football
Latest News:

Brenk
Brenk (IP Logged)

Danny Rowe
04 August, 2018 20:27
I don’t think we should get too excited about the chances of him joining us. Apparently Cheltenham, flush with some transfer revenue, had a six figure bid- allegedly £150k, turned down this week.

On the Newsnow site.

trfc-boi
trfc-boi (IP Logged)

Re: Danny Rowe
04 August, 2018 20:35
They don’t want to sell him, he ain’t moving anywhere

pez
pez (IP Logged)

04 August, 2018 21:11
He's not worth anywhere near that, but if Fylde are that hell bent on keeping him, then offer him a new deal?

He's in the last year of his contract, and no spring chicken.

They are in effect restricting him from playing in the F.L as there is no guarantee that Fylde will get promoted this season.

If they insist on asking daft money for him, then let him stay there.

He's decent at VNL level but £100k + is laughable, he could turn out to be a major flop at F.L level.

Let's move on and get someone else.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

04 August, 2018 22:47
That kind of fee is not as laughable as it might sound. Wrexham had a fee of £200,000 paid for a player by Swansea a few years back.

Fylde are backed by some money and have a big stadium. Unlike Borehamwood who are semi-pro's and have a release clauses for a top player of under £50,000, Fylde could be in a better position to demand more money, as they will undoubtedly pay more for player wages and the asset is a professional player at what could be seen as a bigger club.

The £35,000 release clause in Morgan Ferrier's contract, could look a little light in view of his playing actions last season for his club, but in reality Fylde could get more for Danny Rowe and the knock back of £150,000, is purely on the basis of not intending to sell him I would think.

There is an argument to say Rowe might be worth £100,000, based on his employers and form, but to be worth £150,000 he would have to be playing for a club, I feel, that had at least double the fan base and a solid history of league football like clubs like Leyton Orient and Tranmere had last season.

Had the offer been £150,000 for a Chesterfield player it would seem more in step with the kind of valuation such a club might get, but Fylde are clearly not rebuffing the £150,000 and making statements about Rowe being worth more, so in my estimation it looks like a PR exercise to say he goes nowhere at any price right now

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

04 August, 2018 23:41
You've got to think how much Walsall would have paid for cook if he was contracted. At least 300?

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

05 August, 2018 00:26
Fylde and Rowe is just like Cooky and us a year ago - the club doesn't want to sell, the player wants to play EFL so it suits both parties to give it another year unless silly money's offered. If Fylde go up, Rowe gets his chance but he can still walk to a better offer next summer if one comes along.

Rowe has no incentive to sign a new deal and Fylde will know that.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

05 August, 2018 00:31
i think lincoln paid over 200, 000 quid for Akinde

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

05 August, 2018 07:29
We offered a derisory 25k for rowe no wonder we didnt get him

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

05 August, 2018 07:51
I’m pretty sure it’s not new news we can’t afford Rowe

pez
pez (IP Logged)

05 August, 2018 10:18
Quote:
Hardly Irons
You've got to think how much Walsall would have paid for cook if he was contracted. At least 300?

I doubt they would have paid anywhere near that as Cook is unproven at L1 level and presents a certain element of risk to any club interested in him.

Fylde are just trying to keep hold of Rowe by demanding a ridiculous fee for him, they know hes peobably not worth that ammount of money but if anyone wants him they need to dig deep.

Rowe imo is more of a risk than Cookie and we would be mad to pay that kind of fee for a player with no FL experience.

If he doesnt sign a new deal then hell walk away next Summer for free, but unless he has a great season, the interest might ease off by then.

coltran
coltran (IP Logged)

05 August, 2018 11:01
As far as Danny Rowe's concerned, I think it is a risk to commit a large amount of the playing budget on a player that is unproven at FL2 level. In any case, we now have Cole Stockton who may not be everyone's choice, but he did form a good goal-scoring partnership with James Norwood towards the end of the 16/17. He also proved he could score goals in FL2 at Morecambe. He played well enough yesterday given that he only had a couple of days at the most to train with the squad. Let's give Cole our full support and encouragement.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

05 August, 2018 12:35
Quote:
coltran
As far as Danny Rowe's concerned, I think it is a risk to commit a large amount of the playing budget on a player that is unproven at FL2 level. In any case, we now have Cole Stockton who may not be everyone's choice, but he did form a good goal-scoring partnership with James Norwood towards the end of the 16/17. He also proved he could score goals in FL2 at Morecambe. He played well enough yesterday given that he only had a couple of days at the most to train with the squad. Let's give Cole our full support and encouragement.

He wasn't allowed to play yesterday.The centre back was all over him most of the time and,particularly in the first half,he got nothing from the ref.

