football
Latest News:

the baldy one
the baldy one (IP Logged)

tranmere rovers 0 liverpool 6
11 July, 2019 21:25
I really now think it is time to scrap the pre season game v Liverpool. it is doing no one any good. it is just a complete and utter waste of every ones time. Liverpool do not want tp play the game as every time it comes round they always play either the reserves or youth players and we are just running round trying to get the ball. its a complete shambles and now is the time to let it go. we should be playing proper pre season games this was not one of them.

Bored rover
Bored rover (IP Logged)

Re: tranmere rovers 0 liverpool 6
11 July, 2019 21:30
Chasing the ball about for 90 minutes and getting trounced is actually good preparation it tells the manager a-lot about his players but it wouldn't be like you not to whine.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

11 July, 2019 21:30
a pre season game vs Macclesfield with 1,700 in the ground or Liverpool with 14,000 in the ground, I think I know what the vast majority of Rovers fans would rather have..$$$$$ in the bank for the club.

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

11 July, 2019 21:36
+1

Hampshire White
Hampshire White (IP Logged)

11 July, 2019 21:43
+2

Steve45
Steve45 (IP Logged)

11 July, 2019 21:54
How about playing Everton just for a change.

ming05
ming05 (IP Logged)

11 July, 2019 21:55
Brings money in yes , but does getting trounced by team of their b and c team help morale of our team. It's a double edged blade sometimes .

Jimsteel
Jimsteel (IP Logged)

11 July, 2019 22:10
What a mess we are doomed

trfc-boi
trfc-boi (IP Logged)

11 July, 2019 22:11
Liverpool technically bossed it, which they do to premier league teams, Rovers pulled from one side to pitch & back again all match. Reds pace & touch so difficult to compete with, glad it’s over.
Yes brings money to club, but getting a hammering and closing down, what we gain on the pitch from it.
Mixed views, playing a European champion winning squad,.

Uptonrover
Uptonrover (IP Logged)

11 July, 2019 22:28
Doubt Everton would even get a half full ground to be honest. Maybe one of the Manchester clubs for a change but cant moan at £££ through the turnstille. It was a decent enough game, more about fitness building and getting sharpness back. Thought Banks had a good 45 as did Perkins. Ray looked promising. I actually thought Payne and Miller could potentially be a decent pairing. Payne was getting a lot of knock downs for Miller to muscle through. Bloody idiot fans (ours included) at the end on a brand new pitch.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

11 July, 2019 22:28
Liverpool not that good ,Spurs scored Seven 😳

Prenton oldpup
Prenton oldpup (IP Logged)

11 July, 2019 22:31
The end product justifies the Game.How many other teams from league one would love to obtain such an amount of cash from similar games at the start of the season.
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, just except the money and move on

EBAWB
EBAWB (IP Logged)

11 July, 2019 22:33
Worth it for the money. Worth it for the work out. Sure, a 0-6 defeat is not welcome but I don't see it as a problem with morale. We were playing the European Champions.....Would a 6-0 victory over Vauxhall Motors instead have made us over confident? I don't think so either. There's no sense in attaching such psychological importance to this match. It's a pre-seaon friendly! Let's just invest the cash in the season to come. I for one hope this friendly fixture is played for years to come.

Every ball's a white ball

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

11 July, 2019 22:38
the running round is a feature and not a bug, btw...

bumhobo33
bumhobo33 (IP Logged)

11 July, 2019 22:41
60-0 and I still wouldn't care. Worth it for the money and I guarantee everyone of our guys would rather get their teeth kicked in by liverpool in front of a sellout than play southpark in front of a man and a dog. They can all say they played against the European champions for the rest of their lives...they would go out tomorrow and do it again if given the chance.

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

11 July, 2019 23:19
Quote:
the baldy one
I really now think it is time to scrap the pre season game v Liverpool. it is doing no one any good. it is just a complete and utter waste of every ones time. Liverpool do not want tp play the game as every time it comes round they always play either the reserves or youth players and we are just running round trying to get the ball. its a complete shambles and now is the time to let it go. we should be playing proper pre season games this was not one of them.
so we don't get £250grand .get real baldy

Fiftyyearsarover

11 July, 2019 23:22
Agree ,it’s all about getting fit and finding out how promising the new squad is ,and the money is great just move on now ,next

Swa1976
Swa1976 (IP Logged)

12 July, 2019 00:00
Why are people moaning already?? Take the money, take the workout, and the pace of play will highlight massively our weaknesses short term, the next few friendlies will give us a little more time on the ball, and we will build up some confidence, get behind the club!!! SWA!

LongStandingFan
LongStandingFan (IP Logged)

12 July, 2019 00:05
Quote:
Swa1976
Why are people moaning already?? Take the money, take the workout, and the pace of play will highlight massively our weaknesses short term, the next few friendlies will give us a little more time on the ball, and we will build up some confidence, get behind the club!!! SWA!

