football
Latest News:

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

Ah well Who is going to win the World Cup?
13 June, 2018 21:49
With all this no football on, might as well chat about some Cup in Russia?

I’m going with Argentina! and Messi top scorer for the Tournament.

Yiggsy
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

Re: Ah well Who is going to win the World Cup?
13 June, 2018 22:43
Back to lay is Denmark at over 100-1.

Think they will get out of the group and could surprise someone in the next round.

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

13 June, 2018 22:59
Who cares ?

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

13 June, 2018 23:40
Quote:
Tranmere69
Who cares ?
they might bring home the bacon.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

14 June, 2018 00:31
Panama, just for being in the tournament must have a chance; but I seriously doubt they will win.

England have the best chance in ages. A group with a novice team in it and a tournament with no Holland or Italy. Two big teams not making it and Argentina sailed close to missing out, so how confident would they be?

Spain getting rid of Lopategui at the eleventh hour, after his confirmation as Real Madrid manager and bringing in a swift replacement, Could that affect team unity and play in to other teams hands.

Still a solid lineup of teams in the tournament, but without the two aforementioned big teams, possibly the least skillful collection of talent in a World Cup for many a year.

Pretty much all the top 20 FIFA ranked teams in the competition, of which England surely is one, muight think it's their best chance to win a big tournament in years, regardless of how many they have or haven't won in the past.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

14 June, 2018 08:17
As Tranmere69 says who cares ,used to enjoy the World Cup and the FA cup but now in both cases just don’t care I think it’s due to the antics of these spoilt ,overpaid prima donnas I seen a car yesterday with the England flag on rear doors ,and thought “poor deluded sod”.but if asked I think Belgium might win it ,.but don’t discount Russia ,if Putin wants to win it Who knows .i would wear asbestos gloves when opening doors ☠️

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

14 June, 2018 08:41
I care 😂 I quite like the World Cup! It’s the only time I watch the national teams other than the Euros. Looking forwards to a month of football! ⚽️⚽️⚽️

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

14 June, 2018 08:47
Love the world cup.

The kits, the stadiums the fans. Minnows facing off against the imperialists of the game, that random player who lights the tournament up and the stately pace of international tournament football. Players kissing the badge and meaning it.

Bring it on

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

14 June, 2018 08:48
Oh and Uruguay are my outside tip

trfc-boi
trfc-boi (IP Logged)

14 June, 2018 09:48
No way

cabletastic
cabletastic (IP Logged)

14 June, 2018 10:27
Germany is my sensible bet, Belgium my outsider.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

14 June, 2018 11:13
Quote:
trfc-boi
No way

Two goal scorers and a lively midfield, should avoid Germany and Brazil if they win their group and they should be up against Portugal as a way into the last 8.

Worse outside bets in there.

Dupak
Dupak (IP Logged)

14 June, 2018 13:06
I'll be going for Uruguay as well then, as mrGr33n13 has proved a master of common sense and thought provoking logic in the last few weeks. He can't possibly be wrong.

Eric01 Tranmere
Eric01 Tranmere (IP Logged)

14 June, 2018 13:18
I'm really looking forward to it. Putin will use it as a vanity project but which country wouldn't. I imagine if it were held in England we'd have politicians and royalty crawling all over it to show how great they are. We can just enjoy the football.

MESSAGES->author
Gilbert's Fridge (IP Logged)

14 June, 2018 14:21
I always seem to watch the first few matches and then get bored.

I honestly couldn't name a single England player.

My best memory is Aldo's argument at the 1994 World Cup against Mexico with the 4th official ... brilliant!! And he scored.

Fiftyyearsarover

14 June, 2018 15:33
Don’t forget it’s starts 4pm today Ko time .

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

14 June, 2018 15:42
Just watched the opening ceremony... very erm.. well Manchester arena with Robbie Williams really, wasn’t Russia anyway...

