football
Latest News:

the baldy one
the baldy one (IP Logged)

tranmere rovers - best ever match
06 November, 2018 17:37
as we all know - in the past few days there have been quite a few new threads put on here mine included which have got@#$%&subject titles. but with tranmere not playing till next Saturday I thought I would start a proper debate - what is the best tranmere rovers match you have ever been to. at the moment I have got a few games at the top of my list- tranmere rovers 7 Peterborough united 0 1985 - ian muir got 4, tranmere 1 crewe 1 1989 - promotion match at prenton park, tranmere 2 Bristol rovers 1 1990 - cup final, tranmere 3 aston villa 1 1994 - league cup semi, tranmere 2 Tottenham 2 1989 league cup 4th round, tranmere 6 Cambridge 2 1985 - Worthington and clayton both got hatricks, tranmere 2 boreham wood 1 2018 - Wembley play off final, preston north end 3 tranmere rovers 4 1988 league cup 1st round. I might of missed a few but these stick in the mind.

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

Re: tranmere rovers - best ever match
06 November, 2018 17:42
Tranmere 4 Southampton 3. Best Cup come back ever.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

06 November, 2018 18:19
We play this weekend so ignored the rest sorry....

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

06 November, 2018 18:22
Quote:
aktrfc
very memorable game that 1 and many more but getting back in league at wembley for me . . .

warren r
Wozza (IP Logged)

06 November, 2018 18:44
Before beating borehamwood beating Bolton in the playoffs offs was my most memorable game the cup games are great but promotion trumps it all for me cups are bonus coming back from 3-1 down wolves or derby or both memories fading in the league to win 4-3 was memorable beating stoke 2-1 at home standing in the cowshed seeing people fighting in the kop was memorable for the wrong reasons definitely borehamwood for me I don’t think I’ll ever see a game with so much drama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2018 19:16 by Wozza.

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

06 November, 2018 18:52
For myself away from play-off and cup comebacks the most memorable game has to be the one played on a Friday night in front of 11,700+ gate on the wettest night you could wish for(not that we wanted weather like that a dry night might have put other thousand+ on the gate).

Not sure but I think it was on TV as well.

The opposition that night was West Ham pushing around the top of the league(Championship now)as we were.

So it was all set winner that night if I remember would go top or second in the league , who would win this game that night every thing was set PP was bouncing out come was a 5-2 win for the SWA with Aldo getting three and Malkin/Irons getting the others.

This to me was Tranmere at our best that night we were on our trip to the Moon that night everything was just right that night just hope we can get there again.thumbs down

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2018 18:56 by BELMONT.

HardlyYardley
HardlyYardley (IP Logged)

06 November, 2018 19:30
One of my happiest games was seeing John Aldridge's debut for Rovers at Brighton. I'd thought (how wrong I was) he'd come back from Spain because he was either past it (maybe carrying injuries) or not really interested anymore. He was very sharp, scored twice and, given the other players Kingy was assembling, I realised that we really were going places.

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

06 November, 2018 19:40
Some great memories on this thread and iv been lucky enough to be at all them games

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

06 November, 2018 20:03
Despite Borehamwood drama I think the Southampton game was the best ever unbelievable drama the bedlam when the winner went in was unbelievable,though we are i suppose the word in journalistic parlance would be unfashionable, over the years we have had mad ,bad and unbelievable times and that is what gives us the history and why people love the club ,and the number of famous people who have played for us despite being a small club in a big pond

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

06 November, 2018 20:31
Morecambe away the other week was a bit special.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

06 November, 2018 20:47
Quote:
BELMONT
For myself away from play-off and cup comebacks the most memorable game has to be the one played on a Friday night in front of 11,700+ gate on the wettest night you could wish for(not that we wanted weather like that a dry night might have put other thousand+ on the gate).
Not sure but I think it was on TV as well.

The opposition that night was West Ham pushing around the top of the league(Championship now)as we were.

So it was all set winner that night if I remember would go top or second in the league , who would win this game that night every thing was set PP was bouncing out come was a 5-2 win for the SWA with Aldo getting three and Malkin/Irons getting the others.