Yes.....!!!!

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

12 July, 2019 00:23
Oooo a match review thr...oh wait, who started it. I’m good thanks!

Prenton Pirate
Prenton Pirate (IP Logged)

12 July, 2019 00:45
I think we take the money, take the stuffing and move on. Liverpool were quite good to watch and were much faster than us.
Pluses were Blackett-Taylor, Miller (who was a handful for their defence), Gilmour and MoM Monthe and I think it was Walker-Rice. We should have had a penalty when Morris was bundled over.
Highlight was two of their players being Mannied and one had to go off because of it.

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

12 July, 2019 01:03
Look I am sorry but we have to get real.

That money we made is a vital part of our budget for this season and I am sure MP has spent on the assumption that we have that money coming in.

As to the game - I didn't see it but considering that Lpool mainly had youth out who had been back in training for less than us the scoreline is not great. That said we will know far more when we play Stoke!

the baldy one

12 July, 2019 09:14
let me reply to my opening thread on this topic. I know full well we were meant to be playing Liverpool fc but we ended up playing a mixture of Liverpool fc reserves and Liverpool fc youth. the first angle I want Tranmere fans to look at it from is this- in the cold light of day what good is it for Tranmere rovers first team to be playing a match against Liverpool fc reserves / youth team no good at all. if we were playing Liverpool fc first team that would be ok but we were not. I honestly think starting from next season Liverpool fc should promise Tranmere that they will play their full first team or just scrap the match. the next angle Tranmere fans will look at it from is the money. because it was Liverpool fc - that brought a bit more money into the club. but this is completely the wrong angle to look at it from. fair enough we might get a bit more money but I do not see at all what Tranmere rovers first team players gained from playing against Liverpool fc reserves/ youth team. as soon as this match was announced everyone knew firstly Liverpool fc would not take it seriously and we were going to get hammered so what is the point. if Liverpool fc cannot be bothered sending their proper players we should tell them to get lost. we need to play pre season friendlies against teams who play their first team players and take the game seriously. Liverpool fc can stay in Liverpool and we will play someone else. also if next week stoke city do not play their proper players we should not play them again either.

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)

12 July, 2019 09:40
Getting pulled from one side of the pitch to the other is surely a benefit in our first real preseason game. It's all about fitness and money in the bank. It is worthless to us for any other reason, but they are two very good reasons. Who cares about the result? They did the same sort of thing to us last year. I didn't seem to do any lasting harm... what happened at the end of the season again?

MESSAGES->author

12 July, 2019 09:52
Quote:
Doogie'sGhost
Getting pulled from one side of the pitch to the other is surely a benefit in our first real preseason game. It's all about fitness and money in the bank. It is worthless to us for any other reason, but they are two very good reasons. Who cares about the result? They did the same sort of thing to us last year. I didn't seem to do any lasting harm... what happened at the end of the season again?

+1

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

12 July, 2019 09:56
Quote:
the baldy one
let me reply to my opening thread on this topic. I know full well we were meant to be playing Liverpool fc but we ended up playing a mixture of Liverpool fc reserves and Liverpool fc youth. the first angle I want Tranmere fans to look at it from is this- in the cold light of day what good is it for Tranmere rovers first team to be playing a match against Liverpool fc reserves / youth team no good at all. if we were playing Liverpool fc first team that would be ok but we were not. I honestly think starting from next season Liverpool fc should promise Tranmere that they will play their full first team or just scrap the match. the next angle Tranmere fans will look at it from is the money. because it was Liverpool fc - that brought a bit more money into the club. but this is completely the wrong angle to look at it from. fair enough we might get a bit more money but I do not see at all what Tranmere rovers first team players gained from playing against Liverpool fc reserves/ youth team. as soon as this match was announced everyone knew firstly Liverpool fc would not take it seriously and we were going to get hammered so what is the point. if Liverpool fc cannot be bothered sending their proper players we should tell them to get lost. we need to play pre season friendlies against teams who play their first team players and take the game seriously. Liverpool fc can stay in Liverpool and we will play someone else. also if next week stoke city do not play their proper players we should not play them again either.
The point is £300,000 in the bank. Secondly, if we continue building a relationship with Lpool (and Klopp seems genuinely friendly to Tranmere mentioning John Achterberg many times) we may get some young players we could not otherwise on loan cheaply.
That to me is more than enough!

Uptonrover
Uptonrover (IP Logged)

12 July, 2019 10:04
Reserves? Mignolet, clybe, gomez, lallana, milner, ox chamberlain, fabinio and origi all have significant Premier league/champions league and international experience so im not having that sorry. We know why the other players were not there because they are either still on international duty or on a break after it. Next season its the euros so again it will not be a full team. There is absoluelty no way in this world we would say no to the money so get real

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2019 10:08 by Uptonrover.

