football
Latest News:
 

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

Mk Dons
28 September, 2018 07:32
Being positive doesn’t guarantee results as Newport game shows ,we have done well so far and now the honeymoon is over ,this is going to be a real tough month with Mk Dons, Lincoln city and FGR to come ,we are not getting enough goals ,we don’t concede many thankfully but goals get points .last weeks defeat dropped us 6 places that’s how easy it is to fall .so I expect us to lose at Mk Dons 0-2 they are a very good side and I expect the same against Lincoln city on Tuesday I have a feeling it’s going to be a bad week .i can only say what I think so I await the baying mob at my door ,

 
AndyMase
AndyMase (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
28 September, 2018 07:34
Not unrealistic, 2 draws would be good week

 
rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
28 September, 2018 08:19
Would take 2 draws also.

May sound sadistic but I wouldn’t be too disheartened by 2 defeats, just aslong as we’re making chances and looking competitive ourselves.

My journey starts tonight after work back to the Wirral and then onto MK tomorrow. Take a draw but we could either be blown out of the water after them not making the start they’d hoped for or we could sneak a cheeky win.

Still just happy to be in the league!

 
jonesy792
jonesy792 (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
28 September, 2018 08:46
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
Being positive doesn’t guarantee results as Newport game shows ,we have done well so far and now the honeymoon is over ,this is going to be a real tough month with Mk Dons, Lincoln city and FGR to come ,we are not getting enough goals ,we don’t concede many thankfully but goals get points .last weeks defeat dropped us 6 places that’s how easy it is to fall .so I expect us to lose at Mk Dons 0-2 they are a very good side and I expect the same against Lincoln
city on Tuesday I have a feeling it’s going to be a bad week .i can only say what I think so I await the baying mob at my door ,

A very realistic assessment. Can’t argue with that. Unless we start putting the ball in the back of the net, it’s going to be a gruelling season

 
TimmySoft
TimmySoft (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
28 September, 2018 10:22
We can beat these guys, any one can beat anyone in this league, we’ve just got to stay tight and ride our luck a bit.

 
Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
28 September, 2018 11:59
Always get bad feelings for mk, I'm going to go for a 2-0 loss this time.

 
Kentexile
Kentexile (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
28 September, 2018 14:44
Quite right. Looking forward to tomorrow, my first visit to MK Dons. I'll be happy with a decent performance, but not expecting points. 1 point from next 2 games would be OK.

 
DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
28 September, 2018 16:14
I am with 50 our lack of firepower is going to be most exposed by the better teams. I think the gaps between most teams is quite small and it is the over dependency on one player to score which makes me feel that we will fall outside the front runners. In essence we are one quality player short.
I would still settle for mid table but it is frustrating to have to operate with this gap.
The comfort is that there are several teams that really do look poorer than others so we should not slip into serious trouble

 
MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
28 September, 2018 16:28
Ironically, I'm taking someone to tomorrow's game who's originally from Milton Keynes, until he recently moved to the Wirral. He's also a Watford supporter, but will be cheering on the Rovers tomorrow. The plan is for him to show us the delights of MK (we'll give ourselves a good hour to sample them!). My sons even sacrificing his own football to come along and he's looking forward to visiting a modern stadium. So come on Rovers, do us proud. I believe we are capable of a victory, but get a sneaky feeling we'll grab a 1-1. Usually when I bring a guest along we're dire, so here's hoping that hoodoo is put to bed, otherwise my southern guest might be making his own way home as I'm a sore loser and it'll be all his fault!

 
Re: Mk Dons
28 September, 2018 16:38
Anybody remember the away game at MK when they still played at the National Hockey Stadium? I think it was McAteer's final season with us. It stayed 0-0 til 90 mins, then we got an OG off a Jason Mac free kick, Izale Mcleod equalised (he always scored against us) then , improbably, Delroy Facey wriggled through their defence and scored the winner. 3 goals in about 5 minutes, fantastic, and it sealed their relegation to L2 that season as well.

Same again, please, boys!

 
Claytonne&Clark
Claytonne&Clark (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
28 September, 2018 16:46
I can't help but feel the next four league games are very important for us. We could well lose the next two games - and three defeats in a row could bring about the sort of negativity we've finally got rid of.

