football
Latest News:

WWStandsure
WWStandsure (IP Logged)

Players In - Players Out
22 May, 2018 12:11
Well someone has to mention it. A lot of 'New Blood' is going to have to arrive to inject some stability into Rovers in league 2. Losing Mr Cook can be seen as either positive or negative - your call (perhaps down to MM not playing him at Wembley 1n 17' & start of this past season - who knows?, many others now 'out of contract soon - and very interesting to see who actually stays - and on what terms, Attracting Mr Ellis sounds positive (and I really wish him every success at Rovers), - but do we have to trawl through ALL ex Shrewsbury players, to see who MM might sign next?. Of course 'several players will still depart (signing for other clubs or not signing new contracts), take that for granted and 'several' others will arrive (Please MM no more McAleveys, Alabies, Mangans, MATES IN GENERAL, etc, etc...You lose credibility with such signings). I hope Rovers sign Ollie Banks (for a stronger midfield, I accept it is speculation at present), and a cOUPLE of decent forwards who can link up / pass as a team, and BOTH SCORE. I expect all this is already under way with MM, just a pity a few fans favourites were not given extended contracts last season due to their obvious ability (Mr Jennings, Clarke and McNulty - to 'bring through young Gumbs', etc). Whatever the new team looks like, I don't think this return to the League season will be such an easy ride as some might think. Whatever is going on behind the scenes will be revealed over the next few months. So lets show our support in League 2 & get behind the Rovers (I understand over 3,000 season tickets already sold too, I bought mine before Wembley). Onwards and Upwards.

Durban Super White
Durban Super White (IP Logged)

Re: Players In - Players Out
22 May, 2018 12:15
Great summary. Lets strap ourselves in and get ready for the ride. After all this is Tranmere Rovers. smiling smiley

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

22 May, 2018 12:24
I wouldn't call losing Cookie either a positive or a negative, he was an untried ST at this level and was offered more money as far as what's been reported on. That means that we have the benefit of seeing him scoring a decent total of goals for us and if he didn't do the job this season then he is still seen in the eyes of the many as that ST who got us all those goals to get us to where we are now.

I honestly feel that getting Jenno signed up is a bigger deal than Cookie (sounds ironic to say that just after he's left) but he plays in a wider variety of positions and you know that when he plays, he leaves himself smudged all over the grass and gives his all EVERY game, even steps up in the bigger occasions. Wholeheartedly agree that Clarke should be given a new deal to continue his development though!

The only thing i'd disagree with you on WW is that every manager will take on players that they've worked with before because they know what they're getting from them and this doesn't necessarily class them as mates. BUT we could put Banks in that same bracket as he's played under MM before we could potentially sign him.

I think the current standing on season tickets is just shy of 3500, depending on new signings hopefully we can get that as close to 4k as poss.

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

22 May, 2018 12:25
Agree as well.
I am sure that Walsall offered him more money than he was on with us but I have to say I am surprised how quick it happened. Makes me think that as WWStandsure suggests there were still possibly some MM negativity feelings there which meant he was always going to go irrespective of what we offered.
Totally agree also that we do not just want MM mates - problem however is when MM has gone outside of his ex Shrews players he has to put it politely made some terrible recruitment decisions.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

22 May, 2018 12:51
He wanted to play in a higher league sooner than later. Nothing sinister or negative about that. And he probably has had a significant pay rise to boot. Good luck to him.

coltran
coltran (IP Logged)

22 May, 2018 13:36
Quote:
WWStandsure
Well someone has to mention it. A lot of 'New Blood' is going to have to arrive to inject some stability into Rovers in league 2. Losing Mr Cook can be seen as either positive or negative - your call (perhaps down to MM not playing him at Wembley 1n 17' & start of this past season - who knows?, many others now 'out of contract soon - and very interesting to see who actually stays - and on what terms, Attracting Mr Ellis sounds positive (and I really wish him every success at Rovers), - but do we have to trawl through ALL ex Shrewsbury players, to see who MM might sign next?. Of course 'several players will still depart (signing for other clubs or not signing new contracts), take that for granted and 'several' others will arrive (Please MM no more McAleveys, Alabies, Mangans, MATES IN GENERAL, etc, etc...You lose credibility with such signings). I hope Rovers sign Ollie Banks (for a stronger midfield, I accept it is speculation at present), and a cOUPLE of decent forwards who can link up / pass as a team, and BOTH SCORE. I expect all this is already under way with MM, just a pity a few fans favourites were not given extended contracts last season due to their obvious ability (Mr Jennings, Clarke and McNulty - to 'bring through young Gumbs', etc). Whatever the new team looks like, I don't think this return to the League season will be such an easy ride as some might think. Whatever is going on behind the scenes will be revealed over the next few months. So lets show our support in League 2 & get behind the Rovers (I understand over 3,000 season tickets already sold too, I bought mine before Wembley). Onwards and Upwards.

