football
Latest News:

the baldy one
the baldy one (IP Logged)

totally unacceptable
24 October, 2018 11:35
the last 2 games against Yeovil town and forest green rovers have been the worst performances for a few years. infact if it continues I would drop all 11 players and play the stiffs for a few games. in the last 2 games it was quite clear we could not score even if we were in a house full of swingers. we still rely to much on james norwood, and until we replace andy cook we are going to struggle to kill teams off. paul mullin has still not settled in properly, cole Stockton is in and out of the team and we are lacking goals.

Uptonrover
Uptonrover (IP Logged)

Re: totally unacceptable
24 October, 2018 12:32
Clear we cant score in the last two games? Pretty sure Mullin got a goal last night? I too feel its completely unacceptable we sit seventh 3 months into our return to league football.

paulbyron
paulbyron (IP Logged)

24 October, 2018 14:06
I agree after the solid start the last 2 results have been a bit of a reality check but surely no need to go overboard at this stage

Claytonne&Clark
Claytonne&Clark (IP Logged)

24 October, 2018 14:50
As a general rule I always think the longer the trip the less likely we'll perform. If you are asking players to perform after a long coach journey they won't have the same spark - I couldn't sit on a coach from Birkenhead to Gloucestershire and then work to the same standard I would in my office.

When overnight trips are needed it adds a different problem - the loss of the routine from the night before. For Premiership sides it doesn't matter as they often have overnight trips and build a routine around it. But for clubs who have few I would imagine the results are worst than for more local matches.

I would love to some data on how away sides do if the trip is: less than two hours; two to four hours; or four hours plus. I suspect the results, and performances, will always be weaker the further the trip.

So I'd say the fixture list gave Forest Green a straight-forward evening last night - going up and down the motorway multiple times between quite close fixtures is awful preparation.

We've got two long trips out of the way now. In our next 5 and a half games (Man City Reserves isn't a proper match), our only away trip is to Crewe - that's a good time for us to get into a routine.

Only 2 of our next 14 games are outside the North West (the FA Cup could change that). From now until the 2nd week of January our three longest trips are to Grimsby, Notts County and Bury (or Macclesfield, whichever is further).

mill park white
mill park white (IP Logged)

24 October, 2018 17:07
Ridiculous and depressing post. So far this season we have exceeded my expectations, which was to consolidate mid-table.
We are in the play-off places, playing well (with a few exceptions) and the SWA is right behind the team. Good times ahead. Get a grip on reality Baldy!

coltran
coltran (IP Logged)

24 October, 2018 17:23
Quote:
mill park white
Ridiculous and depressing post. So far this season we have exceeded my expectations, which was to consolidate mid-table.
We are in the play-off places, playing well (with a few exceptions) and the SWA is right behind the team. Good times ahead. Get a grip on reality Baldy!
Fully agree with mill park white

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

24 October, 2018 17:27
Quote:
coltran
Quote:
mill park white
Fully agree with mill park white
agree it's just baldy beeing baldy

jal jal
jal jal (IP Logged)

24 October, 2018 18:19
Don't think you're the only ones that were dreadful Lincoln were bad lastnight although Carlisle probably had their best game.
So our last 2 games were at home and we've made 2 draws even though we played 80 mins in the first of the 2 games with 10 players after our 17year old midfielder got a straight Red.
All teams go through these bad patches sometime in the season, but it's better to have them at the beginning and not the end of the season.
Keep collecting points while you are not playing well is the answer even if they are only a single point a game.
You are still in 7th place 6 pts off 2nd & 5 off 3rd for instant promotion there's a long way to go yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/10/2018 18:40 by jal jal.

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

24 October, 2018 18:41
I can see were baldy is coming from. Every fan has his or her own feelings towards each game. We haven’t exceeded my expectations, I expected us to be up there, MP expects us to be up there. Why do fans think we shouldn’t, when even the chairman thinks we should. There is no way even MP would have thought we would only come away from the last 2 game with 1 point.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

24 October, 2018 20:50
I think the Baldy one has a point ,it’s a ongoing topic that we need another goal scorer it’s impossible for Norwood to score every game and when he has a lean spell we drop points because apart from Smith and Gilmore chipping in now and then.there is no one else if we had taken our chances last 2games we could of and should have taken 4pts .without Norwood and Cook we would still be in the NL but despite Cook Leaving nothing has been successful in finding another goal scorer .we have conceded 12goals in the last 3away games ,you can’t make an excuse for the Shrewsbury game ,most selected had played for the first team so no excuse for the performance ,if we go 2goals down it’s difficult to come back if Norwood is off form as he is at the moment super player ,works hard for the team ,but he needs someone to take the pressure off him, we are going well but if help is not forthcoming or Norwood gets a bad injury things could change drastically.we are not as good as as people are making out ,to many defensive errors especially on set pieces ,the ship is being spoilt for a hapeth of tar as the saying goes ,in this case a goal scorer

Kentexile
Kentexile (IP Logged)

24 October, 2018 23:04
No need to go over the top, there was always going to be the odd poor game and of course there'll be a few more - even last season we had games like that. Let's keep some perspective, a top half finish would be a great first season back.

