football
Latest News:

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

Scott Quigley
03 June, 2018 21:02
From the Blackpool newspaper[Gazette] 2/6/18

''New Wrexham boss Sam Ricketts admits he would be interested in bringing Blackpool striker Scott Quigley back to the club next season.

The 25-year-old, who is still under contract at Bloomfield Road, enjoyed a successful loan spell at the Racecourse Ground last season. Having joined the National League on loan in January, the striker went on to bag eight goals in 17 league matches.

Ricketts, who was appointed Wrexham manager at the start of May following the departure of Dean Keates to Walsall, said he will be monitoring the situation. “From watching the games last season, Scott is a player who is certainly a threat,” he said. “He picks the ball up and he can go left foot, right foot, and is a real threat for the position. “He scored eight goals, should have had another one in the final game which he missed but I will let him off with that! “I know Scott wants to play football, he did really well here. “He is a player that interests us because he has got quality and I want quality, but he is contracted to Blackpool and I am not sure what their thoughts are with him at the minute.” Chances were limited for Quigley at Blackpool last season, as he only made nine substitute appearances in League One and five starts in the Checkatrade Trophy.

Quigley, who has yet to score for the Seasiders, previously went on record to say he has no interest in being a bit-part player at Blackpool next season. “I don’t know what is going to happen next year,” he said. “I don’t really know what their plans are yet but at the end of the day I am going to do what is right for my career so I am going to see what the options are and go from there. “Gary Bowyer wanted me to go and experience English football, prove I could do it and hopefully I have done that. “Now it is up to him really, we will have to see what he says. “I don’t want to go there and play Football League Trophy games, I am going to make that clear, and I will leave the ball in his court. If anything comes up, I will have to see the options.” The Seasiders signed Quigley from Welsh outfit The New Saints last summer for an initial fee of £35,000, potentially rising to £50,000. The 25-year-old forward agreed a two-year contract at Bloomfield Road, with the Tangerines holding an option to extend the deal by a further 12 months. The Shrewsbury-born front man made his debut for the club in the Checkatrade Trophy penalty shootout defeat to Wigan Athletic. ''

IMO He looked pretty useful up front on his own when we played Wrexham. Anyone think he would be worth an approach?

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

Re: Scott Quigley
03 June, 2018 21:06
No, Wrexham fell away and weren’t good enough, no league experience at all to speak of, we are already gambling on Norwood and Connor up front at this level, TNS is traditionally were many of our failed youth players end up so I wouldn’t really gamble on bringing someone in from there essentially.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

03 June, 2018 21:08
Quote:
Higgosboots
No, Wrexham fell away and weren’t good enough, no league experience at all to speak of, we are already gambling on Norwood and Connor up front at this level, TNS is traditionally were many of our failed youth players end up so I wouldn’t really gamble on bringing someone in from there essentially.

He's not at TNS any more.

There are a good few players in the league we have just left who IMO would be capable of playing at a higher level. Other football league clubs have already started signing some of the better ones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2018 21:10 by Hoots Mon.

borowhite
borowhite (IP Logged)

04 June, 2018 10:08
I'm not sure what Wrexham falling away has to do with it, if anything it makes a haul of 8 goals in 17 games look even more respectable. We have to be realistic in terms of our budget and a top third one isn't going to stretch as far as some think it will.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

04 June, 2018 10:59
" a top third one isn't going to stretch as far as some think it will."

Yah, a top third budget for 3months of recruitment won't instantly make up for having a NL budget and NL player pool for the previous 36 months.

Jimsteel
Jimsteel (IP Logged)

04 June, 2018 11:11
James Alabi 17 goals in 42 games in a failing Chester team look how that turned out, we need proven league 1/2 quality up front with Nors surely with our supporters, current set up and facilities we can attract some real quality

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

04 June, 2018 12:20
Quote:
Jimsteel
James Alabi 17 goals in 42 games in a failing Chester team look how that turned out, we need proven league 1/2 quality up front with Nors surely with our supporters, current set up and facilities we can attract some real quality

I wouldn't tar every striker with the Alabi brush. Also how somebody performs with one club doesn't mean they'll be as good or bad with another club.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

04 June, 2018 14:31
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Jimsteel

I wouldn't tar every striker with the Alabi brush. Also how somebody performs with one club doesn't mean they'll be as good or bad with another club.

I hate to reference him because it's a complete different standard and well it's them over the water but he's had an alright season i guess you could say and that man is Salah.

Done nothing up until last few games of the season before last, signed for Loserpool and became their main man and well he definitely scored more that 20 goals.

Any ST in the right mould with decent quality around him could do a decent job for us this coming season. We just need to back whoever that may be.

TheWhiteBall
TheWhiteBall (IP Logged)

04 June, 2018 17:43
Sorry but its the same old story. Sign none league players and you end up with a none league team.

TheWhiteBall
TheWhiteBall (IP Logged)

04 June, 2018 17:44
Sorry but its the same old story. Sign none league players and you end up with a none league team.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

04 June, 2018 18:06
Quote:
borowhite
I'm not sure what Wrexham falling away has to do with it, if anything it makes a haul of 8 goals in 17 games look even more respectable. We have to be realistic in terms of our budget and a top third one isn't going to stretch as far as some think it will.

It means their team as a whole where not good enough, did they fall away because he couldn’t score.

borowhite
borowhite (IP Logged)

04 June, 2018 20:25
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
borowhite

It means their team as a whole where not good enough, did they fall away because he couldn’t score.

He did score - 8 in 17, as I said earlier, which over 46 games, if maintained, would give you 20 odd goals.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

04 June, 2018 20:37
Quote:
TheWhiteBall

That's rubbish I'm afraid.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

04 June, 2018 21:26
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
TheWhiteBall

That's rubbish I'm afraid.

Sign non league players to play for us and that makes them a League 2 team....

In all seriousness though, i agree with Hoots. There are some players that can and will play at a higher level in the non-league currently (Cook was a non-league player only 2 weeks ago and look at him now).

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

05 June, 2018 00:38
However will play in the league does not always mean well. Cook might find Walsall a step too far and flounder, but I feel he'll do well, but when you look at players like Antonio, Smalling, Gayle, Lambert, Kev Phillips etc etc, all non league players cutting the mustard at Championship and premier league level in the last 20 years and that's just a few of the however many players have stepped up to those leagues and done well from a non-league background.

However for every Dwight Gayle there could be one or two Exodus Geoghagen's.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2018 22:59 by Matt34.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net