football
Latest News:

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

Checkalade ,Man City
29 October, 2018 17:28
Have not got a clue ,does he put first team out hoping we won’t get another 6-0 thumping or go with the fringe players again with the warning buck up your ideas ,we are out the comp Exeter due Saturday give the fringe players a chance to redeem themselves I say and see what happens so I will toss up oops 0-2

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

Re: Checkalade ,Man City
29 October, 2018 17:40
Fringe surely we are out anyway

nlrover
nlrover (IP Logged)

29 October, 2018 18:52
I personally wouldn't have any first teamers involved. They earned a rest on Saturday. The likes of Wharton, Ellis, Tollitt, Akkamudu, Waring need a run out. Give the kids a game too. The combination of us already being out and playing a Prem U21 side means it would be pointless doing anything else.

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

29 October, 2018 19:11
I'd personally re-sign the 1994 squad for a game. Guarantee numbers in the crowd.

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

29 October, 2018 20:05
Quote:
nlrover
I personally wouldn't have any first teamers involved. They earned a rest on Saturday. The likes of Wharton, Ellis, Tollitt, Akkamudu, Waring need a run out. Give the kids a game too. The combination of us already being out and playing a Prem U21 side means it would be pointless doing anything else.
think we got to stick to rules about players or we get fined

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

30 October, 2018 07:49
On the subject of the Man City first team, did anyone see the state of the Wembley pitch last night in their game vs Spurs? It was looking pretty scuffed up and bare of grass in certain areas after the recent Anthony Joshua fight and NFL American football games that have been staged there. Last nights pitch still had all the NFL pitch markings, looked like you were watching gridiron instead of soccer..Mind you, the pitch looked better than the pitches we used to see on Match of the Day back in the 70s. Who can remember all those mudbaths? Some of the worst being at The Baseball Ground, Upton Park, Loftus Road and Maine Road. 3 of those 4 grounds are no more.

MESSAGES->author

30 October, 2018 08:56
Its not necessarily Wembleys fault. The Joshua fight and NFL games were booked well in advance to be staged there..what wasnt foreseen though was Tottenhams prolonged stay there coz of ongoing safety issues at their new stadium.

Claytonne&Clark
Claytonne&Clark (IP Logged)

30 October, 2018 11:22
I think the players will be strangely up for this one. Chances are one of the Man City players will become a top England international, and most of our squad have little experience of playing against any of them.

If I was an attacker, I'd love to have a story in 7 years time of when I scored against a £100m keeper. If I was a defender I'd love to tell the story of how I kept a £100m forward in my pocket for 90 minutes. The fact that the players were 17 at the time would be irrelevant - the story would be there.

So I would give some of the players who are new to EFL football a game, if for morale purposes rather than any other.

30 October, 2018 14:59
Quote:
hong kong rover
On the subject of the Man City first team, did anyone see the state of the Wembley pitch last night in their game vs Spurs? It was looking pretty scuffed up and bare of grass in certain areas after the recent Anthony Joshua fight and NFL American football games that have been staged there. Last nights pitch still had all the NFL pitch markings, looked like you were watching gridiron instead of soccer..Mind you, the pitch looked better than the pitches we used to see on Match of the Day back in the 70s. Who can remember all those mudbaths? Some of the worst being at The Baseball Ground, Upton Park, Loftus Road and Maine Road. 3 of those 4 grounds are no more.

HKR, when Wolves were regular contenders for the Div 1 title in the '40's and '50's they deliberately made the pitch like that to make life difficult for the opposition:

"It had been pouring down over the Midlands but the Wolves manager, Stan Cullis, had ordered the pitch soaked. We stood in the rain, hosing it and then rolling it. The Daily Mail said it resembled the surface of a four-day-old cattle show"

[www.expressandstar.com]

