football
Latest News:
 

corpac
corpac (IP Logged)

James Norwood
27 October, 2018 19:38
For all you people who despair at Norwoods profligacy just remember this; if he were not so profligate he would be playing at a higher level a long time ago. As regards to Crawley, they are a good side who will be in the mix come the end of the season. Any one fancy a bet.

 
Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
27 October, 2018 20:13
Quote:
corpac
For all you people who despair at Norwoods profligacy just remember this; if he were not so profligate he would be playing at a higher level a long time ago. As regards to Crawley, they are a good side who will be in the mix come the end of the season. Any one fancy a bet.
Sorry Corpac , can't agree with that one . I'm not a betting man but Crawley were very poor today and on that performance their league position flatters them . I'd be surprised if they finished above mid table to be honest .

 
davep63
davep63 (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
27 October, 2018 21:24
Quote:
Uglybob
Quote:
corpac
For all you people who despair at Norwoods profligacy just remember this; if he were not so profligate he would be playing at a higher level a long time ago. As regards to Crawley, they are a good side who will be in the mix come the end of the season. Any one fancy a bet.
Sorry Corpac , can't agree with that one . I'm not a betting man but Crawley were very poor today and on that performance their league position flatters them . I'd be surprised if they finished above mid table to be honest .
did they not beat Newport 4-1 the only team that's beat us at home this season but saying that I though that they would be better than they were today SWA

 
rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
27 October, 2018 21:45
Crawley are a decent footballing side and are where they are by merit.

Their biggest downfall as said by their own fans is that their defence isn't as strong as the attack and they get found out away from home (hence the poor away form all season) when like other teams they should be playing more safer football.

 
velico
velico (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
27 October, 2018 21:47
Newport are workman like and nothing more, crawley will finish mid- table, despite midweek nothing to fear in this league it may be January that feks us up.

 
Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
27 October, 2018 22:02
Best opposition I've seen this season have been Mansfield by a mile . I actually enjoyed a 0-0 draw .

 
MESSAGES->author
2 the moon (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
27 October, 2018 22:11
Fully agree it's his profligacy that may have kept him in the this end of the pyramid. He really should of had a hatrick today. But he scored a brace and bought us a peno and is league 2 top scorer. I'm pretty sure there will be lge 1 clubs at least monitoring him

 
MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
28 October, 2018 03:15
Back on top of the league 2 top scorers chart...get in Nors.

 
Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
28 October, 2018 08:19
Without Norwood we would still be ln the NL wilderness he misses more than he scores but with his work rate he is brilliant for us .i have given up critisising him for missing chances as he has saved us on many occasions, eg Wembley ,he is what he is ,he will always miss chances, we would really struggle without him Vive Le Nors

 
mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
28 October, 2018 10:33
"he misses more than he scores"

true of every striker

messi and harry kane for example take 5-6 shots per goal.

not many players approach 4 shots per goal over decent samples.

people notice nors missing as it has become a thing.

try not thinking of a pink guitar after reading this sentence.

try not to notice yellow cars on the road if you go out today.

 
Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
28 October, 2018 11:17
Can’t help but notice yellows cars MRgr hate them .never think of any guitar never mind a pink one

 
coltran
coltran (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
28 October, 2018 11:17
I really rate Norwood and admire his work-rate and his goals speak for themselves. However, if the worst happens and he is snapped up by a League 1 club in January, it may not be the disaster for us that many are anticipating. We managed to score four at Morecambe without him.

 
Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
28 October, 2018 11:50
Worth noting we've conceded three goals twice without him.
His tracking back and chasing balls down in midfield takes a lot of pressure off the defence.

 
aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
28 October, 2018 13:41
Just shows how we all appear to see things different. For me Crawley were by probably the worst side I’ve see this season. Even Mac town had some shape about them. Crawley looked like they couldn’t defend if their life depended upon it. At the end of the game, I don’t think even 8 goals would of flattered us.

