football
Latest News:

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

Ollie Norburn Micky Mellon Meltdowns
10 August, 2018 08:43
Let’s not get carried away with this one, there’s a big meltdown about how @#$%& Mellon is for not replacing Cook or Norburn. Let’s look at the real world situation. We were relegated to the NL because we deserved it, the club is skint and has very little access to money, not much has changed. The new owners have essientially made some budget cuts and reorganised the books. Whilst they have a few quid in our daily lives in terms of Football ownership they wear tramp shoes, the profit from a B and B isn’t going to fund the purchase of Christian Doidge.

Back where we belong, well we are. Bar a few years in the early 90’s when we had a wealthy owner willing to act as collateral on the gamble of PL football that would strip the Liverpool Clubs of a few dis enchanted fans, we have spent most of our existence on the brink of bankruptcy.

In reality here when Micky came in we where 11th in the NL, we had no hope in a million years of a play off place never mind promotion and no money. Micky came in and worked wonders galvanising the playing staff. Not much changed last year, whisky the league may have seen us big hitters, we where not and what Micky and his staff achieved last season on a limited budget was remarkable.

I for one think Micky should go down in legend as the man that saved the club, for more than one reason, winning promotion and the 500k that has kept the club a float and for excepting we are a selling club. At this point Brabin deserves some praise too, both have discovered players we have signed either for free or for the cost of a family sized Vauxhall that have since gone on to higher levels of play. We have received a six figure sum for Norburn and something for Clarke. Those fees are invaluable.

Cook was never going to stay as with Norburn, they want to play in the Championship, Micky could have cleaned Cooks boots all year, he’d have still left and he’ll leave Walsall if a better offer comes along.

I’m sure someone will come in on loan, but if they don’t we collected a point last weekend with Cook and Norburn and by all counts in here it should have been 3. We have midfielders coming out of our ears and a manager capable of getting the best and making the best of what he has.

Survival is succes this season, if you have chosen to fall for the clubs advertising pitch and think promotion is on the cards you need to readjust and get behind the club for the tough year ahead. Anything extra then survival is a bonus.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2018 08:45 by Higgosboots.

Bolton Rover
Bolton Rover (IP Logged)

Re: Ollie Norburn Micky Mellon Meltdowns
10 August, 2018 09:05
Thanks for brightening up my day....

spralos baldini
spralos baldini (IP Logged)

10 August, 2018 09:17
Not sure about MM being a legend but tend to agree with everything else in the post. I would like to see a decent young quick striker in on loan now.

MESSAGES->author
2 the moon (IP Logged)

10 August, 2018 09:50
Totally agree this is our natural habitat, I'd go as far as to say Peter Johnson and his legacy have made us into a possible 3rd tier club rather than a 4th.

The club's we've lost players to have also lost players to clubs further up the pyramid. There's probably only a handfull of clubs in world fottball that this doesn't happen to. Yes it's a blow, yes we are possibly weaker than last season but establishing ourselves again as a lower league football club should be the short term goal and possibly what the owners should of said. I think we can do that at least

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2018 09:51 by 2 the moon.

goosed
goosed (IP Logged)

10 August, 2018 10:33
So whos paying for the new suits at the ground and changing rooms and did they tell is how much its costing ?

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

10 August, 2018 11:25
Quote:
goosed
So whos paying for the new suits at the ground and changing rooms and did they tell is how much its costing ?

Presumably the club is paying for it. Don't understand why you'd expect to be told how much it's costing or, for that matter, how much revenue it's expected to generate. But you could always ask the club - it's unlikely to be a closely guarded secret.

roversoffspring
roversoffspring (IP Logged)

10 August, 2018 11:44
i just hope the suits aren't like the white Liverpool FA cup ones years ago winking smiley as for the suites they will pay for themselves with increased revenue being used on more then just match-days generating the cash to keep the club afloat. There are lots of business conferences taking place at Prenton Park as well as Christmas parties being booked up and that's all down to people wanting to come to a nice location with free parking as opposed to a pee smelling pub or gentleman's clubs hence why the Palios are investing so much in the suites for a longer term investment. As fans we naturally want on field success instantly and money spent on players but a as club we neglected off-field matters for so long it contributed to why we ended up as a VNL side, having been in the platinum suite a few times its a far cry from what it used to be and I'm pleased we are investing in all aspects of the club! Great original post and bob on i think we'll make some permanent signings in January and some loan signings for now and re-invest the cash that we have received from Norburn and Clarke bearing in mind the max power sell on clause should be coming through as well. i don't see why we are having all the meltdowns yes we might not be pushing for promotion but we wont go down its gotta be better being mid table league 2 then vanarama national league! up the whites! great positive post at first put a few things into perspective mate.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

