football
Latest News:

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

Key Decisions
15 May, 2018 20:44
The EFL look like following the premier in having a shorter transfer window. Does that mean that we can soon expect an announcement about MMs contract.
With a retained list to determine and then the need to make decisions about additions it seems reasonable to expect that the position of the manager should be quickly agreed.
With such a vital summer of recuitment it is hard to imagine that MP would want to be looking for a new manager

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

Re: Key Decisions
15 May, 2018 21:12
He and the players who's contracts are up soon all run until the end of May/June (delete as appropriate) so no real rush, let them enjoy a holiday for a few weeks.

That being said, if we look anywhere else for a manager then it's a mistake imo as he deserves a chance.

Jack of all Trades
Jack of all Trades (IP Logged)

15 May, 2018 21:31
MM already has a FL2 Champions on his CV, bringing Shrewsbury straight back up to FL1 after their relegation (the same year, I think, that we were relegated to the VNL)

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

15 May, 2018 23:11
It is only three days after the play off final....

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

15 May, 2018 23:51
Quote:
853OKG

That's a long time for some of us to go without a moan or a worry!

Can't for the life of me see MM going anywhere else. Saw a quote from Palios today describing him as a great manager.

ADD
ADD (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 02:11
Quote:
Aldo'smuzzy
Quote:
853OKG

That's a long time for some of us to go without a moan or a worry!

Can't for the life of me see MM going anywhere else. Saw a quote from Palios today describing him as a great manager.
Correct we have to have something to fret on! That is the Tranmere way after all.
MM is an interesting one. I thought if we didn't go up he would likely go as he was out of contract and had not achieved what he was brought in to achieve. So then question is does a win in a one off play off change that rationale. Logically it shouldn't change the decision but the reality is it likely will. I was critical of MM earlier in season but he did turn it around after being backed with more money by MP in the form of loan players. The critical issue for me remains his recruitment last close season was terrible. How does MP ensure that we do not waste precious money this close season on the likes of Alabi and Waring? Will be exciting times either way!

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 06:39
How can anyone criticise anything MM has done we got promoted therefore his decisions were all correct. The fact we started like relegation fodder and still ended up in league 2 is testiment to the man's managment. The players as individuals have improved 10 fold under him. I have no doubt he will be offered terms it's then down to him things take time I'm sure MP is fully aware of transfer windows and has had every indication of the from the manger what he will be doing if he was leaving we'd know it now

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 09:21
Agree with ADD .he had a shocking couple of months when we were near the bottom ,his recruitment needs to be a lot better this time around .changing the team all the time .dropping Cook was a stroke of madness .once he put Cook back in and settled with the same team most weeks and realised we needed wingers .it eventually fell into place and here we are today .but he wasted a lot of money with poor recruitment ,hopefully he will get it right this time around .the last couple of months culminating in the win at Wembley he has been spot on and the players have really bonded ,he is rightly taking the plaudits for getting the result we all needed .but he has been found wanting on occasions,but I am sure he will get another contract .his big job now is to get Cook to stay ,not sure Cook has forgiven him for dropping him for Wembley last year and then leaving him on the bench for a while before getting his eurica moment and putting him back in the team .interesting days ahead .Norwood and Cook appear to be good friends so perhaps he can talk him into staying .we will need those 2 for sure

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 10:23
I think it is more accurate to say the team had a shocking start...

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 11:27
Every manager makes mistakes, even at the highest level. The bad ones keep on repeating them, the good ones recognise them, fix them and learn from them. I remember the Shrewsbury fans coming on here telling us it's deja vu when we were struggling early season, and MM would surely have recognised the similarities with how his time there ended. It's to his enormous credit that, under increasing pressure, he identified the problems, changed whatever needed changing to fix them, and turned the whole season around.

MESSAGES->author
TranmereFan (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 11:28
MM’s performance at Wembley was masterful. Key decisions made by the bench won us promotion. The guys a legend.

Aldo'smuzzy
Aldo'smuzzy (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 11:36
Quote:
TranmereFan
MM’s performance at Wembley was masterful. Key decisions made by the bench won us promotion. The guys a legend.