 
Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
28 October, 2018 15:01
Quote:
aktrfc
Just shows how we all appear to see things different. For me Crawley were by probably the worst side I’ve see this season. Even Mac town had some shape about them. Crawley looked like they couldn’t defend if their life depended upon it. At the end of the game, I don’t think even 8 goals would of flattered us.
+1

 
paulbyron
paulbyron (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
28 October, 2018 15:04
to me the only time crawley looked ok was when we took our foot off the gas I agree with uglybob regarding Mansfield being the best team up to now

 
Uptonrover
Uptonrover (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
28 October, 2018 15:21
I did say on the main Crawley thread that i too thought Crawley were not very good and their league position flattered them. Good how everybody has different opinions though i guess or it would be a boring world! Mansfield looked very organised and everybody appeared to know their roles in the team and stuck to it. I would say though although we beat Lincoln and came up with a plan to nulify where they were outplaying us, they in the first half at least looked a cut above everybody we have played so far.

 
Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
28 October, 2018 15:56
My idea is that Crawley didn't know our game plan.I was a bit baffled at the team sheet .cole ran at them aided by some great midfield displays and there defence was all at sea. They can't normally be bad they did win at lincoln

 
MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
28 October, 2018 16:39
I think we also need to give credit where credit's due. We had lots of fluidity in our play with some good passing, movement and link up play between midfield and forwards. Just as we've praised FGR and Lincoln previously for their interplay, that's the type of performance that should earn accolades rather than focusing on the frailties of the opposition; we did a job on them, full stop. Crawley are where they are on merit, just like us and are no mugs. If Lincoln, or anyone else challenging near the top, had come up with that result, we'd be like meerkats, sitting up, observant and nervous, taking it all in, warning each other of impending doom! Crawley didn't come and park the bus; enjoy folks!

 
Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
28 October, 2018 19:32
Quote:
aktrfc
Just shows how we all appear to see things different. For me Crawley were by probably the worst side I’ve see this season. Even Mac town had some shape about them. Crawley looked like they couldn’t defend if their life depended upon it. At the end of the game, I don’t think even 8 goals would of flattered us.

The worst team we have played were the team who beat us at PP-Newport County.

Crawley came to play decent football and going forward they did. It was just at the back that they weren't very good to put it mildly. But that was mostly down to how well we played apart from the first twenty five minutes.

 
DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
28 October, 2018 20:25
As for Norwood I just wish we had another profligate partner that could produce the same goal return as well bring so much energy to his game. Strikers are judged by how many they score not how many they miss. Many prolific strikers do little outside the box whereas Norwood brings so much more to the game.
We would be in serious trouble without him

 
Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
28 October, 2018 20:48
Quote:
DevonExile
As for Norwood I just wish we had another profligate partner that could produce the same goal return as well bring so much energy to his game. Strikers are judged by how many they score not how many they miss. Many prolific strikers do little outside the box whereas Norwood brings so much more to the game.
We would be in serious trouble without him

+1

 
jal jal
jal jal (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
28 October, 2018 21:41
I truly think you are doing well probably better than us did last season at this stage.

You have 3pts more than City had at the same stage 16 games.

Just at present we have got 2pts from the 9pts available in the last 3 games.

But all teams have bad patches I hope this was ours.

 
Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
28 October, 2018 23:52
Heh jal jal just wondered how Crawley played against you.I know they won but where they fortunate ?

 
aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
29 October, 2018 06:28
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
aktrfc
Just shows how we all appear to see things different. For me Crawley were by probably the worst side I’ve see this season. Even Mac town had some shape about them. Crawley looked like they couldn’t defend if their life depended upon it. At the end of the game, I don’t think even 8 goals would of flattered us.

The worst team we have played were the team who beat us at PP-Newport County.

Crawley came to play decent football and going forward they did. It was just at the back that they weren't very good to put it mildly. But that was mostly down to how well we played apart from the first twenty five minutes.

Ok, like I said we all have different views

 
Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
29 October, 2018 09:21
Quote:
aktrfc
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
aktrfc
Just shows how we all appear to see things different. For me Crawley were by probably the worst side I’ve see this season. Even Mac town had some shape about them. Crawley looked like they couldn’t defend if their life depended upon it. At the end of the game, I don’t think even 8 goals would of flattered us.

The worst team we have played were the team who beat us at PP-Newport County.

Crawley came to play decent football and going forward they did. It was just at the back that they weren't very good to put it mildly. But that was mostly down to how well we played apart from the first twenty five minutes.

Ok, like I said we all have different views

Agreed.

 
Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
29 October, 2018 09:21
Quote:
aktrfc
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
aktrfc
Just shows how we all appear to see things different. For me Crawley were by probably the worst side I’ve see this season. Even Mac town had some shape about them. Crawley looked like they couldn’t defend if their life depended upon it. At the end of the game, I don’t think even 8 goals would of flattered us.

