football
Latest News:

Tranman
Tranman (IP Logged)

Ian Muir and James Norwood
15 March, 2019 11:11
James Norwood is closing in on Ian Muir's highest number of goals in a season in all games, 29. He's becoming irreplaceable.

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

Re: Ian Muir and James Norwood
15 March, 2019 12:33
Good player but not in muirys class

MoanerLesser
FredUrmson107in333 (IP Logged)

15 March, 2019 12:51
completely disagree. Norwood has been scoring more goals 'out of nothing' and creating goals for others than ever i rememeber muir doing. muir was good when the team played well. norwood scores when the team isnt plsying well.

that is not to say that i dont respect muir's achievements. tranmere were lucky to have him. as they are Norwood.

Tom Bombadil
Tom Bombadil (IP Logged)

15 March, 2019 13:10
With due respect to both gentlemen, Muir probably had the better players around him. Its. true Norwood is often having to make the best out of it at times and does.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/03/2019 13:11 by Tom Bombadil.

the baldy one
the baldy one (IP Logged)

15 March, 2019 14:04
tranman - if I have read your thread correctly are you saying the most goals ian muir scored in one season was 29 goals if so that is wrong he once scored 35 goals in one season for Tranmere rovers.

Tranman
Tranman (IP Logged)

15 March, 2019 15:01
Quote:
the baldy one
tranman - if I have read your thread correctly are you saying the most goals ian muir scored in one season was 29 goals if so that is wrong he once scored 35 goals in one season for Tranmere rovers.

I am happy to be corrected, maybe I only found a reference to league goals. In which season did he score his 35 goals!

the baldy one

15 March, 2019 15:27
tranman - thanks for your reply. the season ian muir scored 35 goals was 1989-1990. that was the season when we finished 3rd in the old division 3 behind the 2 Bristol clubs and ended up beating Bristol rovers 2-1 at Wembley in the Leyland daf trophy.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

15 March, 2019 16:43
Can you ever compare players from different eras. Football is a team game and the achievements of any player have to be set in the context of the team.
I like both for the same reasons- their prolific scoring, but above all their whole hearted commitment on the field.Both players shared the characteristic that even on off days they never hid away.
It is strikers like this and I would include Yardley in this group that are demeaned by trying to rank them.
Players like these stay in the memory I couldn't give a hoot about which was best it is surely enough that they have been great for us

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/03/2019 16:58 by DevonExile.

Tranman
Tranman (IP Logged)

15 March, 2019 16:54
Quote:
the baldy one
tranman - thanks for your reply. the season ian muir scored 35 goals was 1989-1990. that was the season when we finished 3rd in the old division 3 behind the 2 Bristol clubs and ended up beating Bristol rovers 2-1 at Wembley in the Leyland daf trophy.

Hi Baldy. I was quoting 1989-1990 also, but it was league goals only. James Norwood now has 25 league goals and 27 in total, he should finish with more league goals than Ian Muir, but may not reach 35. As I said above, he is not replaceable as he and Ian Muir score the goals of two good strikers.

Bored rover
Bored rover (IP Logged)

15 March, 2019 17:19
Norwood can’t touch Ian Muir yet, his precvious seasons have been at non league level, he will need to repeat his scoring fetes for a couple of years yet at this level and maybe higher to be considered alongside Mr Muir. Don’t forget Muir scored across all 3 divisions for us.

the baldy one

15 March, 2019 17:26
since I started to post threads on this site approx. 12 months ago - I have said many many times that ian muir is not just our record goalscorer with 180 goals I also think he is our greatest ever player. in his pomp - ian muir was far to good for the level of football he was playing at but he stayed at Tranmere rovers for nearly 10 years before he was disgracefully kicked out by john king. as we speak I think james Norwood is in 8th place in the list of who has scored the most goals for Tranmere in their history. if I am correct - Norwood now has 87 goals for Tranmere in his career. so the way he is going this season he could quite easily get to mid 90s.

