football
Latest News:

gazza102
gazza102 (IP Logged)

How many more players are needed?
26 June, 2018 17:30
Looking at the squad currently we have 18 players signed 3 of whom are goalkeepers.Three maybe's with Gumbs, Drysdale and Wallace. I would reckon we need another 5 signings at least . Eight would take us to 26. Eighteen will be needed for matchday squads.

jonesy792
jonesy792 (IP Logged)

Re: How many more players are needed?
26 June, 2018 18:00
Good article to read :
[footballleagueworld.co.uk]

Agree we need a sufficient replacement for Cook.

Shaumbra
Shaumbra (IP Logged)

26 June, 2018 21:06
on rovers rearguard it did say "It’s expected that Micky Mellon will bring in at least another three players before the season kicks-off in August, while there is set to be a number of trialists training with the club in the coming weeks."

TimmySoft
TimmySoft (IP Logged)

26 June, 2018 22:05
I’d like to see a veteran centre forward and two young centre mids, good enough to be substitutes but maybe not yet experienced enough for the start. On the whole I think we are looking decent and the signings so far have been very good.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

26 June, 2018 22:53
Veteran striker eh. How about Tejada the Panamanian? Twenty two in his last forty domestic games and most of those were at his previous club which has a stadium with over 80,000 capacity,

His current club have a stadium about the same as Prenton park so the surroundings won't overwhelm him and at 36 plenty of experience.

He'd do a number in league 2 I reckon. Come on Micky get your finger out.

Probably won't get a guy like him though.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

27 June, 2018 06:00
It all depends on the system we’re going to play. As far as I’m concerned, waring can go, so if we can replace him with a big man then I would be happy

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

27 June, 2018 06:54
At least another goalscorer suspect Mullins will get about 12 goals and Connor Jennings about 6 Norwood about 20 .a younger version of Macnulty would be good .things coming together quite well

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

27 June, 2018 09:21
As many as MM decides.

borowhite
borowhite (IP Logged)

27 June, 2018 10:23
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
At least another goalscorer suspect Mullins will get about 12 goals and Connor Jennings about 6 Norwood about 20 .a younger version of Macnulty would be good .things coming together quite well

Can't see any other CB's coming in with Ellis and Monthe already added

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

27 June, 2018 10:57
Another CM, another flair player, another striker

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

27 June, 2018 21:52
A flair player could be hard to come by, unless Micky knows anyone who can loan him a Colombian U-20, or some such player.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

27 June, 2018 22:01
Quote:
Matt34
A flair player could be hard to come by, unless Micky knows anyone who can loan him a Colombian U-20, or some such player.

One could say we’ve had few in the recent past

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

27 June, 2018 22:10
Well I suppose Tollit qualifies and he's not Hispanic at all (Sm7)

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

28 June, 2018 16:32
With 10 out and just 4 in so far we must be looking for at least 3-4 additional signings.I suspect that we will also be looking to loan out Waring.
Thus far the four recruited look better on paper than most brought in last summer.I wonder now that we can offer league football whether there is a chance of taking a young loan striker from either Everton or Liverpool

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

28 June, 2018 17:09
A goalie which we won't sign but otherwise we are good too many additions can weaken morale, we've recruited good quality in key areas.

My starting team would be

Davies
Buxton Monthe Sutton Ellis Ridehalgh
Norburn Banks
Jennings
Norwood Waring

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/06/2018 17:10 by Higgosboots.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

28 June, 2018 20:27
If Waring who was not remotely close to playing last year is to be picked for us at a higher level then we really do need to sign a striker. Some have argued that Cooke was unproven at league level but there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that Waring is worthy a place

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

28 June, 2018 20:47
Quote:
Higgosboots
A goalie which we won't sign but otherwise we are good too many additions can weaken morale, we've recruited good quality in key areas.

Davies
Norburn Banks
Jennings
Norwood Waring

No Mullin?

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

28 June, 2018 20:56
Quote:
Higgosboots

Davies
Norburn Banks
Jennings
Norwood Waring

If you want a back 5 with wing backs then Bucko's not your man. And Ridehalgh will be suspended for the opening game at least. I'd forget Waring too.

Think we'll try both formations (3-5-2 and 4-4-2) in the friendlies and start with whatever's looking best.

Think we've another few to come through the door yet so too early for me to call the team.

mini_andy
mini_andy (IP Logged)

28 June, 2018 21:01
Waring got dropped from Kidderminster, I doubt he’ll be remotely close to our team!

martyd12
martyd12 (IP Logged)

28 June, 2018 21:08
I am hoping Tollitt will be fit and raring to go! I understand our signing today has pace and clearly as he has been given a 2 year contract must be highly thought of. Larnell Cole must be close to the team to give more width to the side. We will certainly have a useful bench!

martyd12
martyd12 (IP Logged)

28 June, 2018 21:19
I would now be happy just to sign a proven goal scorer

jonesy792
jonesy792 (IP Logged)

28 June, 2018 21:34
Quote:
Higgosboots

Davies
Norburn Banks
Jennings
Norwood Waring

I think and hope we can do a lot better than that. No natural pace or width in midfield , and Waring starting?? Powderpuff attack

WWStandsure
WWStandsure (IP Logged)

28 June, 2018 22:22
As of 28th June the team 'In's and Out's' - has been quite as one might have predicted very good transfers so far (Waring & Ridehalgh still with one year contracts if I am correct, otherwise I would have prefered not to have either in the side, plus I did not think much of Drysdale one performance towards the end of last season), I am still expecting to see another winger and a couple of forwards added to the squad, overall so far it all appears to be going well.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

