football
Latest News:

trfc-boi
trfc-boi (IP Logged)

Mansfield terminate Managers contract
14 May, 2019 14:42
Mansfield Town can announce that the contract of David Flitcroft as manager has been terminated.

Despite a season of progress, we were unable to fulfil our primary objective of earning promotion to League One, despite having a number of games to achieve this ambition.

“We thank David and his staff for their tireless endeavours and part ways amicably. David and his staff have been highly professional throughout their tenures and we wish them genuine success in the future.”

gary anderson
gary anderson (IP Logged)

Re: Mansfield terminate Managers contract
14 May, 2019 15:18
That's a shock they are a good side one of the better sides I seen this season .but just goes to show how clubs now want instant success .on that sort of showing if ypu don't win promotion or a trophy your jobs on the line so 14 jobs are safe the rest could be sacked .what a cut throat business football has become since the overseas influx of money men .

bheadlad
bheadlad (IP Logged)

14 May, 2019 15:41
He won’t be without a job for long

MoanerLesser
FredUrmson107in333 (IP Logged)

14 May, 2019 15:44
Quote:
gary anderson
That's a shock they are a good side one of the better sides I seen this season .but just goes to show how clubs now want instant success .on that sort of showing if ypu don't win promotion or a trophy your jobs on the line so 14 jobs are safe the rest could be sacked .what a cut throat business football has become since the overseas influx of money men .

Good job Klopp hasn't been treated same way but more like Ferguson, who was given time to build. I bet Mansfield do not do well next season.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

14 May, 2019 15:48
What a stupid decision,a good manager ,best team at PP this season

gary anderson
gary anderson (IP Logged)

14 May, 2019 15:50
Agree I think they may struggle .he was doing a great job for them .now someone els comes in undoes all the hard work and change the players and way they played.Mansfield may regret there decision given him another season they were only denied auto promotion on last day of season and playoffs as we know can go either way form goes out the window .

rak
rak (IP Logged)

14 May, 2019 16:34
that is a shame. Hope he is back in management soon

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

14 May, 2019 17:36
Mansfield are also owned by a husband and wife team, John Radford and his now wife Carolyn.

He caused a sensation by making his then girlfriend CEO after buying the club in 2010. She appears to be a loose cannon at times and I wonder who made the decision to sack the manager?

They also appointed Steve Evans for an immediate promotion he didn't last the season?

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

14 May, 2019 18:40
Lowe the Bury manager given permission to speak to Plymouth about the managers job ,more fun at Bury ?

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

14 May, 2019 19:25
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
What a stupid decision,a good manager ,best team at PP this season
+1

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

14 May, 2019 19:31
All as a result of their top scorer a Forest loanee missing a penalty

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

14 May, 2019 20:48
IT is an example of the ineptitude of some owners.Sacking a manager should always be a last resort despite some supporters beying for a managers head when a team has a temporary lapse of form.
It helps that we have a chairman who both knows and has played the game. I wonder if there has been another example where chair and manager have played for the club they now run

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

14 May, 2019 20:50
Was he the one always falling over trying to contact refs ?

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

14 May, 2019 21:39
A poor decision. I could understand if they wanted promotion and they were 10th or worse with 4-5 games to go and realistically no chance of even the playoffs, but that is a club that has not even been in the second tier of football in the last 25 years, so they can hardly be seen as fallen big boys trying to relive past exploits in the top 2 tiers and unless they have had big money backers or new bankroll owners in the last 2-3 years, which I don't think they have, then they could hardly act like a charlie big bananas team and demand success.

They were not being absurd to believe in a promotion, but they are being a little absurd I feel to sack someone who got them into the playoffs and it might come back to bite them on the bottom.

If the next guy in charge gets them promotion fair enough, but right now Flitcroft's sacking looks a bit poor from my belief, but he will probably bounce back soon enough, as has been said previously on this dicussion.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Bored rover
Bored rover (IP Logged)

14 May, 2019 21:40
I remember Southampton sacking Adkins a few years back mid table in the prem everyone hit the roof, then they signed this bloke called Pochatino, worked out ok for them

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

14 May, 2019 22:15
Admittedly soton are still just in the Prem but Pochetino is long gone

Viking Tranmere
Viking Tranmere (IP Logged)

16 May, 2019 08:18
Flitcroft is a good manager and it was a pathetic decision by the Mansfield "lets buy promotion" board.

I would like to see how he would get on with a team without a big budget

paulbyron
paulbyron (IP Logged)

16 May, 2019 11:34
I too thought they were a cracking team up here, really pleased with a point to be honest

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

16 May, 2019 18:22
See that the former Grimsby, Shrews and Ipswich boss, Paul Hurst is the new manager at Scunny.

MESSAGES->author

16 May, 2019 18:33
BBC Footy website has it down that Danny Cowley and Chris Hughton are under consideration for the managers job at WBA.

jal jal
jal jal (IP Logged)

16 May, 2019 18:43
The Cowleys will be staying at City, they and all the board members work as one team together.

MESSAGES->author

16 May, 2019 18:46
Quote:
jal jal
The Cowleys will be staying at City, they and all the board members work as one team together.

got you worried jal jal, lol..its believed that WBA would have to pay half a million in compensation to Lincoln to get Cowley.

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

16 May, 2019 18:57
Getting shot of not only the manager but the whole coaching team. It may be a money saving measure, if memory serves me well Notts County did similar at the end of last season, didn't work out too well for them.

jal jal
jal jal (IP Logged)

16 May, 2019 19:21
Quote:
hong kong rover
Quote:
jal jal

got you worried jal jal, lol..its believed that WBA would have to pay half a million in compensation to Lincoln to get Cowley.

Hi Hong Kong

That price would have to double as we have 2 of them.(Sm1)

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

16 May, 2019 23:06
Quote:
Viking Tranmere
Flitcroft is a good manager and it was a pathetic decision by the Mansfield "lets buy promotion" board.
I would like to see how he would get on with a team without a big budget

Not that well at Barnsley. He was let go I think around the time Wolves went down from the championship, when Dean Saunders was in charge. Barnsley's budget around that time was rumoured to be the smallest in that league at £5,000,000, so his ability to spend in relation to other championship clubs was limited.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Prenton Pirate
Prenton Pirate (IP Logged)

16 May, 2019 23:14
Flitcroft was given a "promotion" budget but failed to deliver. That gamble failed and the club are cutting their cloth accordingly, appointing the academy coach and going down the youth direction.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net