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

05 August, 2018 12:38
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
coltran

He wasn't allowed to play yesterday.The centre back was all over him most of the time and,particularly in the first half,he got nothing from the ref.
100% agreed Hoots....I had hoped for better refs in L2 but I suspect that I am going to be sadly disappointed...

bheadlad
bheadlad (IP Logged)

05 August, 2018 21:37
He scored yesterday and was mentioned in the Fylde report so I think he will probably continue to score as many as last year and with Norwood would probably form a good partnership
The trouble is it will cost 150k plusnow or 100k at Xmas or free in the summer but fending off big money teams that can pay wages
The good thing would be a potential side missing relegation (saves money ),mid table,playoffs( makes money) or direct promotion (jackpot)
Either way MM /Palii would have thrashed it out and I still think the signing of Rowe or equivalent would boost attendances and give us the necessary numbers to compete

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

07 August, 2018 08:52
Signed for Braintree today!

Edit: I'm 3 days out of date.

(Sm163)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2018 08:56 by rossb07.

trfc-boi
trfc-boi (IP Logged)

07 August, 2018 13:14
AFC Fylde striker Danny Rowe is thought to be keen on a move to Cheltenham Town, but a £175,000 bid has been rejected by the National League

[www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2018 13:16 by trfc-boi.

pez
pez (IP Logged)

07 August, 2018 14:37
Think its time we gave up on Danny Rowe, were well out of the running with the fees that are being reported in various media snippets.

When was the last time Rovers paid a 6 figure fee for any player?

Unless Fylde concede massively and drop their valuation, were highly unlikely to get Rowe.

I hope Micky manages to pull off a bit of magic and being in at least one more decent signing before Thursday.

I believe we can still make loan signing until the end of August, so maybe Micky can make a few calls to some of his mates and arrange a deal that way?

Do we kbow any good young Strikers who may make a difference here?

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

07 August, 2018 14:52
think he'd be a terrible signing for us anywhere near the quoted prices.

happy to hold what we have and supplement with a loanee until the right person comes up.

i'd much prefer us to live within our means, be sensible and rely on good coaching and management to squeeze any extra edge out the players we have.

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

07 August, 2018 15:44
I think a loan of a lpool under 23 striker may be a possibility seeing as he would be used to playing here maybe

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

07 August, 2018 17:50
Quote:
coltran

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

07 August, 2018 17:57
Quote:
coltran
That argument does not really stack up clubs,especially for a striker are often prepared to pay high money.Ollie Watkins at Exeter was an example.His experience was entirely Div2 yet Brentford paid £2 million for him and a year later would be able to sell him on for considerably more.£100k is not a lot to pay for a goal scorer for a division below; it is simply too much for Tranmere to pay.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

07 August, 2018 20:22
Quote:
DevonExile
That argument does not really stack up clubs,especially for a striker are often prepared to pay high money.Ollie Watkins at Exeter was an example.His experience was entirely Div2 yet Brentford paid £2 million for him and a year later would be able to sell him on for considerably more.

It would depend on the circumstances.

Firstly does the club and it's circumstances permit the fee for said striker to remain real world value. Any big club could pay vast sums for players like Ronaldo and Pogba, but in truth real world value could potentially remain at around 1/3 of inflated value 24 hours later, so even if Brentford were seen as big enough at Championship level to pay £2,000,000 for a player and not keep the value, then having an initial value drop would mean the player would have to be really good to end up being worth more than £2,000,000 after 12 months.

If the initial real world value stablised at equal to or greater than purchase value, the player could sell for more, but he would still have to impress. Something in the order of 3 goals and 1-2 assists in his first 10 games, would go down well I would suggest, but 1 goal and / or an assist would hardly suggest the player could be an out and out striker at that level, barring later improvement in form.

Brentford may well have paid £2,000,000 for Watkins, but that does not mean they could automatically get more, even 12 months later just for having Championship status, as the circumstances would have to be right.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

07 August, 2018 20:25
Quote:
Matt34
Quote:
DevonExile
That argument does not really stack up clubs,especially for a striker are often prepared to pay high money.Ollie Watkins at Exeter was an example.His experience was entirely Div2 yet Brentford paid £2 million for him and a year later would be able to sell him on for considerably more.

It would depend on the circumstances.

Firstly does the club and it's circumstances permit the fee for said striker to remain real world value. Any big club could pay vast sums for players like Ronaldo and Pogba, but in truth real world value could potentially remain at around 1/3 of inflated value 24 hours later, so even if Brentford were seen as big enough at Championship level to pay £2,000,000 for a player and not keep the value, then having an initial value drop would mean the player would have to be really good to end up being worth more than £2,000,000 after 12 months.

If the initial real world value stablised at equal to or greater than purchase value, the player could sell for more, but he would still have to impress. Something in the order of 3 goals and 1-2 assists in his first 10 games, would go down well I would suggest, but 1 goal and / or an assist would hardly suggest the player could be an out and out striker at that level, barring later improvement in form.