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

14 June, 2018 16:06
France or Germany for me.. France have some good exciting players and if they gel I think they can match anyone. Problem with France in these major tournaments is that there is never any in-between with them. They either fail spectacularly with lots of internal football politics bollox and big bust ups and fall outs within their squad/camp OR they do very well and go far. I think they can win it this year...Never write the Germans off though, preparation for these big tournaments is very important and the Germans are always prepared well..Teamwork is their main strong point and it always has been, they also have a manager who understands the world cup, they never give up and as they often do, they don't pick their best players, THEY pick their best team, and this has been proven in this tournament with Joachim Low leaving out Man Citys Leroy Sane from his squad. you never get brilliant German sides but you always get typical German sides and typical German sides win things...

MESSAGES->author

14 June, 2018 16:08
got the Russia v Saudi game on now, I didn't see the opening ceremony... crappy Russian joke... I hate Russian dolls, they are full of themselves.

MESSAGES->author

14 June, 2018 16:12
the ruskies are 1 up with an early goal

MESSAGES->author

14 June, 2018 16:28
Has everyone got their World Cup Wallchart up? I have, lol.

MESSAGES->author

14 June, 2018 17:34
looks like the Saudi's world cup is over already. they have looked truly woeful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/06/2018 17:54 by hong kong rover.

Mattc777
CaptainFriendly (IP Logged)

14 June, 2018 17:54
Quote:
Gilbert's Fridge

My best memory is Aldo's argument at the 1994 World Cup against Mexico with the 4th official ... brilliant!! And he scored.

Rashford/wellbeck??/Henderson

Pretty sure I've got at least two there.

I'll try and make an effort this year and get my 7 year old a big wall chart. It's one of the few times we're allowed to show some pride about being English.

MESSAGES->author

14 June, 2018 17:56
Quote:
CaptainFriendly
Quote:
Gilbert's Fridge

I'll try and make an effort this year and get my 7 year old a big wall chart. It's one of the few times we're allowed to show some pride about being English.

i am 52 years old and still put my wallchart up lol

Temple Road
Temple Road (IP Logged)

14 June, 2018 18:07
Quote:
hong kong rover
Quote:
CaptainFriendly
Quote:
Gilbert's Fridge

i am 52 years old and still put my wallchart up lol

Hi HKR how you doing 52 just a lad I have a wall chart and a World Cup information Book.

Keep the Faith mate

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

14 June, 2018 18:16
Quote:
hong kong rover
Has everyone got their World Cup Wallchart up? I have, lol.

Think most have a World Cup Dartboard up on here instead ....

Mattc777
CaptainFriendly (IP Logged)

14 June, 2018 18:24
Hang on. I couldn't find any, other than crappy A4 size pullouts from crappy newspapers

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

14 June, 2018 21:00
[www.devonlive.com]

There, we can all have one now. It's a bit slow loading, but that might just be my IPad. Anybody persuaded their kids to collect the stickers yet for purely selfish reasons!
I'll stick my neck out, take a big gamble and go for .................Germany!

MESSAGES->author

15 June, 2018 09:57
Salah v Suarez at the World Cup today..Portugal v Spain should be interesting too. Have Spain shot themselves in the foot with their manager leaving on the eve of the tournament?

MESSAGES->author

15 June, 2018 10:02
I wonder if Suarez the Uruguayan Vampire will be sinking his teeth into any of the Egyptians today?
I always thought that the most fitting punishment for Suarez over those biting incidents should have been the extraction of all his teeth lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/06/2018 10:15 by hong kong rover.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

15 June, 2018 12:35
Quote:
hong kong rover
Salah v Suarez at the World Cup today..Portugal v Spain should be interesting too. Have Spain shot themselves in the foot with their manager leaving on the eve of the tournament?

Salah not starting...

