football
Latest News:

misterecoli
misterecoli (IP Logged)

LG2 - Whats the difference
29 May, 2018 11:50
There's been a lot of talk about how certain players might not cope in League Football, or how we should be looking at certain types of players for LG2.

Does anyone have an opinion on just what the differences we can expect to see between National Leage and LG2?

Is it faster paced?
Does it suit wide men more?
Are their player types/positions we don't have that other successful teams do?

Just interested, it's been a few years since we've been in the league so would be interested in anyone that's watched a few matches giving an overview of where they think we should be improving/adapting

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

Re: LG2 - Whats the difference
29 May, 2018 12:13
Can only really go off what i've seen on the TV tbh.

The bottom half teams i'd say are on a par with the top half of the NL but especially those teams in and around the play-offs just have a cutting edge and are of a better standard (obviously).

Anyone seems to be able to beat anyone on their day also so very similar to the season just gone.

Only thing i've noticed as a stand out is more technical players who can go on 50 yard runs taking people on and rifling it in from 30 yards and the movement off the ball is alot more fluid.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

29 May, 2018 12:29
In the NL it's noticeable that after, say, 30 or so games, several teams - particularly some of the part-timers - tend to run out steam a bit. Doubt that'll happen in L2.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

29 May, 2018 12:51
there are a lot of ex-Conference teams in league 2. whether they have changed style over the years remains to be seen

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

29 May, 2018 14:42
Style varies from team to team.The main difference is fitness speed ,not just in terms of pace but both in thought and better technical skill allowing greater pace to the game, In the main teams have greater depth compared to the national where quality across a side was variable.Mixtakes are more likely to be punished.
Most of our starting eleven should not be out of place.Outside that few look convincing Div 2 potential

roger mellie
roger mellie (IP Logged)

29 May, 2018 15:15
As we have only played in the division for one season in the last 25+ it is almost as much as an unknown as the VNL was 3 years ago.

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

29 May, 2018 15:47
Quote:
roger mellie
As we have only played in the division for one season in the last 25+ it is almost as much as an unknown as the VNL was 3 years ago.
+1

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)

29 May, 2018 15:57
Quote:
roger mellie

Absolutely right. However if you use the relative success and failure of promoted/relegated teams in their new leagues plus the win/loss ratio of cup games played between the two divisions it suggests that there isn't a massive gap. Of course the top L2 teams are quite a bit better and the bottom NL teams worse, but mid-table NL to mid-table L2 I suspect isn't a whole lot different on average.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

29 May, 2018 18:58
Interesting to note that the season just gone we had many teams in and around London..Orient,Daggers,Borehamwood,Bromley,Sutton,Woking,Ebbsfleet,Maidenhead,Aldershot,Maidstone,Dover.. This coming season in League 2 there will be no visits to the capital for Rovers and nowhere near as many teams situated in the south east, only really Crawley and Stevenage.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

29 May, 2018 19:04
Can't stand London and all that city life malark so it's a win win!

Crawley will be the furthest to travel to with Exeter closely following up right?

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

29 May, 2018 19:34
There is no general answer there are varieties of things in the NL gifted players with bad attitudes, gifted players who are not athletic, poor players with good attitudes. In the main as you progress through the Leagues the players are no more talented in one area but get more and more athletic, not necessarily fitter but more talented athletes, more composed. There are the obvious exceptions once you reach PL in terms of world class like Salah, Debruyne etc. On the whole the game is played at a faster pace with fitter players in League 2.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

29 May, 2018 23:04
League 2 sees the overall skill level go up a little, but it is average fitness that goes up also, as all teams are professional, so they should be able to muster up an 11 man team, capable of running at a better tempo and / or duration for another 10-15 minutes than semi-pro NL teams.

I agree about bottom 4-5 in league 2 being only slightly better than the top 4-5 in NL, but that also has a bearing on added cash flow, because even with roughly another 200-300 projected fans a game and roughly £1-£2 more per ticket and 10% more for a season ticket price and one or two slightly higher payouts from renegotiated sponsor deals, plus a reasonable increase in TV monies and the promotion bursary / playoff revenues spread out over 3-5 years, it's not going to suddenly allow a promoted side to double or triple their spend, not like it does when a championship club goes to the premier league.