29 June, 2018 08:20
Quote:
jonesy792
Quote:
Higgosboots

Davies
Norburn Banks
Jennings
Norwood Waring

I think and hope we can do a lot better than that. No natural pace or width in midfield , and Waring starting?? Powderpuff attack

Wing backs. Norwood chasing stuff over the top, Waring in there to hold stuff up and bring Jenno/Banks wingback in when we just need to get rid from the back. Can be changed up bringing Cole, Tollitt, Mullin on from the bench and going 442

People forget your strikers aren't just in there to score 20 goals. Norwood has improved 10 fold under Mellon much more rounded player, imo of last seasons front 2 he is the more likely to impress and score 20 at this level. We have to have someone alongside who is capable of just holding the ball up and relieving pressure at the back.

AndyMase
AndyMase (IP Logged)

29 June, 2018 17:39
Agreed higgo. If we have to lose one of the 2 strikers i would prefer it was cook. I was always critical of Nors but I think he improved significantly last season and hopefully more to come.

Obviously, ideally we wouldn't have lost either striker

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

29 June, 2018 20:34
Quote:
AndyMase
Agreed higgo. If we have to lose one of the 2 strikers i would prefer it was cook. I was always critical of Nors but I think he improved significantly last season and hopefully more to come.
But few would see Waring as the replacement for Cook.That would be a Hugh step bacwards

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

29 June, 2018 20:56
Quote:
DevonExile
Quote:
AndyMase
But few would see Waring as the replacement for Cook.That would be a Hugh step bacwards

Maybe, but maybe not as Waring has more League goals than Cook currently does so in some people's minds then he's the better ST.

Personally won't judge the lad if indeed he is the replacement as no-one is yet to see him play properly for a length of time.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

29 June, 2018 22:43
Quote:
rossb07
Quote:
DevonExile
Quote:
AndyMase

Maybe, but maybe not as Waring has more League goals than Cook currently does so in some people's minds then he's the better ST.

Personally won't judge the lad if indeed he is the replacement as no-one is yet to see him play properly for a length of time.

I will judge him particularly based on his short cameo non performance in the 0-0 draw at Ebbsfleet. He was only on for a few minutes but couldn't even be bothered running for the ball or putting any pressure on their defence. Disgraceful attitude and I was quite happy not to have seen much of him after that.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

29 June, 2018 23:19
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
rossb07
Quote:
DevonExile
Quote:
AndyMase

I will judge him particularly based on his short cameo non performance in the 0-0 draw at Ebbsfleet. He was only on for a few minutes but couldn't even be bothered running for the ball or putting any pressure on their defence. Disgraceful attitude and I was quite happy not to have seen much of him after that.

I remember that game and agree with the sentiment.

I honestly don't think he'll lead the line come August 4th but if he does then he'll have impressed those who pick the side.

Definitely want to see something from him in pre-season though...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/06/2018 23:19 by rossb07.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

30 June, 2018 08:12
He was found wanting at Ha.ifax and even at Kiddiminster.How much more evidence do we need that he is inadequate.It was a poor signing and I hold to my point that if he had not been given a two year contract he would now be out of the door.We need another strikerand the best that we can do with Waring is to find some other mug to take him on loan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/06/2018 12:34 by DevonExile.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

30 June, 2018 09:48
So wedded to having a big man any lump will do? The lumpiest lump at the club has to be the lump up front as there must be a lump to lump to?

And we're a club with king and Worthington in our DNA.

lol football fans

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

30 June, 2018 10:54
Can't see anyone saying "any lump will do"...quite the opposite in fact, given the comments about Waring.

Kingy is indeed in the club's DNA. The same Kingy who brought in Jim Steel to partner Muiry because trying to play through teams with Muir and McKenna up front wasn't working, and the same Kingy who preferred the "lump" (and he was called far worse at the time) Malkin rather than Muir alongside Aldo. Two big (but not lumpy ;-)) factors behind Kingy's success, and why he became part of the club's DNA in the first place.

We're short of strength, height and ability to hold the ball up front at the moment. Hopefully that'll be addressed soon.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

30 June, 2018 12:06
King signed very few forwards over 6ft tall, Malkin maybe his only one (if he did sign malks, I can't remember) He did everything he could to implement a different way of playing through coyne(The coyne aldo partnership is a frightening prospect to consider) and cooper.

his last seasons he had moved away completely from the having a target man and all his forwards were under 6ft

Pragmatically he played with malks who was also lightening quick. But he tried his best to sign forwards to partner Muir and aldo that were actual players. There's nothing to suggest that he simply stuck with the tallest players he had around. Quite the opposite.

The idea that we have to play our tallest striker even if he's a lazy oaf who didnt look like wanting to break a sweat when the going gets tough is lollers.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

30 June, 2018 12:10
Also perhaps one of the very best players at holding a ball up and leading a line in recent times was Kevin Davis was was barely 6ft. Mark hughes, shearer come to mind as well. Height is way overrated in football.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

30 June, 2018 13:43
When I said height I more accurately meant aerial ability. Aerial ability, strength and ability to hold the ball up are what we're lacking up front at the moment and, assuming Warng isn't good enough to give us that, I'd expect MM to address it before the season starts.

Seemed to be a buzz on social media last night that a deal to get Rowe had been done. Who knows, but it'd be good to get somebody in before they head up to Scotland for the training camp next week.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net