football
Latest News:

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

an open letter to LFC fans
08 July, 2018 10:41
Dear Liverpool fans

When you descend to prenton park for your annual live football experience at the home of your local football league club, please bear something in mind before you condescend using the size and history of your club.

Your history does not impress us. Nor should it impress anyone.

You are a mid-tier European side capable of a decent cup run every decade or so. You can’t attract the best players anymore. You are the grass on which the big club like Chelsea, man city and Barcelona graze.

You have one world class player in your squad. Well actually it’s more correct to say that you have one player in your squad who has had a world class season. It’s too early to say if he is going to be a clive allen / guy whittingham esque phenom yet. But we definitely can’t bracket him with CR7 atm. If salah scores 40 a season for the next 13 years then he will have scored as many as CR7 has now. And he will be 38, and CR7 will likely have scored many more by then also.

Of course long before that happens Salah will have left you. Because that’s what good players do. You are not a big club in the eyes of players today. A decade or two ago the best will have gone to you on name alone: the history, the stories, famous nights. No longer.

Not long now before its 30 years since you last won the league and you have 1 european cup in 35 years. Let us put that into context. When you last won the league you could have said it was 30 years since burnley last won the league.

Take Salah. When he was 12 chelsea were just starting to dominate the premier league, and that after man u dominated. In his lifetime you have not won the league he grew up watching. Soon there will be players playing for England whose parents won’t be able to remember you winning the league.

You lose your best players to the likes city and Chelsea : the reverse isn’t true. Even Mr Liverpool himself was minutes away from joining Chelsea. Your history is now generational gaps away from the present. And not relevant. Older brothers used to talk of your greatness, now only dad’s can pass that on. Soon it will be granddads saying ‘when I was a lad…’

The next generation of players will have grown up watching football on 16k super wide screen TV, maybe on VR 360 headsets. The only footage that will exist of you winning the league will be VHS to digital renderings on niche YouTube channels with players with the physique and facial hair of Micky Quinn lumbering around soggy pitches. The comments section will be dominated by their granddad's talking about how real men played back then. You will be even less relevant than you are now.

You are to genuinely big clubs like city and barca what Southampton are to you. A mid tier cup side.

So when you come to PP please show some respect and don’t embarrass yourselves by thinking that men wearing full replica kits waving cod latin banners with 5 gold stars and prattling on about victories that happened generations ago impress anyone.

thanks

coltran
coltran (IP Logged)

Re: an open letter to LFC fans
08 July, 2018 11:09
What was the point of your post - Liverpool are doing us a favour here and we should be trying to maintain good relations with the club and their supporters

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

08 July, 2018 11:20
Thought they had 8 players from the squad at the World Cup too, so that’s 8 world class players.

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

08 July, 2018 11:24
Perhaps a point less post by O/P ,what Liverpool do or don't do doesn't help us.

The only thing that matters we're playing them in a local friendly that helps our funding that what counts, until we match them on financial or football levels or until a billionaire moves into PP and we can tell them to do one.

If they didn't play us in a friendly there would be post after post why can't they help us out with a friendly game it's a game helps match fitness etc.

Personally can't stand most of their fan's especially the TV one's as for many of them they are just good football fans for their club.

Play the game take their money and move on.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

08 July, 2018 11:31
sad....

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

08 July, 2018 11:40
lighten up boys, my whole extended family are LFC so i love em if not like borthers then at least as uncles.

nothing more than some gentle ribbing.

when did football become so anodyne?

i might get five gold stars tattooed on my back by way of saying thanks to them

oh, and TranmereFan: panama, saudi arabia and senegal were all at the world cup

so 69 world class player in those 3 squads, eh?

nerr

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

08 July, 2018 12:28
Quote:
mrGr33n13
lighten up boys, my whole extended family are LFC so i love em if not like borthers then at least as uncles.
nothing more than some gentle ribbing.

when did football become so anodyne?

i might get five gold stars tattooed on my back by way of saying thanks to them

oh, and TranmereFan: panama, saudi arabia and senegal were all at the world cup

so 69 world class player in those 3 squads, eh?

nerr

Well that’s subjective as to what denotes a world class player.....

trfc-boi
trfc-boi (IP Logged)

08 July, 2018 12:46
Really no need is there !

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

08 July, 2018 13:14
Quote:
TranmereFan

I'd say so, but the person quoted below doesnt agree with us:

Thought they had 8 players from the squad at the World Cup too, so that’s 8 world class players

Yiggsy
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

08 July, 2018 14:02
Dear Liverpool Fans,

Ignore the OP;we do.

oh and welcome to PP and thanks for coming.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

08 July, 2018 14:14
ITT closet Liverpool fans with no sense of humour get triggered...

Yiggsy
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

08 July, 2018 14:25
LOL.... I am open about being a Rovers bluenose!

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

08 July, 2018 14:28
Quote:
mrGr33n13
Quote:
TranmereFan

Thought they had 8 players from the squad at the World Cup too, so that’s 8 world class players

What isn’t subjective about that comment exactly?

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

08 July, 2018 14:29
Nice!

Everton are a handsome old football club.

Good people

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

08 July, 2018 14:31
Quote:
mrGr33n13
Nice!

Good people

The away fans of EFC are actually pretty violent, remember when they played us at Prenton Park some years back. And they were all stood on Borough road launching house bricks at us...

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

08 July, 2018 14:33
Quote:
TranmereFan
Quote:
mrGr33n13
Quote:
TranmereFan

Well the suggestion that as Liverpool have 8 players at the world cup they have 8 world class players rather suggests that being at the world cup = being world class.

It's an absolute statement really.

When presented with a reductio ad absurdum suggestion that suadi Arabia must therefore have 23 world class players you then claim that it's subjective and each player must be considered on merit.

The two posts are contridictory and cannot both be true.

Anyhoo...

Yiggsy
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

08 July, 2018 14:55
Quote:
TranmereFan
Quote:
mrGr33n13
Nice!

Good people

The away fans of EFC are actually pretty violent, remember when they played us at Prenton Park some years back. And they were all stood on Borough road launching house bricks at us...

Fair point, but Everton fans are more likely to emerge from the Crocky or Nogzy and have no problem getting home, whilst Libpool fans will be trying to catch the plane back to Oslo or Reykjavik so haven't got the time to throw bricks!

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

08 July, 2018 14:59
now now yiggsy.

you might upset any reds reading the forum.

and they might not play us next year if their feelings are upset.

good job liverpool fans have a famous sense of humour and dont take offense easily

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

08 July, 2018 15:02
Quote:
mrGr33n13
Quote:
TranmereFan
Quote:
mrGr33n13
Quote:
TranmereFan

Well the suggestion that as Liverpool have 8 players at the world cup they have 8 world class players rather suggests that being at the world cup = being world class.

It's an absolute statement really.

When presented with a reductio ad absurdum suggestion that suadi Arabia must therefore have 23 world class players you then claim that it's subjective and each player must be considered on merit.

The two posts are contridictory and cannot both be true.

Anyhoo...

Subjective of course. Over. Anyhoo...

WWStandsure
WWStandsure (IP Logged)

08 July, 2018 18:09
Here's another Rovers fan view:- Enjoy the game (it's a 'friendly warm up' for us also). Enjoy Prenton Park, And remember us when you cannot make it to watch LFC for whatever reason, perhaps you will recall that there is another 'Friendlier' atmosphere near by where you can go to (bring along the kids and/or a friend, enjoy the games, save on travel time and on your pocket, etc, etc), Most Rovers fans are quite Happy to have your team over for a run out pre-season. Welcome to Prenton Park, the home of Tranmere Rovers, Winners at Wembley 2018 (previous Wembley visits in 2017 and 2000). I repeat - Enjoy the game.

pez
pez (IP Logged)

08 July, 2018 18:58
Let's be totally honest here, this is purely a money making event which will be mostly attended by Liverpool fans willing to waste their money to claim bragging rights in work the next day.

I would not waste my hard earned cash or time on this Mickey Mouse pantomime regardless of whether or not Tranmere get money from it.

You will be lucky if Liverpool play any of their first team with the World Cup etc.

I work with quite a few Liverpool fans and their perception of their club is embarrassing. They think they have some define right to success because they are Liverpool, the reality is they are not the team they were, but fail to see what every other football fan sees.

I'd rather we gave them a wide berth and played friendlies against teams who are at the same level as ourselves.

They will beat us and be gloating over their corn flakes come Wednesday morning .