Does anyone really believe that any professional manager would use up part of his playing budget, and risk his own position< to sign a player purely on the basis that he is a "mate." I don't think so.

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)

22 May, 2018 14:43
The same accusation has been levelled at just about every manager we've had in recent memory. Even Kingy did it early on in his second spell with Higgy and I think Martindale, etc. Every manager does it. Its not hard to see why either: they identify a weakness and turn first to a guy they know who has the necessary qualities to solve that issue because they have done it for them before. It reduces the risk in signing a new player, which is generally the thing that ultimately costs them their job. Of course you can make a counter argument that this is limiting and ultimately may mean you settle for a lesser player with little risk over a guy who might potentially be better, but that's a different discussion really.

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

22 May, 2018 15:09
And Little brought in his mate from Hull.. The great man Goody!!And so it goes on.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

22 May, 2018 15:35
Quote:
Tranmere69
And Little brought in his mate from Hull.. The great man Goody!!And so it goes on.

Not to mention Theo Whitmore also, seem to remember him playing in goal for a game we got smashed in.

MESSAGES->author
BELMONT (IP Logged)

22 May, 2018 16:24
Quote:
rossb07
Quote:
Tranmere69

Not to mention Theo Whitmore also, seem to remember him playing in goal for a game we got smashed in.

Odd that post went before adding input,any back to the subject wasn't Theo the third keeper that day?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/05/2018 16:28 by BELMONT.

MESSAGES->author
Doogie'sGhost (IP Logged)

22 May, 2018 16:30
Yes. We lost both first choice and sub quite early on in the game. Pretty sure Theo was in by half time.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

22 May, 2018 17:36
Hull away it was in their 2 year old 'new' stadium.

[www.youtube.com]

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

22 May, 2018 20:23
Quote:
Tranmere69

What a call. Goodie wasn’t even playing when we got him. He came back from Jamaica and phoned little as a mate and asked to come. And the rest as they say is history. Just don’t ask him what he has his money on.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

23 May, 2018 00:09
Tranmere lost the game 5-1. Hull had Nicky Barmby playing for them. I think it was Danny Coyne first out with a broken jaw and then Joe Murphy with a groin injury second, so Theodore Whitmore ended up deputising.

Then I ate his Liver.......... with some baked beans and a can of coke.

WWStandsure
WWStandsure (IP Logged)

23 May, 2018 14:06
When johnny King returned in 1987, he also 'brought a few known players - Brilliant Dave Higgins for one' - however he also brought a new 'backbone' to Rovers, Keeper Eric Nixon from Man City, CF Jim Steel from Wrexham (the Winner at Highbury 1973, never forgotten on 29 mins), and Jim Harvey as the midfield general. Like all you other fans out there I am waiting to see just who else signs on too - there must be plenty of 'local players' looking at Rovers - LFC, EFC, MCFC, MUFC?, etc, etc, it's possibly down to who MM has good contacts with, who knows, I just hope there are not so many HORRENDOUS signings out there to come - like McAleavy (even Wallace or Ben Tollitt might figure in L2 this season - it's all 'what if's' just now, we have to wait and see). Great news on the season ticket sales though, it must be a record for Rovers.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

23 May, 2018 16:31
No issues with Micky bringing in “his”players, why take a chance on an unknown when you can better the devil you know.

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

23 May, 2018 17:01
Quote:
Matt34
Tranmere lost the game 5-1. Hull had Nicky Barmby playing for them. I think it was Danny Coyne first out with a broken jaw and then Joe Murphy with a groin injury second, so Theodore Whitmore ended up deputising.
Achterberg was injured then the young sub.Was he Scott something ? Then Whitmore.Lost 5-1.Very hostile fans.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

23 May, 2018 17:52
There are hundreds of players out there .It is fine to consider them against what others have to offe.Less acceptable if it is just a lazy option.

MESSAGES->author
Rizla (IP Logged)

23 May, 2018 17:59
Quote:
Tranmere69
Quote:
Matt34
Achterberg was injured then the young sub.Was he Scott something ? Then Whitmore.Lost 5-1.Very hostile fans.

Sub keeper was Russell Howarth. (I think)

martyd12
martyd12 (IP Logged)

23 May, 2018 19:00
WW Standsure

That goal at Highbury will never be forgotten but it was Eddie Loyden who scored the goal!!

Borough Roaderd
Tranmere69 (IP Logged)

23 May, 2018 23:09
Quote:
Rizla
Quote:
Tranmere69
Quote:
Matt34

Sub keeper was Russell Howarth. (I think)
Yes.Spot on.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

24 May, 2018 00:08
Achterberg, yeah that's right, my mistake. Although Coyne did return for a second spell and might have stayed instead of going to Middlesbrough, if Barnes had offered him something, which some on here claimed he never did.