This to me was Tranmere at our best that night we were on our trip to the Moon that night everything was just right that night just hope we can get there again.thumbs down

ah that was a great game. aldo dinked their keeper and wheeled away to celebrate and the ball barely got over the line the pitch was that bad.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

06 November, 2018 21:24
Has to be one of the three below

Rovers v Bolton play off final

Rovers v Boringwood play off final

Everton V Rovers FA cup win at Goodison

Award goes to Everton V Rovers, not only did we beat the chairman stealing blue nose wannabe Liverpool club we did it in their back yard on an FA Cup Saturday and hammered them should have been 5

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

06 November, 2018 22:05
Quote:
Higgosboots

Award goes to Everton V Rovers, not only did we beat the chairman stealing blue nose wannabe Liverpool club we did it in their back yard on an FA Cup Saturday and hammered them should have been 5
One I'd like to throw into the mix was I think a league cup game against Chelsea at PP, having drawn down there....in extra time, I remember we had a penalty in extra time and Aldo did a very minor version of his shuffle, but it was enough to send Dennis Wise into a sh!tfit.

paulbyron
paulbyron (IP Logged)

06 November, 2018 22:07
Tranmere 4 Bradford city 5 didn,t realise windass was that good one of the best free kicks from summerbee I,ve ever seen 4-2 down brought it back level then wetherall scores from a corner,if we had scored I,m sure they would have still won, one of those games

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

07 November, 2018 00:33
Some great ones on here but two will never be surpassed for me - thumping Bolton in the League Cup semi at PP (best home atmosphere I can remember and we just blew them away. Great to stick it up them, of all teams, and exorcise the bad memories of Villa Park too) and the trouncing we gave Everton (still dining out on that one with my Bluenose chums!)

MrMac
MrMac (IP Logged)

07 November, 2018 08:09
My memory is awful but first season up, Pat Nevin had just joined, and I was living in London and saw the beat Millwall 3-0 (I think). Remains the best performance I have seen by a Rovers side. They could have beaten any side on the planet that night. Millwall fans didn't take it well !!

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

07 November, 2018 08:21
millwall in the league cup, also [89?]

think they were top of the top division at the time and had a great team in retrospect. teddy sheringham and cascarino up front, jimmy carter [who would play his way into a move to liverpool that season] on the wing and we were treated to the improbable match up of eddie bishop v terry horlock in midfield

bishop and horlock both scored and i think mccarrick got the winner for us.

we then played tottenham. the pleasure of seeing gazza sore at the cowshed end. lineker being marked by dave higgins [if you ever run into dave higgins, ask him about gazza he has some boss stories of sharing a pitch with him]. all the home games 89/90 were superb. the pinnacle of the era of prenton park night time football - a LOT of our games were night games. away kits looked great under the lights back then - all deep yellows, reds and green. sounds funny, but it just brings back great memories.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2018 08:22 by mrGr33n13.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

07 November, 2018 09:18
It is going back a long time but a 1-1 home draw against a star studded Spurs with Iceton hitting a last minute 60 yard shot that bounced off the crossbar.
Memorable because in those days stars where not over exposed through TV so seeing them live had a glamour that is absent from such figures today

07 November, 2018 11:26
Yeah some great games mentioned there - esp the 5-2 against the hammers. Remember that game was quite tight at 3-2 'til the last few minutes when Aldo completed his hat trick and (I think it was Kenny) got the 5th. PP was bouncing.
But another game that sticks in the memory was v Portsmouth in the Ivano Bonetti season. Branch scored twice, they got back to 2-2, then 3-3 and in injury time Ivano popped up and scored the winner 4-3. Another memorable Friday night game. That phuqqer with the bell was tinkling away in the Cowshed, but it went quiet at the end!