MESSAGES->author

15 June, 2018 13:14
Quote:
TranmereFan
Quote:
hong kong rover

Salah not starting...

hi Tranmere fan, have u seen this stadium at the Egypt v Uruguay game? its a bit mad eh! one of the stands that is high up behind the goal is a long way back and is actually outside the perimeter of the stadium, its only a temporary stand coz they had to construct it to take the capacity up to 35,000 seats which is a FIFA requirement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/06/2018 13:18 by hong kong rover.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

15 June, 2018 13:21
Quote:
hong kong rover
Quote:
TranmereFan
Quote:
hong kong rover

Salah not starting...

hi Tranmere fan, have u seen this stadium at the Egypt v Uruguay game? its a bit mad eh! one of the stands that is high up behind the goal is a long way back and is actually outside the perimeter of the stadium, its only a temporary stand coz they had to construct it to take the capacity up to 35,000 seats which is a FIFA requirement.

Hey HKR, yeah, it’s mad, just shown the view from the back of it too, looks like a game of Ant football ! Glad I didn’t pay to watch that!

MESSAGES->author

15 June, 2018 13:27
Quote:
TranmereFan
Quote:
hong kong rover
Quote:
TranmereFan
Quote:
hong kong rover

Salah not starting...

Hey HKR, yeah, it’s mad, just shown the view from the back of it too, looks like a game of Ant football ! Glad I didn’t pay to watch that!

lol, both the architect and the stadium are on the p*ss.

MESSAGES->author

15 June, 2018 20:53
stayed up to watch Portugal v spain and glad I did to, one helluva game and it may well turn out to be the game of the tournament, that Ronaldo is something else.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

15 June, 2018 21:05
Ronnie's a monster. Unique player in so many ways

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

15 June, 2018 21:09
Just watched that game it was worthy of being the final,but there's a lot of games to go yet.

We haven't seen England's silky skill's yet ànd the might put these two in the shade.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

15 June, 2018 21:14
That free kick under that pressure was breathtaking

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

15 June, 2018 21:18
His mental game is on point. Never shirks responsibility, has all the expectation on his shoulders and has produced for over a decade.

Incredible

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

15 June, 2018 22:02
Absolutely superb game of football . Ronaldo , love him or hate him is a winner . His free kick , Nacho`s goal and Spain's football overall was why we watch football . Awesome .

Uglybob
Uglybob (IP Logged)

15 June, 2018 22:04
Forgot to mention I've got dollar on Spain and Belgium to win it .

MESSAGES->author

16 June, 2018 08:16
agree with everyones comments about the spain portugal game n ronaldo . if the rest of the world cup games are half as good as that then we should be in for a treat.

ming05
ming05 (IP Logged)

16 June, 2018 12:00
Don't watch it myself, but will be the usual , Brazil, Germany, Spain, Argentina and Iran.

Fiftyyearsarover

16 June, 2018 17:35
I am still hanging in there on the can’t be bothered front ,but plenty of cricket on including the superb England women’s team .all next week to who needs the World Cup ,but will watch England

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

16 June, 2018 23:47
I reckon either Greenland, Zambia, Gotland, Jersey or the Isle Of Man will win the next Island Cup Of Nations.

I don't really follow it and I don't think it gets any TV coverage, as it's a competition for mostly non FIFA registered teams, but as a wild stab I'd go for those 5.

I suspect Anglesey or the Asland Islands won't win it.

Although if it was to get TV coverage I'd hazard a guess and says BT sport would buy the rights for £50,000.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/06/2018 23:48 by Matt34.

MESSAGES->author

17 June, 2018 16:15
Fully expecting England to huff n puff and make heavy work of qualifying from a group that many would say should be relatively easy to progress from. No matter how weak Englands group opponents are it is still a group of death for England, that's how bad we are at major tournaments. I haven't watched them for 2 years now, not since the Iceland shambles at the 2016 Euros. I have refused to watch them. The Tunisia game will be at 2am here in HK and a big group of mates will be out in a 24 hour bar watching the game so I will probably join up with them to see the match, but I am not expecting anything great from England and of course there is always a chance we won't get beyond the group stage... Was impressed with Peru yesterday and thought they were really unlucky against Denmark.