WWStandsure
WWStandsure (IP Logged)

25 May, 2018 13:57
Martyd12 - correct, don't know what happened to the text there - the (bracket comment) bit 'jumped' in, The missed out bit should have read at the end (what we need is another CF like Loyden - who scored the Winner at Highbury 1973, never forgotten on 29 mins Bob Wilson was in goal at the 'clock end', Mark Palios also played in that game too).

martyd12
martyd12 (IP Logged)

25 May, 2018 21:06
WWS

I remember it with great clarity. I was at University at the time in Leicester and travelled back on the train with the match referee. When I got back no-one would believe me when I said we had won. Didn't go to lectures for two days and danced on the tables in the Uni cafeteria!

Aldo’s Shimmy
Aldo’s Shimmy (IP Logged)

25 May, 2018 22:37
McNulty apparently been offered 2year contract by Southport, can’t see him choosing that option if it’s true

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

25 May, 2018 23:35
Are you sure it Southport and not Salford?

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

26 May, 2018 01:16
I've seen someone post on Facebook about the Southport rumour, whether he'd go there is another matter though.

There'd probably be more reason to believe the Salford one if it weren't for the fact that Steve wants to stay very local for family reasons.

Personally speaking...he should stick it out with us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/05/2018 01:16 by rossb07.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

26 May, 2018 13:31
Quote:
martyd12
WWS
I remember it with great clarity. I was at University at the time in Leicester and travelled back on the train with the match referee. When I got back no-one would believe me when I said we had won. Didn't go to lectures for two days and danced on the tables in the Uni cafeteria!
I was working in the Bahamas at that time and was listening to the match on BBC world service.The reception was awful and I had to press my ear to the speaker.Suudenlt the static went on for about a minute blocking out everything. In that time we scored but it was at least another five minutes before the commentator mentioned the score again leaving me totally disorientated and convinced that I had misheard

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

26 May, 2018 15:52
Yes I was there for that to .the Transport co I worked for had a depot in Stepney .we had beds ,kitchen in it ,pub next door ,home from home 5 of us went to the game .not forgot that one I have been lucky been to all the big ones .first was v Tottenham 1-1 in the FA cup about 1952/3 .lost replay 9-1 Alf Ramsey was in their side (. I wonder what happened to him😀)

Loyden1
Loyden1 (IP Logged)

26 May, 2018 19:06
Quote:
Matt34
I thought it was 6.1 and theo let most in

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

26 May, 2018 23:40
Quote:
rossb07
There'd probably be more reason to believe the Salford one if it weren't for the fact that Steve wants to stay very local for family reasons.

If he can drive, Birkenhead to Salford is probably less than 1 hour away.

MESSAGES->author
acc928 (IP Logged)

27 May, 2018 07:48
Quote:
Loyden1
Quote:
Matt34
I thought it was 6.1 and theo let most in

We lost 6-1 with Theo conceding 5 goals after Achteburg and then Howarth where both injured. Delroy Facey who collided with Achteburg signed for us the following season.
Had to look this up because I thought Theo conceded all six

Fiftyyearsarover

27 May, 2018 09:28
That Delroy Facey was’t he involved in some sort of scam ,maybe betting or something at one time after he left us ?

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

27 May, 2018 11:32
Quote:
Aldo’s Shimmy
McNulty apparently been offered 2year contract by Southport, can’t see him choosing that option if it’s true

I can see that TBF, he may well yet stay with us we don’t what goes on behind closed doors, I think he’s probably over the hill now for EFL, he’s had a couple of close shaves this season in terms of getting caught in the NL. Probably has another year at NL level, 2 maybe at North. Once the body starts to go it goes quickly, but surely he will be thinking beyond retirement in terms of coaching, I would think Southport presents that opportunity they will be considering a swift NL return and can Steve going onto a first team coaching roll. The fact he played in the legends game last weekend says a lot about his future here IMO.

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

27 May, 2018 12:40
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
Aldo’s Shimmy

I can see that TBF, he may well yet stay with us we don’t what goes on behind closed doors, I think he’s probably over the hill now for EFL, he’s had a couple of close shaves this season in terms of getting caught in the NL. Probably has another year at NL level, 2 maybe at North. Once the body starts to go it goes quickly, but surely he will be thinking beyond retirement in terms of coaching, I would think Southport presents that opportunity they will be considering a swift NL return and can Steve going onto a first team coaching roll. The fact he played in the legends game last weekend says a lot about his future here IMO.
Southport signed Astles from Chester, an Astles and McNulty center-back pairing would be 'unusual'

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

28 May, 2018 00:02
Imagine if Micky Mellon poached Akinfenwa from Wycombe and then Steve re-signed. The midfield might be worried every time they lost possession, as Akinfenwa would track back a bit and McNulty would come out to snuff out a possible goal attempt and then someone like Jennings would be coming very close to being the meat in an Akinfenwa McNulty sandwich.