The worst team we have played were the team who beat us at PP-Newport County.

Crawley came to play decent football and going forward they did. It was just at the back that they weren't very good to put it mildly. But that was mostly down to how well we played apart from the first twenty five minutes.

Ok, like I said we all have different views

Agreed.

 
jal jal
jal jal (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
29 October, 2018 12:26
Hi Loyden

They were a decent footballing side and played the ball about, and could have been 2 up before we got started but they missed those 2 easy chances.

Crawley were fortunate just before the interval, a cross came across our goal which was diverted by a Crawley player but going wide but then it hit Boswick and diverted in to the top corner of the net.
On 54 mins we went down to 10 men after Frecklinton was shown a Red for a 2 footed tackle which didn't connect but it was given for the intent.
From there it was mostly us as we seemed to play better with 10 but couldn't put the ball in the Crawley net.

Loyden I have added the match report from the Imps official site just incase it's explained better than I've just done.

[www.redimps.co.uk]

Cheers

 
Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
29 October, 2018 15:37
Thanks jal .they not as bad a team as some are saying

 
Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
29 October, 2018 16:38
Quote:
Loyden1
Thanks jal .they not as bad a team as some are saying

+1

 
tranmerepete
tranmerepete (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
30 October, 2018 07:19
They all looked fit players and moved the ball around well. We just played well and done a job on them.



Every ball is a white ball............TRFC

 
mogsy73
mogsy73 (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
30 October, 2018 07:44
Thought Mansfield were good, but Lincoln were excellent and were the best team I've seen so far, could have been 2-0 up in 5 minutes, and gave us a hammering in the first half. Mcnulty was excellent that game and kept us in it. We've had a few teams who have come with very little ambition, but Crawley were the most inept defensively I've seen so far

 
jal jal
jal jal (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
30 October, 2018 16:43
Hi Everyone What sort of team are Rovers putting out for tonights game against Man City U21.
Will it be a weakened team or are Rovers going for it.

 
Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
30 October, 2018 16:50
Quote:
jal jal
Hi Everyone What sort of team are Rovers putting out for tonights game against Man City U21.
Will it be a weakened team or are Rovers going for it.

If you bring your boots,you might get a game.smiling smiley

 
jal jal
jal jal (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
30 October, 2018 17:02
I asked because I'm in a prediction league & I initially put down Rovers to win 3-1 but I then read that they didn't qualify, so they are probably not going to risk their best players.
I'm probably more suited now to walking football. smiling smiley

 
MESSAGES->author
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
30 October, 2018 17:58
erm... anyone remember Supermac (Malcolm MacDonald) scoring 5 (FIVE) for England against Cyprus that time.... The profligate sod should have score 25. Here are the highlights:

[www.youtube.com]

In Nors we get much more than a goal scorer. His all around play of harrying and probing are invaluable.

However, any potential buyers should note that he couldn't hit a cow's 4rse with a banjo! winking smiley

 
Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
30 October, 2018 18:27
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
jal jal
Hi Everyone What sort of team are Rovers putting out for tonights game against Man City U21.
Will it be a weakened team or are Rovers going for it.

If you bring your boots,you might get a game.smiling smiley

Probably get away without boots, just a replica kit and deck chair to set up in midfield and watch the carnage, some of these 17 year olds will be earning more a season than Rovers entire yearly budget!!! Isn’t Jesus (Hey zoos is it pronounced) under 21 and at Man City, I know he won’t be playing obvs.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/10/2018 18:30 by Higgosboots.

 
jal jal
jal jal (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
30 October, 2018 20:54
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
jal jal
Hi Everyone What sort of team are Rovers putting out for tonights game against Man City U21.
Will it be a weakened team or are Rovers going for it.

If you bring your boots,you might get a game.smiling smiley

Probably get away without boots, just a replica kit and deck chair to set up in midfield and watch the carnage, some of these 17 year olds will be earning more a season than Rovers entire yearly budget!!! Isn’t Jesus (Hey zoos is it pronounced) under 21 and at Man City, I know he won’t be playing obvs.

Hi Higgosboots I'm not sure if he can play or not but this is what the Rule states

A number of minor rule changes have been confirmed for 2018/19 with EFL clubs now being given the opportunity to name players who are out on loan at National League clubs, whilst invited teams will only be able to name two players who are over the age of 21 and have made more than 40 first-team appearances.