MESSAGES->author

17 June, 2018 16:46
Mexico 1 Germany 0 at half time, the Mexicans are playing without any fear and look real quick on the counter attack and they've been hitting the Germans on the break a few times in this first half, the Germans looking a little rattled here but they are not panicking just yet. Mexico have been great going forward. The Germans don't know what is hitting them at times, if Mexico can play like this then they will cause a lot of problems for many teams and could go far in this tournament.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 17/06/2018 17:03 by hong kong rover.

MESSAGES->author

17 June, 2018 17:35
Germany looking much better in this 2nd half, how we would normally think they would play, but can they find an equalizer? or can the Mexicans hold on or punish them on the break again?

MESSAGES->author

17 June, 2018 17:48
Mexico win 1-0. a real compelling game to watch. very enjoyable. a superb display of counter attacking football.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/06/2018 18:00 by hong kong rover.

prentonpete1
prentonpete1 (IP Logged)

18 June, 2018 16:57
Panama playing in one of our old strips.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

18 June, 2018 17:27
Quote:
prentonpete1
Panama playing in one of our old strips.

Playing like we used to play too

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

18 June, 2018 23:26
I can't see another thread so turgid old England will continue to progress until they meet a team who can mark Harry.

MESSAGES->author

19 June, 2018 00:31
for the opening 20 mins england played football like ive never seen before, they sliced tunisia apart and created many chances with some great interchanges n passing and they attacked at will and they could n should have been about 3 up. it actually looked like a real statement of intent that england could take this tournament on ,but it was short lived when on the 30 min mark tunisia were awarded n scored from the spot from an absolute diabolical decision from the ref. and from then on it was the same old england. no imagination whatsoever from our midfield. a real lack of a player who could get hold of the ball and do something with it. as for the england captain harry kane, i never heard his name mentioned once in that entire 2nd half until he popped up with that last gasp winner. from what ive seen of the tournament so far, there are many big nations that have underperformed so far in their opening games but they would still beat england. if we can play like we did in that opening 15/ 20 mins then we have a chance. but for the remaining 60/70 mins not a cat in hells chance.

MESSAGES->author

19 June, 2018 00:41
as for raheem sterling it surely has to be close to last chance saloon for him in an england shirt. an unbelievably overrated player.

MESSAGES->author

19 June, 2018 01:02
from what ive seen from the likes of mexico peru iceland they would do england

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)

19 June, 2018 08:33
Quote:
hong kong rover
as for raheem sterling it surely has to be close to last chance saloon for him in an england shirt. an unbelievably overrated player.

I can't think of one positive thing he did (or does really). He runs into blind alleys like a headless chicken, the ball bounces off him at such an appalling rate I struggle to work out how he ever got scouted, he can't pass to a team mate and finishes about one chance in 6. Rashford contributed more in his first 5 minutes than Sterling did in his entire 65. And it's not like it's a new phenomenon either!

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

19 June, 2018 08:56
Quote:
hong kong rover
as for the england captain harry kane, i never heard his name mentioned once in that entire 2nd half until he popped up with that last gasp winner

Reminds me of Cook in that regard, 2 real poachers goals and if not for him popping up there then could've been a different outcome.

We've seen some other nations have worse games and it's only the first game so can't imagine anyone will be at full throttle just yet. I'm not saying they can win the thing but like you've said, if they play like the first 20mins in a big game then they could do some damage to a team caught off guard.

Panama may just sit back and counter so chances need to be took early on.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

19 June, 2018 10:30
Raheem is immense.

Anyone thinking otherwise probably doesn't believe in evolution or can't understand where the sun goes at night.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

19 June, 2018 10:54

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/06/2018 10:55 by mrGr33n13.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

19 June, 2018 11:00
He's certainly not immense.

Throughout the season with City he's got into the right positions with a host of decent playmakers who will find him anywhere in the final third. Something England don't have in extreme quantities.

