football
Latest News:

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

O/T Wear your poppy with pride
28 October, 2018 13:18
A 100 year old British gentleman arrived in Paris by plane. As he was fumbling in his bag for his passport a stern French lady asked if he had ever been to France before. He admitted that he had indeed been previously. The lady sarcastically said 'then you should know to have your passport out and waiting,sir.' The gentleman said, 'I didn't have to show it last time.'..'Impossible!' the woman said, ' you British have always had to show your passports to get through here.' The man responded by whispering in her ear, ' Well when I came ashore on the beach on D-Day 1944, I couldn't find any f***ing Frenchmen to show it to!....

Wear your poppy with pride.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/10/2018 13:33 by hong kong rover.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

Re: O/T Wear your poppy with pride
28 October, 2018 13:54
On the ball as usual HKR 😀 will indeed purchase the big one that covers half your coat ,there won’t be many or hopefully no one on here needs reminding ,all my uncles and father all went to war and unbelievably they all came back .my dad was on the minesweepers out of Lowerstoft and his name is in the book of all who done the Minesweeping .its also famous in his favourite pub as he was a well known minesweeper

MESSAGES->author

28 October, 2018 14:05
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
On the ball as usual HKR 😀 will indeed purchase the big one that covers half your coat ,there won’t be many or hopefully no one on here needs reminding ,all my uncles and father all went to war and unbelievably they all came back .my dad was on the minesweepers out of Lowerstoft and his name is in the book of all who done the Minesweeping .its also famous in his favourite pub as he was a well known minesweeper

+1 Nice one Fifty , my grandfather served in the 1st world war and my father served out in Malaya in the Malayan war during the 1950s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/10/2018 14:10 by hong kong rover.

WWStandsure
WWStandsure (IP Logged)

28 October, 2018 14:47
Just another reason why BRITAIN should separate from the Parliament of the EU. We only signed up for the Common Market. I have Wonderful friends on the continent - none are politicians I am pleased to report. Wear the RED Poppy with PRIDE (my late Father served in the 2nd Battalion The Black Watch (1938-1946, entirely abroad, the only Battalion in the British Army to do so), survivor of Palestine, Crete, Tobruk (A 'Rat of Tobruk'), North Africa & Burma ('Chindits'), We are only here because of 'Those who served' - NEVER FORGET THEM (my Dad was a Rovers fan too......).

paulbyron
paulbyron (IP Logged)

28 October, 2018 14:57
brilliant HKR my dad and uncles were in Egypt & Burma his name was Thomas and the tale he tells me was that his mates didn,t realise the japs knew he was there as each night they would shout were coming for you TOMMY funny until you realise what they went through

MESSAGES->author

28 October, 2018 15:01
nice one WW and Paul.

Fiftyyearsarover

28 October, 2018 16:11
One of my uncles was about 5ft 4 and joined the Scottish regiment in Liverpool he was only one of about a dozen who survived the war Egypt the desert Italy this little guy came through the lot ,a few years before he died he visited the regimental museum in Scotland ,a major came into the museum and was elated to meet my uncle ,he arranged a dinner in his honour at the headquarters ,I think it was in Dundee and he was piped into the dinner and really feted .a really quiet gentleman ,he came back from the war ,got his job back at Lairds and had 8kids .was my favourite uncle. I am worried about you guys not picking up on my joke about my father he was indeed on the minesweepers ,a minesweeper was a name in the days of my youth given to a person who when you went to the toilet he would pinch your pint or drink what someone had left sometimes my gems are wasted😬

MESSAGES->author

28 October, 2018 17:17
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
One of my uncles was about 5ft 4 and joined the Scottish regiment in Liverpool he was only one of about a dozen who survived the war Egypt the desert Italy this little guy came through the lot ,a few years before he died he visited the regimental museum in Scotland ,a major came into the museum and was elated to meet my uncle ,he arranged a dinner in his honour at the headquarters ,I think it was in Dundee and he was piped into the dinner and really feted .a really quiet gentleman ,he came back from the war ,got his job back at Lairds and had 8kids .was my favourite uncle. I am worried about you guys not picking up on my joke about my father he was indeed on the minesweepers ,a minesweeper was a name in the days of my youth given to a person who when you went to the toilet he would pinch your pint or drink what someone had left sometimes my gems are wasted😬

nice one, my late father was born in Dar-es-Salaam in Tanzania in 1928. My grandfather was working out there on the infamous East African/Ugandan railway. went back to uk when my father was about 4 yrs old. my dad served out in Malaya in the Malayan conflict in the 1950s as a national serviceman.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