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

28 May, 2018 01:12
Quote:
Matt34
Imagine if Micky Mellon poached Akinfenwa from Wycombe and then Steve re-signed. The midfield might be worried every time they lost possession, as Akinfenwa would track back a bit and McNulty would come out to snuff out a possible goal attempt and then someone like Jennings would be coming very close to being the meat in an Akinfenwa McNulty sandwich.
Ha ha brilliant

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

30 May, 2018 20:00
One we won't be seeing for the good or bad of it (don't have an opinion personally) is Jose Baxter.

Re-signed for Oldham on a year year deal with prospect of another years extension.

[twitter.com]

[www.oldhamathletic.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

30 May, 2018 21:19
Quote:
rossb07
One we won't be seeing for the good or bad of it (don't have an opinion personally) is Jose Baxter.
Re-signed for Oldham on a year year deal with prospect of another years extension.

[twitter.com]

Good news.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

30 May, 2018 22:34
Or maybe it's just a ruse given he's wearing an illuminati shirt.

Probably just means he's signing on but intends to play no part in their season...

bheadlad
bheadlad (IP Logged)

31 May, 2018 19:40
Won’t have Kristian Dennis either as gone to Notts County

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

31 May, 2018 20:18
Quote:
TranmereFan
Quote:
rossb07

[twitter.com]

Good news.

Well if he has signed for Oldham, it tells me only one thing, and that’s we were never interested. For me that’s a good thing. I know there are many Wallace lovers out there, but surely he should be sent packing. Our midfield, not including wingers of Harris, norburn, banks, Jenno. that’s 4 class player, and imho much better than the drag on the wage bill once a season Wallace.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

31 May, 2018 20:25
One of the local journos tweeted that we were never after Baxter anyway.

Chester and Wrexham forums (yes, those reliable sources..) seem to think we've had talks with Jay Spearing.

One name I noticed who's free is Jonny Margetts, Scunthorpe having released the player. Not suggesting we go for him but it'll be interesting to see where he ends up - not good enough for Brabin but Lincoln signed him after we released him, and then got a fee for him a few months later from Scunny.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

31 May, 2018 20:36
Quote:
aktrfc
Quote:
TranmereFan
Quote:
rossb07

[twitter.com]

Good news.

Well if he has signed for Oldham, it tells me only one thing, and that’s we were never interested. For me that’s a good thing. I know there are many Wallace lovers out there, but surely he should be sent packing. Our midfield, not including wingers of Harris, norburn, banks, Jenno. that’s 4 class player, and imho much better than the drag on the wage bill once a season Wallace.

Theresa some video that I watched yesterday where Baxter said we were *hit. He’s another waster if you ask me, there’s a few knocking around. As for Wallace if he isn’t 100% pre season then he should be jibbed off until he is. Would like us to get Dale Jennings fit tho, he’s one that we could turn around again, can’t see it tho.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

31 May, 2018 21:06
I think Dale Jennings may have flew over that hump quite a while back unfortunately.

Not a sausage on the web about him, not even on a personal account.

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

31 May, 2018 21:44
Quote:
TranmereFan
Quote:
aktrfc
Quote:
TranmereFan
Quote:
rossb07

[twitter.com]

Good news.

Theresa some video that I watched yesterday where Baxter said we were *hit. He’s another waster if you ask me, there’s a few knocking around. As for Wallace if he isn’t 100% pre season then he should be jibbed off until he is. Would like us to get Dale Jennings fit tho, he’s one that we could turn around again, can’t see it tho.
Thats why he has a preseason to prove his fitness. it he's fit an assett ; breaks down again no contract. Sounds ideal to me. Although obviously he may break down again. So a play as you earn contract. Dale loved his goal against MKD but where is he

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

31 May, 2018 22:29
Would we take this guy back?

[pbs.twimg.com]

Hardly Irons
Hardly Irons (IP Logged)

31 May, 2018 22:30
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
One of the local journos tweeted that we were never after Baxter anyway.
Chester and Wrexham forums (yes, those reliable sources..) seem to think we've had talks with Jay Spearing.

One name I noticed who's free is Jonny Margetts, Scunthorpe having released the player. Not suggesting we go for him but it'll be interesting to see where he ends up - not good enough for Brabin but Lincoln signed him after we released him, and then got a fee for him a few months later from Scunny.

I think I'll follow Trialist H his whole career.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

31 May, 2018 22:42
Quote:
Hardly Irons
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy

Whatever floats your boat. I'd assumed he'd just drifted back into non-league.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

31 May, 2018 23:11
A fit Dale Jenning's could be lethal at league 2 level, but I feel Tranmere are the only club that could rekindle his qualities again.

As for not a sausage about him on the internet, maybe it was too much Bavarian sausage that got him stacking on the chub.

AndyMase
AndyMase (IP Logged)

31 May, 2018 23:28
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
Quote:
Hardly Irons
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy

Whatever floats your boat. I'd assumed he'd just drifted back into non-league.

