football
Latest News:

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

Most Underrated Signing
05 November, 2018 23:11
Just wondering who people think were permanent signings that came to Tranmere and dont' seem highly memorable and yet offered more than some people may think or recall. Players signed that were not poor but didn't necessarily stand out as game changing players, but potentially deserved more of a chance than they got.

One I think did quite well but was not given an opportunity to give more was Maxime Blanchard. From memory he could play in full back, central defense and midfield and was not necessarily given enough chance to impact, when it seemed like his contributions should have earned him more than the number of starts he got.

From what I know now, he played in Ireland latterly then gave up football a few years ago and worked for, or started some kind of web or media company.

Another player I feel was a bit underrated was Dave Raven. A fairly solid signing in defence, capable of playing in any defensive position, but allowed to leave whilst someone like Michael Kay remained.

Personally I thought it should have been Kay leaving and not Raven, as Kay ended up not long after that at Chester in the NL, but Raven signed for Inverness Caledionian Thistle and played some games in the SPL.

I can still recall one or two instances of him making last ditch tackles and for his versatility as well, he was surely one to keep, but I think it's possible Kay was kept instead of him, because Kay may have been a cheaper option on the wages and was not out of contract, which I think Raven was.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Kentexile
Kentexile (IP Logged)

Re: Most Underrated Signing
05 November, 2018 23:29
Ivano Bonetti. Looked very handy, then faded out

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

05 November, 2018 23:41
Shaun Teale. Great player but the Jonah that brought the end to Kingy's reign.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

06 November, 2018 07:44
Jim Steel, pivotal in building the foundations to John Kings success. Rarely gets a mention in dispatches but popped up with some vital goals, winner at Wembley against Bristol Rovers sinking Gerry Francis’ double attempt for example. Gelled really well with Muir providing him with many assists for many of his goals.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

06 November, 2018 07:55
Quote:
Higgosboots
Jim Steel, pivotal in building the foundations to John Kings success. Rarely gets a mention in dispatches but popped up with some vital goals, winner at Wembley against Bristol Rovers sinking Gerry Francis’ double attempt for example. Gelled really well with Muir providing him with many assists for many of his goals.

+1 Big Jim was important to the Rovers. He didnt seem to get as much credit as other players in that team (s).. I was always a big fan of Steely. He wasnt just a big old striker with the knock downs for Muiry, he was quite handy on the deck too and played some nice one-twos and assists with Muir in and around the box. He was a great header too.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2018 09:18 by hong kong rover.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

06 November, 2018 08:43
I would liken jim steel to big old john toshack at liverpool. Both powerful strikers and both connected well with a quality player around them. Steely had Muiry, Toshack had Keegan.

martyd12
martyd12 (IP Logged)

06 November, 2018 08:51
Hi Matt

I assume you mean Michael Kay not Anthony Kay who was a very good player indeed and who as far as I know is still playing

martyd12
martyd12 (IP Logged)

06 November, 2018 08:53
Sorry Matt

crossed wires!

Uptonrover
Uptonrover (IP Logged)

06 November, 2018 11:56
I loved Jim Steel. Always remember my sister going missing (as she frequently did) and my mum calling the police. Next thing Big Jim was sat in our living room and i was star struck and asked for an autograph as my sobbing mum was giving my sisters description. She turned up an hour or so later... never got that autograph

Kentexile
Kentexile (IP Logged)

06 November, 2018 14:30
Quote:
Uptonrover
I loved Jim Steel. Always remember my sister going missing (as she frequently did) and my mum calling the police. Next thing Big Jim was sat in our living room and i was star struck and asked for an autograph as my sobbing mum was giving my sisters description. She turned up an hour or so later... never got that autograph

Cool story! Jim Steel is a legend. And we nicked him from Wrexham!

paulbyron
paulbyron (IP Logged)

06 November, 2018 14:44
sean Connolly was a great full-back became a physio if I remember right

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

06 November, 2018 17:51
Steel was a very good player.He scored a stunner against Chester when they played at Macc.

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

06 November, 2018 18:34
See big Jim, but he doesn’t seem that big now in home bargains on a Sunday morning in Prenton most weeks. Not sure where he lives, but I believe he was a Sargent copper in north Wales.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

07 November, 2018 09:42
Ken Finney utterly reliable totally committed every game yet rarely remembered even by older supporters

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

07 November, 2018 12:53
Quote:
DevonExile
Ken Finney utterly reliable totally committed every game yet rarely remembered even by older supporters

Yes. He hit the bar/post in the last minute in the famous 2-2 FA Cup draw in 1963 with Chelsea when it was easier to score. Good player for us though.