The following two games are against Morecambe and Macclesfield, two of the weakest sides in the league. If we do lose the next two and then get back-to-back wins, it will show the sort of resilience we haven't previously had during bad runs (and thinking back as recently as this time last year). If we got less than 4 points from those games a narrative of decline and failing to bid on a good start emerges.

Hopefully we'll win one of the next two games to make that irrelevant. But we could end on Tuesday night have one point from three matches - if so, the way we respond given the upcoming opposition would say a lot about the type of season we're going to have.

Of course, 4 points from the next 2 games with a bit of confidence behind us could quickly turn into 10 points from 4 games, and again make a big difference to the type of season we'll have. I'm not normally one to read too much into the patterns of the last game or two, but this seems like one of those times where a few results could have a huge impact.

 
MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
28 September, 2018 20:00
Quote:
TwelfthofMay-ResurrectionDay
Anybody remember the away game at MK when they still played at the National Hockey Stadium? I think it was McAteer's final season with us. It stayed 0-0 til 90 mins, then we got an OG off a Jason Mac free kick, Izale Mcleod equalised (he always scored against us) then , improbably, Delroy Facey wriggled through their defence and scored the winner. 3 goals in about 5 minutes, fantastic, and it sealed their relegation to L2 that season as well.
Same again, please, boys!

However that would mean trying to sign a non-league striker with a match fixing conviction and lure McAteer out of retirement to try and win a game in the dying embers of a match.

None of the same please (Sm7)

In all honesty I see what you're getting at, but winning with last ditch goals isn't good for some peoples blood pressure, so if Tranmere are to win they should do it in regulation time, or possibly be indirectly responsible for hospitalising one or more onlookers.



Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

 
Jimsteel
Jimsteel (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
28 September, 2018 21:07
We've had a solid start to the season. Our two losses can be attributed to Jay Harris losing his head and a shocker from all involved last Saturday. Newport were poor and are no way a top 3 team, reminiscent of the thug teams from the VNL. Micky made some wrong decisions but you can't blame him for giving Mullin a start he deserved it, but it proved he is no partner for Lord Norwood it has to be Stockton. Mullin is an impact sub at 60 min to run at tired defences. Connor and DMH should be on bench too. We should start with Larnell Cole and Johnny Smith.
We can beat MK Don's easy if we play to our ability.

Nothing to fear in this league!!!. We shouldn't even contemplate a loss against a team that only formed 14years ago and has no identity. Come on you White Boys!!!!!!!!!

Let's smash it tomorrow then show Lincoln what we're made of next week. Big moments in our season I'm sure the lads will be fired up, 4 pts at least from next two games.

Ubi fides ibi lux et robur

 
Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
28 September, 2018 22:28
A tough few days ahead. I'd be very happy if we got 2points on the board by Tuesday evening.Tomorrow 0- 0 followed by lots of posts about Stockton/Mullin not being good enough and how good Steeeve and Davies were.Hope I'm right but I'd happier still if we win !!

 
Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
28 September, 2018 22:40
Quote:
Jimsteel
We've had a solid start to the season. Our two losses can be attributed to Jay Harris losing his head and a shocker from all involved last Saturday. Newport were poor and are no way a top 3 team, reminiscent of the thug teams from the VNL. Micky made some wrong decisions but you can't blame him for giving Mullin a start he deserved it, but it proved he is no partner for Lord Norwood it has to be Stockton. Mullin is an impact sub at 60 min to run at tired defences. Connor and DMH should be on bench too. We should start with Larnell Cole and Johnny Smith.
We can beat MK Don's easy if we play to our ability.

Nothing to fear in this league!!!. We shouldn't even contemplate a loss against a team that only formed 14years ago and has no identity. Come on you White Boys!!!!!!!!!

Let's smash it tomorrow then show Lincoln what we're made of next week. Big moments in our season I'm sure the lads will be fired up, 4 pts at least from next two games.

Ubi fides ibi lux et robur

Agree with all of that apart from the Stockton/Mullin bit. Mullin needs more than one game to be judged on fairly and because of the VNL way the opposition Newport played ,it was the wrong game to judge anyone on. The next two games with higher quality opposition will be better tests as will the Morecambe and Macc games.

