football
Latest News:

dicko111
dicko111 (IP Logged)

Contract extensions
04 June, 2018 09:58
Why are TRFC not in the habit of offering extended contracts to those that have only a year left .Cant remember last time any TRFC player was offered one .Dont want to loose Norwood anytime soon

WWStandsure
WWStandsure (IP Logged)

Re: Contract extensions
04 June, 2018 10:40
I would suggest that as we do not know 'what is on the managers table' right now, it is somewhat difficult to figure this one out. We are not privy to what has been offered and to whom, I guess only time will tell on this issue. Noting that many players are away on holidays right now and as contracts are up at the end of June - there could well be several deals just not yet finalised. Be interesting to see what develops by mid July it seems. Any advance on SIX new contracts to the squad.......the shape of things to come....

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

04 June, 2018 10:52
In recent seasons I reckon it's because we've not known which league we'd be in the following season. So we couldn't offer an attractive extension on something like FL terms if we were to end up being stuck in the National and, likewise, why would a player sign on National League terms if we then went and got promotion a few months later.

Of course that's why we end up with our top scorer leaving for nothing but what terms could we possibly have offered him in January to make him sign up then, especially if he was desperate to play in the FL? Just one of those things.

As for Norwood, the situation had crossed my mind too. Maybe there is an extension in the offing but, if not, and assuming he does adapt well to the FL, I'd hope we'd be looking to extend his deal before winter comes.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

04 June, 2018 12:21
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
In recent seasons I reckon it's because we've not known which league we'd be in the following season. So we couldn't offer an attractive extension on something like FL terms if we were to end up being stuck in the National and, likewise, why would a player sign on National League terms if we then went and got promotion a few months later.
Of course that's why we end up with our top scorer leaving for nothing but what terms could we possibly have offered him in January to make him sign up then, especially if he was desperate to play in the FL? Just one of those things.

As for Norwood, the situation had crossed my mind too. Maybe there is an extension in the offing but, if not, and assuming he does adapt well to the FL, I'd hope we'd be looking to extend his deal before winter comes.

+1 Absolute necessity.

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

04 June, 2018 16:29
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy

+1 Absolute necessity.

thats the same for all clubs, you can be in the prem, but you dont know you are going to be there next year. this is exactly what i posted in another thread. its all about the gamble

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

04 June, 2018 18:06
Finances pure and simple

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

04 June, 2018 18:38
It's not just financial, it's about the player's aspirations too. An extension has to be right for both parties, and the gamble cuts both ways.

Using Cookie as an example, even if we'd offered him the moon to sign an extension months ago, do you think he'd have signed it? The lad was desperate to play FL and probably knew he'd get offers in the summer so he was hardly going to tie himself down to possibly another year of non-league football.

AndyMase
AndyMase (IP Logged)

05 June, 2018 13:00
Correct, extensions mid contract are rarely seen these days other than the top clubs who are not to worried about the finances and know they can always sell a top quality player without to much issue and the player knows ultimately they can leave and still get a massive financial package even when under contract

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)

05 June, 2018 13:13
It takes two parties to agree to a contract.

What incentive is there for an established young/prime player to agree to an extension when they know they will be a free agent when it runs out? If they are good enough to be offered an extension, they are good enough to know they will have a few offers and could possibly get more money on the open market.

For very young (not yet established) or old (in decline) players the situation reverses. They would probably sign, but the clubs aren't going to offer them extensions in most cases.

dicko111
dicko111 (IP Logged)

05 June, 2018 13:42
Now in EFL2 .I still think we need to tie Norwood up for an extra year at least .Hope a weekly increase in wages is on the table and he signs .He is a TRFC hero and we need him !!

pez
pez (IP Logged)

05 June, 2018 13:57
If Norwood isnt offered an extended deal, then dont be surprised if Walsall come sniffing around come January. Especially if they end up in a relegation dog fight and need goals to stay up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net