So they can name 2 players over 21 who have made more than 40 Premiership appearances,
this could open it up for a few in the Man City Squad

 
Kentexile
Kentexile (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
30 October, 2018 23:16
Quote:
DevonExile
As for Norwood I just wish we had another profligate partner that could produce the same goal return as well bring so much energy to his game. Strikers are judged by how many they score not how many they miss. Many prolific strikers do little outside the box whereas Norwood brings so much more to the game.
We would be in serious trouble without him

Back to Norwood, I couldn't agree more with this post. He misses lots of chances because he always gets himself into goalscoring positions, and that's not by chance. No-one works harder than he does, he puts pressure on defenders and creates goals as well. In some of the truly horrible performances earlier last season he was the one player who always gave 110%.
We wouldn't be the same team without him and if you'd asked me if I'd rather have lost Cookie or Nors pre-season, for me it's a no-brainer.

 
Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
30 October, 2018 23:26
Quote:
Kentexile
Quote:
DevonExile
As for Norwood I just wish we had another profligate partner that could produce the same goal return as well bring so much energy to his game. Strikers are judged by how many they score not how many they miss. Many prolific strikers do little outside the box whereas Norwood brings so much more to the game.
We would be in serious trouble without him

Back to Norwood, I couldn't agree more with this post. He misses lots of chances because he always gets himself into goalscoring positions, and that's not by chance. No-one works harder than he does, he puts pressure on defenders and creates goals as well. In some of the truly horrible performances earlier last season he was the one player who always gave 110%.
We wouldn't be the same team without him and if you'd asked me if I'd rather have lost Cookie or Nors pre-season, for me it's a no-brainer.

+1

 
MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
03 November, 2018 17:54
Now 3 goals clear at the top of the League 2 top scorers chart.

 
rover87
rover87 (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
03 November, 2018 18:11
Got to do all we can to tie him down as soon as possible, been a credit to the club since he arrived and always gives 100% fingers crossed a new deal gets sorted sooner rather than later

 
paulbyron
paulbyron (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
03 November, 2018 19:15
thought today he was outstanding everything he did was excellent

 
warren r
Wozza (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
03 November, 2018 20:32
Who’s to say we haven’t offered him a contract but he him self is waiting to see what January brings for him

 
paulbyron
paulbyron (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
03 November, 2018 21:17
steward in the jk stand said Fleetwood very interested in james hopefully just a rumour

 
DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
03 November, 2018 23:35
Any club is likely to be interested in a top scorer with a tremendous engine.It doesn't mean that he will necessarily be interested in them.There is something engagingly old fashioned in Norwoods commitment to the club.He plays as though he loves being here and his own comments al, suggest that he likes having a home on the Wirral.The answer is in Rovers hands we should open contract talks sooner rather than later. There are posters who say that is a risk as he may get an injury. It is an argument that makes no sense for any player can be injured the day after signing a contract.We have offered contracts to players who already looked dodgy in terms of injury records.It is a much smaller risk to try to make an early extension to his contract.
Cooke always left the impression that he would go.Norwood in contrast seems to want to stay.I hope the club do not let this run to the wire.Norwood is pivotal to our prospects over the next couple of years

 
Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
03 November, 2018 23:40
Sit him down , offer him a deal he can't refuse , get it done before the end of the year . Simple !

 
Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
04 November, 2018 00:38
Ray Mathias has been scouting him for Bristol City for a while .but hasn't been to last two games thankfully

 
Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
04 November, 2018 00:38
Ray Mathias has been scouting him for Bristol City for a while .but hasn't been to last two games thankfully

 
Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
04 November, 2018 00:49
Quote:
DevonExile
Any club is likely to be interested in a top scorer with a tremendous engine.It doesn't mean that he will necessarily be interested in them.There is something engagingly old fashioned in Norwoods commitment to the club.He plays as though he loves being here and his own comments al, suggest that he likes having a home on the Wirral.The answer is in Rovers hands we should open contract talks sooner rather than later. There are posters who say that is a risk as he may get an injury. It is an argument that makes no sense for any player can be injured the day after signing a contract.We have offered contracts to players who already looked dodgy in terms of injury records.It is a much smaller risk to try to make an early extension to his contract.
Cooke always left the impression that he would go.Norwood in contrast seems to want to stay.I hope the club do not let this run to the wire.Norwood is pivotal to our prospects over the next couple of years
+1

 
MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
04 November, 2018 06:20
Quote:
paulbyron
steward in the jk stand said Fleetwood very interested in james hopefully just a rumour

Really hope thats not true..Hey Barton! Keep your horrible grubby little pinkies off him.

 
mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
04 November, 2018 08:36
Close to zero chance we keep Norwood.