Brentford may well have paid £2,000,000 for Watkins, but that does not mean they could automatically get more, even 12 months later just for having Championship status, as the circumstances would have to be right.

A player is worth what someone is willing to pay for the registration

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

07 August, 2018 20:46
In theory yes, but then certain clubs have undoubtedly in the past been mugging themselves off.

Look at Real Madrid when they wanted to sign Bale and Ronaldo whinged, as he wanted to remain the highest transfer fee in the world for longer and Bale would have topped it. It was impudent of him to think he could try and manipulate his paymasters into doing as he wished, which smacked of his usual arrogance, but the truth is they dropped their eventual offer and Spurs took it, so had Madrid done as initially wished, they would have shelled out roughly around £10,000,000 - £15,000,000 more for Bale than was required and even the fee paid may potentially have been a little higher than necessary.

Sometimes what seems like any price to get your man can be the wrong price, but if some clubs want to pay over the odds, then it's what their coffers and consciences can allow, regardless of the eventual impact of the signing.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

08 August, 2018 08:01
i dont get the 'real world value' and 'inflated value'

there is no 'real world value' or other other than the value clubs are willing to pay. the market decides the rate.

say a striker leaves a rich club for a huge amount - like when neymar left barca - the valuation of all comparable strikers goes up as there is another very big participant in the market to compete with. demand goes up, but the supply of strikers remains the same leading to rapid, seemingly overnight, price increases. you cant say that the pre-neymar valuation of his replacement dembele was more correct than the higher post-neymar price.

in the bale example - and we'll pretend your narrative is correct (although bale still cost more than ronaldo - madrid's valuation changes in the light of new information i.e. keeping ronaldo happy. its worth them lowering their valuation and risking a city or united out bidding them in order to keep their best player happy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2018 08:01 by mrGr33n13.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

08 August, 2018 08:52
My point was not about the level of fee. There seems to be an assumption in many postings that it is foolhardy to pay money for a player that has not yet played at the level of the bidding club.My point is that it is very common for clubs to pay a significant fee for players from a lower level. If the player is a success at the higher level then their value can go up further. In the case of a striker clubs may look at their scoring record but no doubt they also study the player to judge whether that player has the qualities needed to succeed

trfc-boi
trfc-boi (IP Logged)

08 August, 2018 16:47
What’s he worth ?
Speculation bids of £175,000 already turned down.
Without putting club at risk & potential talk of Notburn transfer, would AFC Flyde turn down £250,000 - £300,000?

pez
pez (IP Logged)

08 August, 2018 17:31
Even more reason why we shoyld have looked after Andy Cook a bit better when he was our player.

If Rowe is a £300k player then Walsall have really shafted us without using any lube!!!

paulbyron
paulbyron (IP Logged)

08 August, 2018 18:01
I don't think andy cook ever had any intention of staying to be honest

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

08 August, 2018 19:42
Quote:
mrGr33n13
i dont get the 'real world value' and 'inflated value'

Ever heard someone say about a massive transfer fee "no player is worth that much"?

That's because a player bought for say £200,000,000, isn't worth £200,000,000, let's be honest.

Someone can pay that much, but could they say the player had the same value the next day, not really.

It's like buying an Aston Martin for £110,000 and then saying it's still worth the same amount, when the buyer has parked it a mile or two away from the dealership in their driveway, by then it's probably worth at most £108,000 and it could become worth that much when it's parked 2 yards away from the dealers forecourt, but then that analogy could apply to a used car for £3,999.

Some players are bought at a certain price, but it doesn't necessarily mean they are absolutely worth the price, but when some people are prepared to pay X, then providing the player agrees it's a done deal whether the price is in line with the actual value of the player or it's inflated.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

08 August, 2018 20:09
what is a player 'worth' if not what someone is willing to pay for him?

how can anyone place an objective and intrinsic price on a footballer.

a player sold for 200m at that time was worth 200m to the team that paid that price.

there is no 'real' price other than that the market can bear.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

08 August, 2018 20:25

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2018 20:26 by TranmereFan.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

08 August, 2018 20:56
I would suggest that the price paid initially is speculative as there is an inherent risk of "loss" e.g. poor form, mediocre goal return, injury. The actual value or worth will be measured on the success of the player/team and related income over a period of time and also if the product is actually then deemed fit for purpose. Therefore, the initial value may be deemed as too much and not worth it if the return does not match the expected or speculated outcome. Some things in life do turn out to be a waste of money or over-priced; take the Shark (tut! football agents rearing their ugly heads) vacuum cleaner we paid a higher price for as it's performance was deemed exceptional; after a few initially promising manouevres, it turns out that a hooker with asthma has more suction. Footballers can also reflect such failures.
On a related theme, it makes my mind boggle to ponder what Steve Austin would be worth on today's market. Six million dollars seemed outlandish at the time; seems like an absolute snip in hindsight! Proper sci-fi prices now! Steve put these guys to shame; I never did see him kick a football though, which could sway the jury.

ming05
ming05 (IP Logged)

08 August, 2018 22:19
Do we even have 200 grand, that is the main point not what we think he value is.
If they turned down 175 grand then they will prob asking for closer to 250 grand I reckon and then with wages he is out our price range.

pez
pez (IP Logged)

08 August, 2018 22:24
Forget about Rowe, at least until January.

Obviously other clubs don't think he's worth the asking price, or he'd be signed up somewhere else by now.