28 October, 2018 17:22
i wont be wearing a poppy this year or any other.

belmont63
belmont63 (IP Logged)

28 October, 2018 17:25
Quote:
hong kong rover
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover

+1 Nice one Fifty , my grandfather served in the 1st world war and my father served out in Malaya in the Malayan war during the 1950s.

No need for Brexit bollox on this site please esp under a poppies' thread

MESSAGES->author

28 October, 2018 17:29
Quote:
mrGr33n13

I worked you out ages ago pal, you get yourself off on being just a deliberate antagonistic spanner in the works.

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

28 October, 2018 17:31
I'll be wearing mine with pride thinking of all and especially my late father . Born in 1933 he didn't serve in the war but was conscripted into the Lancashire Fusiliers . He served in Egypt but was mainly involved in the Kenyan uprising with the Mau Mau during the 1950's .

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

28 October, 2018 17:34
lol @ equating poppies with anti EU / brexit. the nuance and irony is lost on people like that.

we went into the first world war as we had a signed agreement that we would act to protect belgium. when germany set foot in beliguim they were at war with us.

the tommies were mobilised to protect the sovereignty of brussels due to a political agreement between the two countries ffs.

i voted leave fwiw, but some bedfellows in the leave movement are awful.

HKR

i respect your opinion mate. but lots of people refuse to wear poppies for a number of reasons. i'm not assed about debating the reasons.

MESSAGES->author

28 October, 2018 17:40
Quote:
belmont63
Quote:
hong kong rover
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover

No need for Brexit bollox on this site please esp under a poppies' thread

you shouldnt be quoting myself or Fiftyyearsarover on the subject of Brexit/EU, it was another poster that brought that subject up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/10/2018 17:57 by hong kong rover.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

28 October, 2018 19:05
Quote:
mrGr33n13
lol @ equating poppies with anti EU / brexit. the nuance and irony is lost on people like that.
we went into the first world war as we had a signed agreement that we would act to protect belgium. when germany set foot in beliguim they were at war with us.

the tommies were mobilised to protect the sovereignty of brussels due to a political agreement between the two countries ffs.

HKR

i respect your opinion mate. but lots of people refuse to wear poppies for a number of reasons. i'm not assed about debating the reasons.

No, enlighten us. It was never a choice, political or otherwise for many young men, barely out of childhood, to sign up to have their lives taken so horrifically in such dirt, squalor and inhumane circumstances. Time to put aside any selfish reasoning and remember the suffering, agony, heartache and even perceived injustice of those victims and their families. The poppy is a universal representation of all who lost their lives, regardless of nationality. That's from an oft deluded pacifist. If I can give up my own self-centred reasoning in respect, then I'm struggling to understand why we're not all united on this. The poppy is not a glorification of war or a justification for current or future conflict, but a symbol with educational functionality that should eternally make us remember and take heed of the horrors of war. Believe it or not, against the "populist belief", I've respected your opinion on many things, but not on this one. My children will be wearing poppy badges tomorrow when they return to school, as will my wife and I. I make no apologies for indoctrinating them regarding this as this is a non-political, humanist symbol that should unite, not divide, families, communities and nations. In every other aspect of their comfortable, naive and protected little lives, they have free choice; unlike those who gave the greatest sacrifice.

pez
pez (IP Logged)

28 October, 2018 19:13
Quote:
mrGr33n13

Enlighten us as why you won't be wearing a poppy then?

As an ex serving soldier, I find your post particularly offensive.

I am a 100% for bringing back National Service to instill a bit of National Pride into today's Xbox society.

The reality is that 100 years ago , men and women died in their thousands to ensure the freedom you enjoy today.

Your vile comment on here belittles their sacrifice and by my reckoning, that makes you a vile person!

Feel free to private message me if you wish to debate it further face to face!