He can get a contract elsewhere that will make a huge difference to his family's future and have a shot at a higher level. Age is not on his side.

Enjoy him whilst he's here, wish him all the best when he leaves

 
aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
04 November, 2018 08:48
He’s got himself a new agent last week, I’m lead to believe we have asked to op talks, but his new agent has advised against it for the time being. On a positive side, he feels happier here than he has at any club he’s been at.

 
Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
04 November, 2018 09:40
Quote:
aktrfc
He’s got himself a new agent last week, I’m lead to believe we have asked to op talks, but his new agent has advised against it for the time being. On a positive side, he feels happier here than he has at any club he’s been at.
Maybe his personal happiness may override a little of his desire for more money . Let's be honest if you enjoy your job it's worth 50% of your wages whatever job you do . Not everyone prays at the Church of the Big Dollar .

 
ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
04 November, 2018 11:27
Quote:
aktrfc
He’s got himself a new agent last week, I’m lead to believe we have asked to op talks, but his new agent has advised against it for the time being. On a positive side, he feels happier here than he has at any club he’s been at.
If true that he has switched agents then that for sure means the new agent will be touting him to L1 and maybe bottom half Champ clubs - not much fees for him if he resigns another contract!

 
TimmySoft
TimmySoft (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
04 November, 2018 11:36
I don’t think we can hold it against him if he wants to go! He’s been a legend here and the club owes him a hell of a lot, but if he can play at a higher level for more money then he would be a fool to turn it down. We’d miss him a lot but all good things come to an end

 
MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
04 November, 2018 17:31
However his agent could be sitting it out pending a final game May outcome. If Tranmere don't go up in 3rd or in the playoffs at least, does he tout him to league 1, championship, SPL and maybe abroad like Serie B or Segunda Liga, because he's not got a player under 26 who might be fine geting another 20% more at Tranmere with a shot at promotion next season, he's got someone who may miss the boat in terms of going higher if he stays for even 1 more season trying to help the club kick on towards a higher league.

A player may stay for emotional reasons and that's his perogative, because if Tranmere went up and suddenly he get's league 1 football and maybe 40% more money, or even a third more, then the agent may decide to say take the deal, rather than say consider it for the next 2 weeks and if a championship or SPL club comes along, sign for them at the right terms and if not sign Tranmere's offer.

Hopefully Norwood will stay beyond christmas at least, because Norwood would have to move to somewhere he felt would be a comfotable fit, something I feel Cook is perhaps realising was a flawed sentimnent in the case of Walsall, seeing as he might have believed the fit was comfortable in a way it might potentially no longer feel like it is.

Why would Norwood go somehwere else even to another league for a third more if he though he would regret it 3 months later and Tranmere got promoted anyway? Then he would know even if Tranmere might only be able to afford the same as he was getting in the higher league would it have been worth it by next August to move to an uncomfortable situation, purely for another £4,000 - £8,000 of earnings in that time, or whatever the initial difference would be, to thne be at a club paying no more than Tranmere could by then?

It might even be that the vague hints about a budget alteration later in the season, that Mellon eluded to in his pre-season comments about no oil at Tranmere come good and it could possibly be chinese investment in December / January time, in which case why sign now for 20% more, if in January he could get another 20% on top of that additional amount?

He is a key part of the season so far, but I don't seem him as so vital that without him it would be near impossible to go up and in some instances this season I've felt as if some players could perhaps take a little more responsibility for goal scoring, rather than possibly feeling like they can't have too many chances, otherwise thay might get told they are starving Norwood of the ball too much, because on occasion higher scoring games this season have not included Norwood, os how has the team score more when not being able to rely on Norwood to try and make something happen?.