+1
Not forgetting his surging run on goal after the final whistle. Until Norburn cynically took him out!
#thenewdavidpleat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/05/2018 13:02 by Aldo'smuzzy.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 12:26
Cook missed 3 league games all season, hardly left out by MM.

I think they know why he didn’t start at Wembley last season but If I had to hazard a guess, I believe it had more to do with balance than a ‘falling out’ otherwise why would he still be playing for us now and has shown to want to improve him game under MM.

No drama to be seen and MM deservedly getting his plaudits.

MESSAGES->author
Rizla (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 12:50
Quote:
TranmereFan

Tactical genius.

mrGr33n13
mrGr33n13 (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 12:54
The Jennings sub was one of the boldest subsistutions I've seen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/05/2018 13:22 by mrGr33n13.

Briantrfc
Briantrfc (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 13:45
[quote rossb07]Cook missed 3 league games all season, hardly left out by MM.

I think they know why he didn’t start at Wembley last season but If I had to hazard a guess, I believe it had more to do with balance than a ‘falling out’ otherwise why would he still be playing for us now and has shown to want to improve him game under MM.

Cook missed 3 league games but was only brought on as a late impact sub for about 5-6 games which didnt work, it shows when you look at his stats and danny rowes..... he has played 760+ minites less than rowe.

So to me yes he had been left out by MM

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 13:48
The thread was not intended as a fret.More a recognition that there is decision to be made about the manager at a time when there will be massive decisions to be made around the squad.
My assumption was and is that MP has already made the decision in principle and it would be a surprise both if Mellon was not staying and that MP had not already confirmed the situation to MM.
I do not feel that these are issues that the club have to announce publicly at this point.?Silence is the most likely indicator of business as usuaal and if that assumption is correct MM will already be planning. Managers can go on holiday but I doubt that MM is not the sort that will also be combining any break with a fair bit of planning.

andyc209
andyc209 (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 15:03
think for me the worry is we don't want some of the out-of-contract players we want to keep (Cookie and Jenno) being tempted by offers from money-bags clubs who have nothing better to do now and whose season has been over for a week or so and are already planning.

Fiftyyearsarover
Fiftyyearsarover (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 16:03
Yes agree don’t wait see who is staying or not get it sorted ASAP .plus then can go for some decent released players before the sharks appear .the early bird catches the worm

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 18:11
Awful lot of naivety on here. Clubs are inundated with requests for trials, CV's, emails from agents etc etc. It's not as simple as "Oh we want him". It's a cut throat business, Its not cut and dried we will resign any out of contract player. Take Norwood for example his value went up immediately that final whistle went, 2nd top scorer in NL game winning header England C International, people will be interested, but offers will come in who knows his agent may even be touting him. Same for the manager, Cook etc etc. The chairman has other issues to take care of ensuring we meet league requirements. As far as players it's less scouting a player and more dipping into the tombola of applications and taking a gamble. MMs signings last year on paper were good and may still prove to be, McCeverley should have been a safe bet current SPL player Championship experience early 30,s on paper the gamble was fitness not quality, Waring youngster at a PL club known to the manager for me he will do well in league 2 the requirements being different. Alabi 17 goals at a now relegated side, the math would say he had 10 goals minimum in him for us.

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 18:53
Quote:
Higgosboots
Awful lot of naivety on here. Clubs are inundated with requests for trials, CV's, emails from agents etc etc. It's not as simple as "Oh we want him". It's a cut throat business, Its not cut and dried we will resign any out of contract player. Take Norwood for example his value went up immediately that final whistle went, 2nd top scorer in NL game winning header England C International, people will be interested, but offers will come in who knows his agent may even be touting him. Same for the manager, Cook etc etc. The chairman has other issues to take care of ensuring we meet league requirements. As far as players it's less scouting a player and more dipping into the tombola of applications and taking a gamble. MMs signings last year on paper were good and may still prove to be, McCeverley sho
uld have been a safe bet current SPL player Championship experience early 30,s on paper the gamble was fitness not quality, Waring youngster at a PL club known to the manager for me he will do well in league 2 the requirements being different. Alabi 17 goals at a now relegated side, the math would say he had 10 goals minimum in him for us.