For the record, I'll be in Gallagher's on November ,11th raising a glass to those hero's who never returned together with quite a few other ex and serving soldiers, I'm guessing you won't have the balls to turn up?

I'm sure they'd love to hear your worthless comments!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 28/10/2018 19:19 by pez.

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

28 October, 2018 19:14
Quote:
Phil65
Quote:
mrGr33n13

HKR

No, enlighten us. It was never a choice, political or otherwise for many young men, barely out of childhood, to sign up to have their lives taken so horrifically in such dirt, squalor and inhumane circumstances. Time to put aside any selfish reasoning and remember the suffering, agony, heartache and even perceived injustice of those victims and their families. The poppy is a universal representation of all who lost their lives, regardless of nationality. That's from an oft deluded pacifist. If I can give up my own self-centred reasoning in respect, then I'm struggling to understand why we're not all united on this. The poppy is not a glorification of war or a justification for current or future conflict, but a symbol with educational functionality that should eternally make us remember and take heed of the horrors of war. Believe it or not, against the "populist belief", I've respected your opinion on many things, but not on this one. My children will be wearing poppy badges tomorrow when they return to school, as will my wife and I. I make no apologies for indoctrinating them regarding this as this is a non-political, humanist symbol that should unite, not divide, families, communities and nations. In every other aspect of their comfortable, naive and protected little lives, they have free choice; unlike those who gave the greatest sacrifice.
+1

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

28 October, 2018 19:26
Quote:
Uglybob
Quote:
Phil65
Quote:
mrGr33n13

HKR

+1

+2

Fiftyyearsarover

28 October, 2018 19:38
MRGr .how you can equate the poppy with Brexit alludes me ,you would not be walking about as you do in freedom if not for the millions who died many barely out of school you would not probably be here .l find the likes of you and others who disrespect the wearing of the poppy insulting ,my sisters husband was in Beb sea cadets for 64 years received an MBE .every year those cadets were always at the cross in Bromboro every year know matter what ,those kids many of the young girls certainly respected the poppy .you are a disgrace and I certainly won’t respond to future threads you put on here

belmont63
belmont63 (IP Logged)

28 October, 2018 19:54
HKR - Sorry for misquote. Meant to cite Standsure but did post using phone. Always technically perilous in my case. Hence error. Apologies to yourself & 50

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

28 October, 2018 20:17
50, I was arguing against using the poppy to allude to Brexit.

As for me not wearing one it's a personal choice. I support ex service men in a number of other ways, including caring for an ex air force man who spent 4 years in a German POW camp.

I don't like the way the poppy is politicised (see the person linking it to Brexit), I don't like how it is adopted as a signal of virtue (see celebrities who try to be the first to wear one on TV). I don't like how it is fetishized by people who want to threaten other people who don't wear one. I don't think the lads who fought in the first world war where fighting a just war and that they were horribly let down by the country. I don't think a poppy reclaims that.

I don't like the bullying of pacifists who don't want to wear one. And I'd rather stand for individual freedom than collective groupthink mobbing.

Its a gesture for some and I appreciate why you guys wear one. I'll happily put cash into the collection box, but I think we should move on from that war now.

I won't wear one. I won't be told I have to wear one. And I think anyone making threats and posturing to force people into rightthink are bullies and have rather proved my point.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

28 October, 2018 20:58
Quote:
mrGr33n13
50, I was arguing against using the poppy to allude to Brexit.
As for me not wearing one it's a personal choice. I support ex service men in a number of other ways, including caring for an ex air force man who spent 4 years in a German POW camp.

I don't like the way the poppy is politicised (see the person linking it to Brexit), I don't like how it is adopted as a signal of virtue (see celebrities who try to be the first to wear one on TV). I don't like how it is fetishized by people who want to threaten other people who don't wear one. I don't think the lads who fought in the first world war where fighting a just war and that they were horribly let down by the country. I don't think a poppy reclaims that.

I don't like the bullying of pacifists who don't want to wear one. And I'd rather stand for individual freedom than collective groupthink mobbing.

Its a gesture for some and I appreciate why you guys wear one. I'll happily put cash into the collection box, but I think we should move on from that war now.