Were he to leave and other players suddenly realised that player X or player Y hadn't enough skill and / or consistency to fill the void, would they then be more proactive in taking chances, rather than giving the ball away to one or two other players, because if Tranmere's goal average even went up by 1 or 2 more goals every 10 games, then not only would Noorwood not be missed too much, it may even look like a blessing in disguise he went, especially if goalscoring went up by 4-5 goals more per 10 games.

I recall this seemingly happening when Rooney left Everton years ago and reliance on goals was falling more to Marcus Bent, as then suddenly other players in that team seemed to be a little more brave in the number of chances they took, knowing Bent couldn't replace Rooney's goals enough, so they would have to be more positive about how often they shot.

That was my perception of things at the time and if some Tranmere players view Norwood as more of a banker for goals than anyone else and right now he is, then without him who would they look too to fill that void? Someone else or themsleves?



Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

 
Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
04 November, 2018 18:09
It would be great to keep him but let’s be honest it’s all about the doh isn’t it and so it should be. The lads 26 he isn’t retiring at 35 off a middle managment wage at Rovers, and he must surely maximise his income over the next 9 years or so. It’s no secret we are pourpers and lack financial clout, we can’t offer league 1 wages and match other clubs. All we can hope for is the new agent is stirring up trade for a summer move, he is in last 12 months of his contract and free to negotiate elsewhere, as a result I feel we will continue to see great things as he try’s to boost his closed season worth and net 40 goals. We owe him our return to EFL and hopefully League 1, good luck to him if he goes, he deserves it.

 
aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
04 November, 2018 18:43
If he did sign a contract, I’m sure there would be a clause in it, that if we didn’t get promoted he could leave. That way, we would at least get some money from it.

 
MESSAGES->author
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
04 November, 2018 19:27
To all potential suitors, this Norwood fellow couldn't score a one on one to save his life, he's like a headless chicken and a disruptive influence in the dressing room and, what's more, alienates the fans.... avoid!

 
MESSAGES->author
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
04 November, 2018 19:36
Oh and he's a walking, guaranteed, red card. It's your money, spend it wisely on someone like Nile Ranger instead. Thank me later!

 
MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
04 November, 2018 20:55
Quote:
Uglybob
Quote:
aktrfc
He’s got himself a new agent last week, I’m lead to believe we have asked to op talks, but his new agent has advised against it for the time being. On a positive side, he feels happier here than he has at any club he’s been at.
Maybe his personal happiness may override a little of his desire for more money . Let's be honest if you enjoy your job it's worth 50% of your wages whatever job you do . Not everyone prays at the Church of the Big Dollar .

Amen to that Uglybob!

 
MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
04 November, 2018 22:39
Nile Ranger sounds like someone who wanders up and down a long river trying to apprehend poachers.



Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

 
kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
04 November, 2018 23:48
Enjoy while we can like we did with Roy McFarland, Steve Vickers Kenny Irons , Alan Mahon, Jason Koumas etc etc. We find them they delight us they move on. Then we sign another gem.

 
MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
05 November, 2018 01:22
Quote:
Matt34
However his agent could be sitting it out pending a final game May outcome. If Tranmere don't go up in 3rd or in the playoffs at least, does he tout him to league 1, championship, SPL and maybe abroad like Serie B or Segunda Liga, because he's not got a player under 26 who might be fine geting another 20% more at Tranmere with a shot at promotion next season, he's got someone who may miss the boat in terms of going higher if he stays for even 1 more season trying to help the club kick on towards a higher league.
A player may stay for emotional reasons and that's his perogative, because if Tranmere went up and suddenly he get's league 1 football and maybe 40% more money, or even a third more, then the agent may decide to say take the deal, rather than say consider it for the next 2 weeks and if a championship or SPL club comes along, sign for them at the right terms and if not sign Tranmere's offer.

Hopefully Norwood will stay beyond christmas at least, because Norwood would have to move to somewhere he felt would be a comfotable fit, something I feel Cook is perhaps realising was a flawed sentimnent in the case of Walsall, seeing as he might have believed the fit was comfortable in a way it might potentially no longer feel like it is.

Why would Norwood go somehwere else even to another league for a third more if he though he would regret it 3 months later and Tranmere got promoted anyway? Then he would know even if Tranmere might only be able to afford the same as he was getting in the higher league would it have been worth it by next August to move to an uncomfortable situation, purely for another £4,000 - £8,000 of earnings in that time, or whatever the initial difference would be, to thne be at a club paying no more than Tranmere could by then?