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

07 November, 2018 11:37
haha love how its referred to as the ivano bonnetti season

he destroyed us the season before when he was at grimsby; was one of the best individual performances i've seen by an away player at PP [i think lee bowyer running the game as a 17 year old for charlton, and hoddle doing the same as a sweeper are two others that really stand out]

bonetti signing for us had me like a kid at christmas excited. was the portsmouth game televised, have a vague recollection of sprinting to the Prenton to see the replays of the goals, but i could be wrong.

Claytonne&Clark
Claytonne&Clark (IP Logged)

07 November, 2018 12:18
I'm amazed Tranmere 1 Exeter 0 hasn't been mentioned.

Prior to that game, my dad was the only person I knew who had been to a Tranmere game. We got over 5 times our normal gate to see us stay in the league, and not only did most of my school friends go, so did their parents who enjoyed talking to me about the game. It was the first time I had someone, other than my dad, to talk about a game with - and saw all my friends show an interest in the club for the first time (and many game to many other games over the years).

Had we lost that game I doubt Tranmere would have continued to exist. It would be nice to think that Kingy would have stayed, and PJ would have seen the vision, especially as much of our success was built around players from the non-league game. But it might well have been when Tranmere was seen as a lost hope and we'd have gone the way of Aldershot. Other clubs have come back from extinction and fought through the leagues, but given there were supermarkets and property developers desperate for the ground, who knows what would have happened to Prenton Park.

That game had perhaps a greater significance to our history, and future, than the Borenham Wood game even if it had the same outcome - I would always put that top (just shading Goodison).

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

07 November, 2018 12:38
Quote:
Cybertron
Quote:
Higgosboots

One I'd like to throw into the mix was I think a league cup game against Chelsea at PP, having drawn down there....in extra time, I remember we had a penalty in extra time and Aldo did a very minor version of his shuffle, but it was enough to send Dennis Wise into a sh!tfit.

I don’t remember us playing Chelsea, I should do (Sm54)

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

07 November, 2018 12:48
Quote:
Loyden1
Quote:
aktrfc
very memorable game that 1 and many more but getting back in league at wembley for me . . .

+1

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

07 November, 2018 13:10
If we are talking about matches that were memorable for excitement and entertainment then there were a few from the 91/92 season.

Zenith vs Newcastle 6-6
League vs Wolves 4-3
League vs Derby 4-3

The games vs Wolves and Derby were both entertaining games and from what I can remember were both ding dong affairs..Wolves n Derby brought lots of fans on the old open away end and it made for a good atmosphere, and of course Rovers were victors in those games.

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

07 November, 2018 13:24
Quote:
hong kong rover
If we are talking about matches that were memorable for excitement and entertainment then there were a few from the 91/92 season.
Zenith vs Newcastle 6-6
League vs Wolves 4-3
League vs Derby 4-3

The games vs Wolves and Derby were both entertaining games and from what I can remember were both ding dong affairs..Wolves n Derby brought lots of fans on the old open away end and it made for a good atmosphere, and of course Rovers were victors in those games.
My daughter was the mascot for the Newcastle match. It was a cracking game.But the one that will always stand out is our Wembley win this year.It meant so much to us all!

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)

07 November, 2018 13:42
Another thread that pops up every so often. All great options mentioned so far. I'd add the 3-0 demolition of high flying Wolves and the Mercantile games at Wembley, but the best one not mentioned so far is 3-2 against Grimsby. Penultimate home game of the season and chasing promotion. 2-0 down after not very long but great atmosphere and you knew we would come back. It's when you truly believed in the trip to the moon.

Brenk
Brenk (IP Logged)

07 November, 2018 13:47
January 1963, third round of the FA Cup. Drew 2-2 with Tommy Docherty's Chelsea. My first ever game watching Tranmere and to cap it all we were only one of three games played that Saturday due to the snow. Because of that, even got to watch the replay highlights on Match of the Day!! Magic- and it's on Youtube.

warren r
Wozza (IP Logged)

07 November, 2018 15:41
Quote:
hong kong rover
Zenith vs Newcastle 6-6
League vs Wolves 4-3
League vs Derby 4-3

i mentioned the derby and wolves games yes both bought a great following loads in the kop and in the main stand cowshed end sure we went 1-3 in both games Southend at home 3-1 when the tank scored after about 15 seconds was also memorable so so many games

martyd12
martyd12 (IP Logged)

07 November, 2018 16:03
No-one has mentioned the 1968 cup run! the match against a Frank Worthington inspired Huddersfield with Graham Williams's wondrous strike in the last 5 minutes to win the game and then the 2 games against Coventry with the late equaliser by Alan King at Highfield Road and then the drubbing we gave them in the replay with goals from Yardley and Hudson. That night we knew we would go to Goodison and seriously believed that with Yardley in the side we would win and go on to win the Cup!!

