Latest news:

O/T What ever happened to Road side Gullysuckers.
Discussion started by BELMONT (IP Logged), 10 June, 2019 19:13
MESSAGES->author
BELMONT
10 June, 2019 19:13
O/T(Sm158) Here with this subject but driving past the Halfway(Sm128) House around 4.30pm today the road by the side door to the Halfway House bar was flooded in fact it bloody daft how deep (Sm157)and far it covered.

Now going round the area of Wirral in recent weeks when we've had heavy rain there seems to be more areas getting flooded like this nothing has changed in having heavy rain we've had it for years.

But having lived for 70+ years I remember the times that the local council would send out gullysucker out on a weekly or monthly to clear the drains out so any rain would run down the grids(Sm156). Just can't remember the last time I've seen this done. Oh well with nothing happening on the transfer front and no Super Whites to watch till August that's my ranthot smiley of the day over with.(Sm22)

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost
10 June, 2019 20:08
Surface water drains and sewers both used to be the responsibility of councils but sewers were transferred back to water companies in the early 90s. I guess that has something to do with it as the consequences of surface water flooding are a lot less than sewer water.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover
11 June, 2019 17:42
Belmont ,I spotted a gully sucker in Wrexham while visiting my brother ,so they still exist

Loyden1
Loyden1
11 June, 2019 19:51
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
Belmont ,I spotted a gully sucker in Wrexham while visiting my brother ,so they still exist
oh how is dai kwondo,

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13
11 June, 2019 20:10
Sound like a 70s pub band

MESSAGES->author
Phil65
11 June, 2019 20:39
Heard it on the grapevine that they still make an appearance on Corporation Road. Very efficient I hear; all the drains are regularly freed of blockages.

davep63
davep63
11 June, 2019 20:41
Ah now I can answer this with having over 15yrs experience driving and operating gully suckers on the Wirral for our ex sponsors Bagnall and Morris now know as B+m waste the gully suckers used used to cover the whoĺe of the Wirral taking six months do do the whoĺe borough which meant over a twelve month period every gully throughout the Wirral would be done twice but now due to council cut backs they are only done once a year but it's only the gullys that the council clean in times like this due to heavy rain fall for prolonged periods it's the volume of water going down the gullys entering the main lines that cannot take the mass flow of water now the main line pipes are down to United utilities ie the water board to clean and as far as I know are not serviced on a regular basis only when problems occur, but most of the time the main pipes can take the volume of water but it's times like this wen we've had nearly a week of constant rain that the system struggles, hope that's answed your question 👍

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost
11 June, 2019 21:03
Ah that explains the gully sucker bit, but is a bit wrong on the drains. Highway drains and gullies are the responsibility of local councils still. They dont go to UU - and a really uninteresting fact is the Welsh Water is responsible for some of the sewer network in west Wirral, not UU anyway - and generally discharge into straight into watercourses or larger storm water drainage systems. They don't go near the UU sewer network. Your household rainwater from gutters, etc is different this usually does go to UU (if it doesn't because you have your own water harvesting system or soakaway you may qualify for a rebate) although a fair number of these discharge into watercourses without being treated too as there are separate systems for sewer waste and rainwater in some areas.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover
11 June, 2019 22:07
This thread has to be the most OFF of Off Topics.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover
11 June, 2019 22:59
All knowledge is useful HKR know a bit about everything I say .i enjoy some of these off topics ,beats all the repetitive comments we get on here sometimes .i don’t know about gully suckers we will need some serious Ark building shortly

Loyden1
Loyden1
11 June, 2019 23:05
Quote:
hong kong rover
This thread has to be the most OFF of Off Topics.
job advertised for a gully sucker £300a week and all you can eat.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover
11 June, 2019 23:06
PS ,effecting the cricket now ,now I am getting vexed 😡

Prenton Pirate
Prenton Pirate
12 June, 2019 11:41
Vexed 2. Had Tuesday off to go to Worcester to watch Lancs, but weather knocked that on the head. Think we're getting all the rain we didn't get last year.
As for Dai Kwondo, he's dreaming of visits to Chorley, Dover, Boreham Wood etc. Or should that be having nightmares.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.