 
ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
29 September, 2018 13:16
Stockton and Smith start as does Buxton. Caprice on bench. Still no sign of Williams or Franklyn which is a bit disappointing. Here's hoping Stockton gets off the mark in the League as I am hopeful once he does he will flourish.

 
MESSAGES->author
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
29 September, 2018 13:41
Take a point today. they haven't done much yet this season but haven't been outclassed by anyone in terms of results.
hope we sneak it but happy with a point.

Well done to all who have gone. safe and happy journey home!

 
Re: Mk Dons
29 September, 2018 14:42
Yessssss! Get in!!! Full marks to the lad Smith.,

COYWB!

 
Re: Mk Dons
29 September, 2018 14:50
Sheeeeeet. That's a blow just on half time.

 
aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
29 September, 2018 14:51
When will Davis learn. Wasting time and what a cock. It’s quite embarrassing. There are many on here who slate opposition for doing it, but at least they can make it work. What was he thinking going for that ball. I like him, but today he’s taking the mick.

 
ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
29 September, 2018 15:05
Quote:
aktrfc
When will Davis learn. Wasting time and what a cock. It’s quite embarrassing. There are many on here who slate opposition for doing it, but at least they can make it work. What was he thinking going for that ball. I like him, but today he’s taking the mick.
Never will learn in my view. Davis has always thought he is a lot better than he actually is in my opinion. Yes a goodish shotstopper but always suspect when going for the high ball
Disappointing after we had got in the lead to gift them an equaliser so badly...



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/09/2018 15:06 by ADD.

 
aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
29 September, 2018 15:35
Think he may have just redeemed himself

 
Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
29 September, 2018 16:20
A good unexpected point .what a pity Lincoln game not next Saturday instead of Tuesday ,we would have got a good Lincoln following so a great atmosphere.but well done SWA 750 away support well done yet again

 
aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
29 September, 2018 16:46
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
A good unexpected point .what a pity Lincoln game not next Saturday instead of Tuesday ,we would have got a good Lincoln following so a great atmosphere.but well done SWA 750 away support well done yet again

Why would you say it was unexpected. They are 1 point above us in the league, so I’d say other than a freak result, a draw was odds on. Ny only concern about today, was the chances we missed. Boy do we nee a striker. Not getting on Stockton’s back, but he’s not the answer.
We look ok for a mid table finish, but a mid table finish will result in a loss of attendance. Lower attendance will result in a lower budget for next season. Mid table is no good for the long term. We need to be up around the play offs to keep bums on seats.

 
kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
29 September, 2018 16:58
Actually only 2 points off FGR in the last playoff place. Mad league at the moment so many teams on 14, 15, and 16 points

 
Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
29 September, 2018 17:59
Another striker would make all the difference to what is a quite decent side ,top seven spot could be achieved with more goals ,it’s a priority but it’s been so since the final whistle went at Wembley and still nothing happening ,we will suffer for it that’s for sure yes we are holding our own but we need wins not draws

 
Kentexile
Kentexile (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
29 September, 2018 18:26
I actually thought Stockton was decent today. Jennings and Zoom struggled down the left, we were stronger down the right with Bucko and Smith. McCullough gave the ball away far too many times. Gilmour played well when he came on, and Steve and Manny were solid at the back.
After being lucky not to be two or three down at half time I thought our second half was much better and either team could have won it. Nors was fairly quiet but didn't get the right through balls he needed, either we waited too long or the passes went the wrong side of him.
Hard to knock Scotty, he messed up for the goal but made some good saves that kept us in it.
All in all, pretty happy with the point and some positives in the second half.

 
kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
29 September, 2018 20:27
Life in the football League don't knock it

 
corpac
corpac (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
29 September, 2018 20:37
Spot on summation,Kentexile I must say what an impressive stadium this is, friendly staff, it was a pleasure to visit

