football
Latest News:

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

Comparisons
05 August, 2018 11:03
Just looking at some of our current players and staff along with our current situation and comparing with some of the players from our greatest era.

Micky Mellon, triumphant return to the club all be it first as a manager, saved our season in his first and got us promoted via playoffs, comparatible to the great one so far.

James Norwood = Chris Malkin, both workers, chase everything, Miss a few chances that otherwise wouldn’t have got threw chasing, consistent goal scorer

Steve McNulty = Mark Hughes, bit slow and immobile but calm and composed under pressure both great on the ball.

Johnny Morrsiey = Connor Jennings 2 tricky players good with ball at feet and able to create a chance for the forwards, pop up with the occasional wonder strike

Little early this one but has potential, Caprice = Tony Thomas, pacey going forwards, run all day, gets beyond the winger

Zoom = Ian Nolan, different stages of their career but both gifted with the ball, quick, like to get forward ability to play higher up the pyramid

Jay Harris = Eddie Bishop, not he most gifted of footballers, tough and tenacious do any job asked of by the mangager

Jim Harvey = Ollie Banks, midfield general, controlling the centre spot, bringing other into the game around them, scores a worldwide Now and then

Ollie Norburn = Neil McNab , midfield hard man, not afraid of a tackle deceptively brilliant on the ball, defence splitting passes a speciality.

I would say if stuck with then Micky can bring some good days back, I don’t think he or anyone will ever hit the dizzy heights of being 3 games from the premier league with Rovers, just to much money around nowadays. I would equate league 1 playoffs as equal success in the modern era.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

Re: Comparisons
05 August, 2018 11:52
Funnily enough I was reminded a bit of Morrissey while watching Smith yesterday. He's got some talent that lad.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

06 August, 2018 13:09
There are some similarities but the quality of the vintage period was much greater.The consistent quality of Morriseys crosses has never Ben matched and the physical presence of Thomas greater than any currently. There are some good passers of the ball in the current team but it was the creative vision of Harvey which marked him out
The three from the past that have no current peers are,Vickers,Nevin and Aldridge

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2018 19:46 by DevonExile.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

06 August, 2018 18:24
Quote:
DevonExile
There are some similarities but the quality of the vintage period was much greater.The consistent quality of Morriseys crosses has never Ben matched and the physical presence of Thomas greater than any currently. Their are some good passers of the ball in the current team but it was the creative vision of Harvey which marked him oil.
The three from the past that have no current peers are,Vickers,Nevin and Aldridge

I would add Nixon, Muir, Steel to that list

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

06 August, 2018 19:44
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
Funnily enough I was reminded a bit of Morrissey while watching Smith yesterday.

Or maybe you meant you were reminded of Morrissey whilst watching The Smiths on DVD (Sm7)

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net