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

15 March, 2019 23:08
I don't think direct comparison is possible between players of different era, different league levels etc. Was the football better in L4 of 30+ years ago than last year's NL ? difficult to say. Both players will rightly be regarded as legends for the club.

belmont63
belmont63 (IP Logged)

16 March, 2019 23:46
Can't believe this thread. Muir scored lots of goals many exceptional ones for both good and struggling trfc teams. All were in the league or associated competitions. He scored some brilliant goals through his own skills - his deftness of touch and change of pace, unusually in football sometimes from slow to stop ( reminiscent for older supporters only of "the magic boomerang"l) was almost unique. In contrast norwood consistently contrives to miss when it's easier to score, is poor when one on one with a keeper, and has notched many of his trfc goals in the vanarama wilderness. Do they count at all? He can finish intuitively but given time to think he is as clinical as a brain surgeon wearing boxing gloves. Good luck to him but he's got some way to go to stand comparison with I'M.

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

17 March, 2019 00:04
Brother of baldy

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

17 March, 2019 00:35
Only thing really to say to that is yes his goals do count.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

17 March, 2019 08:31
Belmont, as a % how many chances do you think Norwood finishes?

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

17 March, 2019 09:11
It seems legend status at Tranmere is only counted if their career goes downhill or ends after Tranmere and if they move on and do better they get traitor status.

Tranman
Tranman (IP Logged)

17 March, 2019 11:16
Quote:
belmont63
Can't believe this thread. Muir scored lots of goals many exceptional ones for both good and struggling trfc teams. All were in the league or associated competitions. He scored some brilliant goals through his own skills - his deftness of touch and change of pace, unusually in football sometimes from slow to stop ( reminiscent for older supporters only of "the magic boomerang"l) was almost unique. In contrast norwood consistently contrives to miss when it's easier to score, is poor when one on one with a keeper, and has notched many of his trfc goals in the vanarama wilderness. Do they count at all? He can finish intuitively but given time to think he is as clinical as a brain surgeon wearing boxing gloves. Good luck to him but he's got some way to go to stand comparison with I'M.

If you my original post you will quite clearly see that I made no attempt to compare the two players. I merely pointed out how difficult it would be to replace James Norwood.

Claytonne&Clark
Claytonne&Clark (IP Logged)

18 March, 2019 10:29
Different eras so you can't compare.

Muir played in a time when clinical, but lazy, forwards were the norm - his style of play wouldn't thrive in the modern game, but he excelled in what he was asked to do. Players were much better in the box then as they were sharper from having done less.

Norwood isn't as clinical, but has a much stronger all-round game. In some ways, I'd compare Norwood more to Steel than Muir as their work-rates are much more alike. The same as I'd seem him closer to Malkin than Aldridge. He does that work, but also scores a lot more goals (chiefly as he doesn't have a lazier partner alongside him this season).

It's worth remembering thought that Muir didn't always play in a great team - he was signed by Worthy and we were dire for the first few seasons that he scored regularly.

Prenton Pirate
Prenton Pirate (IP Logged)

18 March, 2019 11:16
Both great strikers and Rovers hero's but slightly different. Nors work rate is phenomenal and he always give 100 p/c. Using pace to beat his marker and playing on the last man. Whereas Muir was a more skillful player, not as much pace but clever. In fact if he was playing now he would be an ideal No.10.

MoanerLesser
FredUrmson107in333 (IP Logged)

18 March, 2019 17:05
I would like to see the state for Muir as to whether he was more clinical. Norwood's are available. I cannot say who was more clinical without stats to compare.

Quote:
Claytonne&Clark
Different eras so you can't compare.
Muir played in a time when clinical, but lazy, forwards were the norm - his style of play wouldn't thrive in the modern game, but he excelled in what he was asked to do. Players were much better in the box then as they were sharper from having done less.

Norwood isn't as clinical, but has a much stronger all-round game. In some ways, I'd compare Norwood more to Steel than Muir as their work-rates are much more alike. The same as I'd seem him closer to Malkin than Aldridge. He does that work, but also scores a lot more goals (chiefly as he doesn't have a lazier partner alongside him this season).

It's worth remembering thought that Muir didn't always play in a great team - he was signed by Worthy and we were dire for the first few seasons that he scored regularly.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

18 March, 2019 18:01
What are norwoods finish %s like?

Tranman
Tranman (IP Logged)

20 March, 2019 13:22
League goals only

James Norwood
Tranmere

130minutes per goal

3239minutes played

25 Goals scored

1 Assists
Shots on target Total 66-64% Total shots 103

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

20 March, 2019 17:25
So a 25% finish rate.

Explains his season, he's running above average.

But Messi I think averages around 16% playing for a team that creates high quality chances.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net