Apart from money, I don't see what we get out of this fixture at all, so I for one will not even consider attending this farce of a game.

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

08 July, 2018 19:26
Jeez I cannot believe the negativity and animosity posted on here . It is a game of football for Christ sake . The animosity toward others who support another club is farcical and in part quite venomous . Yes we all support our club and yes there is always a sense of tribalism but jeez , really ? I for one have been to the previous two and will be going on Tuesday . I applaud Klopp for playing these games . The kids are made up to see Mane , Firmino , Sturridge , Milner etc and look for autographs . It is a `friendly` match which brings much revenue and gives the players a game on their road to match fitness come the start of the season . If you don't want to go , fine , but let's stop being so childish and cynical about the whole thing .

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

08 July, 2018 19:58
It's a mutually beneficial (or positive symbiotic relationship, dependent on how arsey a description you want) and should be celebrated. I don't get this almost parasitic relationship being peddled. TRFC, LFC, EFC; often from the same spawn. My washing line periodically contains an LFC towel, EFC bedding, TRFC home shirt (my favourite son's!). I've tried indoctrinating all three, but thankfully (or sadly!) they have minds of their own; either that or I've failed big time as a father and it should be me that's hung out to dry!
I love the diversity and applaud the choice and wouldn't change it; now, if my third (and favourite) son hadn't "freely" chosen TRFC, my sentiments might be slightly different! Thank goodness for one bright, intelligent, perceptive (and easily led) young boy; only one of them has been to Wembley twice in 12 months! Question to his brothers "Now who's the stupid one?".
Interestingly, with a little subtle editing, the Billy Big Bollo*** description could be from the mouths of many of our opposition's supporters from the previous three seasons and aimed at us. It's a small world.
Finally, to every red shirt that visits PP "Thanks and come again". (Sm128)

pez
pez (IP Logged)

08 July, 2018 20:12
That's fine and I respect your opinions,however, one particular red fan at work took great delight in mocking McNulty after wed won promotion at Wembley, and made a statement like " no wonder Tranmere are so @#$%& if that's the best they can manage as a centre back" .

He took great delight in telling me how poor we played, despite playing for 89 minutes with 10 men.

So you can forgive me if I find Liverpool fans a had delusional.

I despise them with a passion as they really think they are this footballing ikon that everyone else should regard with envy?

They are living on a 30 year old reputation and have done nothing to suggest they are ever going to win the Premiership title.

I'm not being childish, I just find their arrogance very annoying and I envisage a pitch invasion should they beat us by their army of armchair supporters.

The whole affair is tacky and pointless.

I also noted that the Tweets have Liverpool emblazoned in a bigger type than Tranmere? Any particular reason for that?

Like I said earlier, your money , your choice but I prefer to stay in and wash my hair!

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

08 July, 2018 20:18
i support all the merseyside clubs and genuinely want them to do well.

however, if ever there was a group of fans ripe for picking when it comes to being deluded then its liverpool fans.

it's a mortal sin to point out that they are no longer a top tier club. their fans prickle at the very suggestion. as we have seen in this thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2018 20:19 by mrGr33n13.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

08 July, 2018 20:24
Anyone who feels compelled to write a rambling open letter laced with bitterness rather than humour to opposing fans might want to look at themselves before accusing others of being deluded.

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

08 July, 2018 20:47
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
Anyone who feels compelled to write a rambling open letter laced with bitterness rather than humour to opposing fans might want to look at themselves before accusing others of being deluded.
+1

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

08 July, 2018 20:50
Quote:
Uglybob
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
+1

+2 😂

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

08 July, 2018 21:12
As I've said, don't mind spending £20 on this. Couldn't make Dunfermline and would much rather chuck £20 in the pot at this match than against Wigan or Fleetwood.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

08 July, 2018 21:22
A full house is worth around 250k to us, which is pretty massive. The more the merrier, LFC or whoever!