10 August, 2018 12:36
Quote:
Higgosboots
Let’s not get carried away with this one, there’s a big meltdown about how @#$%& Mellon is for not replacing Cook or Norburn. Let’s look at the real world situation. We were relegated to the NL because we deserved it, the club is skint and has very little access to money, not much has changed. The new owners have essientially made some budget cuts and reorganised the books. Whilst they have a few quid in our daily lives in terms of Football ownership they wear tramp shoes, the profit from a B and B isn’t going to fund the purchase of Christian Doidge.
Back where we belong, well we are. Bar a few years in the early 90’s when we had a wealthy owner willing to act as collateral on the gamble of PL football that would strip the Liverpool Clubs of a few dis enchanted fans, we have spent most of our existence on the brink of bankruptcy.

In reality here when Micky came in we where 11th in the NL, we had no hope in a million years of a play off place never mind promotion and no money. Micky came in and worked wonders galvanising the playing staff. Not much changed last year, whisky the league may have seen us big hitters, we where not and what Micky and his staff achieved last season on a limited budget was remarkable.

I for one think Micky should go down in legend as the man that saved the club, for more than one reason, winning promotion and the 500k that has kept the club a float and for excepting we are a selling club. At this point Brabin deserves some praise too, both have discovered players we have signed either for free or for the cost of a family sized Vauxhall that have since gone on to higher levels of play. We have received a six figure sum for Norburn and something for Clarke. Those fees are invaluable.

Cook was never going to stay as with Norburn, they want to play in the Championship, Micky could have cleaned Cooks boots all year, he’d have still left and he’ll leave Walsall if a better offer comes along.

I’m sure someone will come in on loan, but if they don’t we collected a point last weekend with Cook and Norburn and by all counts in here it should have been 3. We have midfielders coming out of our ears and a manager capable of getting the best and making the best of what he has.

Survival is succes this season, if you have chosen to fall for the clubs advertising pitch and think promotion is on the cards you need to readjust and get behind the club for the tough year ahead. Anything extra then survival is a bonus.

''Midfielders coming out of our ears'' but only 3 [Banks,Harris,Gilmour] central ones. We need another one [a good one]

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

10 August, 2018 13:32
I’d hate to have Harris anywhere near my ears if I’m honest...

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

10 August, 2018 21:23
There's no reason why people can't believe in a top 7 finish, as the squad is decent enough that coming top 7 is not completely remote.

Put it this way it would be more likely than winning the league cup.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

10 August, 2018 21:36
First season in the non league I thought settle for being competitive. We came one game short of promotion. Next season I thought I'll settle for play offs. We were promoted. This season so far smiling smiley we are competitive. Lets see eh.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

11 August, 2018 06:50
Anything above being involved in a relegation dogfight represents progress rather than hovering in the almost back to almost out of the conference territory

pez
pez (IP Logged)

11 August, 2018 10:19
If we win today then were in a great position, 4 from 6 points and unbeaten.

Its later in the season when fatigue and injuries start to bite that we will need the depth in the squad.

Free agents and loanees are our only options until the end of the month, lets see if we can bolster the squad with a few gems and kick on from there.

A win today will settle the nerves slightly and I hope we dont bring in anymore misfits luke last year.

Anyone that comes in needs to be good enough ro start or theres no pount in bringing them in.

Im sure theres stuff going on bwhind the scenes and that they are doing all they can to strengthen.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

11 August, 2018 12:45
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Higgosboots

''Midfielders coming out of our ears'' but only 3 [Banks,Harris,Gilmour] central ones. We need another one [a good one]

are you RLC in disguise?

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

11 August, 2018 20:30
Quote:
853OKG
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Higgosboots

are you RLC in disguise?

?

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

11 August, 2018 20:57
Quote:
kennyspint
First season in the non league I thought settle for being competitive. We came one game short of promotion. Next season I thought I'll settle for play offs. We were promoted. This season so far smiling smiley we are competitive. Lets see eh.
First season just outside play offs , second season beaten by FGR in play off final , third season won play offs - promoted .

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

12 August, 2018 08:00
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
Quote:
goosed

Presumably the club is paying for it. Don't understand why you'd expect to be told how much it's costing or, for that matter, how much revenue it's expected to generate. But you could always ask the club - it's unlikely to be a closely guarded secret.

New EFL regulation states the dressing room has to have a minimum square footage of space, and our didn’t. So changes had to be made to met these regs. Not sure this would have been high on the agenda otherwise. All said, it did need doing, as it wasn’t the best.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net