Fiftyyearsarover

12 July, 2019 10:18
Liverpool don’t have to send a team for a friendly game hopefully they do it to help us out it gives them chance to try out the up and coming youngsters and a few newcomers and first teamers returning after injury .they are not going to send the stars over who may get injured and out for the season in a meaningless friendly ,it suits us via the money and them to give the youngsters a chance to shine ,it is what it is a pre season kick about and if people want to go and pay £20 to see LFC reserves,youth whatever that’s fine ,you know what you are going to get ,not happy ? Don’t go ,but thank you LFC for the money

Tommy Egg
Tommy Egg (IP Logged)

12 July, 2019 10:19
Quote:
Uptonrover
Reserves? Mignolet, clybe, gomez, lallana, milner, ox chamberlain, fabinio and origi all have significant Premier league/champions league and international experience so im not having that sorry. We know why the other players were not there because they are either still on international duty or on a break after it. Next season its the euros so again it will not be a full team. There is absoluelty no way in this world we would say no to the money so get real

+ 1 .Although it was difficult to say from the lack of possession we had of the bew boys I liked the look of Ray, CBT, Potter and Miller ,not sure about Payne's temperament, that was a nasty tackle he made against Gomez, I think .Thought Rides , Perkins , Connor and Mullins put in a shift .

MESSAGES->author

12 July, 2019 10:19
Long may the pre season games with liverpool continue..we can make real good money from them and we should be thankful to Liverpool for that..who gives a damn about pre season results against teams of a much higher standard? I don't..Accrington Stanley 2-1 Olympic Marseille last night, WOW! Big F*cking deal, the game was played at Salfords ground with only 1,200 in attendance..We made a quarter of a million quid last night in ticket sales, Accrington probably made a few new French friends but absolutely nothing else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2019 10:31 by hong kong rover.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

12 July, 2019 10:29
They brought their strongest squad, treated us with respect, filled the ground and gave us a good work out. All for just a friendly. And still some people moan.

On a separate point, we'll probably take a few beatings next season and we'll need lads who are mentally strong enough to bounce back. Last season's squad showed that character after the Spurs game so it'll be interesting how the new boys react to last night. Personally I think they'll be fine in that regard but, if any heads do drop, then we might have problems next season so better to find out now rather than later.

paulbyron
paulbyron (IP Logged)

12 July, 2019 10:43
Quote:
the baldy one
BALDY ONE try telling my grandsons it was ONLY Liverpool reserves/youth out there to them it was LIVERPOOL CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINNERS they loved every minute

jonesy792
jonesy792 (IP Logged)

12 July, 2019 10:56
BALDY, I wouldn’t want a stronger team than what Liverpool put out. The score line was bad enough , don’t want it to go into double figures.

jonesy792
jonesy792 (IP Logged)

12 July, 2019 11:02
And the reason key first team players weren’t playing is because they’re away on international duty

Eric01 Tranmere
Eric01 Tranmere (IP Logged)

12 July, 2019 11:44
And also I think our players would want to play against the best possible opposition. That means only Liverpool. It is a way of measuring themselves and learning.

Fiftyyearsarover

12 July, 2019 12:39
True ,even their young on the verge players are miles better than anyone we have and will meet this season it’s a good lesson ,get over it and move on to the Stoke game ,can see that 0-4 or so but who cares learn from these games

coltran
coltran (IP Logged)

12 July, 2019 12:39
If anyone thinks that we should no longer play Liverpool in these pre-season friendlies, perhaps they could recommend to the club an alternative way to raise £250,000 in revenue? This is a large contribution to the playing budget.

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

12 July, 2019 12:52
It brings a few bob in for the club but it seems we don't have the strength in the squad like years ago.

I reflect on the day we played Liverpool in the same type of pre season match but then we had Aldridge playing in one of his first games in the white of Tranmere didn't get beat in that game think we beat a strong Liverpool side 1-0 in that game.
Oh well best to take the best out of yesterday's match the £££££

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2019 15:04 by BELMONT.

Fiftyyearsarover

12 July, 2019 14:01
It will be many moons( I will have expired )by the time we have a side at Tranmere one that could match Aldo ,moggsie Nevin etc etc 1988/2000 was the best time to be a white

MESSAGES->author

12 July, 2019 14:35
Quote:
hong kong rover
Long may the pre season games with liverpool continue..we can make real good money from them and we should be thankful to Liverpool for that..who gives a damn about pre season results against teams of a much higher standard? I don't..Accrington Stanley 2-1 Olympic Marseille last night, WOW! Big F*cking deal, the game was played at Salfords ground with only 1,200 in attendance..We made a quarter of a million quid last night in ticket sales, Accrington probably made a few new French friends but absolutely nothing else.

