trfc-boi (IP Logged)

Scholes quits Oldham
14 March, 2019 17:04
4 weeks in post, 1 win & gone

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

Re: Scholes quits Oldham
14 March, 2019 17:18
Quaking in his boots with TRFC coming to town this weekend, that's why he has quit.

MESSAGES->author

14 March, 2019 17:21
Quote from Scholes...'It unfortunately became clear that I would not be able to operate as I intended and was led to believe prior to taking on the role.'

MESSAGES->author

14 March, 2019 17:23
I think this is now the 3rd or 4th time so far this season that an opposition manager has quit or been sacked and that clubs very next game is versus the Rovers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/03/2019 17:26 by hong kong rover.

Uptonrover
Uptonrover (IP Logged)

14 March, 2019 17:32
Hate it when this happens. Never usually leads to a Rovers win

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/03/2019 17:38 by Uptonrover.

paulbyron
paulbyron (IP Logged)

14 March, 2019 17:41
only 1 win had nothing to do with it then!!!!

MESSAGES->author

14 March, 2019 17:45
The reason for him quitting could be anything, ranging from - not getting on with the owner,, or to being a bit naïve about what being a manager is these days.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 14/03/2019 17:50 by hong kong rover.

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

14 March, 2019 20:34
Convinced the game will now be called off, the old water logged pitch story.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

14 March, 2019 22:24
Maybe no one will know his true intentions, but then how many would want to or care about them.

He's now free to do other things that might inteest him and hopefully they make him happy. As for Oldham they will have to move on, but I have no beef with them, so I hope they are not cultivating a boardroom setup similar to Blackpool's in recent years, or the hierarchy might find themselves with fans boycotting it.

One question I feel may remain is if as he claims certain allowances in how he did his job were witheld, would the next person also have them withheld? Assuming Scholes wasn't asking for a remit above and beyond what most managers would expect to be allowed, in which case he might have been acting like he expected more than most managers would, based on who he is.

In my mind, past glories count for nothing at any club. There should be a mandate that is flexible, relevent to the clubs size and spending potential and given to any incumbent regardless of past exploits and if it falls below your expectations in the interview process politely decline.

However if you feel what was offered to you is not forthcoming, leave as soon as possible, or adapt your outlook on the job accordingly.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

pez
pez (IP Logged)

15 March, 2019 04:39
Apparently the owner was interfering with team selection and they haven't got a pot to @#$%& in

Team coaches were cancelled because the bill hasn't been paid to the coach firm, and the gas has been cut off for nine payment. They have no facility to dry kit, so the players have to wash their own at home.

The pitch is a mess and needs money spending on it.

He also thinks there is a mole in the team feeding gossip back to the owner.

No wonder he's quit tbh.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

15 March, 2019 07:27
Bloody hell, pez.

What a carry on thanks for sharing that

gary anderson
gary anderson (IP Logged)

15 March, 2019 07:48
What a mess .more and more of owners like this are getting the club's they take over in more and more debt .maybe the F A should be vetting these clowns .

MESSAGES->author

15 March, 2019 08:15
Quote:
pez
Apparently the owner was interfering with team selection and they haven't got a pot to @#$%& in
Team coaches were cancelled because the bill hasn't been paid to the coach firm, and the gas has been cut off for nine payment. They have no facility to dry kit, so the players have to wash their own at home.

The pitch is a mess and needs money spending on it.

He also thinks there is a mole in the team feeding gossip back to the owner.

No wonder he's quit tbh.

Tara Scholesy, this ain't the premier league you know, thought you would have realised that!

Kentexile
Kentexile (IP Logged)

15 March, 2019 08:28
Banksy must be gutted he left

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

15 March, 2019 08:33
Things must be bad they've called in a priest

Claytonne&Clark
Claytonne&Clark (IP Logged)

15 March, 2019 10:15
It's worth remembering that he joined after the transfer window closed. So if he was appointed and promised the chance to bring in players he hasn't been allowed to it would be due to his lack of understanding of the division. I'm not sure why you would resign now for the reason he's given - unless the owners are forcing him to pick players.

I usually think it's a bad thing to play a side after they've sacked the manager. You have no idea what formation they'll put out, the players will work harder to impress the new manager and often there were negative situations which disappear when managers change.

It also seems like weird timing as I'm sure winning a local derby, against Banks, in front of a massive ground would be the sort of things that would have bought him a lot of time with the fans. Saturday could well have been his chance to really make an impression on the fans.

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

15 March, 2019 11:39
Anybody see him at crewe game ?

MESSAGES->author

15 March, 2019 17:05
Going by the article on Scholes resignation, which is on the BBC Footy website, it appears that there was a bit of a rift between Scholes and Oldhams interfering owner/chairman.

paulbyron
paulbyron (IP Logged)

15 March, 2019 17:19
makes us appreciate mark & Nicola palios all the more

mill park white
mill park white (IP Logged)

15 March, 2019 18:12
If the report is true that he resigned by text and then cut off all contact, that is extremely petulant and lacking in class, despite any differences he had with the owner.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

15 March, 2019 21:15
I read he resigned on Whatsapp.

MESSAGES->author

16 March, 2019 02:24
Quote:
mill park white
If the report is true that he resigned by text and then cut off all contact, that is extremely petulant and lacking in class, despite any differences he had with the owner.

+1

gary anderson
gary anderson (IP Logged)

16 March, 2019 10:36
Quote:
hong kong rover
Quote:
mill park white

+1

Spot on very un professional way to go about things .yes the owner seems to be a very difficult man to work for yes the fans want him out and yes I thank god we have not got a bafoon like him in charge of our club .but Scholes have been in the game long enough to know there is right ways and wrong ways to do things and in this case he did it the wrong way .he has let the players and fans down

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

17 March, 2019 20:08
I wonder if he wanted the club renamed Scholesham Athletic and the owner disagreed?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net