football
Latest News:

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

Safe-Standing
01 June, 2018 22:03
Not too sure how many are aware or bothered by the topic as i imagine it's not something that'll be implemented at PP anytime soon.

[www.drrosena.co.uk]

Just a quick survey that can be answered by anyone involved in any format with a club.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

Re: Safe-Standing
01 June, 2018 22:55
Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2018 22:57 by Hoots Mon.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

02 June, 2018 02:06
There are times when I cannot stand sitting...

Bolton Rover
Bolton Rover (IP Logged)

02 June, 2018 08:19
Filled the survey to say safe standing is a complete waste of time. If they want to half ticket prices I’ll stand. Otherwise I’d like a seat thank you.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

02 June, 2018 10:18
Leave well enough alone I say ,no one been killed since all seating implemented.there is a bit of a rise in idiotic behaviour that guy from Everton who had a baby with him when he tried to punch a player was jailed the other day ,.when your seated its harder to do anything without being noticed .

ming05
ming05 (IP Logged)

02 June, 2018 11:04
Keep it as is , safer and it's better when we score and everyone jumps up at same time . And easier to hold head in hands when lose.

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)

02 June, 2018 11:18
I would return to standing, safe or otherwise, in a heartbeat.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

02 June, 2018 12:00
I think safe standing area is a good idea, used to love standing on the old Kop end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2018 16:44 by TranmereFan.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

02 June, 2018 12:24
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
Leave well enough alone I say ,no one been killed since all seating implemented

Actually hundreds have been killed on all seater stadiums since Hillsborough.

50 died in a stampede in 2001 at the Ellis park stadium for example. And there have been multiple other events with 20+ deaths at all seater stadiums.

There is a demand. Standing can be done safely.

Give us the choice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2018 12:25 by mrGr33n13.

Fiftyyearsarover

02 June, 2018 13:20
Yes maybe .but no one killed in U.K. ,which is what matters .if people want to stand and it’s allowed .thats fair enough .as long as there is seating in a separate area for those that can’t stand ,or don’t want to for a couple of hours .i always stood in the old kop but now I like to be seated so I use the main stand which I hope will always be for people to sit in

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

02 June, 2018 15:45
People still stand, you see it at almost every Premier League Ground for example and apart from the odd threat to suspend season tickets for non compliance, it appears to be tolerated.

I personally now prefer to sit (getting older and lazy) but, as long as a specific standing area is allocated so all can stand, I don't see the problem.

Surely that's better and less dangerous than some standing and some sitting, as we have now?

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

02 June, 2018 21:13
I think clubs including rovers should put more pressure on the police, who they have to pay for, to get in the stands and tell people to sit. The reason our stands are all seater is for a reason. Standing when we score or something exciting happens is fine. But to stand at any other time is dangerous and should not be tolerated.

I’m sure we all remember why this was isnstigated, a cover up by West Yorkshire constabulary and their balls ups that cost lives. But that aside I feel the grounds a safer than ever, so why change.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

02 June, 2018 21:28
I tend to err on the side of caution in this one, only posted the thread to see what others opinions were and to help out with any debate that does happen in parliament.

I will say however that clubs that do have safe-standing (majority of German teams) and quite a few on the rise over here now with the Shrews just installing it in a stand and Celtic having it for a few years now.

I agree with the reasons as to why all-seated stands was made a thing but that's not to say this isn't safe at all otherwise we'd have heard about it or it wouldn't have become a thing in the first place.

As i said in the OP, i doubt we'd ever see it at PP especially being so close to Loserpool but it does make for good discussion amongst supporters.

One thing i'd hate though, is coppers patrolling the stands telling people to sit down.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

02 June, 2018 21:50
Standing is not inherently unsafe.

Poorly policed, poorly maintained and poorly managed stadiums are unsafe.

Terracing was not the problem at Hillsborough any more than seating was the problem at Bradford.

There were going to be fatalities outside the ground at Hillsborough. When they opened the gates had the middle pen been cordened off then the tradegy inside would likely never have happened.

MESSAGES->author

02 June, 2018 22:36
Quote:
mrGr33n13
Standing is not inherently unsafe.
Poorly policed, poorly maintained and poorly managed stadiums are unsafe.

Terracing was not the problem at Hillsborough any more than seating was the problem at Bradford.

There were going to be fatalities outside the ground at Hillsborough. When they opened the gates had the middle pen been cordened off then the tradegy inside would likely never have happened.