Again, I think you have a lot of good points there

borowhite
borowhite (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 19:34
Can't agree with the comment about McEveley. Safe bet? Not only did we replace a quick CB with a slow one but Ross County had also signed him on a two year deal and then let him walk away midway through. That would have set alarm bells ringing straight away for me - he was finished long before he got here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/05/2018 19:34 by borowhite.

trfc-boi
trfc-boi (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 19:59
Players leaving, I think McEverley, Dunn, Gumbs, Kirby, Mangan, Wallace, Alabi & Waring, frees up money for new players

Jack of all Trades

16 May, 2018 20:06
Unfortunately, some you mention are still under contract for next season and it would have to be by "mutual consent" and probably would still cost money in certain instances.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/05/2018 20:16 by Jack of all Trades.

Jack of all Trades

16 May, 2018 20:15
In respect of JA no one can dispute that his performances were very poor however, he did join late due to the protracted dealings with Chester and created a false dawn with his 5 against Lairds.

In his defence, in the first 13 games the team performances were pretty poor as well and we were playing without wide men generally. Unless someone comes in for him or a by "mutual consent" deal is done, he will be here next season.

If the status quo is maintained Cookie and Nors will be first choice but, a full pre season and a different style of play may kick start his career?

Yiggsy
Yiggsy (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 21:05
With regards to Alabi I have stated previously on this forum that, back to goal, he couldn't trap a bag of sand but facing the goal was a different player with his powerful running.

As noted above, we had no wingers at the time and Rides was also below par in terms of crossing. Opponents sat back on us so counter-attacking was rare.

In the right team with the right set-up and tactics I think he can still make a contribution. Whether it is with us is another matter.

Hope it works out for him wherever he ends up.

rossb07
rossb07 (IP Logged)

16 May, 2018 21:37
Quote:
Yiggsy
With regards to Alabi I have stated previously on this forum that, back to goal, he couldn't trap a bag of sand but facing the goal was a different player with his powerful running.
As noted above, we had no wingers at the time and Rides was also below par in terms of crossing. Opponents sat back on us so counter-attacking was rare.

In the right team with the right set-up and tactics I think he can still make a contribution. Whether it is with us is another matter.

Hope it works out for him wherever he ends up.

Agree, i think we'll be more counter-attacking than 'dictating' the game as in the past season. He could well fair a little better than having people on his back because he didn't bang a hat-trick in every game in a league some expected us to win at a canter.

DevonExile
DevonExile (IP Logged)

17 May, 2018 07:53
That really is an over statement.He looked poor because he was poor.It was not tactics but his own skills. His goal return at Dover and his impact was also negligible.Many On the Chester forum thought him poor even before he left and despite his goals.
There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that he is a league player .
Also add that Higgo is right about the complexities but equally any club wanting to retain a player will start the negotiation now, Each day there is evidence of players capable of having an range of options signing new contracts.
I would be pretty certain that Rovers are already in negotiation.Hopefelly the club is astute enough to to know the wage level they are prepared to go to in any negotiation and once that offer is reached they put a clear time limit on take it or leave it. What we cannot afford is for the process to be too protracted and then to end up with the player going and the pool of potential replacements having shrunk.
Agents are a reality in the game but clubs do not have to let them dictate timescales..We are a better run club than in the past and I am sure that Rovers will be adroit in their contract dealings

MoanerLesser
853OKG (IP Logged)

17 May, 2018 09:09
Surely it is the case that there will now be a bigger and 'better quality' pool of players to choose from than has been the case during the non league period.

Eric01 Tranmere
Eric01 Tranmere (IP Logged)

17 May, 2018 21:15
I think something, somewhere in this article says how we got where we got;

[www.independent.co.uk]

It's absolutely not short term.

Higgosboots
Higgosboots (IP Logged)

17 May, 2018 21:36
Our lack of pace at the back and n midfield worries me already and hopefully Micky especially as I sit and watch Exeter Lincoln.

MESSAGES->author
hong kong rover (IP Logged)

18 May, 2018 10:08
Quote:
Higgosboots
Our lack of pace at the back and n midfield worries me already and hopefully Micky especially as I sit and watch Exeter Lincoln.

So we will be seeing those Cowley brothers again next season, Higgo.. opening day fixture..
Rovers 3-0 Imps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net