football
Latest News:

pez
pez (IP Logged)

George Ray - Crewe Centre Half
24 June, 2019 12:40
Seeing snippets linking us with George Ray.

25 year old Welsh born Centre Half who now resides in Warrington.

Anyone seen him play?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/06/2019 12:45 by pez.

cabletastic
cabletastic (IP Logged)

Re: George Ray - Crewe Centre Half
24 June, 2019 15:39
According to Wikipedia, we've already signed him ;-)

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

24 June, 2019 15:41
His Crewe debut came at Wembley

MESSAGES->author

24 June, 2019 15:48
I wonder if this means that Sid Nelson isn't going to happen?

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

24 June, 2019 16:22
Quote:
hong kong rover
I wonder if this means that Sid Nelson isn't going to happen?
Possibly an assumption, as it stands that would be only 2 fit centre backs with Ellis and Gumbs probably not figuring much at all, certainly this side of Christmas.

bheadlad
bheadlad (IP Logged)

24 June, 2019 17:06
Just checked the fans forum at Crewe and he has mixed opinions on his worth in fact one fan particularly slagged him especially over his display at Cheltenham but he is a risk on the disciplinary side but gives it his all and is only thought as league 1/2 at best is what I briefly read
He was offered another contract which he refused early so can’t be too bad .Still only 25.

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

24 June, 2019 17:27
Signed on two year deal now on O/S.

Uptonrover
Uptonrover (IP Logged)

24 June, 2019 17:39
Ray of the Rovers. Welcome. Any offers on gamma ray to celebrate?

MESSAGES->author

24 June, 2019 17:45
Stingray - any opposition forwards are gonna get stung.

MESSAGES->author

24 June, 2019 18:08
Manny v Akinfenwa should be one helluva duel when Rovers meet Wycombe. The beast has recently signed a one year deal to stay at Wycombe. that duel will make Macca v Matt Rhead seem like toytown lol...Manny will slay the beast.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/06/2019 18:17 by hong kong rover.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

24 June, 2019 18:34
IT feels like a wait and see signing.No obvious reason to get excited but enough experience to possibly do a job. I would have been more excited if Nelson had signed as he looks like a player who could develop significantly with more experience

Tom Bombadil
Tom Bombadil (IP Logged)

24 June, 2019 18:40
Ray is 6'4" not exactly a light weight.

Prenton Pirate
Prenton Pirate (IP Logged)

24 June, 2019 20:46
Quote:
hong kong rover
Manny v Akinfenwa should be one helluva duel when Rovers meet Wycombe. The beast has recently signed a one year deal to stay at Wycombe. that duel will make Macca v Matt Rhead seem like toytown lol...Manny will slay the beast.

Mc Nulty v Akinfenwa would have been worth watching. The earth might have moved.
George Ray has come through the Alex system so should be good in possession.

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

24 June, 2019 20:53
George played in the game at PP which, we won 1.0 and looked from memory OK.

As with all new signings will need time to bed in but, at 6 Ft 4 will give additional height. We still need another centre back (hopefully Sid)as Ellis and Gumbs out till at least Xmas with their respective injuries.

Bored rover
Bored rover (IP Logged)

24 June, 2019 20:57
Quote:
DevonExile
IT feels like a wait and see signing.No obvious reason to get excited but enough experience to possibly do a job. I would have been more excited if Nelson had signed as he looks like a player who could develop significantly with more experience

Rumoured that he may well still sign, don't forget this only takes us to 2 fit CBs

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

24 June, 2019 21:58
Quote:
Prenton Pirate
Quote:
hong kong rover

Mc Nulty v Akinfenwa would have been worth watching. The earth might have moved.
George Ray has come through the Alex system so should be good in possession.
I seem to remember Goodison keeping Akinfenwa quiet down at Gillingham a few seasons ago.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

25 June, 2019 07:41
The report is that he is 6ft 3 suggest an alarming growth spurt as a year ago he was listed as 5ft 10

gary anderson
gary anderson (IP Logged)

25 June, 2019 08:19
Appears to be a good signing and more to come .mm very capable of building a squad of more than holding our own in league one .so looking forward to the season starting .

MoanerLesser
onetwothreeoleary (IP Logged)

25 June, 2019 10:45
Quote:
DevonExile
The report is that he is 6ft 3 suggest an alarming growth spurt as a year ago he was listed as 5ft 10

Usual media tall story?

[en.m.wikipedia.org])

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

25 June, 2019 11:07
I think Ray is a good signing ,only 25 years old and came through the Crewe academy which is a good sign ,the defence is starting to take shape .its the goal scoring side wants sorting now ,been linked with a few but no one stands out and make you shout” Eureka “but it’s very difficult to get who we need if we don’t have the money .i would go for 2decent ones as opposed to one who might be ok

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

25 June, 2019 14:39
Regarding his height, I thought that it’s a bit weird considering both Wiki and Footy manager have him around 5 10 but if you look at Crewe highlights then he looks taller than most on the park. I’d put him between Manny and Ellis height-wise.

On the signing, think it could be decent as he has experience at this level and was captaining Crewe. in his own words is good on the deck and wins all his headers. Above all, like every newcomer if he pulls the white shirt on and gives his all then I’ll be a happy man.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net