Yup. Spot on imo.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

02 June, 2018 22:39
There was a cup match a few years earlier at that ground I think it was involving Tottenham Hotspur where inadequacies in the safety of the ground were claimed and it wasn't the only thing mentioned about the ground in the 1980's.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

02 June, 2018 23:08
I sit in my spec in the Kop but stand sometimes. I stood throughout at Wembley. The worry is if rail seats are not safe. We don't need to do that currently at Prenton Park.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

03 June, 2018 11:21
At Prenton Park tho, that large group that gaggle behind the goal stand the whole game anyway, so can’t see it making any difference at PP even if it was installed

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

03 June, 2018 11:59
Personally I think the UK did it's usual overreaction. No issues at hundreds of thousands of games , ando incompetent entry control at that well documented game leads to everyone being effectively punished. Nowadays they should be able to count how many coming in and prevent overcrowding. Especially since a lot of high profile games are all ticket.

Standing overall was always 99.9999% safe.

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

03 June, 2018 15:34
I can't believe how we managed to sit down at Wembley. I love standing up and especially if there is essentially a 'seat' number for where you're going to stand.

Only downside is holding coffee or eating chips.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

03 June, 2018 17:47
Quote:
Hardly Irons
I can't believe how we managed to sit down at Wembley. I love standing up and especially if there is essentially a 'seat' number for where you're going to stand.
Only downside is holding coffee or eating chips.

It’s possible to eat chips and hold coffee whilst standing, don’t listen to what they tell you.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

05 June, 2018 00:14
Yes, you have a large cup full of chips and coffee and hold it with both hands (Sm7).

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

AndyMase
AndyMase (IP Logged)

06 June, 2018 06:41
Quote:
aktrfc
I think clubs including rovers should put more pressure on the police, who they have to pay for, to get in the stands and tell people to sit. The reason our stands are all seater is for a reason. Standing when we score or something exciting happens is fine. But to stand at any other time is dangerous and should not be tolerated.
I’m sure we all remember why this was isnstigated, a cover up by West Yorkshire constabulary and their balls ups that cost lives. But that aside I feel the grounds a safer than ever, so why change.

Teams like rovers use stewards to police the ground to keep the police costs to a minimum. I don't think we want to Increase our costs to ensure people stay sat in their seats

ShaunCH45
ShaunCH45 (IP Logged)

06 June, 2018 11:40
Wembley was standing for almost all of the game. Daft stewards trying to get people at back to sit down first. I prefer to sit and jump up when we score. I did a lot of jumping up last season.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

06 June, 2018 21:24
Quote:
AndyMase
Quote:
aktrfc

Teams like rovers use stewards to police the ground to keep the police costs to a minimum. I don't think we want to Increase our costs to ensure people stay sat in their seats

Sorry, couldn't stand idly by or sit on the fence with this one. Just to clarify, standing at all-seater stadia is not a criminal, but a civil matter. The police have no jurisdiction over the situation and it is the job of the stewards to uphold the stadium regulations. Of course, if a fan refuses to sit they can be ejected by the stewards. At this point the police may intervene if there is deemed to be an assault during this process. The discretionary aspect of the stewards intervention or non-intervention, fuels the frustration of the sitters and the standers. From my perspective, I find the discriminatory methods often deployed i.e. being heavy-handed with easier targets and ignoring those that might create a challenge, mildly annoying and mildly amusing at the same time. Consistency is the key so we all know where we stand; sorry, sit..... you know what I mean.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

06 June, 2018 21:37
All-seater stadia are only required in the top two divisions so we haven't needed it for over 15 years. The club could convert part of the ground to ordinary terracing, never mind the new-style safe standing, if it wanted to. Not sure there's that much of a demand though, tbh.

MESSAGES->author

07 June, 2018 09:32
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
All-seater stadia are only required in the top two divisions so we haven't needed it for over 15 years. The club could convert part of the ground to ordinary terracing, never mind the new-style safe standing, if it wanted to. Not sure there's that much of a demand though, tbh.

Not quite that simple though, as the ground was built as all-seater. Yes they could convert, but it would take an extensive remodel to achieve and that would then have to be converted back if the club reached the Championship level, although I think there's a 2 year grace period. That's why the safe standing debate is important.

Fiftyyearsarover

07 June, 2018 11:30
As popey used to say “Leave well enough alone “ Prenton Park is fine ,l absolutely love it and it looks great on the tv 😀

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net