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

08 July, 2018 23:44
Quote:
TranmereFan
A full house is worth around 250k to us, which is pretty massive. The more the merrier, LFC or whoever!
a man utd friendly would be well attended by there armchair fans. So let's just take the money like u would off a rich relative u didn't really like and be sure we can try and spend it wisely

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

09 July, 2018 06:30
Well for me there is a small matter of a game between France and Belgium on the box. LFC fans please spend as much money at our club as you can, but I for one won’t be attending because of a few points above, and yes the World Cup semi.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

09 July, 2018 11:28
Quote:
TranmereFan
Quote:
Uglybob
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
+1

+2 😂

+3

Reremnart
Reremnart (IP Logged)

09 July, 2018 12:40
Quote:
aktrfc
Well for me there is a small matter of a game between France and Belgium on the box. LFC fans please spend as much money at our club as you can, but I for one won’t be attending because of a few points above, and yes the World Cup semi.

The World Cup, as we all know, is of very little interest to the majority of most local LFC fans as Liverpool is not recognised as an independant country by FIFA, much to the scousers annoyance, and therefore do not partake in the competition. The country, for those who were interested and mainly supporting was quickly despatched back to the Land of the Pyramids without a single point weeks ago.

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

09 July, 2018 12:51
Quote:
Reremnart
Quote:
aktrfc

The World Cup, as we all know, is of very little interest to the majority of most local LFC fans as Liverpool is not recognised as an independant country by FIFA, much to the scousers annoyance, and therefore do not partake in the competition. The country, for those who were interested and mainly supporting was quickly despatched back to the Land of the Pyramids without a single point weeks ago.

[:wor kid:]

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

09 July, 2018 13:40
Quote:
Reremnart
Quote:
aktrfc

you do realise a significant number of Everton fans were born in Liverpool as well. and quite a few were brought up eating scouse, as were people in Birkenhead. So if anyone who ate scouse is a scouser, that covers most of merseyside.....

Yardleys Cat
Yardleys Cat (IP Logged)

09 July, 2018 15:59
I wonder what the point of this post is. If, as titled, it’s an open letter to Liverpool fans, why on earth is it on a Tranmere Forum. Maybe one or two reds fans will look at our postings but I suspect they are likely to be very much the exception rather than the rule.
Also, who is the open letter from, it certainly doesn’t seem to represent the vast majority of the views aired here. I would have thought that an open letter to Liverpool Fans, should be on a Liverpool Forum or somewhere in the wider public domain.

Maybe the author thinks his views are respected and well read here but most of the comments don’t seem to support that.

It reminds of of the type of tosh Dai Kwan Do used to post about us “you are are not a big club etc yawn etc”.

Now, I totally accept we are all entitled to post our views and opinions and it makes for healthy and sometimes amusing debate.

But this, complete and utter dirge, without point, neither amusing or informative, and certainly not helpful in any way shape or form (IMO).

Personally, I have no interest in Pre season friendlies but I warmly welcome LFC, their fans, and, most importantly, their money.

Dupak
Dupak (IP Logged)

09 July, 2018 16:51
Quote:
Yardleys Cat
I wonder what the point of this post is. If, as titled, it’s an open letter to Liverpool fans, why on earth is it on a Tranmere Forum. Maybe one or two reds fans will look at our postings but I suspect they are likely to be very much the exception rather than the rule.
Also, who is the open letter from, it certainly doesn’t seem to represent the vast majority of the views aired here. I would have thought that an open letter to Liverpool Fans, should be on a Liverpool Forum or somewhere in the wider public domain.

Maybe the author thinks his views are respected and well read here but most of the comments don’t seem to support that.

It reminds of of the type of tosh Dai Kwan Do used to post about us “you are are not a big club etc yawn etc”.

Now, I totally accept we are all entitled to post our views and opinions and it makes for healthy and sometimes amusing debate.

But this, complete and utter dirge, without point, neither amusing or informative, and certainly not helpful in any way shape or form (IMO).

Personally, I have no interest in Pre season friendlies but I warmly welcome LFC, their fans, and, most importantly, their money.

+1

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

09 July, 2018 19:19
Quote:
853OKG
Quote:
Reremnart
Quote:
aktrfc

you do realise a significant number of Everton fans were born in Liverpool as well. and quite a few were brought up eating scouse, as were people in Birkenhead. So if anyone who ate scouse is a scouser, that covers most of merseyside.....

At what point do I even mention EFC. So no I don’t realise! What is your point in reply to my post. At what point have I had a go at scousers? If you read my post, At this point I’m enjoying the World Cup too much to give a toss about them. I don’t eat vegetables, so that counts me out of eating scouse,I’d also imagine most have eaten stew, not scouse as there was no meat in scouse.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net