football
Latest News:

the baldy one
the baldy one (IP Logged)

tranmere v oxford city
07 November, 2018 09:30
hi - let me start by saying thanks to the tranmere fans who replied to my thread - about the greatest game they had been to. there was certainly some great games mentioned. we now turn to the fa cup v oxford city. I think most tranmere fans would agree, no matter what players micky picks for this game we should win. in the checkatrade trophy, we picked the youngsters and got beat 3 times - so I would pick the young ones again so they can get a good confidence win under their belts. I would rest the main players so they do not get injured. oxford city are struggling in national league south, so it should be quite easy.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

Re: tranmere v oxford city
07 November, 2018 09:38
I would play a full strength side.With just one round afterwards before the chance of big money we do not want to take chances. Two wins could provide the kind of money that enables us to keep Norwood no other cup competition provides that sort of opportunity

cobas
cobas (IP Logged)

07 November, 2018 09:39
i thought it was going to be easy when we played coventry sporting, we were top of the old div 4, they were several divisions below. we lost 0-2.i would pick a strong line up, win and go through

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

07 November, 2018 13:19
Money to be made in this seasons FA Cup..if we can win in rounds 1 , 2 and 3 then the prize money we will get is not far off a quarter of a million quid.

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

07 November, 2018 13:30
I suspect MM will field a different 11 but hopefully not too many changes.It could be a money spinner if we get to rounds3/4.

Uptonrover
Uptonrover (IP Logged)

07 November, 2018 14:07
Wouldnt take anything for granted, can still get bloody Peterborough if we get through! But we are so overdue a massive Premier League team fixture. Have always wanted Man Utd away, never in my time following Rovers had the opportunity to see that

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

07 November, 2018 14:22
For me we play our best 11 - it is very very important to us financially that we get through to the 3rd round at least - £90k prize money straight off plus TV and gate receipts and of course the prospect of a big team tie that could transform the finances in the 3rd round. Fine can bring on Gumbs, Williams etc. if we are 3 up with 30 to go but I am sure MM will be treating this game very very seriously as Oxford will be up for their cup final!

MESSAGES->author

07 November, 2018 14:40
Win 1st round 36k
Win 2nd round 54k
Win 3rd round 135k

Surely thats got to be taken seriously

MESSAGES->author

07 November, 2018 14:43
Quote:
Uptonrover
Wouldnt take anything for granted, can still get bloody Peterborough if we get through! But we are so overdue a massive Premier League team fixture. Have always wanted Man Utd away, never in my time following Rovers had the opportunity to see that

Hopefully Bromley can cause upset and dump Posh out of FA Cup. Plastic pitch at Bromley isnt it?

Steve45
Steve45 (IP Logged)

07 November, 2018 17:57
I agree that we have to play our first eleven. This isnt the Checkatrade, its the FA Cup and we want to go as far as possible.

windsorexile
windsorexile (IP Logged)

07 November, 2018 19:11
Really interesting one this; so much of success in sport is about momentum and for many reasons I never like to see in form players rested (Remember Chester away a couple of seasons ago- rested Nors and Cook in the league and then had to pull them off the bench to rescue the result) . Beyond this though in the cold light there are more compelling financial imperatives. The lowest full price adult season ticket at Prenton Park is £289, if we progressed to the situation where we won a third round tie (not beyond wit that we could do this) then the prize fund alone acquired for this modest progress would be £225,000 (and that’s without gate receipts). In context that’s the equivalent to around 780 extra season tickets- if in the close season we'd have added that amount in addition to those we sold we'd have been delighted, it would be the equivalent of an average gate nearing 7k. What this would mean in terms of additional playing budget is significant. The average wage in L2 is rumoured to be around £1700 per week (or 88K ). The funds would allow 2 one year contacts at the going rate, or 4 loans/ short term deals until the end of the season, or.....(and this could be very significant to our future progression), the opportunity to restructure the wage bill so that we can retain Norwood on a wage closer to a league 1 average. SO.... this has been a very long winded response to a very simple question; yes we should field a full strength team in the FA cup, not just because its the best cup comp on the planet but because it makes pragmatic financial sense for us to progress even if we don’t get a massive club in round 3 the prize money alone could help us secure our aims as a club.

paulbyron
paulbyron (IP Logged)

07 November, 2018 19:52
excellent post rovers aren't in a position to treat this other than a route to maybe a financial windfall

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)

07 November, 2018 20:00
Resting players for a derby game away at Chester was always a crazy move. This is a slightly different case and we should beat them regardless. That said, I would play a side that was very close to my best 11, and would only consider leaving out those with slight niggles. Its the FA Cup and strange things happen. Hopefully not to us as we are due a decent run.

Uptonrover
Uptonrover (IP Logged)

07 November, 2018 21:06
I think maybe Steve will get rested for Ellis or Sutton to get some minutes.
Zoom will probably start
Harris in for McCullough if Doncaster dont allow him to play
Id probably bench Norwood for Akammadu to start with Mullin.
Depending on what clubs allow our loan players to play will depend on who is on the bench but thats all the changes id make

Prenton Pirate
Prenton Pirate (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 01:08
Play you're strongest team. Didn't they beat Coventry last season & took another League team to a replay? I don't agree with resting players. Try to do you're best in every competition.

EBAWB
EBAWB (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 03:14
We rested players in the Checkatrade. This is THE FA CUP. We don't need to rest any players. Get the first 11 on the pitch and maximise our chance to make some cash. This is a no brainier in my opinion!

Every ball's a white ball

coltran
coltran (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 09:17
This game should be treated like a league game. We should start with our strongest team and if we are winning by at least 3 goals by half-time, that would be the time to make changes. If we treat this game like a pre-season family as we have in the Checkatrade and League Cup and as a result happen to lose, then in my view the manager's position would become untenable. There is too much financially at stake to start taking risks.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 10:03
Full team out if we win keeps confidence and momentum high. the FA Cup is our only way to make money so must go for it

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 17:25
Micky has confirmed that as expected he will go with his strongest side.
Interestingly however, despite rumours that McCullough may join us permanently in January Doncaster have not allowed him to play so as not to be cup tied....

paulbyron
paulbyron (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 17:40
comments on Doncaster's forum when he signed said if he stayed fit he would be an asset maybe with having an injury free spell they may be having second thoughts still Gilmore or harris to cover

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 19:20
Quote:
Prenton Pirate
Play you're strongest team. Didn't they beat Coventry last season & took another League team to a replay? I don't agree with resting players. Try to do you're best in every competition.

Colchester?

Kentexile
Kentexile (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 21:47
No need to rest players, it's a week since we played and a week before the next game. Not like the other cups that slot in midweek. If we get a 2 or 3 goal lead we can sub players who need a break and give some fringe players some game time.

Claytonne&Clark
Claytonne&Clark (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 10:16
We need to play Norwood - he might look less attractive in January if cup-tied.

I never like resting players for games like this - it just means the players who are rested see a player strike a claim for their place and feel unsettled (Stockton's goal in a FA Trophy match cost Cook a place in the side); players who aren't rested don't feel as valued; players who come in can feel it's a pity selection; and players who don't come in even with a weakened side feel very unloved.

When it's a non-priority competition it can make sense. But dropping players for a game with lots of media coverage (and a chance to be shown on Match of the Day) probably does more unsettling than providing benefits.

I would treat this like any league match - what we don't need at this time of year is a midweek reply down south.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net