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

07 November, 2018 20:41
Quote:
Brenk
January 1963, third round of the FA Cup. Drew 2-2 with Tommy Docherty's Chelsea. My first ever game watching Tranmere and to cap it all we were only one of three games played that Saturday due to the snow. Because of that, even got to watch the replay highlights on Match of the Day!! Magic- and it's on Youtube.
you might get a fleeting glimpse of a boy laying in the snow above home dugout. . . Me

Prenton Pirate
Prenton Pirate (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 00:53
Every games a special game! Where else would you want to be? Some great memories come flooding back just reading this thread. Goodison, Wembley (Boringwood & Bolton) would all be up there. Also seeing Rovers lift my first trophy v Bristol R will always be special. I'll also throw in the 5-1 v Coventry in the League Cup ( Premier LGE then ). Any Friday night game in Kingy's era was memorable but West Ham was especially so.

Claytonne&Clark

08 November, 2018 11:22
If it was reduced to best half, rather than best match I would go for;

Tranmere 5 Coventry 0 (5-1 on aggregate) - that was some performance on the Wembley League Cup run where we absolutely destroyed a Premiership team. I'm sure it was 1-0 at half-time, but could be wrong. But I remember coming away thinking we never put a single foot wrong in the second half

Tranmere 3 Sunderland 0 (4-1 on aggregate) - This was the game where Johnny Morrisey came off the bench at half-time on his return from injury. Kenworthy had done well during his run in team, but after a lackluster first-half the Nevin-Morrisey combination was reunited and they absolutely destroyed Sunderland. It was just a festival of fantastic wing play and the poor Sunderland fullbacks really didn't know what had hit them.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 22:57
I think if I recall correctly it was the latter match you refer to that had Peter Reid geting antsy, because Tranmere made a sub and brought on Stephen Frail, but Reid claimed that Frail shouldn't be coming on as the player being subbed hadn't left the pitch and was accusing Tranmere of trying to get away with playing 12 players and Frail looked bemused speaking to an official, because he thought he had every right to have been brought on.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 23:47
Quote:
Matt34
I think if I recall correctly it was the latter match you refer to that had Peter Reid geting antsy, because Tranmere made a sub and brought on Stephen Frail, but Reid claimed that Frail shouldn't be coming on as the player being subbed hadn't left the pitch and was accusing Tranmere of trying to get away with playing 12 players and Frail looked bemused speaking to an official, because he thought he had every right to have been brought on.
won that day 1.0 Sunderland fans where going apes hit !

MESSAGES->author

09 November, 2018 07:37
Wasn't that an FA Cup tie, the wrong sub thing. Reid's Sunderland team had romped D1 the year before but we beat them here that year as well. We were brilliant that day, but you could see how good they were and are one of the best teams I can recall seeing play at PP.

Claytonne&Clark

09 November, 2018 10:09
The Morrisey and Nevin game against Sunderland was in the league around 1992. The FA Cup game was around 1999.

The later Sunderland teams are probably amongst the best we've beaten, but the best side I've seen at Prenton Park where the Fulham side who ran away with the league and battered us 4-0. Despite taking a hammering, there was a lot of comfort in seeing a team put in a performance like that.

MESSAGES->author
Rizla (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 10:56
Quote:
Claytonne&Clark
The Morrisey and Nevin game against Sunderland was in the league around 1992. The FA Cup game was around 1999.
The later Sunderland teams are probably amongst the best we've beaten, but the best side I've seen at Prenton Park where the Fulham side who ran away with the league and battered us 4-0. Despite taking a hammering, there was a lot of comfort in seeing a team put in a performance like that.

