coltranmere123 (IP Logged)

Tollitt
22 September, 2018 14:12
Has anybody any idea what's happened to him . Not even making the bench

martyd12
martyd12 (IP Logged)

Re: Tollitt
22 September, 2018 18:03
And he is clearly very upset about it. He cannot understand why he is not even on the bench! He says he is fully fit and knows he has to continue to work at his game. I understand he has said he will go out on loan if necessary but that has been refused. After today he may be back quicker than he thinks.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

22 September, 2018 18:12
Sounds a bit presumptuous to me, Micky makes it clear each ayer should earn his place.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

22 September, 2018 18:41
I like Ben Tollitt but since his injury he is not the same player but I think he should be at least on the bench ,but no surprise he is not a regular in the side

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

22 September, 2018 21:42
Quote:
martyd12
And he is clearly very upset about it. He cannot understand why he is not even on the bench! He says he is fully fit and knows he has to continue to work at his game. I understand he has said he will go out on loan if necessary but that has been refused. After today he may be back quicker than he thinks.

He seems to have a big psychological blockage in his confidence levels because of an almost paranoid fear of being injured again.He needs to overcome this and get a huge slice of luck somewhere along the way to set him on the right path. Having said that,I'd rather see him play than DMH but Smith should start ahead of both of them.

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

22 September, 2018 21:49
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
I like Ben Tollitt but since his injury he is not the same player but I think he should be at least on the bench ,but no surprise he is not a regular in the side

Maybe it's because we'd never seen him against league opposition as well. He ran rings around lower level but when he came to us he wasn't he surplus to requirements to a League 2 Portsmouth in the to half of the table?

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

23 September, 2018 08:53
Quote:
Hardly Irons
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover

Maybe it's because we'd never seen him against league opposition as well. He ran rings around lower level but when he came to us he wasn't he surplus to requirements to a League 2 Portsmouth in the to half of the table?

Same thoughts crossed my mind hardly

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

23 September, 2018 10:21
Ben was having a fitness session with Ryan Williams, Franklyn A (can't spell his name) and a youth player before the players came out.

As has been said before, confidence appears low and he is up against better players at FL2 level but, without involvement even limited from the bench, a short term loan appears the only option.

roversoffspring
roversoffspring (IP Logged)

24 September, 2018 11:12
we all know what a loan did for connor jenno? we sent him to Macc guy came back better and hungrier he scored at wembley v FGR and was instrumental the following season setting up norwoods winner at Wembley to see us promoted but he couldnt get in the team before his loan. If he hadn't have gone out on loan who knows what would have happened to him? Stockton went on loan to morecambe came back was on fire tail end of that season keeping out cook! it wouldn't hurt getting ben out as DMH is on loan till January so get tolitt out now when he gets back January could be just what we need!

ming05
ming05 (IP Logged)

24 September, 2018 12:52
Mm brought him back to soon after first injury .

paulbyron
paulbyron (IP Logged)

24 September, 2018 16:37
ben tollitt reminds me of chris shuker after his injury he never seened the same, hope ben can get some game time even on loan just to get his confidence up

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

25 September, 2018 00:09
Said he was finished 6 months ago and stand by that, howver he cannot be any worse then conjor jennings xx

pez
pez (IP Logged)

25 September, 2018 09:51
Tollitt obviously has some sort of mental block since his injuries.

We all know how good this kid was before he got injured.

Surely there's some kind of Sports psychology set up for professional players returning from bad injuries? Otherwise there would be loads of players retiring because their bottle has gone in games?

I totally agree that if Micky doesn't fancy playing him ATM, then he should go out on loan to get his mojo back.

I hope he can overcome this psychological battle and get back to the level he showed pre injury.

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)

25 September, 2018 10:25
I'm not sure it is a mental block as such. It's confidence. All players look good when they are playing well and feel confident. All players look worse when they are out of form and lack confidence. He came here on a high, started well, sparked the team, got fan adoration. Confidence is sky high. Then he gets injured and works his way back. This time it's not the same, he starts struggling, things don't go for him and he doesn't seem to be the same player at all. The spark that enabled him to play the way he did has gone. Confidence is rock bottom. We've seen it before with players coming back from serious injury and with loan players who sign permanently. It may be something that never comes back, for us anyway.