He looked like a natural goalscorer to me whenever he played but don't think he would fit into a MM regime as he would need to work a lot harder

aktrfc
aktrfc (IP Logged)

01 June, 2018 16:03
Quote:
kennyspint
Quote:
TranmereFan
Quote:
aktrfc
Quote:
TranmereFan
Quote:
rossb07

[twitter.com]

Good news.

Thats why he has a preseason to prove his fitness. it he's fit an assett ; breaks down again no contract. Sounds ideal to me. Although obviously he may break down again. So a play as you earn contract. Dale loved his goal against MKD but where is he

so he proves hes fit, plays 2 games, get a 2 year contract and gets injured in the third game. even with a fully fit wallace, still not worth a chance. If he does get fit, i cant see him wanting to stay on a pay as you play play.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

01 June, 2018 17:59
I know it is being impatient but as the list of available strikers diminishes it is a concern that we have not replaced Cooke yet.It is reasonable to assume that the best strikers go first.So the longer the wait the lower the odds of a 20 goal a season man.
I just hope we are not settling for the option of Stockton.One puplish patch at a lower level sandwiched by not much either side is hardly the answer to a replacement and would look like the kind of lazy choice we made in the decline period.
Of course there may be someone already lined up.
I remember that when we signed Norwood and Cooke each immediately affirmed the hope that we were really aiming to win the national. We need a similar signing relative to League 2

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

01 June, 2018 19:50
Just throwing it out there but maybe MM wants a change of shape and formation and wants to play a 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 when not in possession. We have enough ST's for that.

I'm not saying it's the right thing to do but the guy knows what he's doing and there will be plenty of people 's contracts still running out before next season. I do however have a little sneaky feeling we've already been in touch with those that we wanted and we're either considering options or have as you said, picked someone up not announced yet.

Oh and quickly, we already have a 20 goal a season man on the books so why look elsewhere? winking smiley

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

01 June, 2018 20:05
Quote:
rossb07
Just throwing it out there but maybe MM wants a change of shape and formation and wants to play a 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 when not in possession. We have enough ST's for that.
I'm not saying it's the right thing to do but the guy knows what he's doing and there will be plenty of people 's contracts still running out before next season. I do however have a little sneaky feeling we've already been in touch with those that we wanted and we're either considering options or have as you said, picked someone up not announced yet.

Oh and quickly, we already have a 20 goal a season man on the books so why look elsewhere? winking smiley
Agreed. And let's not sign a big front man so we can resort to hoof ball. Ball on the floor to Nors and Connor anyone

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

01 June, 2018 21:16
Quote:
rossb07

Who on the bench is a twenty goal a season striker, I assume that you cannot mean Alabi who had only one season were his return was reasonable

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

01 June, 2018 21:42
Hadn't realised the transfer window shuts earlier this year, on August 9. A couple of forwards, a wide man, a pacy defender and maybe a creative midfielder would be nice before then, though I suppose we might also wait for a decent loan signing or two in the Autumn again if needed.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

01 June, 2018 22:00
Quote:
DevonExile
Quote:
rossb07

Who on the bench is a twenty goal a season striker, I assume that you cannot mean Alabi who had only one season were his return was reasonable

You may well be forgetting the Lord of the manor.

Cybertron
Cybertron (IP Logged)

01 June, 2018 22:31
Quote:
DevonExile
I know it is being impatient but as the list of available strikers diminishes it is a concern that we have not replaced Cooke yet.It is reasonable to assume that the best strikers go first.So the longer the wait the lower the odds of a 20 goal a season man.
I just hope we are not settling for the option of Stockton.One puplish patch at a lower level sandwiched by not much either side is hardly the answer to a replacement and would look like the kind of lazy choice we made in the decline period.
I remember that when we signed Norwood and Cooke each immediately affirmed the hope that we were really aiming to win the national. We need a similar signing relative to League 2
In fairness to Stockton, he played half the season at Morecombe and scored 10 goals.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

01 June, 2018 22:46
The fact Stockton didn't set the world alight in the SPL at a club averaging around 1,5000 a game, does not mean he could not come back and do well at Tranmere ,as he had done latterly and as stated for Morecambe on a loan spell.

I feel he performed better when he was not getting grief off a small minority.

I would not mind if he was re-signed, because he could potentially do well.

The fact remains that some players go back to past clubs and do well and some don't, but then any signing is a gamble, so the call by some for no past players is understandable, but it represents a slightly limiting recruitment drive, as people would only settle for those unaffordable and too good like Cresswell and Power, or denounce players who might be adequate enough and represent realistic recruitment options, based on the league your in and the financial constraints you work with.

Stockton actually scored 3 in 2 at league 2 level including a double against Morecambe until he got injured and missed several weeks.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

01 June, 2018 23:02
Quote:
Cybertron
Quote:
DevonExile
In fairness to Stockton, he played half the season at Morecombe and scored 10 goals.