 
MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
29 September, 2018 21:28
No need for any of us to knock Scotty; Steeeeve's bolloc#ing did enough knocking for all of us.
My southern "friend" stated "I can't see how Tranmere were in front at anytime during that first half". I have to agree with the point he was making as I thought we were quite disappointing first half; we looked well off the pace, gave them too much space and lacked cohesion, but ironically, we should have gone in 1-0 up at half-time. To be fair to Mk Dons, they looked a decent outfit. Just to add, if Norwood had missed the one on one with the keeper, I'm sure it would have been mentioned by now so, for the sake of fairness, Stockton should have scored; or for positivities sake, should I say he set it up for Smith.
Now for some genuine positivity and in agreeance with Kentexile, we were better second half and gave it more of a go. The passing was more purposeful and we had more energy about our play. However, our final ball let us down on numerous occasions when we were in good attacking positions.
How did Jennings miss the target with that late header? It was harder to miss. In a game we probably didn't deserve to win, we could and probably should have. All in all a positive point though, from a tough game, which I would have gladly taken before the game.
Nice stadium, but pretty soulless with the vast empty spaces.
Nightmare of a journey there and back too with so many delays. Without my MK friends local knowledge, I might well still be driving back now!

 
TimmySoft
TimmySoft (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
29 September, 2018 21:57
A good result against a very good opponent.

I thought McCullogh was great in midfield today, the first 20minutes we were getting over run in every area. The MK big number 6 bossed the midfield until mccullogh warmed up. Scottys mistake was a wreckless and thoughtless one, but as a shot stopper he’s usually pretty good, his distribution was lacking today too.

We have a real lack of width that can be exposed by teams with pace, it’s something we really need to address in January. Stockton looked decent today, once he gets that bit of luck he’ll nail a load for us.

 
Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
29 September, 2018 22:16
Quote:
aktrfc
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
A good unexpected point .what a pity Lincoln game not next Saturday instead of Tuesday ,we would have got a good Lincoln following so a great atmosphere.but well done SWA 750 away support well done yet again

Why would you say it was unexpected. They are 1 point above us in the league, so I’d say other than a freak result, a draw was odds on. Ny only concern about today, was the chances we missed. Boy do we nee a striker. Not getting on Stockton’s back, but he’s not the answer.
We look ok for a mid table finish, but a mid table finish will result in a loss of attendance. Lower attendance will result in a lower budget for next season. Mid table is no good for the long term. We need to be up around the play offs to keep bums on seats.

They missed far more chances than us. The only bad miss was Jennings' woeful header at the end.

 
Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
29 September, 2018 22:18
Quote:
Kentexile
I actually thought Stockton was decent today. Jennings and Zoom struggled down the left, we were stronger down the right with Bucko and Smith. McCullough gave the ball away far too many times. Gilmour played well when he came on, and Steve and Manny were solid at the back.
After being lucky not to be two or three down at half time I thought our second half was much better and either team could have won it. Nors was fairly quiet but didn't get the right through balls he needed, either we waited too long or the passes went the wrong side of him.
Hard to knock Scotty, he messed up for the goal but made some good saves that kept us in it.
All in all, pretty happy with the point and some positives in the second half.

Stockton and Zoom were poor but not as poor as Jennings,whose loss of form is a major concern.

 
Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
29 September, 2018 22:21
Quote:
Phil65
No need for any of us to knock Scotty; Steeeeve's bolloc#ing did enough knocking for all of us.
My southern "friend" stated "I can't see how Tranmere were in front at anytime during that first half". I have to agree with the point he was making as I thought we were quite disappointing first half; we looked well off the pace, gave them too much space and lacked cohesion, but ironically, we should have gone in 1-0 up at half-time. To be fair to Mk Dons, they looked a decent outfit. Just to add, if Norwood had missed the one on one with the keeper, I'm sure it would have been mentioned by now so, for the sake of fairness, Stockton should have scored; or for positivities sake, should I say he set it up for Smith.
Now for some genuine positivity and in agreeance with Kentexile, we were better second half and gave it more of a go. The passing was more purposeful and we had more energy about our play. However, our final ball let us down on numerous occasions when we were in good attacking positions.
How did Jennings miss the target with that late header? It was harder to miss. In a game we probably didn't deserve to win, we could and probably should have. All in all a positive point though, from a tough game, which I would have gladly taken before the game.
Nice stadium, but pretty soulless with the vast empty spaces.
Nightmare of a journey there and back too with so many delays. Without my MK friends local knowledge, I might well still be driving back now!

Some idiots on Facebook said at half time that ''both goals were tap ins''.Since when is a tap in from outside the area?

 
Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
30 September, 2018 02:56
As I have said .i don’t think Jennings has got over the virus he had ,whatever it was it’s really zapped him I think he came back to soon

 
the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
30 September, 2018 06:31
Scott Davies again. I need a calculator to work out how many points he's cost us in 2018.