I do agree though that we rely too heavily on Norwood. Can't fault him, as no-one works harder than he does and there's only one player in all of League 2 who's scored more than he has.

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

24 October, 2018 23:13
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
I think the Baldy one has a point ,it’s a ongoing topic that we need another goal scorer it’s impossible for Norwood to score every game and when he has a lean spell we drop points because apart from Smith and Gilmore chipping in now and then.there is no one else if we had taken our chances last 2games we could of and should have taken 4pts .without Norwood and Cook we would still be in the NL but despite Cook Leaving nothing has been successful in finding another goal scorer .we have conceded 12goals in the last 3away games ,you can’t make an excuse for the Shrewsbury game ,most selected had played for the first team so no excuse for the performance ,if we go 2goals down it’s difficult to come back if Norwood is off form as he is at the moment super player ,works hard for the team ,but he needs someone to take the pressure off him, we are going well but if help is not forthcoming or Norwood gets a bad injury things could change drastically.we are not as good as as people are making out ,to many defensive errors especially on set pieces ,the ship is being spoilt for a hapeth of tar as the saying goes ,in this case a goal scorer
Plus one other concern Norwood has looked distinctly unimpressed in the last 2 games. True he has missed chances but I think he is not liking how we are setting up - MM needs to ensure he stays committed - the last thing we need is Norwood frustrated and then angling for a move in January!!

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

25 October, 2018 09:15
Disappointing that we have lost in Tuesday's match also only drew in the other away match last Saturday,but any poor performance in these games are a long way off such matches like getting beat at home to Welling in that pub league.

Yes the team needs to step up and start scoring goals and win again but neither of these let downs reach the depths of that Welling game and others in those three years out of the Football League, onwards and upwards.

paulbyron
paulbyron (IP Logged)

25 October, 2018 11:29
a big iff but 3 points at Yeovil which was to me a more winnable game & I don't think we would have had the same reaction after the fgr game do we stick with 5 in the middle or push someone up to support nors ? some decisions for MM to ponder

Claytonne&Clark
Claytonne&Clark (IP Logged)

25 October, 2018 12:05
Our current form is 10 points from 5 games - I would have taken that from any run of fixtures at the start of the season. The current runs includes games against the leaders and the side in 6th place.

Even if you look at form over the last 4 games, that would be good enough for 80+ points over the course of a season. Losing matches and runs of 1 point from 2 games is the sort of form that teams who make the play-offs go through several times during the season. The last 2 matches might have us questioning if we win the title, but aren't showing any reason for us to not make the play-offs.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

25 October, 2018 13:04
All that is true ,but if we lose Norwood for one reason or another ,we are in trouble .to stand a chance of promotion not just survive the season we need someone who can get goals .even Mr Magoo can see this

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

25 October, 2018 14:00
I'd agree with you 50 but if we were to look solely on stats and results then the 2 games that Nors has missed we scored 7 goals.

When Cole is back and Nors is reaping the benefits of playing alongside him and the only quarms that some have are Cole (for whatever reason) then we'll be doing alright.

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

25 October, 2018 14:05
Buxton and zoom and banks missing so been temporarily wobble

davep63
davep63 (IP Logged)

25 October, 2018 18:11
Quote:
Claytonne&Clark
As a general rule I always think the longer the trip the less likely we'll perform. If you are asking players to perform after a long coach journey they won't have the same spark - I couldn't sit on a coach from Birkenhead to Gloucestershire and then work to the same standard I would in my office.
When overnight trips are needed it adds a different problem - the loss of the routine from the night before. For Premiership sides it doesn't matter as they often have overnight trips and build a routine around it. But for clubs who have few I would imagine the results are worst than for more local matches.

I would love to some data on how away sides do if the trip is: less than two hours; two to four hours; or four hours plus. I suspect the results, and performances, will always be weaker the further the trip.

So I'd say the fixture list gave Forest Green a straight-forward evening last night - going up and down the motorway multiple times between quite close fixtures is awful preparation.

We've got two long trips out of the way now. In our next 5 and a half games (Man City Reserves isn't a proper match), our only away trip is to Crewe - that's a good time for us to get into a routine.

Only 2 of our next 14 games are outside the North West (the FA Cup could change that). From now until the 2nd week of January our three longest trips are to Grimsby, Notts County and Bury (or Macclesfield, whichever is further).
No offence but I just don't agree with your first paragraph, many a time I have done a three hr plus drive and then put a full shift in its not as though the players had to jog down they are on a coach watching there ipads or listening to there mp3 players it was just a bad game that's all, we will travel further distances to games and win them. SWA

MESSAGES->author
2 the moon (IP Logged)

25 October, 2018 18:36
A lot of FGR fans and their manager reckon we're the best they've faced so far, i agree the performance was below par but we had the chances to get something against a good side.
Carlisle apart we've not won a league game by more than one goal and not scored more than one at home. I personally always think stats like that catch up with you eventually

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

25 October, 2018 18:53
FGR's awareness, passing and movement was of a high standard in the first half and they looked a far better side than the one I remember in the National. Yes, we weren't on top of our own game but the quality of opponent was a factor. Disappointing night for sure but no need to be too downhearted - we're still acclimatising to the consistency needed in this league and still a work in progress in terms of building a squad to compete at the very top of it.

