football
Latest News:

nwindsor
NickNotTheGreek (IP Logged)

Friday night football
09 October, 2018 20:24
Why have Tranmere chosen a weekend when no premier league matches are being played to play their match on Friday night? It’s not even being televised. Also, England are playing at same time. Big gate opportunity missed there.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

Re: Friday night football
09 October, 2018 21:13
The SWA army will turn up as usual who wants to watch England ,l reckon about 5,500

Yardleys Cat
Yardleys Cat (IP Logged)

10 October, 2018 08:30
Lots of people want to watch England, me included. Will take Rovers over England but would have been nice to have the opportunity to see both games over the weekend. Must admit, really don’t understand the logic in this kick off time switch.

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

10 October, 2018 09:53
Quote:
Yardleys Cat
Lots of people want to watch England, me included. Will take Rovers over England but would have been nice to have the opportunity to see both games over the weekend. Must admit, really don’t understand the logic in this kick off time switch.
yes England should have more sense !

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

10 October, 2018 09:59
Didn't even know England were playing. Hardly even watched them in the world cup

mill park white
mill park white (IP Logged)

10 October, 2018 10:05
Agree with Hardly. I didn't clock England were playing, and not that bothered in any case. This new confusing cup is their equivalent of the Checkatrade.
I for one am pleased Friday night football is back. Clock off work, few pints in the Sportsmans, watch the match with a good atmosphere, 3 points before others have played, and then weekend free. Happy days.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

10 October, 2018 11:10
Quote:
mill park white
I for one am pleased Friday night football is back. Clock off work, few pints in the Sportsmans, watch the match with a good atmosphere, 3 points before others have played, and then weekend free. Happy days.

I cried reading that, beautiful

Claytonne&Clark
Claytonne&Clark (IP Logged)

10 October, 2018 11:11
League Two over Nations League any day.

Friday matches have to be agreed with the visiting club - so maybe Macclesfield were one of the few who said yes. We can't force teams to play on a Friday, so creating games when we have the chance makes sense.

roversoffspring
roversoffspring (IP Logged)

10 October, 2018 12:15
Mill Park..Beautiful sentiments mate! that's why its on a Friday under the lights! SWA

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

10 October, 2018 16:30
The England game is behind closed doors so to speak. Croatia have been punished for bad behaviour of fans. So even if it is televised it will lack atmosphere. Still, it will mean Sterling won't be booed lol. I will watch Tranmere anyway. The one or two goals (if at all) in the England match can be seen in highlights if I want to see them.

Isn't it the case that the Friday night games are only with teams who agreed to it, in which case there wasn't much option as to which weekends.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2018 16:32 by 853OKG.

Jimsteel
Jimsteel (IP Logged)

10 October, 2018 17:21
It's great to see the return of Friday night football. It brings back fond memories when I was a teenager watching the then 4th division Rovers on the rise through the divisions. A few cans of cider or whatever on the walk down,... Yozza Hughes in defence Jimmy Harvey deadly from set pieces, Morrisey roasting defenders down the wing planting crosses onto Jim Steel's head for a guaranteed goal, walk round to Kop side at half time...

Hopefully this is the start of a new era of Friday night fortress prenton Park. I am a little worried about the Silk men though. A number of omens are troubling me.
1. Last season we played them at home we had so much to gain and it was so depressing to lose in the manner we did. Again we are 7th in the play offs and another 3pts really puts us in the mix.
2. The Silkmen have now failed to win in 35 consecutive league games the record proudly being held by Derby of 36.
3. The risk they have their tails up with the sacking of Mark Yates.

But all being said they are a shadow of the team that won the VNL last year and we are a much improved team from last season (even without Cookie). I'm glad Elliot Durrel is injured he was a major nuisance last time.

If the SWA get behind the team with the same ferocity and hostility as Lincoln we should have no worries. You can't prepare any team for that environment and we are probably the envy of all league 2 teams for our fantastic support.

Same again please SWA let's make the 12th man a factor and cheer them over the line. Time to reap revenge for last season!!!!!

Ubi fides ibi lux et robur

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2018 17:35 by Jimsteel.

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

10 October, 2018 19:41
Available on I follow, trying to get from Mac to here at rush hour on a Friday, m6, England on tv. What were they thinking. I think we would of had at least 1k more if it was on a Saturday. Bad business sense. Things like this make me wonder if all’s as it seems.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

10 October, 2018 20:34
Quote:
aktrfc
Available on I follow, trying to get from Mac to here at rush hour on a Friday, m6, England on tv. What were they thinking. I think we would of had at least 1k more if it was on a Saturday. Bad business sense. Things like this make me wonder if all’s as it seems.

You don't go anywhere near the M6 to get from Macclesfield to Birkenhead.

jim rockford
jim rockford (IP Logged)

10 October, 2018 21:22
The weather forecast for Friday is horrendous heavy rain and gale force winds most of the day could even see this game being off even if its on will effect the attendance.