Orient
Fylde x 2
Hartlepool
Colchester
Milton Keynes
Macc x 2

Off the top of my head hes a liability.

We need a keeper like Newports unspectacular but solid

 
Uptonrover
Uptonrover (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
30 September, 2018 09:34
What about the points he has saved for us?

Nameme a better keeper that is A- available B- in our price range C- would sign for us?

Yes he was at fault for yesterday but id rather have him than not

 
MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
30 September, 2018 10:06
Quote:
Uptonrover
What about the points he has saved for us?
Nameme a better keeper that is A- available B- in our price range C- would sign for us?

Yes he was at fault for yesterday but id rather have him than not

No player is irreplaceable and that includes Davies.
Unless we're actively seeking another keeper we won't know the answers to your questions.
Many put Davies on a pedestal and enjoy positive banter with him. It's only natural that those who are esteemed will also have their detractors. Just like McNulty has cut out the show-boating, leading to less mistakes, Davies also needs to learn lessons from his errors. Is there enough evidence to prove he is doing this? The jury's still out on that one.

 
MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
30 September, 2018 10:20
What a great ground stadium MK was though, just had zero atmosphere though with what looked like a crowd of about 4K when it was actually nearly 8K apparently(?) and no beer 😫. How they afford to run that ground without massive losses I don’t know. .... Davies did make an error but did make a couple of really good saves too. Jennings looks like he needs a rest from the first team to get him hungry again. What’s happened to that other Striker we signed? Need him to be thrown in the deep end. And I see Alabi is getting good reviews at his new club? So not sure why it never worked out with us.

 
the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
30 September, 2018 11:40
Quote:
Uptonrover
What about the points he has saved for us?
Nameme a better keeper that is A- available B- in our price range C- would sign for us?

Yes he was at fault for yesterday but id rather have him than not

You mean his job. At least 8 big mistakes in 10 months is too many , if you want a list start with ebbsfleets keeper, loach from hartlepool, flinders from Cheltenham... they are off the top of my head

 
Uptonrover
Uptonrover (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
30 September, 2018 12:37
Id say Norwoods job is to put one on ones in but how many of those has he blown over this season/previous seasons? Would you get rid of him? A goalkeepers errors are always highlighted as generally they lead to a goal. And Ebbsfleet keeper? Jesus wept ...



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/09/2018 12:37 by Uptonrover.

 
the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
30 September, 2018 13:43
Quote:
Uptonrover
Id say Norwoods job is to put one on ones in but how many of those has he blown over this season/previous seasons? Would you get rid of him? A goalkeepers errors are always highlighted as generally they lead to a goal. And Ebbsfleet keeper? Jesus wept ...

Yes that keeper who had a stormer against us in the league game behind a defence having an off day, the player who was cited for getting ebbsfleet into the play offs yes him. Better then brotherly love hands davies

 
MESSAGES->author
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
30 September, 2018 14:23
Quote:
the kav
Quote:
Uptonrover
Id say Norwoods job is to put one on ones in but how many of those has he blown over this season/previous seasons? Would you get rid of him? A goalkeepers errors are always highlighted as generally they lead to a goal. And Ebbsfleet keeper? Jesus wept ...

Yes that keeper who had a stormer against us in the league game behind a defence having an off day, the player who was cited for getting ebbsfleet into the play offs yes him. Better then brotherly love hands davies

that's the fella who didn't bother with his hands and shouldered Larnell's shot into the net in the play-off semi isn't he?

 
Tommy Egg
Tommy Egg (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
30 September, 2018 17:08
Re Connor Jennings back too soon .He may need a rest
now but if he had delayed his return we wouldn't have got promoted, his contrbution in play off final was immense !

 
Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
30 September, 2018 17:10
Quote:
the kav
Quote:
Uptonrover
Id say Norwoods job is to put one on ones in but how many of those has he blown over this season/previous seasons? Would you get rid of him? A goalkeepers errors are always highlighted as generally they lead to a goal. And Ebbsfleet keeper? Jesus wept ...

