football
Latest News:
 

the baldy one
the baldy one (IP Logged)

james norwood v jayden stockley
31 October, 2018 13:14
as we all know - after leaving the checkatrade trophy behind fo another season, it is now back to the serious stuff and a blockbuster top of the table clash with Exeter city at prenton park. that means as it stands, the 2 top goalscorers in league 2 - james norwood with 10 and jayden stockley with 8. how I see it is if we can keep stockley quiet we will win the game. we should put big steve all over stockley and hope he gets frustrated and then nick 1 or 2 at the other end. I am actually a bit surprised how well Exeter have done so far, but hopefully on Saturday can be the start of their decline.

 
Owainsleftglove
Owainsleftglove (IP Logged)

Re: james norwood v jayden stockley
31 October, 2018 13:51
The Exeter forum is very negative about their chances...There not on a great run but a bit of me thinks a draw might still be a good result...it depends which Tranmere turns up I guess

 
MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

Re: james norwood v jayden stockley
31 October, 2018 14:41
Ryan Williams to come off the bench and score the only goal of the game in the 78th min in a 1-0 win for the Rovers..

1987

Tranmere Rovers 1-0 Exeter City ( Williams 78 ) Att 6,983


2018


Tranmere Rovers 1-0 Exeter City ( Williams 78 ) Att 6,983

 
aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

Re: james norwood v jayden stockley
31 October, 2018 19:42
Quote:
hong kong rover
Ryan Williams to come off the bench and score the only goal of the game in the 78th min in a 1-0 win for the Rovers..
1987

Tranmere Rovers 1-0 Exeter City ( Williams 78 ) Att 6,983


2018


Tranmere Rovers 1-0 Exeter City ( Williams 78 ) Att 6,983


I remember the night well and watched it the following day on saint and greavcy

 
Hampshire White
Hampshire White (IP Logged)

Re: james norwood v jayden stockley
31 October, 2018 21:57
Gary William's scored the goal. I was at RAF Brize Norton on shift, I rang the club every 10 minutes for an update. I remember the lady on the phone saying "I think we've just scored" Lincoln got relegated on the Saturday. The only time they where bottom of the league all season.

 
Kentexile
Kentexile (IP Logged)

Re: james norwood v jayden stockley
31 October, 2018 22:56
It was a great turn and cross from Ian Muir to put it on his head! Remember the game well. Exeter hit the bar early on, very nervy match even though Exeter hadn't won an away game all season. I think Burnley was the other club in the mix for relegation with us and Lincoln.

 
MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

Re: james norwood v jayden stockley
01 November, 2018 07:18
Quote:
Kentexile
It was a great turn and cross from Ian Muir to put it on his head! Remember the game well. Exeter hit the bar early on, very nervy match even though Exeter hadn't won an away game all season. I think Burnley was the other club in the mix for relegation with us and Lincoln.

And the dog biting incident at the Torquay v Crewe game..I was stood on a packed Borough Rd on the night of the Exeter game and once the final whistle had blown we all ran on the pitch. Probably one of the most important games in the entire history of the club..wouldnt happen nowadays though with all final games of the season having to kick off at the same time on the same day. Imagine if the exeter game had been played on the saturday with all the other games, we would have all been frantic with our transistor radios.



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2018 07:28 by hong kong rover.

 
the baldy one
the baldy one (IP Logged)

Re: james norwood v jayden stockley
01 November, 2018 07:47
yes- that game in 1987 v Exeter city were we had to win to stay in the league was amazing. I was in the cowsheds behind the goal were gary Williams scored - but what a cross by ian muir. sadly 2 players who played for tranmere rovers in this game have now passed away. goalkeeper billy chubby o Rourke and winger dougie Anderson. I thought dougie was a very skilful winger who on his day could win any game. if I am correct - after this Exeter game in 1987, dougie Anderson left tranmere to join our former top goalscorer john clayton at Plymouth argyle. talking about john clayton, I would have to put him in the top 5 best strikers to have played for us in the past 35 years. in his only season with us 1984-1985 he scored 36 goals which included I think 2 hatricks. he then played the first 4 games in 1985-1986 and got 4 goals then signed for Plymouth argyle. so to get 40 goals is amazing. I have no doubt whatsoever, if john clayton would of stayed at tranmere rovers for the same amount of years as ian muir - approx. 10 years, clayts would of become our record goalscorer. what a striker he was.