There may be some physical element to it as well. Ligament damage isn't the career killer it used to be but repairs aren't 100% guaranteed and the same burst that was there before may not be there after. The player usually knows it deep down as well. If this is the case then his career may effectively be over despite seemingly recovering fully.

26 September, 2018 09:02
Did anybody else get a copy of Pat Nevin's book 'In ma head, son'? He co-wrote it with a sports psychologist at the tail end of his TRFC career. As well as being a wizard on the pitch, it shows he could think a bit too. Great insight into what it's like for a pro footballer coming back from injury - many of the points he raised are mentioned in the posts above.
Let's hope the lad can shake whatever demons may be affecting him and get back to dancing around three defenders on the edge of the box before either (a) releasing Norwood to score or (b) hitting the top corner himself

DCTRFC
DCTRFC (IP Logged)

26 September, 2018 10:11
Me and my mate both did our ACLs within 2 weeks of each other. I did some research and it is the mental issues that are an issue with such injuries. Most pros are back with 6 months, I took a risk and did my first full contact training session after 4 months post op and played my first 90 after 6 months. It got rid of the mental demons straight away. Best thing that ever happened was some guy hit me with a horrendous tackle first game back. All my team mates were shocked, while I was like wow my knee is fine. I am still playing twice a week and getting stuck in just as hard as before the injury. My mate hasn’t played any footy at all because he is afraid of doing it again.

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)

26 September, 2018 11:57
Quote:
DCTRFC
Me and my mate both did our ACLs within 2 weeks of each other. I did some research and it is the mental issues that are an issue with such injuries. Most pros are back with 6 months, I took a risk and did my first full contact training session after 4 months post op and played my first 90 after 6 months. It got rid of the mental demons straight away. Best thing that ever happened was some guy hit me with a horrendous tackle first game back. All my team mates were shocked, while I was like wow my knee is fine. I am still playing twice a week and getting stuck in just as hard as before the injury. My mate hasn’t played any footy at all because he is afraid of doing it again.

Was it a full or partial tear or a sprain and was it surgically repaired? You could definitely play again in 4/6 months with a tear and it never trouble you. I can't imagine that you could after surgery, not that I think the NHS will do it anyway. Also there are 2 cruciate ligaments and a number of other ligaments joining the knee as well. I'm not sure they ever confirmed that Tollitt's injury was definitely an ACL. People just assume it because that's the one they've heard of.

prentonpete1
prentonpete1 (IP Logged)

26 September, 2018 13:44
Love the lad but he's lost his best asset his pace that's the problem.

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

26 September, 2018 14:00
Everyone seems to be dubious if we'll see the old Ben Tollitt again.There's every possibility that he reads this forum.If he does then the views expressed on here won't be helping him.
Come on Ben,if it's worrying you try to put it behind you and show the doubters what a talent you are. SWA 🙌🙌🙌

martyd12
martyd12 (IP Logged)

26 September, 2018 15:04
Well said 69!!
Ben
We are all rooting for you and we know you can do it!!

Claytonne&Clark
Claytonne&Clark (IP Logged)

26 September, 2018 15:32
It's been a while since he had a run of matches in the team, and we've needed to bring in people in his position. The start of last season we were low on wingers and started horribly - so it was bound to be one of our most competitive positions at the start of the season.

He will get his chances as wingers do pick up knocks, so we should judge him on then, rather than when he's not playing. We could make judgements early last season about wingers who weren't playing, given they were needed. But when people are doing their jobs well there's little to read into someone not being in the squad.

pez
pez (IP Logged)

26 September, 2018 16:38
I don't think anyone is dissing him. He's a quality player when he's fully fit and raring to go.

He just seems to have lost his guile and determination to succeed.

I'm sure everyone is wishing him well and are looking forward to him hitting the heights he showed pre injury.

Were now settled in at this level and need to push on whilst the gap at the top is a marginal one.

Players like young Ben could be key to us rising up the league.

He just needs to believe in himself a bit more.

bheadlad
bheadlad (IP Logged)

26 September, 2018 17:42
Was he supposed to play yesterday behind closed door in a friendly
Does any one have any info on that match and who played

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

30 September, 2018 21:55
Ben you have a whole career in front of you. Can't wait to see you on the first team again

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net