I won't wear one. I won't be told I have to wear one. And I think anyone making threats and posturing to force people into rightthink are bullies and have rather proved my point.

Those people like the student unions of Southampton and Cambridge who claim that the poppies 'glorify war' are so wrong. They should go on a trip to the battlefields of France,Belgium and elsewhere to see for themselves what an utter waste of human lives it was on all sides.But these lads gave their lives for their country and their great sacrifice should always be remembered and honoured by our and future generations not shamefully disrespected by ...... ..........

The French have a version of the poppy -it is a blue flower[cornflower ]type to honour their fallen.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

28 October, 2018 21:04
For the record I don't believe poppies glorify war. But I can see why some think they do.

And I don't think that people who do should be threatened for not wearing a poppy.

I don't believe not wearing one disrespects service men.

I don't think servicemen should be disrespected, quite the opposite actually.

I find the aggressive hectoring of people to confirm to be the exact attitude the second world war was fought to erradicate.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

28 October, 2018 21:53
Quote:
mrGr33n13
For the record I don't believe poppies glorify war. But I can see why some think they do.
And I don't think that people who do should be threatened for not wearing a poppy.

I find the aggressive hectoring of people to confirm to be the exact attitude the second world war was fought to erradicate.

Why do you think that ''some think they do''?

This ''aggressive hectoring'' actually comes mainly from the vocal minorities each with their own agendas who repeatedly throw their toys out of their prams if they don't get their own way.

Temple Road
Temple Road (IP Logged)

28 October, 2018 22:07
My GG Grandfather was in the Crimean War, Great Grandfather India and Boar War, Grandfather France 1914 third week of the War arm blown off.Father Burma WW11 in the Chindits he was shot through the mouth,one of first ever to be rescued by the Yanks from the Jungle under the noses of the Japanese,he spent 18 months in an Hospital in India with Skull wired together. Step Son serving in the RAF tours of N.Ireland.,Falklands.Afghanistan, All from Birkenhead.

I here because of these men,and I will and I do and I am Proud

Keep the Faith

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

28 October, 2018 22:33
Quote:
Hoots Mon

Why do you think that ''some think they do''?

This ''aggressive hectoring'' actually comes mainly from the vocal minorities each with their own agendas who repeatedly throw their toys out of their prams if they don't get their own way.

Well there's been quite a bit of aggressive hectoring in this thread. It's not a minority.

This is what I mean about the poppy being politicised and fetishised to the point where merely saying you won't wear a poppy brings out the absolute worst in people.

It is ugly and I want no part of it.

I even said I didnt want to discuss it and got a flurry of responses demanding I explain myself for daring to not conform.

Thank God people died for others freedom eh.

As for why people associate the poppy with the glorification of war, as I said it's not a view point I agree with or have sympathy for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/10/2018 22:33 by mrGr33n13.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

28 October, 2018 22:41
Quote:
mrGr33n13

Glad to see that you are actually assed about debating the reasons. Could have saved some pain by avoiding a comment that was bound to be perceived as flippancy and elicit a reaction; I don't for one minute think that slipped below your intellectual radar. I concur with your previous comment regarding standing for individual freedom, but that is something, as you know, that has to be fought for in many different ways; sometimes literally. Conscripts lost their individual freedom and lives; this overshadows any principles or debate for me regarding to wear or not to wear. Each to their own. Peace.

paulbyron
paulbyron (IP Logged)

28 October, 2018 22:52
I,m at a loss as a post from HKR which wasn,t serious has turned out in the manner it has, nobody on here has said we should/shouldn,t wear a poppy the posts were remembering family members who served in the wars,

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

28 October, 2018 22:55
Oh I'm not debating sir.

I'm stating my reasons after you and the mob so eloquently and calmly asked for them. Never has the spirit of 'each to their own' been so beautifully drawn as grown men going off on one about hard won freedoms when someone doesn't think the same way as them.

I mean I was threatened with having to drink lager in Gallagher's bar at one point.

Wear one if you like. I don't care.

Don't wear one, I don't care.

I didn't want to politard the thread. I agree I probably shouldn't have posted that I wasnt going to wear a poppy.

The fascist responses were all too predictable.