Stockton has had far too many chances here. A lot NOT a small minority of fans don't want him back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2018 23:08 by Hoots Mon.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

01 June, 2018 23:29
I agree there may be more people that wouldn't like to see him re-sign that those that would.

That being said, i'm firmly in the 'could give 2 hoots aslong as he came in and did a job' side of things. And i imagine there are far more of these sort of people than there are of the above 2!

Honestly though, do we really care how many chances he's had in the past if he did ever come back and played like he did the last time we saw him in a white shirt?

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

02 June, 2018 04:04
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Cybertron
Quote:
DevonExile

Stockton has had far too many chances here. A lot NOT a small minority of fans
don't want him back.
And there we have it... Is it any wonder he wanted away with comments like that. Personally I always felt it was a minority but like so much stuff nowadays a vocal minority tends to drown out the silent majority. Personally I would think Cole could do a job for us and is not a gamble in that sense.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

02 June, 2018 10:46
Quote:
ADD
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Cybertron
Quote:
DevonExile
I remember that when we signed Norwood and Cooke each immediately affirmed the hope that we were really aiming to win the national. We need a similar signing

relative to League 2

don't want him back.
And there we have it... Is it any wonder he wanted away with comments like that. Personally I always felt it was a minority but like so much stuff nowadays a vocal minority tends to drown out the silent majority. Personally I would think Cole could do a job for us and is not a gamble in that sense.

I agree with you, when he left he had finally started to play well for Tranmere and scored some fine goals. The team had started to gel and he had gained confidence and form. But hey, why would he return when, as I saw and heard at some matches, numpties swearing at him and calling him a useless expletive-deleted.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

02 June, 2018 12:56
Quote:
853OKG
Quote:
ADD
Quote:
Hoots Mon
Quote:
Cybertron
Quote:
DevonExile
I remember that when we signed Norwood and Cooke each immediately affirmed the hope that we were really aiming to win the national. We need a similar signing

relative to League 2

don't want him back.
I was never a

I agree with you, when he left he had finally started to play well for Tranmere and scored some fine goals. The team had started to gel and he had gained confidence and form. But hey, why would he return when, as I saw and heard at some matches, numpties swearing at him and calling him a useless expletive-deleted.

I was not an anti Stockton poster when he was here and my comments above relate to his whole career.He had a good patch before he left but is not rated bu Carlisle supporters.
My point was that unlike the signing of Cooke and Norwood which reflected ambition and both had a compelling record the resigning of Stockton would look mundane even by national league standards and far from convincing in terms of Div2 aspirations

pez
pez (IP Logged)

02 June, 2018 13:01
Stockton has not reached anywhere near the form he was in before he left Tranmere, so I would pass on this one.

Don't forget, he also went North of the border which meant we were denied any development fee we may have gotten had he gone to an English club direct.

He had half a season where he played well for Rovers, I reckon there's better options for Micky than Stockton returning tbh.

Micky's recruitment will surely depend on whether he has any money to spend on transfer fees or whether he's having to look at free agents only.

Andrade and Dennis have been snapped up already, but Danny Rowe could probably be bought for the right price, although Fylde don't seem to need the cash as they are quite affluent on the money front.

Hoots Mon
Hoots Mon (IP Logged)

02 June, 2018 13:27
Quote:
pez
Stockton has not reached anywhere near the form he was in before he left Tranmere, so I would pass on this one.
Don't forget, he also went North of the border which meant we were denied any development fee we may have gotten had he gone to an English club direct.

He had half a season where he played well for Rovers, I reckon there's better options for Micky than Stockton returning tbh.

Micky's recruitment will surely depend on whether he has any money to spend on transfer fees or whether he's having to look at free agents only.

Andrade and Dennis have been snapped up already, but Danny Rowe could probably be bought for the right price, although Fylde don't seem to need the cash as they are quite affluent on the money front.

+1

And contrary to what others have inferred from my post above,I was not anti him when he was here but I've changed my mind since he departed.

Fiftyyearsarover

02 June, 2018 13:27
Yes it bothers me to .any decent players are already getting snapped up .i know it’s only early days but the early bird catches the worm .recruitment on a shoestring approaching I fear

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

02 June, 2018 15:00
Strikers even at L2 level are of course the most expensive made worse by the fact we are carrying for this season 2 already which hardly anyone thinks will do the job for us. If we can't move them on and frankly why would anyone be rushing to take them this is likely to hang over us all pre season. MP has to balance budgets and despite the season ticket sales do we have the cash to pay any fees? I don't know.

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

02 June, 2018 15:38
Money will indeed be tight, as we have to account for previous seasons losses however, do we not receive approx. £1 Million as a FL2 club, in addition to sponsorship, season tickets and gate receipts?