We had the best Striker in the VNL and we somehow let him walk out on a free?

We are now reaping what we have sewn. .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2018 22:28 by pez.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

08 August, 2018 22:56
Phil I wish this forum had a like button haha

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

09 August, 2018 14:59
Various press reports today say that Fylde have had a £150k bid for Ayr striker Shankland rejected. Doesn't say if he'd have been a partner or replacement for Rowe, though I'd be surprised if they'd be willing to splash that sort of money without selling someone first.

pez
pez (IP Logged)

09 August, 2018 15:11
According to Twitter, Micky seems to imply that nobody will be coming in today, so that is that.

Looks like league survival is the remit for this season, and I wouldnt be surprised if Norwood is the next target to be poached unless a new deal is signed before January.

I realise we have to live by our means, but were looking like we havent got a pot to @#$%& in atm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2018 15:13 by pez.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

09 August, 2018 16:04
It may not be that bad but last year we heard that promotion was worth more than a million pounds at this point it does not seem as if any of that is helping us to retain our best talents. The contracted squad is smaller than last year so I wonder if the pay bill is any bigger. The squad at the end of last year felt better in terms of the national than does the current squad is for Div2 but it will take 8-10 games to really see how well equipped we are

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

09 August, 2018 16:14
Quote:
pez
According to Twitter, Micky seems to imply that nobody will be coming in today, so that is that.
Looks like league survival is the remit for this season, and I wouldnt be surprised if Norwood is the next target to be poached unless a new deal is signed before January.

I realise we have to live by our means, but were looking like we havent got a pot to @#$%& in atm.

it would appear like that, but hopefully we got something decent from norburn. while we require Lord Nors to perform well, part of me doesn't what him putting himself in the shop window too much

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

09 August, 2018 16:48
Quote:
DevonExile
It may not be that bad but last year we heard that promotion was worth more than a million pounds at this point it does not seem as if any of that is helping us to retain our best talents. The contracted squad is smaller than last year so I wonder if the pay bill is any bigger. The squad at the end of last year felt better in terms of the national than does the current squad is for Div2 but it will take 8-10 games to really see how well equipped we are

That’s because we haven’t, promotion saved the club, had we stayed NL half the ground was closing.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

09 August, 2018 21:33
Quote:
pez
Looks like league survival is the remit for this season,

Top 7 can still be a realistic aim and with loan signings possible, then being a make do kind of club this season, doesn't have to be the Tranmere mentality.

As long as the defense and goalkeeper maintain a fairly tight ship, there is a foundation for a potentially decent season and the midfield has the goals to make good on supporting the attack.

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

09 August, 2018 23:30
That's it matt positive thinking this whole forum seems to be 'oh woe is me the ship is sinking ' can't we all go back to may on a high and look forward

AndyMase
AndyMase (IP Logged)

09 August, 2018 23:39
Let's see how Saturday goes, but I was pleasantly surprised after Saturday performance, 100% better than the performance last year in the 1st game of the season, when we didn't look like we had a goal in us and no fluidity.

We need to reasses where we are10 games in not 1. Let's give the team a chance rather than moaning about lack of spending, and spend when we need to rather than just coz there is some money in the kitty

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

10 August, 2018 19:14
With the exception of a few negative posts, I believe generally most fans are still positive about the season and 3000+ have season tickets.

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

11 August, 2018 10:01
Quote:
pez
Forget about Rowe, at least until January.
Obviously other clubs don't think he's worth the asking price, or he'd be signed up somewhere else by now.

We had the best Striker in the VNL and we somehow let him walk out on a free?

We are now reaping what we have sewn. .

Trouble was he wanted to walk out himself,Cook wanted to leave to play in a higher league with a higher payday than with us.

pez
pez (IP Logged)

11 August, 2018 11:06
I heard there was a disagreement over money and Cook got wind of how much others were being paid?

He fell out with Micky, but Palios intervened as he was a big fan of Andy Cook.

Although any sign of a rift seemed to have disapeared in the latter half of the season, but maybe Cookie had already decided he was off by then.

If he was offered a new deal when the issue was first raised, then maybe hed still be here? Alrhough Keats tried to get him when he was Wrexham Manager for a pultry 30k if I rwmember rightly?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net