It might even be that the vague hints about a budget alteration later in the season, that Mellon eluded to in his pre-season comments about no oil at Tranmere come good and it could possibly be chinese investment in December / January time, in which case why sign now for 20% more, if in January he could get another 20% on top of that additional amount?

He is a key part of the season so far, but I don't seem him as so vital that without him it would be near impossible to go up and in some instances this season I've felt as if some players could perhaps take a little more responsibility for goal scoring, rather than possibly feeling like they can't have too many chances, otherwise thay might get told they are starving Norwood of the ball too much, because on occasion higher scoring games this season have not included Norwood, os how has the team score more when not being able to rely on Norwood to try and make something happen?.

Were he to leave and other players suddenly realised that player X or player Y hadn't enough skill and / or consistency to fill the void, would they then be more proactive in taking chances, rather than giving the ball away to one or two other players, because if Tranmere's goal average even went up by 1 or 2 more goals every 10 games, then not only would Noorwood not be missed too much, it may even look like a blessing in disguise he went, especially if goalscoring went up by 4-5 goals more per 10 games.

I recall this seemingly happening when Rooney left Everton years ago and reliance on goals was falling more to Marcus Bent, as then suddenly other players in that team seemed to be a little more brave in the number of chances they took, knowing Bent couldn't replace Rooney's goals enough, so they would have to be more positive about how often they shot.

That was my perception of things at the time and if some Tranmere players view Norwood as more of a banker for goals than anyone else and right now he is, then without him who would they look too to fill that void? Someone else or themsleves?

Blimey Matt! By the time I'd finished reading that my morning coffee had gone cold.

 
WirralWonders
WirralWonders (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
05 November, 2018 07:58
It is a bit long isn't it.

 
DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
07 November, 2018 09:35
To replace Norwood could be more expensive than the cost of retaining him.A good offer now to a player who seems happy here may be more tempting than waiting for a hypothetical offer later.it is for the club to take the iniative.We have not adequately replaced Cooke and Norwood offers even more and so doubly hard to replace

 
MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
07 November, 2018 21:37
I'm not 100% convinced he offers more over Cook, because we will never know what amount of goals he and Cook might have scored by the end of this season, if Cook had stayed and there could be a season long comparison.

What if Cook ended up getting 3-4 more goals than Norwood, would Norwood be seen as the better player or not?

Norwood would be hard but perhaps not impossible to replace and if as said before other players could step up their goalscoring, he might not even be missed.

However a good offer could allow strengthening on different areas of the pitch for the next 4-5 seasons, so players adding an extra 1-2 points of season long achievement potential, could come in and make up for what he was no longer adding.



Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

 
aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
08 November, 2018 06:28
Could Nors do a job in league 1, we don’t know yet, but it has to be worth a risk. If we don’t go up this season, then we know for a fact he can do the job at this level. For me it’s more important to tie him down in case we don’t get up. At least that way, if a higher club wants him, they have to pay and I’d be happy for him to better himself with higher level football. Just put pen to paper Nors.

 
Claytonne&Clark
Claytonne&Clark (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
08 November, 2018 11:17
I've no insider information, but just by looking at the social media from the club it does seem like there is a lot of effort to make him feel loved here. So much of it is focused on him - possibly from him being a big influence in the dressing room, but certainly also from trying to keep him loyal. It might not sound much, but hopefully he'd prefer to be the big player at Tranmere than just another player elsewhere. I suspect he's looking at Cook's move, and feeling quite glad it wasn't him who went to Walsall.

If I was Palios I'd be sitting him down with Ian Muir sometime soon. Muir was excellent in this division, and must have had opportunities to move on, but will be remembered fondly as the great goalscorer who took us from the brink of the Conference to the Championship. If Muir is looking back on his career and feeling happier than if he went to a Birmingham-type team earlier, then we want Norwood to feel he could be the star of our next journey.

 
paulbyron
paulbyron (IP Logged)

Re: James Norwood
08 November, 2018 13:05
I remember during the close season when a few strikers were available and micky stressed the spirit in the dressing room was crucial 2 come to mind miller & ferrier I know we made a bid at the time for ferrier and I wonder if him & cookie in the same dressing room could have something to do with the rumours of him being unsettled as for miller he seems a bit of a loose cannon, james knows how high he,s thought of here we just have to keep hoping he stays


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net
 

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?