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

28 October, 2018 23:48
Don't think many drink lager in gallaghers it's mainly a real ale pub

Gunslinger
Gunslinger (IP Logged)

29 October, 2018 05:22
Well done mrGr33n13. I think you have defended your corner admirably and expressed your views with great dignity and poise under mob attack. It's a shame that you should be harangued in such a manner on a footballing forum. Perhaps we should all buy WHITE Poppies for Peace from News from Nowhere on Bold Street, Liverpool. After all we are the Super WHITE Army?

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

29 October, 2018 06:07
Uneccasarily interjecting in a thread about respect and remberance, saying he can't be assed to debate reasons for not wearing a poppy, generically labelling others as bullies, in the context of the thread referring to others replies as fascist; shows a lack of dignity and poise in my eyes. Just a question, not bullying or haranguing, are you saying the red poppy has no relevance to peace?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/10/2018 06:18 by Phil65.

MESSAGES->author

29 October, 2018 07:06
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Uglybob
Quote:
Phil65
Quote:
mrGr33n13

HKR

+1

+2

+3 superbly put phil

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/10/2018 07:10 by hong kong rover.

MESSAGES->author

29 October, 2018 07:09
Quote:
belmont63
HKR - Sorry for misquote. Meant to cite Standsure but did post using phone. Always technically perilous in my case. Hence error. Apologies to yourself & 50

No worries, no need to apologise.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

29 October, 2018 07:10
I've stated my case clearly.

The behaviour in this thread just reinforces why I won't wear one.

I wasnt trying to convince others and would rather have not had to have a back and forth.

But a lot of people find non conformity to be 'vile' 'offensive' and that poppy wearing is the one area in life where people don't have a choice.

I have no idea what the poppy symbolises. For some it's a political symbol, others see it as a signal of virtue or national pride, some a symbol of peace, some a symbol of war.

I just find it brings out the worst in people and I won't be harangued into wearing one.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

29 October, 2018 09:17
Wrongly labelling people ''fascists'' ,''the mob ''and ''aggressive hectors''says more about yourself than it does about those you have tried to tar with those brushes.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

29 October, 2018 09:27
Well there's only one group of people demanding explanations from people who won't wear what is demanded of them.

Only one group saying that there is no choice on wearing a poppy and that not doing so is vile and offensive.

I've simply said that poppies bring the worst out in people, as this thread has shown.

I can't think of any other charitable symbol where choosing not to wear one brings about such vitriolic abuse and hectoring. All done without a shred of self awareness whilst prattling on about hard won freedoms.

No thanks mate. Not for me.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

29 October, 2018 09:54
Quote:
mrGr33n13
Well there's only one group of people demanding explanations from people who won't wear what is demanded of them.
Only one group saying that there is no choice on wearing a poppy and that not doing so is vile and offensive.

I've simply said that poppies bring the worst out in people, as this thread has shown.

I can't think of any other charitable symbol where choosing not to wear one brings about such vitriolic abuse and hectoring. All done without a shred of self awareness whilst prattling on about hard won freedoms.

No thanks mate. Not for me.

This post shows your true colours. Time to call it quits before you dig yourself in any deeper.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

29 October, 2018 10:59
True colours meaning?

I've merely disagreed with a majority position. I've not tried to influence anyone else's opinion and would argue I've done more in my professional life to improve the lives of ex ww2 soldiers and their families than most in this thread.

I've committed the thought-crime of poppy hearsay. Guilty as charged I guess.

You think not wearing a poppy is a moral consideration. I understand that view point, but I don't agree with it.

Each to their own, innit

Claytonne&Clark
Claytonne&Clark (IP Logged)

29 October, 2018 15:53
The two World Wars were periods when millions of British people were voluntarily prepared to travel to Europe to defend the lives and rights of their European counterparts. They were an act of pro-European solidarity.

The reason I won't wear a poppy is that the narrative has been allowed to side-track from that. The world wars are too often used by xenophobic people to celebrate fighting with Germans, rather than remembering the selfless sacrifices made for the people of Belgium, France and others. Acts of pro-European brotherhood are too often represented as acts of division and aggression - I've never heard Poppy campaigners make those points, or condemn the misrepresentation of why many fought, which is why no longer represent those who served.

