football
Latest News:

| REGISTER FREE USERNAME | HOME PAGE | REFRESH | ADMIN@TYNE-TALK.CO.UK | TOON NEWS ARCHIVE

- Why not REGISTER YOUR FREE USERNAME and join us in discussion on this message board? Chat with 100s of Newcastle United fans about the latest news/rumours/gossip and matches. Everybody is welcome, and it takes literally just 30 seconds to register!

TyneTalk
Match Preview/Stats/Thread: Newcastle Utd v Wolves
TyneTalk (IP Logged)
24 February, 2012 14:07
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Match Preview/Stats/Thread: Newcastle Utd v Wolves
annie (IP Logged)
24 February, 2012 16:05
3-1 (Sm128)

MESSAGES->author
tunyc (IP Logged)
24 February, 2012 17:15
Depends on the formation.

If AP goes 4-3-3 or even 4-5-1 or 4-1-2-1-2 we should coast, winning 2 or 3-0.

If he tries his favored 4-4-2 we'll do well to manage a no/low-score draw. Wolves can play a negative game as well as anybody, especially on the road. When they played spuds they set up to narrow the field and render 4-4-2 ineffective. They got a draw out of it. I can't see us succeeding where spurs failed.

mentalman
mentalman (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 07:23
i thimk it'll be 4-3-3 it'll be hard to drop guthrie after his recent performances and it'd be great seeing guthrie and cabaye unleash their creativity knowing Tiote is sitting behind them providing cover!

Question is does AP go with HBA or Jonas in the front 3, personally i'd go with Jonas!

On another note i think this game will decide Guthrie's future at the club, if he's dropped then he'll not sign a new contract!

Ian Toward
Biffins Bridge (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 08:32
I wouldnt be surprised if their new manager tried to pack the midfield a bit on his first game so the 4-3-3 could well do the trick. I think Guthrie could start on the right though. Taylor has just come back from injury and Obertan is easily dropped after the last game.

MESSAGES->author
25 February, 2012 13:59
3-1 for the toon.
Just hope we turn up today.

MESSAGES->author
Carys (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 14:33
TEAM LINE UPS

Raylor and Cabaye start - Guthrie on the bench with Hatem Ben Arfa

MESSAGES->author
DaraghL (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 15:00

MESSAGES->author
Carys (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 15:06
Whoop Whoop CISSE 1-0

MESSAGES->author
annie (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 15:14
Great!1-0

and thanks for the link Daragh

MESSAGES->author
annie (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 15:18
Go Jonas 2-0 (Sm60)

MESSAGES->author
Carys (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 15:20
2-0 smiling smiley

MESSAGES->author
Carys (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 15:56
Time to start banging them in and get our goal difference back

MESSAGES->author
annie (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 15:58
Sunderland are getting beat 2-0 by West Brom grinning smiley

MESSAGES->author
Carys (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 16:06
Ba down injured :/

MESSAGES->author
Carys (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 16:07
followed by a winded tiote

MESSAGES->author
Carys (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 16:09
2-1 Matt Jarvis

Gaucho
Gaucho (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 16:09
2-1...looks like it took a deflection

MESSAGES->author
annie (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 16:10
Phew! I was a bit worried when I saw Ba lying there. Good to see him still playing.

MESSAGES->author
Carys (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 16:24
Papiss Cisse off - Ben Arfa On

R,Taylor off - Danny Guthrie on

MESSAGES->author
Carys (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 16:25
FFS 2-2 Doyle

MESSAGES->author
annie (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 16:28
2-2 Not surprised, they've had at least 60% possesion of the ball.

MESSAGES->author
25 February, 2012 16:56
P*ss poor performance.

Gaucho
Gaucho (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 16:56
Frustrating game. We thought we had it in the bag, coasted in the beginning, and got punished for it. Repulsive.

MESSAGES->author
Carys (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 16:57
1st half we weren't great but we did enough.

2nd half they all went home. Cr4p performance 2nd half.

MESSAGES->author
annie (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 16:59
Yet another game we didn't win, not because of the quality of the opposition but because of our shocking inability to pass the ball.

MESSAGES->author
tunyc (IP Logged)
25 February, 2012 17:00
Pattern: we have no response, tactically, when we run into trouble. After realizing the 4-4-2 wasn't working (took losing a goal for that), we revert back to 4-4-2 only with Shola and Guthrie instead of Cisse and Tiote. How was that going to work? We were lucky not to lose and again relied on a piece of individual skill (Jonas) to get a point against a team with no permanent manager, little quality, less confidence and on horrible form.

Also, the really poor performances are piling up and we seem to have motivational issues. The effort level hasn't been good enough outside of Ba, Cisse, Colo and Krul.

Ian Toward
Biffins Bridge (IP Logged)
26 February, 2012 11:49
4-4-2 worked fine in the first half mate and they played the whole game with five in the middle.