Eee-bah-gum they don't do gamesmanship like they used to

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

30 October, 2018 17:43
Stoke used to get firebrigade to hose the wings for stanley Mathews.

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

30 October, 2018 18:11
I can't bring myself not to watch this after Saturday's great game. I know I shouldn't but Ifollow it is as I don't live localsmiling smiley
Also excited by the team.... Zoum is back with Buxton Ellis and Sutton at back. Tollitt Gilmour Harris and DMH in midfield with Franklyn and Smith up front.
Also delighted to see Gumbs is on the bench - hadn't realised he was that close to fitness. Shame no Ridelagh. Surprised Williams didn't start mind you so he is obviously not impressing... Passant, Walker- Rice?? and Devine also on the bench.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/10/2018 18:11 by ADD.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

30 October, 2018 18:24
Do checkalade offer reviews on the best available beverages of the fizzy carbonated variety perhaps flavoured with a variety of citrus bases? (Sm21)

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

30 October, 2018 19:03
Walker-Rice scored a brilliant goal in pre-season up at Dunfermline.

trfc-boi
trfc-boi (IP Logged)

30 October, 2018 21:13
It was a decent game tbh, City kids passing was good, Rovers had few decent chances.
Feel tollitt should go out on loan, get some match time.
J.George in goal, have few good saves, but why don’t we play our own youth keepers ?

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

30 October, 2018 21:28
Quote:
hong kong rover

For a prem game it was pretty awful, like watching a game from the early 90’s. Wonder how Prenton Park pitch will cope with the next 3 years being home of LFC ladies team (especially with those heels 🤭).

HardlyYardley
HardlyYardley (IP Logged)

30 October, 2018 21:33
If Rovers had 30 players out through injury and suspension, would Waring get a game?

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

31 October, 2018 00:47
Quote:
HardlyYardley
If Rovers had 30 players out through injury and suspension, would Waring get a game?
That would be a no!!
Clearly something has happened between Waring and MM. Most players if they know they are not wanted would be keen to move on but Waring I assume is just keen on taking his salary and will worry about next year when his contract is up at end of season! And before we all we say how wrong he is to do that MM did sign him on a 2 year deal and was keen about him when he signed!
As to the game I thought we did well overall - yes too many misplaced passes but overall a very solid performance. Franklyn did well considering and was great to see Evan back and looking fit.
Surely now Tollitt will be loaned out to get games under his belt.

MESSAGES->author

31 October, 2018 04:22
Quote:
TwelfthofMay-ResurrectionDay
Quote:
hong kong rover

HKR, when Wolves were regular contenders for the Div 1 title in the '40's and '50's they deliberately made the pitch like that to make life difficult for the opposition:

"It had been pouring down over the Midlands but the Wolves manager, Stan Cullis, had ordered the pitch soaked. We stood in the rain, hosing it and then rolling it. The Daily Mail said it resembled the surface of a four-day-old cattle show"

[www.expressandstar.com]

Eee-bah-gum they don't do gamesmanship like they used to

Cheers nice one. I believe that Wolves side from the 50s were pretty decent..on the subject of terrible pitches, go on to you tube and watch Man City v West Ham from Maine Road in 1970, jimmy greaves playing for the Hammers, the pitch is just one almighty sodden mudbath. Lol..there is hardly a blade of grass on the pitch.

MESSAGES->author

31 October, 2018 05:18
Quote:
Loyden1
Stoke used to get firebrigade to hose the wings for stanley Mathews.

Hi Loyden, I think a lot of teams have altered the pitch so that it favours them. Remember that wacky Cambridge manager john beck in the early 90s, he was well known for scuffing up certain areas of the abbey stadium pitch so that it would suit his sides and not the oppositions. He used to throw buckets of Ice cold water over his players before a match. It brought cambridge quite a bit of success but It was mainly long ball stuff up to Dion Dublin n Steve Claridge.

MESSAGES->author

31 October, 2018 05:29
Was it Rovers that used to have strategically placed gaps between the advertising hoardings at Prenton to allow Dave Challinor to take his long throw ins? Anything to gain an advantage lol.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

31 October, 2018 05:58
Was Wilson any good

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

31 October, 2018 06:30
Barry fry used to let the corners grow the grass long do the opposing player would think the ball would go out.

