football
Latest News:

bheadlad
bheadlad (IP Logged)

Where will we finish this season
24 May, 2018 18:17
Just looked on Twitter and the Cheltenham/forest green rag has us finishing 18th with the likes of Bury 8th and Oldham 4th.Anyone more optimistic than 18th

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

Re: Where will we finish this season
24 May, 2018 18:27
All depends who we get in .but 15/18 th about right

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

24 May, 2018 18:31
Ridiculous to be making these type of guesses almost two and a half months before the season starts

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

24 May, 2018 18:51
11th!

TimmySoft
TimmySoft (IP Logged)

24 May, 2018 19:08
We should make top half, but there’s some bloody good teams in L2.

There won’t be any easy games so draws on the road will be important. A good cup run would really help too

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

24 May, 2018 19:12
The only thing that is certain right now is what position we the fans would like to finish and were the owners, management team and coaching staff would also like to end the 18/19 season.

Too much to happen before the first game gets kicked off for anyone to ponder any real guesses as to whatever will happen.

On that note, i think it's fair to say that it's a given the 2 Manchester clubs will fork out roughly £4-500m between them in the close season though, that's the only thing that i can safely predict right now...

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

24 May, 2018 19:29
Who knows, we were tipped to win the league 3 seasons in a row and none of the teams that won it in that time were even considered promotion hopefuls if I recall.

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

24 May, 2018 19:34
If it was offered I'd take 18th...

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

24 May, 2018 20:03
We will finish having played 46 games.Until the final squad is sorted a thing more is just pointless guess work.
If the season were to start tomorrow we would almost certainly struggle but it does not and from here on the squad should get stronger.
The test for me is whether the additions are stronger than those here's so that we move from a national to a league squad.
It is for that reason that I see little point in the return of recent Rovers players

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

24 May, 2018 20:43
Quote:
Cybertron

Come on. We are a stable club with a fantastic infrastructure and a team capable without additional player of a top half finish. Now with banks and a forward in waiting, how could anyone even think of less than the play offs. At this time everything is in the right place.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

24 May, 2018 21:10
Quote:
aktrfc
Quote:
Cybertron

Come on. We are a stable club with a fantastic infrastructure and a team capable without additional player of a top half finish. Now with banks and a forward in waiting, how could anyone even think of less than the play offs. At this time everything is in the right place.

If we take Lincoln as an example, playoffs. FGR, who knows? Personally, I expect promotion....

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

24 May, 2018 21:32
Very few of the squad that got us promoted have proved themselves in the EFL. And although they've earned what, for quite a few of them, will be a second or third chance to do so, the odds are it'll be a step too far for some of them. Then again, back in the old 4th division days, who'd have thought the likes of Yozzer, Moggsy and Higgy would progress so far up the leagues with us?

The two new signings we've made look like they'll bring in some EFL quality but I reckon we'll need another three or four before we can realistically look towards the top end of the table. Recruitment over the next couple of months will obviously tell us a lot more but, for now, the only thing I expect is that we'll keep moving in the right direction.

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

24 May, 2018 22:22
Quote:
853OKG
Quote:
aktrfc
Quote:
Cybertron

If we take Lincoln as an example, playoffs. FGR, who knows? Personally, I expect promotion....
Promotion is a very optimistic view and it would delight me more than almost anything else. I would take 18th because it would be a safe position (I don't ever want to go to Maidenhead or Sutton again) and would provide a platform to build from. On the flip side if we have a top third budget a top half finish should be possible, and maybe if well managed a little better.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

24 May, 2018 23:30
Quote:
Cybertron
Quote:
853OKG
Quote:
aktrfc
Quote:
Cybertron

Promotion is a very optimistic view and it would delight me more than almost anything else. I would take 18th because it would be a safe position (I don't ever want to go to Maidenhead or Sutton again) and would provide a platform to build from. On the flip side if we have a top third budget a top half finish should be possible, and maybe if well managed a little better.

I enjoyed my day out at Sutton. One of our very best performances of the season and a good set of opposing fans.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

25 May, 2018 00:12
I believe it's possible for a top 7 and an outside shot of top3, as the budget will be better this time thanks to the sterling turnaround of the accounts and the improved revenue stream the new ownership has provided.

however I would be happy for a top 10 finish.

I would not be overly thrilled with 18th place, considering Ridehalgh, Sutton, Davies, Ellis and McNulty as well as Buxton have good league experience, so that should provide a more than stable foundation to build performances and Norwood is capable of possibly 15 or more at this level, with adequate service and Banks should contribute well enough and has considerable league experience.

To me 18th would obviously keep the team in the league, but it would underwhelm as an outcome for me personally.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

Durban Super White
Durban Super White (IP Logged)

25 May, 2018 07:04
I think top 10. The playoffs in the first season may be a bit optimistic. It may all depend on who MM signs in the next 6 weeks though.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

25 May, 2018 07:39
We have 3months to go .we are getting bored already ,god knows what we will end up discussing 😀

HardlyYardley
HardlyYardley (IP Logged)

25 May, 2018 12:22
On a couple of occasions, MP has alluded to trying to pass straight through this league, saying that it may be easier for us than the NL. I'm assuming that we'll at least attempt consecutive promotions, though any subsequent attempt to get from Div 1 to the Championshp would take longer.

coltran
coltran (IP Logged)

25 May, 2018 13:58
When we were relegated to the National League in 2015, MP spoke about a 5 year plan to reach League 1. It's now 3 years on from then and we are in League 2. So he must be expecting to reach League 1 by the end of the 2019/20 se4ason at the latest.

WWStandsure
WWStandsure (IP Logged)

25 May, 2018 14:01
It all depends on who arrives to strengthen the side. We are all aware now that a couple of forwards are needed - and cover for the left back. We should all be patient, let's see how the team looks in another month or so. DON'T PANIC Mr Mainwaring, DON'T PANIC.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

25 May, 2018 15:02
We may see a few come and go before then but I imagine the friendlies and when the squad are all back together is when we’ll see the majority of any business happens.

Could expect a few trailists, regardless of if they’re wanted or not.

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

25 May, 2018 18:04
Leaving aside additions if Wallace and Tollit are both fit and on form next season we should be very competitive

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

25 May, 2018 18:34
Top nine might even get into play off place,sod sod that let's win it.

pez
pez (IP Logged)

26 May, 2018 08:10
I think young Ben needs to beef up a little bit without losing his pace.

He has proved he can be a tricky little player, but when he returned from injury he looked a bit lightweight and looks like hes lost a little bottle. Probably a mental issue due to his bad injury and relapse?

I agree though, get Wallace 100% fit and injury free, he could be a big asset.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/05/2018 08:11 by pez.

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

26 May, 2018 09:58
Who would Wallace replace though or are we thinking some games suit a wide game and others a diamond in the middle?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net