I remember that Fulham match and seem to recall the SWA clapping them off the pitch.

Kentexile
Kentexile (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 11:29
Most intense emotionally were the two where the most were at stake: the Exeter gane for survival and Borehamwood.
Exeter - it really felt like Tranmere would fold if we went down (it was the first ever season of direct relegation; these days we take it for granted that clubs can bounce up and down between EFL and Conference).
Borehamwood - I think a fourth season in non-league would have had dire consequences on the sustainability of the club. Attendances would have dropped, we would have lost a lot more player and I think we would have found it hard to be up challenging for promotion again.

For sheer enjoyment, Everton away 3-0 but we had nothing to lose in that game and no expectations.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 17:23
I have been lucky and seen nearly all the games mentioned even the one were Lloyd Iceton hit the bar /post just before final whistle 1-1 v Tottenham about 1952 got battererd 9-1 in the replay ,but my choice was the Everton 3-0 away cup game and the Southampton come back game all the others were brilliant .the 4-5 Bradford game I am sure it was Dean Windas who scored their winner

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 22:06
Deffo the Grimsby match in 88 for me as mentioned earlier.... although Gateshead home was pretty good last year

Hampshire White
Hampshire White (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 22:45
I'm nearly 60, I cried at Wembley when we bear Bolton in the play offs, and again when we won at Wembley this year. I watched the Southampton game in my local Hampshire pub. I got so drunk on drinks brought for me by my Southampton supporting friends, I should never have driven the next day 🍻

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

10 November, 2018 01:03
not the best game but winning 1-0 at Leyton Orient on my birthday after donkeys' years of never winning there is something that i will remember for a long time. but certainly
not the capitulation after christmas!

cobas
cobas (IP Logged)

10 November, 2018 10:08
great memories, and maybe add our 5-1 win at wrexham

martyd12
martyd12 (IP Logged)

10 November, 2018 12:45
What about the Arsenal match winning 1-0 at Highbury. We had lost at home to Halifax on the Friday night and no-one gave us a prayer! We remain the only team to have a 100% record at Highbury. I still have the programme signed by the match referee. I happened to catch the same train back to Leicester with him after he saved me from being beaten up by a mob of angry Arsenal supporters who saw me with my Rovers rosette!
No one believed we had won when I got back to Halls of Residence!!

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

10 November, 2018 14:12
I think we are the only UK team to have a 100% record at Highbury. There has been an obscure euro team that knicked a win there in their only game

Yardleys Cat
Yardleys Cat (IP Logged)

10 November, 2018 19:23
Quote:
Matt34

From memory, Frail was waiting to come on a sub when Clint Hill was sent off. In the confusion that followed, Frail came on but no one else came off. Rovers should have been down to ten men with the sending off but continued with eleven men for several minutes until the ref realised what had happened.

MESSAGES->author
2 the moon (IP Logged)

10 November, 2018 20:01
Some fantastic memories, some seem so long ago now. That 7-0 v Peterborough was a rearranged game after the first was abandoned due to floodlight failure, i think we were losing.
50p to get in, and winning 7-0 was unbelievable because we were pants then

MESSAGES->author

12 November, 2018 09:57
Quote:
Yardleys Cat
Quote:
Matt34

From memory, Frail was waiting to come on a sub when Clint Hill was sent off. In the confusion that followed, Frail came on but no one else came off. Rovers should have been down to ten men with the sending off but continued with eleven men for several minutes until the ref realised what had happened.

Correct. We had 11 men on the pitch but should have had 10. The ref sent Hill off but the other officials were preparing for the substitution and didn't notice the red card so they just assumed that Hill was the player being subbed and allowed Frail on. Don't think it lasted several minutes though. We did nothing wrong as the substitution was in progress before the card was shown. It was all down to the officials getting it wrong. Mind you, we'd have moaned like hell if it had happened to us.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net