Yes that keeper who had a stormer against us in the league game behind a defence having an off day, the player who was cited for getting ebbsfleet into the play offs yes him. Better then brotherly love hands davies

And HOW many saves did he make yesterday and in other games to save us points[Northampton comes to mind straight away]. There were people near me calling him all sorts even before his mistake yesterday. The silence from them when he made that great one handed save with his left hand low down in the second half was palpable.

What about Monthe's huge clanger against Newport which we got away with because their striker couldn't shoot straight? Or does that not count because they didn't score? The answer is that a keepers mistake is usually more costly but they often make less of them than everyone else on the pitch.

 
Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
30 September, 2018 17:12
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
Another striker would make all the difference to what is a quite decent side ,top seven spot could be achieved with more goals ,it’s a priority but it’s been so since the final whistle went at Wembley and still nothing happening ,we will suffer for it that’s for sure yes we are holding our own but we need wins not draws

Another striker will only make a difference if we play in a way that suits him and he is given a fair chance of a run of games in the team.

 
MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
30 September, 2018 17:32
Well if the forecast was a loss to a team who have only won three this season (yes, I know...) then i bet the forecast against Lincoln will be ultra pessimistic!

 
Uptonrover
Uptonrover (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
30 September, 2018 18:24
Exactly Hoots! It was only the other week Scott was getting crucified for not coming for a cross. Yes yesterday he should have got it but potentially should McNulty have made it clear/louder it was ‘his’ ball and not to come (potentially he did, im just saying). Davies will earn us more points in any season than cost us

 
the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
30 September, 2018 18:59
Quote:
Yiggsy
Quote:
the kav
Quote:
Uptonrover
Id say Norwoods job is to put one on ones in but how many of those has he blown over this season/previous seasons? Would you get rid of him? A goalkeepers errors are always highlighted as generally they lead to a goal. And Ebbsfleet keeper? Jesus wept ...

Yes that keeper who had a stormer against us in the league game behind a defence having an off day, the player who was cited for getting ebbsfleet into the play offs yes him. Better then brotherly love hands davies

that's the fella who didn't bother with his hands and shouldered Larnell's shot into the net in the play-off semi isn't he?

Every keepers let one in that hes seen late like ashmore did there , he doesnt boot it in his own net , let soft shots from 25 yards beat him, miss punches, come to catch and miss, or palm out to ex tottenham players who will not miss

 
the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
30 September, 2018 19:03
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
the kav
Quote:
Uptonrover
Id say Norwoods job is to put one on ones in but how many of those has he blown over this season/previous seasons? Would you get rid of him? A goalkeepers errors are always highlighted as generally they lead to a goal. And Ebbsfleet keeper? Jesus wept ...

Yes that keeper who had a stormer against us in the league game behind a defence having an off day, the player who was cited for getting ebbsfleet into the play offs yes him. Better then brotherly love hands davies

And HOW many saves did he make yesterday and in other games to save us points[Northampton comes to mind straight away]. There were people near me calling him all sorts even before his mistake yesterday. The silence from them when he made that great one handed save with his left hand low down in the second half was palpable.

What about Monthe's huge clanger against Newport which we got away with because their striker couldn't shoot straight? Or does that not count because they didn't score? The answer is that a keepers mistake is usually more costly but they often make less of them than everyone else on the pitch.

I get what ya mean mate but whats the point of a keeper who makes spectacular saves but is a mistake waiting to happen. Give me a consistant keeper every time

 
kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
30 September, 2018 19:59
I don't think we should slsg off players who got us promoted and who have us mid table and two points off the play offs

 
MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
30 September, 2018 22:03
Davies is more of an asset than a liability and being the last line of defense, were the reverse true I would suggest Tranmere would not be in such a fairly healthy points situation.



Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

 
Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
01 October, 2018 06:59
I’m of mixed opinion on Davies, he made some good saves looking at the highlights but he’s certainly made some mistakes to, the mistakes tend to be handling errors which are the worst for a keeper, rot sets in with the defence and they start making errors as they loose confidence in the custodian, I think on balance we should be in the market for some safe hands. Teams are going to start pumping balls into the box and putting him under greater pressure.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2018 07:00 by Higgosboots.