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)

07 November, 2018 13:36
McNabb. He came in for a lot of flak at the time for not being Eddie Bishop, but he was the rock that allowed Harvey and the full backs free reign. Under appreciated at the time but not in hindsight, much like Big Jim.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 08:06
Liam O’Brien. Quality midfielder but over shadowed by Nevin and Morrisey at the time.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 09:47
mr tommy coyne.

he came to tranmere as a record signing from celtic. he was highly rated - celtic had bought him from dundee where he had topped the scoring charts and finished 3rd in the eurpopean golden boot. his fee was 500k which would be around 15-18 million in terms of football inflation. he topped the scoring chartts again at celtic and averaged a goal every other game for them over the next 3 years. he was an international for the republic of ireland and cost tranmere a record fee of 400k [again a large amount back then - circa £9m in todays fees]

under 6ft tall, a ball playing international forward with a rich goal scoring pedigree he was shaping to be the perfect foil for aldridge.

and a nevin, moggsy, aldo, coyne forward line was a ridiculous prospect for a club of our size.

tommy only played 12 games for us. his wife took her own life not long after moving to us, with tommy finding her at their home in heswall. he was, of course, allowed to return to scotland for a small fee.

he subsequently had a great spell at motherwell, again topping the scot prem charts [one of only 3 players to do so with three clubs] and they finished second to rangers in his first season there.

martyd12
martyd12 (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 12:19
Tommy Coyne's 2 sons play or have played League football in Scotland.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 23:01
I seem to recall Coyne going back up north, because one of his family, possibly a sister if he had one, was quite ill and he felt he needed to be closer to them so he could help out more if required.

I may be being a bit hazy on that though.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 23:30
Tbh I remembered it as his wife being ill, but googling it she commited suicide pre season 93, and it was he that found her. We cancelled pre season friendlies and he left not long after that.

[www.heraldscotland.com]

Both could be true, in any case it was completely understandable him needing to go home, and the club took on a financial loss to help him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2018 23:33 by mrGr33n13.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 21:37
One thing I found puzzling about the article, was the newspaper referencing previous clubs he had played for, as if putting his grief in a sporting context might make readers feel more empathetic towards him.

Anyone at the time who supported the clubs he played for would have known who he was and anyone who didn't support those clubs and were not aware of him, could easily treat the story as just a tragic incident that affected someone.

Referencing that he'd played for Clydebank and Celtic seems totally extraneous.

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 22:03
Alex Chamberlain on loan, helped get us to Wembley

Claytonne&Clark
Claytonne&Clark (IP Logged)

12 November, 2018 11:46
Quote:
Matt34
One thing I found puzzling about the article, was the newspaper referencing previous clubs he had played for, as if putting his grief in a sporting context might make readers feel more empathetic towards him.

The Herald is a Glasgow paper - it pretends to be Scotland-wide, but is read by Glaswegians Scotland-wide.

So it's referencing the fact he's played for two teams within their area - it would seem strange to us if the Echo ran a story about an ex-Tranmere and ex-Liverpool player without mentioning both former clubs.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

12 November, 2018 13:53
Quote:
Matt34
as if putting his grief in a sporting context might make readers feel more empathetic towards him.
Referencing that he'd played for Clydebank and Celtic seems totally extraneous.

Well the fact that his story was featured at all is a sign that his sporting history does make us more empathetic towards him.

Unless he was a footballer they wouldn't have featured his story and if they did the focus would have been on the wife and not the husband.

His clubs aren't extraneous they are substantive to it being news and him the focal point of the story

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net