Surely the wages fund will be bigger than last season when our parachute payments stopped?

bheadlad
bheadlad (IP Logged)

02 June, 2018 17:03
Checking the Carlisle United website it shows that Stockton is contracted as a player with them till the January transfer window and unless mutually agreed would in effect a fee
We still need a striker and if we can’t afford aL2 or above then other than Rowe would any other NL Striker be worth a punt

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

02 June, 2018 18:09
Macauley Bonne seemed to impress a few people and was up there in the goalscoring charts. Not too shabby in the air either but preferred it on the deck from what i saw live and from some highlights.

Whether he'd move up north is something to consider...

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

02 June, 2018 18:20
There’s probably loads out there we haven’t even thought or know about, Stockton has never proven himself to be a Cook type asset, so why bother?.

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

02 June, 2018 22:26
Newcastle want to offload Ivan Toney as part of a drive to free up squad spaces and a bit of money for new recruits. He's got a decent scoring record at L1 and for Micky at Shrewsbury. He might require a fee, but if free he'd definitely be worth looking at, but then again any fee might be within Tranmere's scope, it would depend on Newcastle's expectations, but as he's mostly played in league 1 it's not like they would expect a championship club to be sniffing around for a £1,000,000+ fee, so he could be affordable if the asking price was around £250,000 or lower, as there would be the purported £500,000 for promotion to help pay for it.

kennyspint
kennyspint (IP Logged)

02 June, 2018 23:14
TBH I'd really like Connor and Nors up front with passing foot ball and no hoof ball

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

03 June, 2018 01:11
If the club feels Stockton can recapture his form of 1-2 years ago then I'd be happy to have him back. But I'd see him initially as third in the pecking order, behind both Nors and the 25 goal mystery man we haven't yet signed.

Fiftyyearsarover

03 June, 2018 09:37
Agree with TranmereFan there is some good players about we don’t know ,but if you don’t have a scout or 2 we won’t .when watching sky Saturday afternoon when a score pops up Jeff Stirling will say ,perhaps ,that’s his 20th goal of the season ,he scored 26 last season .he says stuff like that most weeks ,ok it will be a Scottish club .but it’s a day out to check them out .there was a club I forget who .they have just been promoted .probably 7th tier or there about had a guy score 67 goals for the season it’s only petrol money to check people out .if you find one good one it’s worth the effort

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

03 June, 2018 10:57
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
Agree with TranmereFan there is some good players about we don’t know ,but if you don’t have a scout or 2 we won’t .when watching sky Saturday afternoon when a score pops up Jeff Stirling will say ,perhaps ,that’s his 20th goal of the season ,he scored 26 last season .he says stuff like that most weeks ,ok it will be a Scottish club .but it’s a day out to check them out .there was a club I forget who .they have just been promoted .probably 7th tier or there about had a guy score 67 goals for the season it’s only petrol money to check people out .if you find one good one it’s worth the effort

Not entirely sure after looking who it could be.

That being said, a mate I grew up with all the way through school scores an average of something like 50+ goals and he’s at Runcorn Town atm but was slotting them away for Lairds also. Saw he was spoken about on here last pre-season (his name is Craig Cairns).

I believe we have something of a scouting setup with the additional software that’s available to clubs these days.

Fiftyyearsarover

03 June, 2018 12:52
The guy who scored 67 goals was in the none League paper last week ,should have noted his name and team

Temple Road
Temple Road (IP Logged)

03 June, 2018 13:34
Quote:
Fiftyyearsarover
The guy who scored 67 goals was in the none League paper last week ,should have noted his name and team

Shane Cooper-Clarke Plays for Thatcham Town in the Hellenic League just won them the League and FA Vase. He is 25 and scored 62 goals this season and a Roofer by trade.

May be we can buy him on the Slate?

Keep the faith

jal jal
jal jal (IP Logged)

03 June, 2018 18:21
Double Post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2018 18:45 by jal jal.

jal jal
jal jal (IP Logged)

03 June, 2018 18:43
Pez posted this below:

As an Imps fan and one who also follows Rovers, the problem is signing players who you need to sign, are players that are better than the ones you are trying to replace and the transfer fees are dearer, but it's not always the transfer fee for the player that's the stumbling block, but the problem comes with the players wages and also the agents fees added on which is the problem.
But also as you'll find out some of these Div 2 teams are quite further up the pecking order with their money than the likes of Rovers and Lincoln, so that,s why the players you might want are snapped up by these teams in Div 2 who are better off finacial wise.

So what I was getting round to saying was about MM looking at Free Agents only is not a bad idea as this is what the Lincoln manager Danny Cowley is doing also this season.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

03 June, 2018 21:02
Quote:
Matt34
Newcastle want to offload Ivan Toney as part of a drive to free up squad spaces and a bit of money for new recruits. He's got a decent scoring record at L1 and for Micky at Shrewsbury. He might require a fee, but if free he'd definitely be worth looking at, but then again any fee might be within Tranmere's scope, it would depend on Newcastle's expectations, but as he's mostly played in league 1 it's not like they would expect a championship club to be sniffing around for a £1,000,000+ fee, so he could be affordable if the asking price was around £250,000 or lower, as there would be the purported £500,000 for promotion to help pay for it.