 
Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

Re: james norwood v jayden stockley
01 November, 2018 08:38
Yes baldy he was a brilliant finisher.great partnership Clarke and Clayton .and we had poor gates to witness them

 
the baldy one
the baldy one (IP Logged)

Re: james norwood v jayden stockley
01 November, 2018 09:20
loyden1 - I completely agree 100 per cent. john clayton and colin Clarke only played together for us for 1 season 1984-1985 and what a partnership it was. clayts got 36 and clarkey got 29. to get 65 between them is out of this world. then as we all know, clarkey signed for Bournemouth and played for northern Ireland in the 1986 world cup in mexico and scored v spain as Ireland lost 1-2 in the group stage first round. the latest news I had was that colin Clarke now works in the usa and clayts was a youth coach at Bristol city I think.

 
paulbyron
paulbyron (IP Logged)

Re: james norwood v jayden stockley
01 November, 2018 11:30
love it when all the past players are brought up on here love the nostalgia my favourites are manning & dyson but along with clayton & Clarke & others ie muir & Aldridge among others we,ve been blessed with some great strikers apologies if I,ve left others out

 
MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

Re: james norwood v jayden stockley
01 November, 2018 11:40
Quote:
the baldy one
yes- that game in 1987 v Exeter city were we had to win to stay in the league was amazing. I was in the cowsheds behind the goal were gary Williams scored - but what a cross by ian muir. sadly 2 players who played for tranmere rovers in this game have now passed away. goalkeeper billy chubby o Rourke and winger dougie Anderson. I thought dougie was a very skilful winger who on his day could win any game. if I am correct - after this Exeter game in 1987, dougie Anderson left tranmere to join our former top goalscorer john clayton at Plymouth argyle. talking about john clayton, I would have to put him in the top 5 best strikers to have played for us in the past 35 years. in his only season with us 1984-1985 he scored 36 goals which included I think 2 hatricks. he then played the first 4 games in 1985-1986 and got 4 goals then signed for Plymouth argyle. so to get 40 goals is amazing. I have no doubt whatsoever, if john clayton would of stayed at tranmere rovers for the same amount of years as ian muir - approx. 10 years, clayts would of become our record goalscorer. what a striker he was.

John Clayton, Ian Muir and Dougie Anderson played out here in HK. Anderson was born in HK..Some good memories from the Clarke/Clayton season, Winning 4-2 vs Chester at the old Sealand Rd ground being one of them. I was sat in their main stand that night and a few Rovers fans got in their home end, a few scuffles ensued. Both Clarke n Clayton got on the scoresheet that night.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2018 11:59 by hong kong rover.

 
the baldy one
the baldy one (IP Logged)

Re: james norwood v jayden stockley
01 November, 2018 14:10
hong kong rover - yes you are correct - dougie Anderson was indeed born in hong kong. talking about that chester match at the old sealand road - I was also at that match in our 4-2 win. there is nothing better than turning your local rivals over on their own turf. and clayts and clarkey ripped them apart that day. its just a pity both of them only stayed for 1 season - but what a season it was . if I am correct we ended up 6th but missed out because their was no play offs in those days. and I think that was bryan hamiltons last season as boss. but just going back to the mid 80s up until now- I have a list of what I think are the best strikers to of played for us - john clayton, colin Clarke, ian muir, jim steel, john Aldridge, andy cook, james norwood, possibly wayne Allison, andy Parkinson. I might of forgotten someone so sorry if I have. but what a list that is. just ending with dougie Anderson- I think he is the only player ever to play for tranmere who was born in hong kong.

 
MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

Re: james norwood v jayden stockley
01 November, 2018 17:44
I'd be tempted to add Chris Greenacre to that list, but am happy to be shouted down on that one.

 
Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

Re: james norwood v jayden stockley
01 November, 2018 18:30
Quote:
Phil65
I'd be tempted to add Chris Greenacre to that list, but am happy to be shouted down on that one.
maybe throw a.simon haworth in aswell. .that season of Clark and Clayton we had to have player of season do in the clipper for some reason any1 on here remember ?

 
MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

Re: james norwood v jayden stockley
02 November, 2018 00:45
I have an old black n white pic tucked away somewhere of John Clayton and Tommy Tynan ( Plymouth ) both suited n booted and sharing the golden boot award. They were the joint top scorers in the football league that season, both with 31 goals each I believe. Just one goal behind them that season was Aldo with 30 goals at Oxford Utd.

 
MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

Re: james norwood v jayden stockley
02 November, 2018 00:57
1984/85 Golden Boot Awards..

Div 4 - Clayton 31 goals ( joint overall winner )
Div 3 - Tynan 31 goals ( joint overall winner )
Div 2 - Aldridge 30 goals
Div 1 - Q. Two players were joint top with 24 goals each, who were they? No cheating chaps.