 
ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
01 October, 2018 08:39
I don't want to be jumping on the bandwagon but I felt even last season that Davies is a goodish shot stopper but poor in terms of commanding his area. And don't get me started on his ridiculous time wasting antics. The problem we have however is that MM for some reason gave Pilling another contract even though he had already last season decided he wasn't good enough! He brought George in this season for some reason even though Davies was fit to start the first game - why? And in any event George has hardly shown himself to be a star in the making. So we have 4 keeping salaries already being paid. With money tight and a striker needed above all else we will surely not be looking at getting in another keeper and that perhaps is part of the problem in that Davies basically knows he will be playing pretty much come what may...

 
AndyMase
AndyMase (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
01 October, 2018 08:47
We have to remember we are in league2 where all players will have some positives and negatives, Scott is a decent keeper in general but will make mistakes, agree we need someone to push him but That is difficult to find at this level, on balance I would keep him and tell him to stop time wasting which drives me crazy too. Best form of time wasting is to attack and score a goal 🙂



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2018 08:50 by AndyMase.

 
Uptonrover
Uptonrover (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
01 October, 2018 08:49
Ive read for many months about Davies time wasting, surely this must come from the management as it hasnt just been in a one off game and if they wanted him to stop doing it surely he has/would be told?

 
ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
01 October, 2018 10:45
Quote:
Uptonrover
Ive read for many months about Davies time wasting, surely this must come from the management as it hasnt just been in a one off game and if they wanted him to stop doing it surely he has/would be told?
That's a fair point Upton but given MM says that he targets a win in very game it seems strange to be telling him to timewaste when we are not winning?

 
Kentexile
Kentexile (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
01 October, 2018 11:41
I don't mind the timewasting, all part of game management. What worries me more is he already has a couple of bookings (If I remember rightly) and if he's not careful might end up serving a suspension which is the last thing we need.

 
Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
01 October, 2018 16:41
Quote:
Kentexile
I don't mind the timewasting, all part of game management. What worries me more is he already has a couple of bookings (If I remember rightly) and if he's not careful might end up serving a suspension which is the last thing we need.

One of those bookings was for the Carlisle penalty which should not have been one. If it was a card,should have been red,we'd have appealed and had it rescinded.

 
MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
01 October, 2018 17:09
I guess it's easier to post with diplomacy once the heats died down, but to be fair, this season I don't think Davies time-wasting is anywhere as bad as it has been in the past, so perhaps someone has had a word in his shell-like (it did used to drive me potty, particularly as we were critical of the same antics by others in the National League, but I can't remember muttering to myself for him to "get on with it" this season). He actually looks decent when he does elect to catch a ball. His decisions to punch catchable balls has room for improvement. His "should I stay or should I go" psyche needs strengthening and I also think more of a "sweeper keeper" role would suit, as he's often too deep and a little hesitant to mop up balls towards the edge of his box. I would prefer someone to be pushing him for his place, as healthy competition can only be beneficial, but I don't think we have that luxury at the moment. To be fair to Davies, he's clearly devastated with each mistake, wearing his heart on his sleeve, which I'm sure will drive him to try to improve. He obviously has the same passion we all have for the club so if we wear our hearts on our sleeves when posting, so be it.
Hey ho, what do I know.

 
MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
01 October, 2018 19:25
Like nooooo away Keeper ever time wastes when visiting Prenton.......

 
Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

Re: Mk Dons
01 October, 2018 22:30
Quote:
Phil65
I guess it's easier to post with diplomacy once the heats died down, but to be fair, this season I don't think Davies time-wasting is anywhere as bad as it has been in the past, so perhaps someone has had a word in his shell-like (it did used to drive me potty, particularly as we were critical of the same antics by others in the National League, but I can't remember muttering to myself for him to "get on with it" this season). He actually looks decent when he does elect to catch a ball. His decisions to punch catchable balls has room for improvement. His "should I stay or should I go" psyche needs strengthening and I also think more of a "sweeper keeper" role would suit, as he's often too deep and a little hesitant to mop up balls towards the edge of his box. I would prefer someone to be pushing him for his place, as healthy competition can only be beneficial, but I don't think we have that luxury at the moment. To be fair to Davies, he's clearly devastated with each mistake, wearing his heart on his sleeve, which I'm sure will drive him to try to improve. He obviously has the same passion we all have for the club so if we wear our hearts on our sleeves when posting, so be it.
Hey ho, what do I know.
+1


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net
 

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?