football
Latest News:

| REGISTER FREE USERNAME | HOME PAGE | REFRESH | ADMIN@TYNE-TALK.CO.UK | TOON NEWS ARCHIVE

- Why not REGISTER YOUR FREE USERNAME and join us in discussion on this message board? Chat with 100s of Newcastle United fans about the latest news/rumours/gossip and matches. Everybody is welcome, and it takes literally just 30 seconds to register!

davenufc
Ivory Coast
davenufc (IP Logged)
12 February, 2012 11:00
Hope Tiote can pick up some silverware tonight.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Ivory Coast
tunyc (IP Logged)
12 February, 2012 17:05
Seconded. Maybe some of that could rub off on us...

MESSAGES->author
i! (IP Logged)
12 February, 2012 17:22
Hope he gets his @#$%& on that plane straight after kick off.

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/2185/legendsst3.jpg
Get regular updates from one of TyneTalk's mintest posters, follow: [www.twitter.com] @adameverett92

davenufc
davenufc (IP Logged)
12 February, 2012 21:26
Any one else watching?

Quite honestly I have had more fun watching paint dry.

Note To Self
Note To Self (IP Logged)
12 February, 2012 22:20
Keeping an eye on the result; had a cheeky bet on a Group A team to win, so I'm torn over who I want to win...

TOONTILLIDIE
TOONTILLIDIE (IP Logged)
13 February, 2012 10:08
Watched the game and the best team on the night won, Zambia looked like they could score unlike the Ivory Coast. Gutted for Tiote and hopefully he will come back with his head screwed on. Drogba penalty miss during normal time was awful

http://magpieszone.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/micky-quinn.thumbnail.jpg

MESSAGES->author
tunyc (IP Logged)
13 February, 2012 13:19
Sounds like it was a pretty bad tournament. Almost none of the stories on the game state that it ended 0-0 in regular time.

Ivory Coast finish runners-up not having conceded a goal.

I'm reminded of why I'm not that into international football.

MESSAGES->author
annie (IP Logged)
13 February, 2012 13:32
I thought it was brave of Drogba to step up and take a penalty in the shoot out as he'd missed the last 2 he'd taken.
The penalty spot was in a dreadful state, like a miniature ploughed field.
I'd have liked the Ivory Coast to win for Tiote's sake but Zambia showed such a lot of heart, they deserved the win.

MESSAGES->author
tunyc (IP Logged)
13 February, 2012 15:59
Bad pitches were levelers. There must be some explanation. Given the talent on some teams (Ghana, Senegal, Ivory Coast mainly), I'm surprised how wide open the competition was. You get surprises in these tournaments but this feels lik Belgium winning the Euro. Then again, Greece did it in '04...

TOONTILLIDIE
TOONTILLIDIE (IP Logged)
13 February, 2012 17:42
Drogba did step up but it was the 5th penalty, I thought he would have went 1st or atleast 2nd as players would be looking at the skipper and penalty taker to lead by example.

Didn't see much of the tournament but the final kind of reminded you of a old style cup final where the underdogs wins.

Greece was a total shock winning the Euro's but so was Denmark when they did it, lots get made out of having world class players but I think when it comes to the Euro's a good team spirit can take you far and choosing the right tactics. Suppose it is easier when it came to Greece as it is like a newly promoted team in the premiership, that other teams don't take serious

waffles
waffles (IP Logged)
14 February, 2012 00:42
Quote:
TOONTILLIDIE
Greece was a total shock winning the Euro's but so was Denmark when they did it, lots get made out of having world class players but I think when it comes to the Euro's a good team spirit can take you far and choosing the right tactics. Suppose it is easier when it came to Greece as it is like a newly promoted team in the premiership, that other teams don't take serious

Both the Greeks and the Danes won Euro by playing the bread-and-butter of Tournament football: Defend like crazy and counter attack. Once you're out of the group stages, there is no incentive to push forward. If your best asset is your defense (Schmeichel for the Danes, Zagorakis for the Greeks), then use it. Since the game can't end in a draw, the worst case scenario is you take it to penalties.

The US beat Spain in the Confederations Cup by sitting back and waiting for Spain's full backs to come up. Once that happened, Donovan and Dempsey released. The Germans slaughtered teams 3-0 and higher in South Africa by having the best counter-attack in the tournament. The Italians used to win tournaments without scoring more than 1 goal in a match.

In a single elimination tournament, unless you have Pele/fat Ronaldo/Kaka, Zidane/Henry, or David Villa/Xavi/Iniesta, you're better off letting the opponents come to you.

TOONTILLIDIE
TOONTILLIDIE (IP Logged)
14 February, 2012 21:02
I would be happy to play counter attacking football, and have a specific plan going into the tournament, as there is no way we can come out and attack teams like Holland, Spain and Germany as we will get thrashed.

I can't remember the last tournament when England came out and played football. I think we could have the players to do this and get to the quarter final and depending on who you drew even the semi final if we played the right way. Personally I would be over the moon with that as it would be progress especially as some of the kids would have likely played a major/minor part in it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net