I will say that his footwork is extremely good but agree with others when they say that he finds himself drifting out into channels that just kill any attack.

Odd thing for me is that a lot of people say he's our paciest player, i'd disagree with that as he just looks like he's moving fast in the same way Larnell Cole does because his feet move 3 times as fast as anyone else's. There were at least 4 times he and a 6 foot 2+ defender were chasing after the ball and he was left in the dust.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

19 June, 2018 11:26
Well the opta stats that aren't biased by how quickly you perceive his little legs moving have him as being faster than mane and Salah - the 15th fastest in auguably the league where pace has the highest premium.

And his finishing is by far the weakest part of his game, and yet he had 20 odd goals last year and I think by age he is comparable with Messi and Ronaldo.

Yes he is in a boss team. But the hardest part of playing in a side like city's is being good enough to get a regular start in the first place.

And the reason for that is coaches like guardiola have a deeper appreciation of the game than relying on how fast his little legs appear to be whirring. lol

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

19 June, 2018 11:53
The only appreciation Guardiola has is for how open and big the owner's wallet is...

I appreciate your following for Opta stats but their findings are based on a very small percentage of a players game and if we want to use them then Koscielny is faster than all 3 (Salah, Mane & Sterling) so it shows that stats and the findings are sometimes misleading.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

19 June, 2018 12:59
He probably is faster than this two.

Of course all objective data and the subjective concensus of most informed people could be wrong and your theory about his little legs being the sporting equivalent of an Escher illusion correct, but I known where id place my bets.

Any way, he's a boss and if you don't agree you don't know your Morrisons from your Morrisseys when it comes to football.

So ner!

MESSAGES->author

19 June, 2018 13:01
don't really care what sterling does in a man city shirt, am only interested in what he can bring to the England team and imo he doesnt bring much..thought england were immense in that opening 15/20 mins, they ran the Tunisians ragged and they created so many chances and could have been 3 or 4 up with the game put to bed if not for poor finishing. but a game of football isnt just about the opening 20 mins. englands 2nd half performance was like how they normally play.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

19 June, 2018 14:30
Quote:
mrGr33n13
He probably is faster than this two.
Of course all objective data and the subjective concensus of most informed people could be wrong and your theory about his little legs being the sporting equivalent of an Escher illusion correct, but I known where id place my bets.

Any way, he's a boss and if you don't agree you don't know your Morrisons from your Morrisseys when it comes to football.

So ner!

I like how you've imagined me to have come up with a theory just because you're firmly sat on his shaft. My quote was his feet move faster than others so please stick to the facts...

I've never said he isn't a good player either so you keep up with the friend making on here pal. smiling smiley

Last thing i post on Sterling, if he was so 'boss', then he would've lasted the full 90 and bagged a brace. Which coincidentally is his total amount of goals in an England shirt. Speaks for itself really as he is played as a ST...

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

19 June, 2018 19:47
Sterling seems to consistently get tangled in his own legs in an England shirt

belmont63
belmont63 (IP Logged)

19 June, 2018 22:52
No idea who Mr green is or why (s)he positions itself as the irritant that produses no pearls but (s)he overlooks the truism of lies, damned lies and opta.
Second whatever sterling's opta score as a footballer he suffers from the fairly fundamental flaw that he can't kick a football properly. Whatever his leg movements or pace just watch what happens when he tries to shoot or cross. And there's his chronic medical diving condition. Finally look how England improved when southgate had his epiphany and took sterling off.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

20 June, 2018 00:18
Eh lads. Dont get irritated by my rather charming way of getting my point across and take things personally. There's room for all sorts of opinions here.

You lot think raheem has little legs and can't kick a football, I think he's boss.

Now I happen to be clearly right and you boys laughably wrong on this gravely important topic, but for the love of the children reading, don't take it to heart.

lol.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net