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)

31 October, 2018 09:15
Didn't City vary the pitch width when they weren't very good in Maine Road days? Playing a decent side with wingers, let's make the pitch narrow. They changed the rules after to stop it happening.

JK JD
JK JD (IP Logged)

31 October, 2018 10:34
Souness did this st Rangers for a European tie.

They let the team train on it during the day, as soon as they left the ground the narrowed the pitch. You could clearly see the new and old touch lines during the game.

All leagsl, as the pitch was still within the required pitch size

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

31 October, 2018 20:45
Quote:
hong kong rover
Hi Loyden, I think a lot of teams have altered the pitch so that it favours them. Remember that wacky Cambridge manager john beck in the early 90s, he was well known for scuffing up certain areas of the abbey stadium pitch so that it would suit his sides and not the oppositions. He used to throw buckets of Ice cold water over his players before a match. It brought cambridge quite a bit of success but It was mainly long ball stuff up to Dion Dublin n Steve Claridge.

I recall Beck being investigaed at Cambridge and Lincoln for dubious financial practices.

He was also alleged to have encouraged cheating and allowing his ball boys to use heated towels, so when it was raining his sides would be able to take throw in's with dry balls and the opposition would have to use wet ones.

Not a trustworthy character I feel.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Kentexile
Kentexile (IP Logged)

31 October, 2018 22:58
Just watched the extended highlights, some great runs from Tollitt, he looked close to his old self in those clips.

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

31 October, 2018 23:20
Good to hear Ben getting back to form. How was Dylan

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

01 November, 2018 10:42
Quote:
kennyspint
Good to hear Ben getting back to form. How was Dylan
The highlights flattered Ben TBH - yes there were a few good runs but second half he was anonymous. Still feel he needs to go on loan - surely a NL side would be interested?
DMH was better than recently though to be fair with both of them it was difficult to be objective against powder puff tackling and lack of physicality

paulbyron
paulbyron (IP Logged)

01 November, 2018 11:36
Quote:
hong kong rover
Was it Rovers that used to have strategically placed gaps between the advertising hoardings at Prenton to allow Dave Challinor to take his long throw ins? Anything to gain an advantage lol.
HKR wasn,t it against Bolton in a league cup game when big sam objected to the ball being dried by challinor or the ball boys and sam wouldn,t let his players get showered after the match just marched them onto the bus hope my memory is up to scratch

MESSAGES->author

01 November, 2018 11:44
Quote:
paulbyron
Quote:
hong kong rover
HKR wasn,t it against Bolton in a league cup game when big sam objected to the ball being dried by challinor or the ball boys and sam wouldn,t let his players get showered after the match just marched them onto the bus hope my memory is up to scratch

HI mate, I think you are right there.

MESSAGES->author

01 November, 2018 12:27
Quote:
hong kong rover
Quote:
paulbyron
Quote:
hong kong rover

HI mate, I think you are right there.

This certainly happened but the animosity between Aldo and Fat Sam goes back further. We spoiled their 100 goal, 100 point promotion party at Prenton and didn't Aldo have us turn up unwashed ourselves at one point? There was also our D3 playoff win (which wasn't him I know, but the memories linger).

paulbyron
paulbyron (IP Logged)

01 November, 2018 12:48
thanks for the replies everytime I hear big sam mentioned I think of big girls blouse !!!! when I saw the Chelsea coach dancing in front of jose it took me back to aldo pumping his fists in front of sam in the dug out I think he said after he didn,t realise where he was great stuff

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

01 November, 2018 12:53
Think noblot got changed on coach on borough Rd. Bfsam said our facilities weren't good enough

Claytonne&Clark

01 November, 2018 13:32
If I remember rightly, Bolton got changed on the team coach because Tranmere put up posters in the corridors and away dressing room of the news stories about our League Cup win. So Bolton refused to use our facilities, got changed on the bus and entered the stadium through the gate by the Paddock, walking up the tunnel for the referee to march the two sides out again.