The players threw it away thinking they had it in the bag after the first half. We had the first half, they wanted the second half more. Their first was a deflection after Taylor/Simpson should have done better. The second was poor defensively after they lobbed a free kick in.

We should play until the final whistle. People were moaning at the match about Tiote getting taken off, but he was grabbing and stretching the back of his leg just before. Cisse looked knacked after having a great first half.

Guthrie was poor when he came on but was never afraid of the ball. HBA was sh173 running into trouble and trying to take on the team. He is a talent, but if that was Obertan he would be getting slated. Instead the fans have blinded support for HBA even though he has done very little for us.

MESSAGES->author
annie (IP Logged)
26 February, 2012 12:37
Quote:
Biffins Bridge
HBA was sh173 running into trouble and trying to take on the team. He is a talent, but if that was Obertan he would be getting slated. Instead the fans have blinded support for HBA even though he has done very little for us.

I totally agree about HBA, you'll see my complaints about him in other threads.
One example - Yesterday he had the ball on the right hand side, he could have knocked the ball further right and crossed into the box for others or he could try and run through 3 Wolves players standing in front of him. No prizes for guessing what he did.

He is the most overrated player in the team, in my opinion.

mentalman
mentalman (IP Logged)
26 February, 2012 15:13
he's only over rated by some people the rest of us know what he offers or doesn't offer more to the fact!

he'd be one of the best in the world if only he could learn when to pass instead of running through players this is why he's a bit part player for us and not playing for a bigger club!

we've gone from being a team who was renowned for fighting until the final whistle to a team that is winning at half time and think the match has finished! I personally dont think pardew, Carver or stone are the sort of people who will sit at half time and tell the players the game is won so sit back and enjoy the second half so it would be good to know what has happened!

TOONTILLIDIE
TOONTILLIDIE (IP Logged)
26 February, 2012 19:51
Going into the game, I wasn't to sure what Wolves would be like with changing the manager, but with being 2-0 up it is disappointing to only get a draw especially when it is at home and that we had Tiote and Cabaye back. Suppose the team needs to learn quickly that teams are going to be fighting for every point at this stage of the season, and normally form and where you are in the table goes out of the way.

The point tally we have is unbelievable at this stage of the season so going to look at the positives, as I never expected us to get top 4 as Chelsea have too much quality. Suppose with Liverpool winning the cup today, I think it takes the europa spot to 7th, providing Liverpool finish in the 5th or 6th, and we will defo get the top 7th. So if we do get europa football it is amazing achievement. Obviously the squad would need strengthening.

Regarding HBA I would keep him as long as he would be happy just to be a squad player, as he has the talent to win you games but not the work rate over 90 minutes.

http://magpieszone.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/micky-quinn.thumbnail.jpg

MESSAGES->author
tunyc (IP Logged)
27 February, 2012 17:54
4-4-2 was not working. Don't judge a performance by the scoreline. We were outplayed much of the first half despite leading. Possession stats and our inability to string together three passes told the story. A casual observer can be forgiven for missing that. AP should know better.

Re HBA: he's yet to find a place to in the team but he's shown his upside. It's frustrating to me that AP says he's not a winger (correct) but plays him there exclusively. Also, for those who have preached patience with Obertan: HBA has half as many PL appearances. I don't think he's the sort of player you try to get to possess the ball less. He needs to be played in a position where his ability to keep it is more of an asset-that is, right behind the forward(s).

There is a certain measure of blind support for HBA-that's due to the apparent fact that he's the most skilled footballer to come through the club since Beardo. That doesn't mean necessary mean he'll fit in and come good here, but it does mean he gets a bit of slack.

TTID's right-there are lots of positives to reflect on right now and the luxury of figuring out where to fit in a player of HBA's quality while sitting sixth is one of them.

mentalman
mentalman (IP Logged)
27 February, 2012 20:33
we haven't played HBA as a winger when he's started its been as one of a front 3

TOONTILLIDIE
TOONTILLIDIE (IP Logged)
27 February, 2012 21:01
He might be able to pull it off, but then you would be a bit worried about the cover he would offer the full back, going forward he would offer more than Obertan but what about the defensive part, work rate wise he is not exactly Jonas. I think his best position is off the forward, but then he would be a bit of luxury in a 4 man midfield, where ideally he would play in a 5 man midfield, but then would you drop Cisse or BA

I hope we keep him, but I can see him get fed up and want to leave

MESSAGES->author
tunyc (IP Logged)
28 February, 2012 20:09
HBA has played wide on the right several times-whether 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 (yes he has been played there). It's not his ideal position. He's good at getting at players but then he wants to get inside, toward the goal, not cross.