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

11 October, 2018 06:18
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
aktrfc

Over the cat and fiddle and onto m6 at knutsford, if you don’t you go though wilmslow and on a Friday evening would take hours. I suggest you have a look on google maps. I drive this route regularly and will be doing in this Friday also. If you know a better way, let me know as I’ve been doing it for years and it’s the fastest route, but still very slow on a Friday. Plus you have the roadworks on the m6 and at Preston Brooke on the 56.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

11 October, 2018 08:07
Quote:
aktrfc
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
aktrfc

Over the cat and fiddle and onto m6 at knutsford, if you don’t you go though wilmslow and on a Friday evening would take hours. I suggest you have a look on google maps. I drive this route regularly and will be doing in this Friday also. If you know a better way, let me know as I’ve been doing it for years and it’s the fastest route, but still very slow on a Friday. Plus you have the roadworks on the m6 and at Preston Brooke on the 56.

The cat and fiddle is Buxton to Macclesfield not Macc to Birkenhead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2018 08:10 by Hoots Mon.

nwindsor

11 October, 2018 11:42
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
aktrfc
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
aktrfc

The cat and fiddle is Buxton to Macclesfield not Macc to Birkenhead.

To quote the late great Mrs. Merton, "Let's have a heated debate!"

[www.google.co.uk]

andyc209
andyc209 (IP Logged)

11 October, 2018 12:58
as a Tranmere fan who lives 10 minutes from Macc ground there are multiple routes to the Wirral - take them most weeks.

Out to Knutsford on Chelford Road then take the M6, M56 and M53 - which on a Friday is rubbish

Or go Wilmslow, past the airport onto M56 so avoiding the M6

Or head to Knutsford then take the Delamere Forest road (A556) towards Chester then up the M53

Or take the same A556 but turn up at A559 onto the M56 (fastest route if M6 is stuffed)

case Closed!

Fiftyyearsarover

11 October, 2018 13:14
From Macc follow to Holmes chapel Over m6 jct 18 middlewich ,winsford ,Chester ,come onto motorway m53 at vicars cross 👍

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

11 October, 2018 13:44
The best thing to come out of Macc is the most politically incorrect rock band of all time, the one and only 'Macc Lads'.. Bollox to their footy team, their silk museum and Ian Curtis and Joy Division.. The Macc Lads are what its all about...BEER N SEX AND CHIPS N GRAVY, KNUTSFORD SCABBY WOMEN, SWEATY BETTY and NEWCY BROWN.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2018 13:53 by hong kong rover.

Fiftyyearsarover

11 October, 2018 14:31
I used to go to a transport cafe knicknamed sweaty Betty’s made the most wonderful spam and tomato on toast sandwich it could have been the day job for The band that HKR is talking about 👍

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

11 October, 2018 14:55
[www.tranmererovers.co.uk]

Beggars can't be choosers as they say. Only two clubs agreed to Friday night football. So don't expect a full return. As for the clash with England, I am not convinced the international schedule had been generated at the time of the decision to switch days.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

11 October, 2018 15:17
friday night football is in our blood.

if you dont like it or would rather watch a complete dullard like harry kane bore you to tears over a resugant james norwood then i dont know what to suggest; supporting MK dons or FGR is probably more up your street. these are the same people who dont feel emotion at the end of rocky V and they probably think ed sheeran is the new dylan.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

11 October, 2018 15:41
Quote:
Claytonne&Clark
League Two over Nations League any day.
Friday matches have to be agreed with the visiting club - so maybe Macclesfield were one of the few who said yes. We can't force teams to play on a Friday, so creating games when we have the chance makes sense.

One of only two....

Fiftyyearsarover

11 October, 2018 16:04
Friday night football apart from the odd games are not coming back ,our departure from Friday night football if I remember had something to do with the old football pools ,I might be wrong but it’s at the back of my mind somewhere.and as you guys say ,both teams have to agree and not many fancy their chances under the lights at PP

nwindsor

12 October, 2018 20:30
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
The SWA army will turn up as usual who wants to watch England ,l reckon about 5,500

6,797 with only 281 from Macclesfield.
Good turnout that.

What do I know.

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

12 October, 2018 20:52
Quote:
mrGr33n13
friday night football is in our blood.
if you dont like it or would rather watch a complete dullard like harry kane bore you to tears over a resugant james norwood then i dont know what to suggest; supporting MK dons or FGR is probably more up your street. these are the same people who dont feel emotion at the end of rocky V and they probably think ed sheeran is the new dylan.

I nearly reported this post for mentioning Rocky V. I hope you mean Rocky IV.

Kentexile
Kentexile (IP Logged)

12 October, 2018 21:02
Quote:
NickNotTheGreek
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover

6,797 with only 281 from Macclesfield.
Good turnout that.

What do I know.

Yep.. I think that vindicates the Palios' enthusiasm for Friday night footbal!

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

12 October, 2018 21:40
lovely night

boss crowd, rain framing the floodlights and a great win.

some old schoolers in the paddock giving it hell for leather all game - including a lovely eurythmics rendition inc falsetto.

another ebulliant celebration by gilmour. he plays with all the maturity in the world and celebrates like a 19 year old who's just smashed a winner in front of 6500 swa on a friday night. good lad.

macc's "champione" chant getting bested by the "who the fk are tranmere rovers" at the end.

another mellon fist bump to crown the night

nice weekend off.

hail hail

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

12 October, 2018 22:23
Yeah fantastic back in the league on a Friday night

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net