football
Latest News:

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

Worst ever Rovers player
05 November, 2018 21:18
Who do you think has been Rovers worst ever player as in most hopeless as opposed least impact.

I can’t really think of a terrible one myself.

ChloesDad
ChloesDad (IP Logged)

Re: Worst ever Rovers player
05 November, 2018 21:21
That Goalie we had from Liverpool a few years back, seem to recall he punched one into his own net in one game.

paulbyron
paulbyron (IP Logged)

05 November, 2018 21:23
Kevin gray

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

05 November, 2018 21:48
Just looking through Micky Adams loanees....

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

05 November, 2018 21:52
Goalkeeper Eric McManus was pretty dire, he only played about half a dozen games for Rovers though.. As for outfield players, there were a couple of old duds that Frank Worthington brought to the club that weren't very good and were brought in at the end of their careers, Billy Ashcroft and Ray Train. I don't really think Frank got them in necessarily for their footballing skills and experience, but more for the fact that they were good old drinking buddies of his, lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2018 22:02 by hong kong rover.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

05 November, 2018 22:44
Guy Madjo.

martyd12
martyd12 (IP Logged)

05 November, 2018 22:53
Going back further I always wondered what Ray Pointon offered to the side!!And who remembers now Frank D'Arcy?

MESSAGES->author
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

05 November, 2018 22:56
This is a sh1te thread.

Most of them tried their best but just weren't good enough, like you or me.

Please close it sooner rather than later.

But for the grace of God i could have been quoted on here.

There is no point in this thread and will only result in someone feeling sh1te. Just close it now.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

05 November, 2018 22:58
I don't ercall Liam darville being anything great and a few years ago he ended up playing with his brother in the North East Counties league.

However Anthony Cathalina was a dud who made a poor impact and got binned early in his first season after injury concerns in the latter part of teh season stopped him from playing and continuing to make a limited impact.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

jim rockford
jim rockford (IP Logged)

05 November, 2018 22:58
Quote:
ChloesDad
That Goalie we had from Liverpool a few years back, seem to recall he punched one into his own net in one game.

Actually apart from the OG played very well for us Peter Gulasci was his name currently first choice for RB Leipsig in the Bundesliga.Now if your talking about Liverpool loanees who stunk the joint out i give you Godwin Antwi.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2018 22:59 by jim rockford.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

05 November, 2018 23:25
Do you know I dont remember any of the above I can’t remember any really dire ones .i spent most of the 70s trucking in Ireland and Europe so only turned up when possible so might have missed the ones mentioned the 70s was a poor time for the club in General

the baldy one
the baldy one (IP Logged)

06 November, 2018 09:13
it is perfectly obvious that every single tranmere rovers fan will say something different to the other one. some might say these players were duds and some may say that those players were duds. that is the joy of being a football fan were everyone can be different. for example- if tranmere signed a stiker to score goals and he stuggled - you may say he was terrible but that is not always true. I can remember going back about 10 to 15 years, we signed a goalie on loan phil whitehead and twice in 7 days we lost 1-6, firstly to Southampton and then to Mansfield town. but you cannot blame the keeper for all 12 goals. so in a way I think it is wrong to single out players. I would even turn the question completely on its head - we have had loads of players who have been far to good to play for us but have stayed out of loyalty. for example - eric Nixon, pat nevin, john Aldridge, ian muir, johnny Morrissey, could all of left but stayed to become legends.

mill park white
mill park white (IP Logged)

06 November, 2018 09:28
Quote:
Yiggsy
This is a sh1te thread.

There is no point in this thread and will only result in some9 one feeling sh1te. Just close it now.

Agree with Yigsy. Serves no purpose this thread, just unpleasantness.

MESSAGES->author
2 the moon (IP Logged)

06 November, 2018 10:01
Quote:
the baldy one
we have had loads of players who have been far to good to play for us but have stayed out of loyalty. for example - eric Nixon, pat nevin, john Aldridge, ian muir, johnny Morrissey, could all of left but stayed to become legends.
That's not entirely accurate. I doubt any of them stayed out of loyalty, Muir and Morrissey both had big moves away fall through probably due to the fact we weren't desperate for the cash but both would of gone if we'd of let them. Aldo was 32 when he came here so by the time his contract was up his options would of been limited and he was settled locally to finish his career. And again we weren't desperate for the cash

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2018 10:04 by 2 the moon.