The hostility with Bolton, from our perspective, started in 1987. Our match was due to be played on the night the Police were striking and not doing overtime, so they couldn't cover the game and it had to be postponed. Rather than accepting this, Bolton's secretary rejected the decision to postpone the game, so Bolton and the Referee turned up at the stadium to be turned away and we got a 2 point deduction for not fulfilling the fixture. We weren't a threat to Bolton that season (they were top, we were mid-table with no hope of promotion), but the Secretary had always hated Tranmere as when he was a kid, in 1938, Bolton needed Tranmere to win at home on the last day of the season for Bolton to go up at our opponents expense and given we were already Champions that they thought that would happen. But lots of our team were planning on leaving in the summer and the chairman prevented them from playing, so a largely reserve side lost and Bolton stayed down. As he had always felt a grudge about that, nearly 50 years later he needlessly got us a points deduction to get us back.

From 1990 onwards they were local rivals, and people like Phil Neal really stoked up anger saying we shouldn't be in the Play-Off Final if we finished 10 points behind them. So Aldo and Fat Sam were just passionate managers, revealing in the disrespect that grew between the teams.

I recall that for the League Cup semi 2nd leg we had announced that Challinor was out for 3 months, and he attended the game the Saturday before with clutches. He wasn't actually injured, it was a ploy so they wouldn't practice defending long throws. I recall everyone being shocked when his name came over the tannoy, as they played a blinder in keeping his fitness a secret.

MESSAGES->author

01 November, 2018 15:48
Quote:
Claytonne&Clark
If I remember rightly, Bolton got changed on the team coach because Tranmere put up posters in the corridors and away dressing room of the news stories about our League Cup win. So Bolton refused to use our facilities, got changed on the bus and entered the stadium through the gate by the Paddock, walking up the tunnel for the referee to march the two sides out again.
The hostility with Bolton, from our perspective, started in 1987. Our match was due to be played on the night the Police were striking and not doing overtime, so they couldn't cover the game and it had to be postponed. Rather than accepting this, Bolton's secretary rejected the decision to postpone the game, so Bolton and the Referee turned up at the stadium to be turned away and we got a 2 point deduction for not fulfilling the fixture. We weren't a threat to Bolton that season (they were top, we were mid-table with no hope of promotion), but the Secretary had always hated Tranmere as when he was a kid, in 1938, Bolton needed Tranmere to win at home on the last day of the season for Bolton to go up at our opponents expense and given we were already Champions that they thought that would happen. But lots of our team were planning on leaving in the summer and the chairman prevented them from playing, so a largely reserve side lost and Bolton stayed down. As he had always felt a grudge about that, nearly 50 years later he needlessly got us a points deduction to get us back.

From 1990 onwards they were local rivals, and people like Phil Neal really stoked up anger saying we shouldn't be in the Play-Off Final if we finished 10 points behind them. So Aldo and Fat Sam were just passionate managers, revealing in the disrespect that grew between the teams.

I recall that for the League Cup semi 2nd leg we had announced that Challinor was out for 3 months, and he attended the game the Saturday before with clutches. He wasn't actually injured, it was a ploy so they wouldn't practice defending long throws. I recall everyone being shocked when his name came over the tannoy, as they played a blinder in keeping his fitness a secret.

Great info C&C. Got to say I don't recall the 87 thing at all. I remember playing them in that year in D4 when Wolves won the league and Bull got all those goals. I even went to Bolton with their quarter ground away terrace and supermarket away end, but can't recall the home game at all or a point deduction.

Claytonne&Clark

05 November, 2018 14:40
I remember we won the rearranged game (2-0) I think with one of the best performances we had that season, and the Globe review started off by saying how it was effectively got the same reward we would for a draw.

MESSAGES->author

14 November, 2018 17:46
See that Morecambe v Sunderland in the checkatrade last night attracted a crowd of 2,377. Morecambe had no chance of progressing and finished bottom of the group on zero points, so I wonder how many Sunderland fans were there? my guess is 2,000 Sunderland and 377 home fans. its probably gonna be one of their best attendances this season.lol… Shrewsbury and Man City U21s progress from our group, but who really gives a toss?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/11/2018 17:53 by hong kong rover.

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

14 November, 2018 18:13
Must of been £1 to get in

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net