 
MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

Re: james norwood v jayden stockley
02 November, 2018 03:36
NB. Clayton was the player that Plymouth got in to replace Tynan. Tynan had transferred to Rotherham in the summer of '85..Scouser Tommy Tynan was quite a prolific striker back in his day, 259 goals scored in his senior career.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2018 05:29 by hong kong rover.

 
the baldy one
the baldy one (IP Logged)

Re: james norwood v jayden stockley
02 November, 2018 07:19
hong kong rover - that question you gave about 2 players were joint top scorer both with 24 goals - was one of them ian rush for Liverpool . was the other gary lineker for Leicester city. just to give you a piece of useless info - a few years ago- I went in for a football mastermind competition and I won top prize of 1,000 pounds. so I was crowned north west football mastermind 2008. knowing me - I guess I have got your question wrong though. just going back to that list of strikers I printed- I have to apologise to iain hume. what a striker he was- I completely forgot about humey. one of his best displays was a few years ago when we went to Wrexham and won 5-1. he tore Wrexham apart that day.

 
MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

Re: james norwood v jayden stockley
02 November, 2018 08:21
Quote:
the baldy one
hong kong rover - that question you gave about 2 players were joint top scorer both with 24 goals - was one of them ian rush for Liverpool . was the other gary lineker for Leicester city. just to give you a piece of useless info - a few years ago- I went in for a football mastermind competition and I won top prize of 1,000 pounds. so I was crowned north west football mastermind 2008. knowing me - I guess I have got your question wrong though. just going back to that list of strikers I printed- I have to apologise to iain hume. what a striker he was- I completely forgot about humey. one of his best displays was a few years ago when we went to Wrexham and won 5-1. he tore Wrexham apart that day.

Hi mate, Gary lineker is correct. Ian Rush is incorrect...clue - the other player also played for England but he only won a handful of caps.

 
the baldy one
the baldy one (IP Logged)

Re: james norwood v jayden stockley
02 November, 2018 11:14
hong kong rover - was the other striker who scored 24 goals - Kerry Dixon of Chelsea.

 
MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

Re: james norwood v jayden stockley
02 November, 2018 11:20
Quote:
the baldy one
hong kong rover - was the other striker who scored 24 goals - Kerry Dixon of Chelsea.

Yes correct mate, spot on..trust you didnt cheat lol

 
the baldy one
the baldy one (IP Logged)

Re: james norwood v jayden stockley
02 November, 2018 11:59
hong kong rover - cheers - I suddenly remembered a few English strikers when you gave the clue about playing for England a few times. I thought about nigel clough, then clive allen and then david hurst and Kerry Dixon. I just was not to sure if Chelsea were in division one at the time. as we all know, in recent years- mr Kerry Dixon has spent time in prison so how the mighty fall. he has just brought out his autobiography telling all about his time inside. just going back to division one- it is absolutely crazy now that division one in 1984-1985, is now called the premier league. if you think about it- every single division in England has had about 6 different names.

 
MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

Re: james norwood v jayden stockley
03 November, 2018 17:34
Norwood 2 Stockley 0

 
the baldy one
the baldy one (IP Logged)

Re: james norwood v jayden stockley
03 November, 2018 18:42
as everyone knows - I started this thread a few days ago titled - norwood v stockley. well what can you say. 2 more for the lord , 12 in total and he bites the hand that used to feed him. there is nothing better than winning a big game and scoring the winner against your old club. we are now in the heady heights of 4th and looking good. I also said in my starting thread that if we could keep jayden stockley quiet we would win and hey presto 2-0 to the super white army. I want to praise all the players from goalkeeper to the subs- and of course micky mellon- well done lads.

 
paulbyron
paulbyron (IP Logged)

Re: james norwood v jayden stockley
03 November, 2018 19:20
baldy one I couldn,t agree more about praise for all concerned today great team effort anyone could be nominated for MOM that was a good Exeter team we beat today

 
Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

Re: james norwood v jayden stockley
03 November, 2018 20:07
Stockley looked very decent but our defence didn't him get too close to goal.

 
Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

Re: james norwood v jayden stockley
03 November, 2018 21:54
Stockley being looked at by Sunderland so obviously a good player but for workrate can’t compete with Norwood and Norwood is no shrinking violet very tough to play against

 
kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

Re: james norwood v jayden stockley
03 November, 2018 22:14
Hard working and closing down up to the last minute and I think he was onside for his disallowed one on one


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net
 

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?