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

06 November, 2018 11:19
Nothing to choose between Godwin Antwi and George Donnelly.

Uptonrover
Uptonrover (IP Logged)

06 November, 2018 11:52
Steve @#$%& wilson

the baldy one

06 November, 2018 12:06
2 the moon- I am afraid you are completely wrong about john Aldridge. he may of been 31, but after scoring 40 goals in his first season, everton put a bid in for him and he stayed at tranmere out of loyalty. and I know for a fact eric Nixon could of left, plus pat nevin but these players wanted to play for tranmere rovers.

Claytonne&Clark
Claytonne&Clark (IP Logged)

06 November, 2018 13:01
Quote:
Yiggsy
This is a sh1te thread.

There is no point in this thread and will only result in someone feeling sh1te. Just close it now.

I agree with this. There's enough people on the internet being negative about our players (and former players) - does a Tranmere fan have to add to that?

Kentexile
Kentexile (IP Logged)

06 November, 2018 14:21
Quote:
Yiggsy
This is a sh1te thread.

+1 If someone wanted to be a trfc player and it didn't work out for one reason or another why rake it up

MESSAGES->author
2 the moon (IP Logged)

06 November, 2018 14:28
Quote:
the baldy one
2 the moon- I am afraid you are completely wrong about john Aldridge. he may of been 31, but after scoring 40 goals in his first season, everton put a bid in for him and he stayed at tranmere out of loyalty. and I know for a fact eric Nixon could of left, plus pat nevin but these players wanted to play for tranmere rovers.
well certainly not wrong sbout Muir and Morrissey. I not sure Aldo would of moved to Everton with being such a huge red. Villa did show interest but we said no.

MESSAGES->author
sparky100 (IP Logged)

06 November, 2018 14:34
What the hell is this thread about! Utter nonsense, every player who pulled on the shirt wants to impress,
unfortunately not all meet the required standard. They certainly don't need castigating by our own supporters! Get a grip and if theirs nothing positive or mildly amusing to post don't bother.

the baldy one

06 November, 2018 15:03
2 the moon - thanks for your reply. that is exactly what I am saying about john Aldridge. when everton asked for him- he basically said that because he was a Liverpool legend and had only been at tranmere for 1 year he turned them down. it was around the same time when everton were losing Graeme sharp and wanted someone to replace him. the story goes, that john king wanted to buy Graeme sharp to play up front with aldo but sharp signed for Oldham athletic instead because at the time they were in the premier league. everton got worried tried to sign aldo and he said no thanks.

corpac
corpac (IP Logged)

06 November, 2018 16:43
Quote:
Yiggsy
This is a sh1te thread.

Totally agree.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

06 November, 2018 16:47
Quote:
sparky100
What the hell is this thread about! Utter nonsense, every player who pulled on the shirt wants to impress,
unfortunately not all meet the required standard. They certainly don't need castigating by our own supporters! Get a grip and if theirs nothing positive or mildly amusing to post don't bother.

Cool your jets, there are such things as @#$%& players and every club has them

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

06 November, 2018 17:44
They are all gods gift and walk on water

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

06 November, 2018 17:46
Quote:
aktrfc
They are all gods gift and walk on water

Except Guy Madjo who was so bad that there was no way he could be called a professional footballer-an insult to everybody else.

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)

06 November, 2018 17:56
Jeez, when did this forum become so sensitive? We've had a thread on this topic several times before. It's never drawn this sort of criticism. My personal useless waste of space award goes to Doogie Anderson... just like it did last time.

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

06 November, 2018 18:17
Dougie anderson born in Hong Kong died early at51. Actually scored some goals if my memory is right

MESSAGES->author
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

06 November, 2018 20:56
Quote:
Doogie'sGhost
Jeez, when did this forum become so sensitive? We've had a thread on this topic several times before. It's never drawn this sort of criticism. My personal useless waste of space award goes to Doogie Anderson... just like it did last time.

