES->author
annie (IP Logged)
24 April, 2012 21:25
Hey CND(Sm128) I thought I was all alone.

Surely Barcelona will score.

MESSAGES->author
24 April, 2012 21:26
Messi woodwork again!!!! (Sm19)

MESSAGES->author
24 April, 2012 21:34
Well Annie on a bright note Chelsea is gonna have no one available after cards and injuries if they hold on!

MESSAGES->author
annie (IP Logged)
24 April, 2012 21:40
I'm torn between not wanting Chelsea to win and being delighted at having a British team in the final.

At least John Terry will get his come-uppance, he won't be in the final.

MESSAGES->author
24 April, 2012 21:45
Quote:
annie
I'm torn between not wanting Chelsea to win and being delighted at having a British team in the final.
At least John Terry will get his come-uppance, he won't be in the final.

Ya it is very hard for me to root against any English team, even Chelsea, but I am torn because them winning could hurt us. (Sm54)

Ian Toward
Biffins Bridge (IP Logged)
24 April, 2012 23:07
Lets just hope with all the players missing and playing one of the two most in form teams in Europe is too much for them.

It might work the other way for us to be honest as they might put everything into the two finals rather than the league. Fingers crossed.

tom09
tom09 (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 04:55
After everything this season it is not impossible to dream of 3rd place now ! If nothing else just to stick 2 fingers up to all the pundits who keep putting us down and the fa for the way there corrupt FairPlay league works

MESSAGES->author
annie (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 22:31
Quote:
annie

After watching Bayern Munich beat Real Madrid I'm no longer torn.

British team against the Germans, Chelsea have to win.

C'mon Chelsea (Sm128)

AndrewThe Mag
Andrew The Mag (IP Logged)
25 April, 2012 22:50
Nah sorry Annie can't agree with you there, I hope the independant nation of Geordie Land get a spot in the champions league, so I must go with Bayern over Chelsea. All other nations are irrelavent grinning smiley

MESSAGES->author
25 April, 2012 23:22
Germans in penalties, even at club level, automatic! I was also glad to see Ronaldo get saved!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/04/2012 23:22 by CNDShearerFan16.

MESSAGES->author
i! (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 00:34
Why would anyone in their right mind want Chelsea to win?!

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/2185/legendsst3.jpg
Get regular updates from one of TyneTalk's mintest posters, follow: [www.twitter.com] @adameverett92

MESSAGES->author
annie (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 07:59
Me too CND.

davenufc
davenufc (IP Logged)
26 April, 2012 13:04
I am willing to buy a munich top and learn a least one brief Bayern chant in german, if we do finish fourth.

Stuff Chelsea the only side I care about is the toon.

Eich Bein ein geordie.

MESSAGES->author
tunyc (IP Logged)
30 April, 2012 18:15
Well, I was wrong on that one. Not the first time-just ask the wife.

I'm pulling hard for Bayern. Besides, aren't Chelsea a Russian club?

It was nice that the 6th-place English team stuffed Barca. Shut up a lot of bandwagon jumpers who, if pressed, couldn't name 5 Barca players not currently with the club.

AndrewThe Mag
Andrew The Mag (IP Logged)
30 April, 2012 20:32
Quote:
davenufc
I am willing to buy a munich top and learn a least one brief Bayern chant in german, if we do finish fourth.
Stuff Chelsea the only side I care about is the toon.

Eich Bein ein geordie.

Chelsea sind Müll und Terry ist ein Wichser
Komm Bayern schlagen diese nutzlos gits

Toon Toon Schwarz-Weiß-Armee den ganzen Weg marschieren in Europa

Heres one Dave grinning smiley

MESSAGES->author
tunyc (IP Logged)
01 May, 2012 16:35
Quote:
AndrewTheMag
diese nutzlos gits
(Sm22)

MESSAGES->author
05 May, 2012 18:37
So with Chelsea securing Europe with their FA Cup win, they're gonna phone in the Champ's League Final I bet (Sm100)(Sm154)(Sm159)
Just as I wrote this Liverpool went and made it a game! Curse you Andrew Carroll! (Sm6)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2012 19:10 by CNDShearerFan16.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net