* it was at Salford rugby ground.

mill park white
mill park white (IP Logged)

12 July, 2019 15:03
Quote:
coltran
If anyone thinks that we should no longer play Liverpool in these pre-season friendlies, perhaps they could recommend to the club an alternative way to raise £250,000 in revenue? This is a large contribution to the playing budget.
There's only one person thinks we should no longer play Liverpool pre-season. And he's not actually quite as stupid as his quotes, he's just a big wind up merchant.

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

12 July, 2019 15:14
Quote:
mill park white
Quote:
coltran
There's only one person thinks we should no longer play Liverpool pre-season. And he's not actually quite as stupid as his quotes, he's just a big wind up merchant.
yep u are right but still he gets reaction.anyway next season can we play them at an field and keep gate receipts please

Fiftyyearsarover

12 July, 2019 15:27
Yes good idea Loyden ,but ask them nicely if we can have the game over 2 legs

the baldy one

12 July, 2019 15:37
ok - so what I understand from all these replies so far is that every single Tranmere rovers fan would rather go and watch a nothing match full of Liverpool fc schoolboys as long as we get money in the bank due to it being a big crowd. also I read messages on Tranmere rovers twitter pages saying it was a sell out - but I saw loads of empty seats around the ground. so what was the ghost attendance for this match.

gary anderson
gary anderson (IP Logged)

12 July, 2019 16:33
I watched the game in crete we got well ant truely beat faster and more alert than us but the game means nothing it's a nice little earner and it gives all those plastic scoucers who live in Birkenhead and the only time they ever get to see there so called team play live .so give them there day out take there money and dicenfect the kop after letting them use it for the night and then they go back to there locals and get back to being the telly clappers they are .thanks for the cash lads see you next season 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Uptonrover
Uptonrover (IP Logged)

12 July, 2019 16:36
As previously stated Baldy it wasnt a team of schoolboys. As for being a nothing match- what do you win preseason?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2019 16:37 by Uptonrover.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

12 July, 2019 17:05
Either Baldy is daft or just gratuitously provacative and I very much doubt it is the former.At any stage of last nights game the personnel on the field must have been worth at least £60 million. It is laughable to describe them as schoolboys.
The income is important but so also is the exposure. It draws new people to Prentom Park and some will come again.
It was not Liverpool,that were weak last night but we were less competitive than we have been in the same fixture. It is difficult to judge players in a game like last night but few from Rovers stood out and it is clutching at straws to imagine that any of the new acquisitions showed enough to feel confident about how well they will work out. For me Miller alone did enough to suggest that if he can stay fit he could be useful.
We will get more idea from the Stoke Walsall games

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

12 July, 2019 17:42
Wouldn't mind a couple of schoolboys on loan .like brewster or Chapman maybe

LongStandingFan
LongStandingFan (IP Logged)

13 July, 2019 01:59
I think people should remember back to January 2019, when we played Tottenham in the cup and we got a pasting. It wasn't nice for Tranmere fans, but look what happened within weeks of that defeat. In the January window we brought in a batch of new players who then helped the team to promotion. All done with the help of the money from that one game.Maybe the money from this Liverpool friendly will help TRFC get a few more players in, when the time is right. So although I don't like the lads getting a hammering, some real good might come out of this game. So thanks to Mr.Klopp and LFC.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 13/07/2019 02:02 by LongStandingFan.

MESSAGES->author

13 July, 2019 15:46
Quote:
coltran

+1

warren r
Wozza (IP Logged)

13 July, 2019 15:58
Quote:
hong kong rover
Quote:
coltran

+1
well said sir 🙌

Fiftyyearsarover

13 July, 2019 23:10
Kids? ,Wilson was a big star last season on loan to Derby , very impressive young man .will play for England that’s for sure ,a lot of championship side struggled against him .so with the likes of him and Brewster it was always going to be tough

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

14 July, 2019 00:46
One thing is for sure 50, Wilson won’t be playing for England as he made his full debut for Wales (and made 11 I think appearances since) in 2013.
But what you say is correct, him alongside some others weren’t kids playing. It was more everyone they had available that weren’t on international duty currently.

the baldy one

15 July, 2019 09:17
hi lads - can anyone tell me what the attendance was for the Tranmere v Liverpool match last week. I have been all over the internet - read lots of match reports etc and no were does it say what the attendance was - cheers.

Bored rover
Bored rover (IP Logged)

15 July, 2019 17:41
Quote:
the baldy one
hi lads - can anyone tell me what the attendance was for the Tranmere v Liverpool match last week. I have been all over the internet - read lots of match reports etc and no were does it say what the attendance was - cheers.

It was 346.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net