Quote:
Loyden1
Dougie anderson born in Hong Kong died early at51. Actually scored some goals if my memory is right

Oh the irony given the first poster's Username.... why don't you apply to get your summation of his time here carved on his gravestone?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2018 20:58 by Yiggsy.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

07 November, 2018 09:12
Fiftyyears aRovers and others might remember Lorenson.An ungainly old style centre half.Nothing wrong with his effort but painfully slow and always had his knee strapped.A left footer but like watching a oil tanker turn.He came from Halifax and I think we actually paid a fee for him

MESSAGES->author

07 November, 2018 09:19
Yes the Doogie in my user name does refer to Anderson. I had it while he was with us too and in the two or three earlier user names that I forgot the logins for as well. I don't see any reason to change it just because he happened to die. But then I am a heartless, unsympathetic @#$%&. He was the most annoying player I've ever seen in a Rovers shirt. Had some ability but no heart whatsoever and seemed to think that one piece of skill every few games followed by a load of dross was enough. He was also voted Plymouth's worst ever player I believe. As you may have also guessed I don't go in for the don't speak ill of the dead thing either, I find it hypocritical in the extreme if I'm honest. If it offends you, sorry... well no I'm not really.

MESSAGES->author

07 November, 2018 09:19
Deleted. Double post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2018 09:21 by Doogie'sGhost.

MESSAGES->author

07 November, 2018 12:49
Quote:
Doogie'sGhost

+1

Yardleys Cat
Yardleys Cat (IP Logged)

07 November, 2018 19:52
Roy Lorenson if I’m not mistaken. A centre half built like Chris Malkin. Finished up as player/manager of New Brighton I think. Reckon if he was playing now somewhere like Fylde or Wrexham would be his level.

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

07 November, 2018 19:57
Donervan Daniels .

Yardleys Cat
Yardleys Cat (IP Logged)

07 November, 2018 20:23
Quote:
Yardleys Cat
Roy Lorenson if I’m not mistaken. A centre half built like Chris Malkin. Finished up as player/manager of New Brighton I think. Reckon if he was playing now somewhere like Fylde or Wrexham would be his level.

Not implying Roy Lorenson was our worst player, he wasn’t by a long shot. Just responding to Devon’s post. In fairness Roy was past his best days when he came to us and did ok bearing in mind his age and previous injury record.

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

07 November, 2018 20:36
Quote:
Yardleys Cat
Quote:
Yardleys Cat

Not implying Roy Lorenson was our worst player, he wasn’t by a long shot. Just responding to Devon’s post. In fairness Roy was past his best days when he came to us and did ok bearing in mind his age and previous injury record.
didn't he become trainer ?

warren r
Wozza (IP Logged)

07 November, 2018 21:28
Definitely Kevin cooper headless chicken but he put the white shirt on so I’m wrong he’s a legend

Prenton Pirate
Prenton Pirate (IP Logged)

08 November, 2018 00:35
A guy called Miller, who was son of assistant to Worthington or Sheamus Heath. There was a keeper who had an absolute mare v Wigan in an area final of the Freight Rover, I don't recall his name. It was his only game.

Kentexile
Kentexile (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 10:30
Quote:
Prenton Pirate
A guy called Miller, who was son of assistant to Worthington or Sheamus Heath. There was a keeper who had an absolute mare v Wigan in an area final of the Freight Rover, I don't recall his name. It was his only game.

Darrell Grierson if we're talking about the same game (lost 4-3 at home, 86-87 season) though I don't remember it being an area final (maybe it was?). He did have a shocker but to be fair to him he was only a young lad, still a teenager I think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2018 10:30 by Kentexile.

goosed
goosed (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 11:22
Ricketts fat a r s e

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

09 November, 2018 14:24
I remember a dreadful full back called pike in the late 80s, cannot remember a lot about about him

MESSAGES->author

09 November, 2018 15:09
Quote:
the kav
I remember a dreadful full back called pike in the late 80s, cannot remember a lot about about him

Vot is your name? Don't tell him Pike!

Martin Pike, he only played a handful of games. He played in the 2-2 vs Spurs at Prenton in the League Cup with Gazza n Lineker featuring. We had him on loan for just a few games from Sheff Utd.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2018 15:16 by hong kong rover.

MESSAGES->author

09 November, 2018 15:23
Whistle while you work, Hitler is a twerp, he's half-barmy so's his army, whistle while you work.

I don't want soggy chips.

All time classic comedy..They don't make comedy like that anymore, Dads Army, Porridge, Rising Damp, Steptoe n Son..Steptoe n Son was superb, brilliant acting, great writing. Will never forget that episode of Steptoe n Son called 'Men of Letters' they are playing scrabble, and for about 3 or 4 seconds the camera zooms in on the scrabble board, every word they've put down is a swear word, lol.. classic.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2018 16:06 by hong kong rover.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net