football
Latest News:

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

Memorable first fixtures of the season
04 August, 2018 09:02
The Brighton 2-0 win will stand out for many.Today is almost a parallel with the return to the league.
For me,however the most memorable never saw a ball kicked.It was the opening game of the 1956 season at home to Workington and was postponed because of rain. I was 11 at the time and the night before could not sleep for the excitement of a new season. What an anti climax.
At least there is no chance of that outcome today

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

Re: Memorable first fixtures of the season
04 August, 2018 09:54
I didnt go to that Brighton game but 2 years earlier i was at Fulham on the opening day after we had been promoted the season before from Div 4. We won 2~1 on a glorious sunny day, malkin got one of our goals but i cant remember our other scorer..jimmy hill was at the game and at the start of the match or at half time ( cant remember which ) he came out on to the pitch with a big boomimg microphone and spoke to the crowd asking them to donate to the Cottage fund..Fulham , at the time, were in danger of losing Craven Cottage as their home so this fund had been set up to try n keep them at the Cottage..i remember when hill walked out on to the pitch and all us Rovers fans on the old open away end overlooking the Thames greeted him with a chorus of boo's and chants of ' f*ck off chinny ya t*sser..lol.

MESSAGES->author
Gilbert's Fridge (IP Logged)

04 August, 2018 11:41
I remember we played Chester at home in our first game of the 1976-77 season after we'd won promotion from Division 4. We lost 1-0, with a spectacular own-goal from Dave Philpotts.

The highlights were shown the next day on Kick-Off (Gerald Sinstadt commentating), the first time I recall us being on the programme.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

04 August, 2018 12:09
Yes I was at the Brighton game at the old Goldstone ground .that was their last year at the old stadium .both goals scored by Aldridge

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

04 August, 2018 12:17
Stevenage v Tranmere 2018, 1st game back in the league 👍

the kav
the kav (IP Logged)

05 August, 2018 07:34
Quote:
hong kong rover
I didnt go to that Brighton game but 2 years earlier i was at Fulham on the opening day after we had been promoted the season before from Div 4. We won 2~1 on a glorious sunny day, malkin got one of our goals but i cant remember our other scorer..jimmy hill was at the game and at the start of the match or at half time ( cant remember which ) he came out on to the pitch with a big boomimg microphone and spoke to the crowd asking them to donate to the Cottage fund..Fulham , at the time, were in danger of losing Craven Cottage as their home so this fund had been set up to try n keep them at the Cottage..i remember when hill walked out on to the pitch and all us Rovers fans on the old open away end overlooking the Thames greeted him with a chorus of boo's and chants of ' f*ck off chinny ya t*sser..lol.

Was h.t he came out, tommy trinder fulhams ex chairman had died in the lead up to the game i remember... he was all over the programme. Eddie bishop got the winner

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

05 August, 2018 08:21
That’s going back a bit Kav .good old Tommy Trinder ,wasn’t his catch phrase” ,you Lucky people “ every comedian had one back in the day,was , Arthur Askey was “I thank you” how-dated all that seems these days

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

05 August, 2018 14:55
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
Yes I was at the Brighton game at the old Goldstone ground .that was their last year at the old stadium .both goals scored by Aldridge

Yes I was there for that one,loads of coaches in the carpark at PP early in the morning to go down to Brighton. I had paid for executive coach and most of them we're but for some reason there were a couple of coaches down because of demand from elsewhere.

So there's about two/three coach load of fan's waiting as the the coaches departed, someone from the club came out and reassured us the managed to get three more, well another two arrived dead smart up to date coaches leaving me and around thirty others then ours arrived in truth you wouldn't go to the end of the road on it(it had come from a local firm)but we had no choice but get on this heap.

All of the other coaches got there an hour to two hour's before kickoff,we managed to get there five minutes before kickoff,still what I remember best that day we're the Brighton
fan's chanting what a waste of money when Aldo got the ball,two goals later not a chant from them somehow that journey home wasn't so bad,still got back later than the rest.

MESSAGES->author

05 August, 2018 18:23
Quote:
the kav
Quote:
hong kong rover

Was h.t he came out, tommy trinder fulhams ex chairman had died in the lead up to the game i remember... he was all over the programme. Eddie bishop got the winner

yes spot on kav, u have a better memory than me. tommy trinder had just died a month or so earlier and it was all over the matchday programme. i can clearly remember jimmy hill speaking to the crowd and all us rovers fans booing him lol.. an interesting little side note about jimmy hill, kav, hill was very instrumental in bringing about the change from 2pts for a win to 3pts, with the whole idea that it would make for better attacking football and teams would go for the win.

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

05 August, 2018 19:12
And hill was the one who started the wage rise for players. I'm sure he would be amazed how that has escalated.

MESSAGES->author

06 August, 2018 01:33
Quote:
Loyden1
And hill was the one who started the wage rise for players. I'm sure he would be amazed how that has escalated.

yes thats correct Loyden and it was the old Fulham player Johnny Haynes that was the first player in England to earn £100 a week. different world nowadays lol

roger mellie
roger mellie (IP Logged)

07 August, 2018 10:09
Brighton all day for me. First time I had seen Aldridge play. Never seen anything anyone like him in a Tranmere shirt before. The Brighton fans who were so patronising before the game had all disappeared after the game!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net