He certainly needs to learn that most of the times he touches the ball, he'll want to pass it. That's a matter of development though-he's 24 years old and has lost over a year of his career to injury. I do wonder if there's anyone in our coaching staff who can help him along.

AndrewThe Mag
Andrew The Mag (IP Logged)
29 February, 2012 07:07
regarding bringing him on surely steve stone could give him some solid advice as he played RW most of his career in the prem. Yes the game has changed but he could probbly help adapt him to that role.

mentalman
mentalman (IP Logged)
29 February, 2012 09:27
Trouble is with the way HBA plays he needs to come in at an angle from the wings, playing him through the centre will be playing right into the opposiutions hands and nulify any effect he may have

TOONTILLIDIE
TOONTILLIDIE (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 17:36
Problem we may have is that I can't see HBA wanting to sit on the bench, and may look for a move, as the lad will want to play week in week out. I am sure plenty of teams would come after him as he has the talent

I think he has a lot to offer us, and I think next season he will get more game time

MESSAGES->author
tunyc (IP Logged)
01 March, 2012 18:34
I completely agree, TTID-as I keep pointing out, he has half the PL appearances of a certain Mr. Obertan.

Unfortunately, I also think it's likely that he'll leave this summer. And mainly because AP couldn't fit him into his anglo tactical straight jacket.

mentalman
mentalman (IP Logged)
02 March, 2012 11:14
Obertan are both very similar players, they both are quick and skilfull and both like to run into players and run the ball out of play!

The difference is that Obertan defends and passes the ball, he plays as part of the team whereas HBA wants all the glory with little effort!

I honestly cant see HBA breaking into the team, who are we going to drop to let him in, you cant drop Ba and cisse has shown more in his few games than HBA has!

We could go to playing 4-3-3 but your a man down for the duration of HBA's time on the pitch!

HBA has a lot to learn before he can become a valuable member of our first team!

TOONTILLIDIE
TOONTILLIDIE (IP Logged)
03 March, 2012 20:16
Obertan offers the team something different than HBA, Obertan offers some breathing space for the back four as at times he is the one player up front when teams are attacking us, so a long ball up and he will close down, and may win throw ins/corners/free kicks. But his final ball to a our player or the goal isn't good enough

HBA has the magic to turn a game, with his skills and I always feel confident of him getting a goal.

Personally I would love both on the bench and us to get a better right winger, even though Raylor has done OK there.

For the money spent on them when you think of how much the premiership spends then both players have done OK for how much they cost

waffles
waffles (IP Logged)
04 March, 2012 03:48
Keep in mind that Marveaux has been out injured, and is a more conventional winger. He's a left footed player with a good delivery. His ball skills are just slightly below Jonas's and he gives us a left footed set piece taker.

If all our wingers are healthy we have 5 potential options there. The problem has been Ben Arfa and Marveaux's injuries combined with a lack of a left footed player who likes to play on the left side.

MESSAGES->author
tunyc (IP Logged)
04 March, 2012 05:08
Obertan's defending is typified by his watching Assou-Ekotto run by him from 20 yards off of the play to score spuds' first.

He is not a better defender than HBA, they're both all offense. Obertan's attacking is inferior, as for all his speed and dribbling, his final ball tends to lack quality whether shot or cross.

HBA needs to work on parts of his game-tracking back more and finding passes when he's shut down. But if he can't break into this squad, it's due to AP's inability to understand anything other than 4-4-2, in which a player like HBA doesn't fit. Whereas Obertan-an inferior player-gets into the team regularly because he's comfortable in the wide midfield spot in 4-4-2. This is starting to look like the narrative of Pardew's not using Tevez at WHU.

MESSAGES->author
CNDShearerFan16 (IP Logged)
04 March, 2012 17:16
As taken from the official Twitter account. (I hope this really happened/was said)

Steward turns to Shola in the tunnel and says "You could play on crutches against this lot and still score."

(I just realized that this is in the entirely wrong thread I thought it was in the Sunderland thread! (Sm54) what a buffoon I is!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2012 20:15 by CNDShearerFan16.

TOONTILLIDIE
TOONTILLIDIE (IP Logged)
04 March, 2012 20:43
Quote:
CNDShearerFan16
As taken from the official Twitter account. (I hope this really happened/was said)
Steward turns to Shola in the tunnel and says "You could play on crutches against this lot and still score."

(Sm22)

mentalman
mentalman (IP Logged)
05 March, 2012 15:32
Obertan IS a better defender than HBA, he's not a great defender but atleast he tries unlike HBA!

MESSAGES->author
tunyc (IP Logged)
05 March, 2012 19:18
We'll agree to disagree. Obertan is a@#$%&defender too. Rebut what I said about Assou-Ekotto's goal with an incident where Obertan's tracking back made a difference. (Say, you're not one of the Simpson haters, are you?)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net