Let's not forget during the same period many people volunteered to join the Spanish Civil War, which had nothing to do with the UK but a lot to do with pro-European solidarity - our forces were not aggressive thugs wanting to fight, but honourable people wanting to protect.

For me poppy-wearing and Brexit are heavily linked - wearing a poppy whilst supporting Brexit seems very contradictory.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

29 October, 2018 17:23
Quote:
Claytonne&Clark
The two World Wars were periods when millions of British people were voluntarily prepared to travel to Europe to defend the lives and rights of their European counterparts. They were an act of pro-European solidarity.
The reason I won't wear a poppy is that the narrative has been allowed to side-track from that. The world wars are too often used by xenophobic people to celebrate fighting with Germans, rather than remembering the selfless sacrifices made for the people of Belgium, France and others. Acts of pro-European brotherhood are too often represented as acts of division and aggression - I've never heard Poppy campaigners make those points, or condemn the misrepresentation of why many fought, which is why no longer represent those who served.

Let's not forget during the same period many people volunteered to join the Spanish Civil War, which had nothing to do with the UK but a lot to do with pro-European solidarity - our forces were not aggressive thugs wanting to fight, but honourable people wanting to protect.

For me poppy-wearing and Brexit are heavily linked - wearing a poppy whilst supporting Brexit seems very contradictory.

George Orwell's "Homage to Catalonia" is an interesting read re: his experiences in the Spanish Civil War.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

29 October, 2018 17:25
I doubt Orwell wrote an uninteresting sentence in his life.

A deeply fascinating and fascinated man.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

29 October, 2018 17:31
Quote:
mrGr33n13

Are you stalking me mrGr! smiling smiley
Can't argue with that!

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

30 October, 2018 06:27
We have also lost a lot of many men and women in recent conflicts in the Middle East. What has that got to do with Europe. The RBL supports all servicemen and women from all conflicts around the world. Myself as an ex servicemen wear my poppy with pride and admire any on who works with the RBL, because the do a fantastic job. I my opinion, anyone who doesn’t show support, simply doesn’t understand the true meaning and how it helps.

MESSAGES->author
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

30 October, 2018 10:43
Whatever, mrG... couldn't be 4rsed reading it all tbh.

Just want to know if you are going to stick a quid in the Legion's tin and forego taking the floral decoration?

They are a charity that helps ex-servicemen and women after all...

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

30 October, 2018 18:25
More than that actually organise the poppy collection box in my workplace each year.

I simply won't wear one myself.

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

30 October, 2018 18:31
Quote:
mrGr33n13
More than that actually organise the poppy collection box in my workplace each year.

Well I think that's terrible. I bought one in 1996 and have worn it every year since without having to donate anything at all, but the most important thing is wearing one.

And I don't thank bus drivers.

WWStandsure
WWStandsure (IP Logged)

31 October, 2018 16:28
Wearing a 'Red Poppy' - It's ALL about showing one's support for those who gave the ultimate sacrifice - so we can live our lives in peace while not being dictated too, and have the freedom to make open comments like these, via this site. So from a Rovers fan of over 50 years (as previous generations of my family), and having served in the RN for eight years, then changed uniforms (for another twenty five) - I WILL WEAR ONE, IN REMEMBRANCE.

MESSAGES->author
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

31 October, 2018 18:09
Quote:
mrGr33n13

"Organise the poppy collection box in my workplace each year"

So you are the one who has the responsibility to padlock the tin it to the table?

I suppose you do a lot of work for charity but don't like to talk about... like you just did!

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

31 October, 2018 21:21
I wouldn't be so onanistic as to mention all the numerous charities I support, mate...

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

31 October, 2018 23:25
Quote:
Phil65
Quote:
mrGr33n13

HKR

I didn't intend to get into this as it is a football forum. But I so agree with this.

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

31 October, 2018 23:32
Quote:
Claytonne&Clark

I take your point but my Dad was too young to go to Spain at the age of 14 but still raised money for the Republic. The Poppy for me is a memory of all that fell for freedom.

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

31 October, 2018 23:33
Quote:
mrGr33n13
+1

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net