250k???? We’ve shut the acadamey and laid staff off, argued the toss with Chester over 20 odd k. He might affordable for half a Newcy Brown and a Jammy dodger.

Fiftyyearsarover

04 June, 2018 00:23
Thanks templeroad .that player from Thatcham is indeed the 62goals for the season man .that takes some going in any League .Brackley have some really good players .good enough to beat Ebbsfleet or was it Bromley ?

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

05 June, 2018 00:19
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
Matt34

250k???? We’ve shut the acadamey and laid staff off, argued the toss with Chester over 20 odd k. He might affordable for half a Newcy Brown and a Jammy dodger.

That was necessary last season however when there was no guarantee of promotion.

Now Tranmere are in a league with more TV money, higher attendances and a promotion bursary, so therefore there will be increased spend and it's not 100% impossible that Mark Palios might have £250,000 to spend on a player, as that would represent around half of the promotion money.

I'm not saying they look like a club who can spend such a figure on a player now, but I also don't think it's totally implausible either, not least as the sponsorship's, partnerships and profits from a hotel are in place now, as well as better accounting, compared to last time in League 2.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

05 June, 2018 07:53
Flicking through Twitter (were i saw the Gino news) and have seen quite a few people mentioning a signing being announced by us today at some point...

Could be something out of nothing of course.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

06 June, 2018 06:28
Quote:
Matt34
Quote:
Higgosboots
Quote:
Matt34

That was necessary last season however when there was no guarantee of promotion.

Now Tranmere are in a league with more TV money, higher attendances and a promotion bursary, so therefore there will be increased spend and it's not 100% impossible that Mark Palios might have £250,000 to spend on a player, as that would represent around half of the promotion money.

I'm not saying they look like a club who can spend such a figure on a player now, but I also don't think it's totally implausible either, not least as the sponsorship's, partnerships and profits from a hotel are in place now, as well as better accounting, compared to last time in League 2.

So easy

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

16 June, 2018 02:16
Apparently Omar Bogle is to move on loan to a L2 club in the next few days.

Clutching at straws but hopefully as he spent a little time in the area with Wigan then we could be in with a shout.

Whoever he goes to at this level, he'll score them goals.

trfc-boi
trfc-boi (IP Logged)

16 June, 2018 08:48
Mark Palios was on Radio Merseyside last night, speaks plenty of sense, says 3 to 4 new players & backups plans being looked into, maybe 1 odd loan, he menetioned importantance having squad sorted early..watch this space

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/06/2018 08:49 by trfc-boi.

MESSAGES->author
Phil65 (IP Logged)

16 June, 2018 09:21
Quote:
trfc-boi
Mark Palios was on Radio Merseyside last night, speaks plenty of sense, says 3 to 4 new players & backups plans being looked into, maybe 1 odd loan, he menetioned importantance having squad sorted early..watch this space

Indeed. I think we need to learn from FGR experience last season, although the whole season, no doubt, will be a learning experience.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

16 June, 2018 17:23
Three or four more does not sound a lot when you consider those released,those returned to parent club and those who have refused contracts.On the other hand 3 to 4 high quality players would be very significant.High quality however means something better than ex Rovers re-treads.
Inevitably what happens this year will be benchmarked against the pretty inept recuitment of last summer.We really have to get it right this time round.We new last year that the retained core of the squad was proven at national level.This year we do not have that cushion as wait to see which players can respond well to the greater demands of L2

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

16 June, 2018 23:43
Quote:
rossb07
Clutching at straws but hopefully as he spent a little time in the area with Wigan then we could be in with a shout.

Especially if Max Power bums up the club to him.

MESSAGES->author
Rizla (IP Logged)

17 June, 2018 15:33
Mangan has signed for Bala Town!!!!!

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

17 June, 2018 15:51
Quote:
Rizla
Mangan has signed for Bala Town!!!!!

So he could well be playing in the Europa League, Bala Town are in the preliminary round of the tournament and will play a team from San Marino called Tre Fiori.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

17 June, 2018 15:53
Would of thought he would of got a league 2 club

MESSAGES->author
Matt34 (IP Logged)

18 June, 2018 00:05
I think he could have done that, but maybe the deal is for a short term, just to get some goals impress then move on to a bigger club.

Also Tre Fiori are one of the 2-3 poorest quality CC teams in that competition, so Bala could beat them and then he could potentially get teams like Man City, Besiktas, Dortmund etc to play against, as they would be in that next part of the competition.

Though I agree league 2 or SCC would have been a good shout for him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net