If a team like Lincoln after going up, had recruited players worth an extra £500 a week at best, it would not surprise me.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

30 May, 2018 00:57
Quote:
rossb07
Crawley will be the furthest to travel to with Exeter closely following up right?
Our lads live in London so it was a good chance to go to a Rovers games with them. Just sayin. And Wembley is in London

DCTRFC
DCTRFC (IP Logged)

30 May, 2018 02:09
I guess as you go up your better layers have less negative traits after all our best players were playing VNL for specific reasons.
I.e. McNulty held back from playing higher up due to weight and speed. Possibly same for Buxton.
Norwood would be poorer finishing than league strikers but he seems to have sorted that to an extent lately.
Cookie pace and physique hold him back.
The list would go on with established L2 and L1 clubs having generally, fitter, faster, more athletic, possibly bigger, more composed and skilful players at their disposal.

DCTRFC
DCTRFC (IP Logged)

30 May, 2018 02:18
Bizarrely having watched a top end L1 game earlier in the season between Plymouth vs Blackburn I saw a few players who would walk into our side as massive upgrades on what we have Sarvecic (more mobile, at the heart of everything, more athletic) at Argyle for Jeff Hughes in the middle and Bradley Dack at Blackburn for Cookie (again everywhere, faster, more skilful). But the amazing thing was lots of the other players didn’t seem much of an upgrade at all if at all. This was especially the case for the goalies and fullbacks. Argyle brought on their sub Yann Songo’o and he looked absolutely dreadful. So I reckon the core of our squad looks good enough to be in the mix for the top 7 if we can replace cookie.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

30 May, 2018 19:42
Quote:
DCTRFC
McNulty held back from playing higher up due to weight and speed.

Did he, or was it more the case of n clubs at league 1 and above offer him anything?

DCTRFC
DCTRFC (IP Logged)

30 May, 2018 22:23
Pretty obvious to most of us that he is far more cultured a defender than most in VNL, more likely to be pace and weight holding him back than early onset grey hair?

4ever_Yardley
4ever_Yardley (IP Logged)

30 May, 2018 22:40
Quote:
rossb07

Crawley suits me, 10 miles from my house! I would have thought that Yeovil is a trickier journey than Crawley from Birkenhead?

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

30 May, 2018 22:45
@Kenny, you definitely have every reason to want some games in the London area then (Sm128).

@4ever_Yardley, Exeter aswell but the club have put Crawley down as being the longest to travel to. Doubt they'll take into account how bad it is to travel there though...

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

01 June, 2018 20:10
Quote:
rossb07
@Kenny, you definitely have every reason to want some games in the London area then (Sm128).
@4ever_Yardley, Exeter aswell but the club have put Crawley down as being the longest to travel to. Doubt they'll take into account how bad it is to travel there though...
smiling smiley

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

02 June, 2018 09:26
Correct me if I am wrong but, most of the current squad have FL experience?

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

02 June, 2018 22:16
Many do including Banks, Buxton, Davies, McNulty, Sutton, Ridehalgh, Tollit, Wallace, Gumbs and Norburn.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

02 June, 2018 22:25
Add Nors and Jennings to that list also, albeit a minuscule portion of their career but still have FL games under their belt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2018 22:25 by rossb07.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

02 June, 2018 22:46
Jennings apparently had 29 in total, but Norwood only 4, so I would barely see his games as a meaningful amount, bit I think Jennings just about qualifies as a meaningful amount.

However both could now be ready to show their mettle in the league and prove they are right for league 2 football, but only time will tell.

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

02 June, 2018 23:00
Quote:
Matt34
Jennings apparently had 29 in total, but Norwood only 4, so I would barely see his games as a meaningful amount, bit I think Jennings just about qualifies as a meaningful amount.
However both could now be ready to show their mettle in the league and prove they are right for league 2 football, but only time will tell.
+1 and lets wait until well into the season. Look at FGR s start last season.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

03 June, 2018 01:04
Quote:
Jack of all Trades
Correct me if I am wrong but, most of the current squad have FL experience?

As has since been mentioned, yes they do. But very few of them have proven themselves in the league. Without being unkind to the lads, if you're late twenties or older and have played no more than one or two seasons worth of league football at the middle/lower end of League 2, then the jury's out on whether you're good enough (or maybe that should be consistent enough) to become a key part of a L2 promotion-chasing side.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased that we've re-signed the core of last season's squad and, for his leadership and know-how, I hope McNulty signs on for another year too. I just think it's vital that we get three or four more signings of proven league quality to help the group out, keep them on their toes and bring out the best of them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net