Kentexile
Kentexile (IP Logged)

25 October, 2018 19:19
I also don't agree with the distance theory. When I look at the 4 games last season down here in Kent, at Bromley, Ebbsfleet,Dover and Maidstone, these are about as far as we travelled last season (except maybe Torquay, and we drew there) yet we won 3 drew 1. None of the 4 were great performances but only 1 was truly dire, the draw at Ebbsfleet and that was with 10 men. The 4-0 at Dagenham the wrong sjde of London was an outstanding second half, again probably a longer trip than FGR ..
Then look at this season, Swindon, Stevenage, MK Dons all long trips but very decent performances (at least when we had 11 men), Northampton an off-day but overall the pattern is not much different to our home form.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/10/2018 19:45 by Kentexile.

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

25 October, 2018 21:43
Panic and knee-jerk reactions are not at all helpful. The Yeovil and FGR games were a little disappointing in terms of results, I was at both, and the Yeovil game, was quite a stale game all round both teams appeared to set up deep and not risk conceding a goal. The FGR game was different, for sure FGR are a useful team, but although they were probably the better team and at times overran the midfield, they got a breakaway goal (that Gilmore should have dealt with early in the move) and a lucky rebound goal after a saved penalty, the third I discount because we were pushing hard for an equalizer. We had good chances for Norwood and Harris that were well saved, on another day we'd have got something from the game. The issue at the moment is that we have a lot of players either missing or out of position. The 5 man midfield is isolating Norwood and he desperately needs someone along side him or supporting from midfield. I don't think Baldy's suggestion to drop all 11 players is viable, the players were all putting in the effort, its just for one reason or another it wasn't jelling. From what I saw at FGR, it may be time to give Cole a start and maybe Tollitt.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

25 October, 2018 22:24
Quote:
Cybertron
I don't think Baldy's suggestion to drop all 11 players is viable

I disagree, I don't think any of Baldy's suggestions are viable smiling smiley

For those not happy, we could've been looking at playing Fylde or Wrexham this Xmas/ New year period but instead we're in the league above and giving it a bloody good go at it too!

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

25 October, 2018 22:28
Correct ross

shankstheman
shankstheman (IP Logged)

26 October, 2018 09:28
Quote:
Kentexile
I also don't agree with the distance theory. When I look at the 4 games last season down here in Kent, at Bromley, Ebbsfleet,Dover and Maidstone, these are about as far as we travelled last season (except maybe Torquay, and we drew there) yet we won 3 drew 1. None of the 4 were great performances but only 1 was truly dire, the draw at Ebbsfleet and that was with 10 men. The 4-0 at Dagenham the wrong sjde of London was an outstanding second half, again probably a longer trip than FGR ..
Then look at this season, Swindon, Stevenage, MK Dons all long trips but very decent performances (at least when we had 11 men), Northampton an off-day but overall the pattern is not much different to our home form.

I'm not a Stato with regards who we played and when we played them but what I do know is that we travelled to Yeovil Saturday and 3 days later travelled to FGR, clocking up nearly a days worth of travel in 4 days. Surely not a good warm up for any game, physically or mentally

Prenton Pirate
Prenton Pirate (IP Logged)

26 October, 2018 14:08
We do struggle to score, we also struggle to keep possession, allowing teams to come onto us. I noticed Larnell Cole moved more central late on, v forest Green. That might be something worth percevering with, as Cole is a fairly intelligent player who can spot a pass.Overall I,m pretty happy with the start we've made, there will be blips along the way, Forest Green struggled last season.I don't get the negativity, if we'd been offered this position' we would have snapped it up.

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

26 October, 2018 14:18
Quote:
Prenton Pirate
We do struggle to score, we also struggle to keep possession, allowing teams to come onto us. I noticed Larnell Cole moved more central late on, v forest Green. That might be something worth percevering with, as Cole is a fairly intelligent player who can spot a pass.Overall I,m pretty happy with the start we've made, there will be blips along the way, Forest Green struggled last season.I don't get the negativity, if we'd been offered this position' we would have snapped it up.
PP - there is a difference between negativity and comment/ criticism though. Yes most of us would be happy to be in the position we are now before a ball was kicked BUT we started great and as such expectations change. Neither me nor the others who are accused of being negative expect us to win every game but we can comment on formation/ poor play etc. without being negative. We all have different views but I think we were poor against Macclesfield/ poor against Yeovil and outplayed by FGR in the first half and ultimately well beaten. None of that is negative just a fan concerned that after our good start we seem to be now struggling a bit either because of injuries/ set up or because the other sides have worked us out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net